• