• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Indoor practice facility

getgrizzy said:
Bottom line is injuries are more apt to occur when we play Power 5 schools, than when we play fcs or lower classification schools, which we agree on.

I’m not sure why anyone would argue otherwise.

You mean, other than the fact that your statement is pure conjecture? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PlayerRep said:
SoldierGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
SoldierGriz said:
Any specific anecdotes...names of players who healed up after starting, but not finishing a game?

Any anecdotes of players injured during a play down game?

What about 1s vs 2s in live scrimmages? Hope that never happens.

I've provided my stats and arguments. Time for you to provide some data. Put-up or shut up.

I'm just glad no injuries occur during play down games. I only assume this is the case because there are no lists. Same with intra-squad scrimmages. I think the Griz have some of those coming up. Hopefully these will balance the bloodbath coming from the Oregon game. Need to stay healthy this season.

Have you ever seen a Griz report following any game, in which the Griz had more injuries than the week after the Oregon game?

Does it concern you at all that UM didn't have its starting qb after the 2 Wyoming games and the Iowa games? I haven't check UW and Tennessee, but assume UM had it's starting qb for the following weeks.

Personally, I think it would hurt the Griz, or any team, to lose its starting qb after 60% of its games.
You're right; it certainly hurt the Griz to lose their starting QB for 70% of their 2017 games from that injury sustained in that Savannah State game.

AZGrizFan said:
getgrizzy said:
Bottom line is injuries are more apt to occur when we play Power 5 schools, than when we play fcs or lower classification schools, which we agree on.

You mean, other than the fact that your statement is pure conjecture? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The laws of physics aren’t pure conjecture.

PlayerRep said:
Injuries after Oregon game in 2005. 12 injuries going into the next week. Who's going to be the first to say that UM always has 12 injuries of top players after the first game? Was it Raider who said he couldn't remember any injuries after the Oregon game?

"But that injury list is still pretty long.

The most important loss is linebacker Loren Utterback, a starter on the strong side. His father Brad confirmed on Tuesday that the 218-pound sophomore suffered a broken foot with around eight minutes left in the game. The Fort Benton product had surgery Monday, and will be out 6-8 weeks.

At Montana's weekly press conference, head coach Bobby Hauck noted 12 injuries, without giving specifics.

Hauck listed defensive tackle Alan Saenz, defensive end Mike Murphy, corners Quentin Jackson and Tuff Harris and receiver Jon Talmage as probable; safety Colt Anderson, defensive tackle Jesse Carlson and guard Jason Frink as questionable; and corner Chris Clark, running back JR Waller and Utterback doubtful; and safety Jake McCarthy, who was hurt on the opening kickoff, as out."

https://missoulian.com/sports/injuries-hit-griz-hard-in-week/article_0e42d240-3282-50f8-a1f1-cffe0e9e8b9d.html

I guess Hauck wasn’t one it your sources on coaches who don’t like these games.

With everything considered, Hauck said the possibility exists for similar games.

"I think it was a good game for us," he said. "There are very few teams that will make it worth our while to go play them, and Oregon is one. If they're willing to make it financially worthwhile, I think it's worth it to go play them."

SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
It's the number who get injured, not whether some did and some didn't. I assume you understand that?

Your second para is what I've been doing all along, based on observation and memory, what coaches and athletic directors have said, anecdotes, etc. I take the well-informed opinion of UM coaches and athletic directors over any of the posters in this thread. Having played D-I football, and having followed several teams including UM closely for decades, I also believe my opinion on the subject is more informed that virtually anyone posting in the thread.

Everyone in the thread is welcome to state how and why they think they are well-informed.

Do you realise that your first sentence contradicts itself? The number who get injured is by definition a very simple mathematical equation based on if "some did and some didn't".

As to the second paragraph, my mistake was being less clear. By a comparison I didn't a comparison of various parties opinions, I meant numbers and data.

No, the first sentence doesn't contradict itself. Yes, the number hurt is a number. Then it would be used to calculate percentage of players hurt, number of starters or key players, etc. Again, of course, some players get hurt in a game and some/most don't. That is a given in any game, unless there is a game where zero people on a team get hurt in any respect.

Your last sentence of the last para has a typo so it isn't clear what you meant to say.

Yeah that last sentence needed some proof reading. What I meant to say was; By a comparison I didn't MEAN a comparison of various party's opinions, I meant an actual comparison using numbers and data.

Anecdotal stuff doesn't work for this particular discussion;

Jordan Johnson got hurt vs Wyoming, Reese Phillips didn't get hurt against UW
Reese Phillips got hurt vs Savannah State, Jordan Johnson didn't get hurt against Tennessee.

This is all meaningless without number crunching.

That's what I've been trying to say. We need PR to find some numbers and more lists, so we can decide whether to retain him for the lawsuits against the ADs. Lots of numbers and lots of lists are key. And more anecdotes. Those are also key.

PlayerRep said:
Injuries after Oregon game in 2005. 12 injuries going into the next week. Who's going to be the first to say that UM always has 12 injuries of top players after the first game? Was it Raider who said he couldn't remember any injuries after the Oregon game?

The most important loss is linebacker Loren Utterback, a starter on the strong side. His father Brad confirmed on Tuesday that the 218-pound sophomore suffered a broken foot with around eight minutes left in the game. The Fort Benton product had surgery Monday, and will be out 6-8 weeks.

At Montana's weekly press conference, head coach Bobby Hauck noted 12 injuries, without giving specifics.

Hauck listed defensive tackle Alan Saenz, defensive end Mike Murphy, corners Quentin Jackson and Tuff Harris and receiver Jon Talmage as probable; safety Colt Anderson, defensive tackle Jesse Carlson and guard Jason Frink as questionable; and corner Chris Clark, running back JR Waller and Utterback doubtful; and safety Jake McCarthy, who was hurt on the opening kickoff, as out."

https://missoulian.com/sports/injuries-hit-griz-hard-in-week/article_0e42d240-3282-50f8-a1f1-cffe0e9e8b9d.html

Well, you were asked to provide anecdotes, and BOOM! You provided specifics. Well done. :thumb: :clap:

SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
It's the number who get injured, not whether some did and some didn't. I assume you understand that?

Your second para is what I've been doing all along, based on observation and memory, what coaches and athletic directors have said, anecdotes, etc. I take the well-informed opinion of UM coaches and athletic directors over any of the posters in this thread. Having played D-I football, and having followed several teams including UM closely for decades, I also believe my opinion on the subject is more informed that virtually anyone posting in the thread.

Everyone in the thread is welcome to state how and why they think they are well-informed.

Do you realise that your first sentence contradicts itself? The number who get injured is by definition a very simple mathematical equation based on if "some did and some didn't".

As to the second paragraph, my mistake was being less clear. By a comparison I didn't a comparison of various parties opinions, I meant numbers and data.

No, the first sentence doesn't contradict itself. Yes, the number hurt is a number. Then it would be used to calculate percentage of players hurt, number of starters or key players, etc. Again, of course, some players get hurt in a game and some/most don't. That is a given in any game, unless there is a game where zero people on a team get hurt in any respect.

Your last sentence of the last para has a typo so it isn't clear what you meant to say.

Yeah that last sentence needed some proof reading. What I meant to say was; By a comparison I didn't MEAN a comparison of various party's opinions, I meant an actual comparison using numbers and data.

Reese Phillips got hurt vs Savannah State, Jordan Johnson didn't get hurt against Tennessee.

I provided some numbers. A ton of people got injured against Oregon. 3 starting qb's in 5 play up games not available for the next game.

Feel free to provide your own numbers that few players get hurt in play up games.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
SoldierGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
I've provided my stats and arguments. Time for you to provide some data. Put-up or shut up.

I'm just glad no injuries occur during play down games. I only assume this is the case because there are no lists. Same with intra-squad scrimmages. I think the Griz have some of those coming up. Hopefully these will balance the bloodbath coming from the Oregon game. Need to stay healthy this season.

Have you ever seen a Griz report following any game, in which the Griz had more injuries than the week after the Oregon game?

Does it concern you at all that UM didn't have its starting qb after the 2 Wyoming games and the Iowa games? I haven't check UW and Tennessee, but assume UM had it's starting qb for the following weeks.

Personally, I think it would hurt the Griz, or any team, to lose its starting qb after 60% of its games.
You're right; it certainly hurt the Griz to lose their starting QB for 70% of their 2017 games from that injury sustained in that Savannah State game.

Does the UM qb get hurt in 60% of the games UM plays, or just 60% of those 5 play up games against top/good FBS programs? Answer: UM qb's don't get hurt very much in non-play up games. Let's use the last 25 years. Let's see you stats. No anecdotes for one game or one year.

alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:

I guess Hauck wasn’t one it your sources on coaches who don’t like these games.

With everything considered, Hauck said the possibility exists for similar games.

"I think it was a good game for us," he said. "There are very few teams that will make it worth our while to go play them, and Oregon is one. If they're willing to make it financially worthwhile, I think it's worth it to go play them."

I have never said any coach or AD didn't like the FBS games. I said they various coaches and AD's have told me that they believe the risk of injury is higher in those games. I also believe that to be true.

Why can't you stick to the subtopic? Why do you have to make up straw man arguments? Answer: because you know that you can't refute my assertion. You need to try to move the goalposts to argue something else.

getgrizzy said:
AZGrizFan said:
getgrizzy said:

The laws of physics aren’t pure conjecture.

You have no basis for stating that that applies here. There's no empirical evidence that there's any measurable difference. Or, if there is, present it.

PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:

I provided some numbers. A ton of people got injured against Oregon. 3 starting qb's in 5 play up games not available for the next game.

Feel free to provide your own numbers that few players get hurt in play up games.
No one is saying or has said that "few" players get hurt in play up games. Your position is that MORE players get hurt in play up games, and have provided exactly ONE game as your evidence. This isn't a civil case, Mr. Attorney. That won't stand up in court.

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
SoldierGriz said:

Does the UM qb get hurt in 60% of the games UM plays, or just 60% of those 5 play up games against top/good FBS programs? Answer: UM qb's don't get hurt very much in non-play up games. Let's use the last 25 years. Let's see you stats. No anecdotes for one game or one year.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's fucking RICH.

Why don't you tell kem that it's obvious he "never played the game" since he disagrees with your opinion on this. That's your go-to line for anybody ELSE who ever disagrees with you.

Oh, wait. But he DID play the game. Whoops.... :lol: :lol:

I am under the impression that someone that does play football has a greater chance to get hurt than someone that does not play football. And to take it a step further, I will suggest that the more you play, those chances will increase.

Some pretty good stats here, and not one of them says the risk of injury goes up when a team plays up a level.

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/NCAA_Football_Injury_WEB.pdf

grizindabox said:
I am under the impression that someone that does play football has a greater chance to get hurt than someone that does not play football. And to take it a step further, I will suggest that the more you play, those chances will increase.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

poorgriz said:
Some pretty good stats here, and not one of them says the risk of injury goes up when a team plays up a level.

WHOA WHOA WHOA mother*****er!!!!

You keep providing stats like that and you're going to bring this train to a grinding halt WELL before 17 pages. That, I will not abide. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:

Okay, I only looked at the last 4 Play-Up games; UW(2017), Wyoming(2014), Tennessee(2011) and Iowa(2006).

I looked at who played in the play-up game and then whether they played in the next game and then whether they played in the game after that.

UW - David Shaw missed the blow out over Savannah State but played the week after.
Shane Moody appeared in neither of the next two games, don't know if that was injury or he fell out of favour.

Wyoming- Ben Weyer, Jordan Johnson, John Nguyen all missed the game against Central Washington but were back for South Dakota. Caleb Kidder appeared in neither of the next two games.

Tennessee - Matt Hermanson missed the next game against Cal Poly. Brett Kirschner, Bryce Carver, and Chris Bradford appeared in neither of the next two games. None of these four players were starters.

Iowa - Josh Swogger, David Haile, and Dan Carter missed the next game against SDSU but were back for Sac State (Swogger went 14-18, 221, 3TDS). Tyson Johnson and Chris Dyk did not appear in either of the next two games.

I realise that this doesn't mean that players didn't play hurt. To figure out if this is more or less than injury levels in FCS or play down games would take more effort/time than I can currently give. It seems to me that these levels of injury do not seem particularily high or out of proportion to any given Saturday.

SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Okay, I only looked at the last 4 Play-Up games; UW(2017), Wyoming(2014), Tennessee(2011) and Iowa(2006).

I looked at who played in the play-up game and then whether they played in the next game and then whether they played in the game after that.

UW - David Shaw missed the blow out over Savannah State but played the week after.
Shane Moody appeared in neither of the next two games, don't know if that was injury or he fell out of favour.

Wyoming- Ben Weyer, Jordan Johnson, John Nguyen all missed the game against Central Washington but were back for South Dakota. Caleb Kidder appeared in neither of the next two games.

Tennessee - Matt Hermanson missed the next game against Cal Poly. Brett Kirschner, Bryce Carver, and Chris Bradford appeared in neither of the next two games. None of these four players were starters.

Iowa - Josh Swogger, David Haile, and Dan Carter missed the next game against SDSU but were back for Sac State (Swogger went 14-18, 221, 3TDS). Tyson Johnson and Chris Dyk did not appear in either of the next two games.

I realise that this doesn't mean that players didn't play hurt. To figure out if this is more or less than injury levels in FCS or play down games would take more effort/time than I can currently give. It seems to me that these levels of injury do not seem particularily high or out of proportion to any given Saturday.

They have to be higher...physics and all. C'mon. Be better than this!

SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

This level of injury is very high. This proves my point. Look at Wyo. in 1997, That will further prove the point. Also, give us the report on the Oregon game. This further proves my point.

Tyson Johnson tore his ACL at Iowa and didn't play the rest of the season.

poorgriz said:

I can't get into the site. Can you please quote any stat that says the risk of injury doesn't go up in an FBS game? Thanks.

Back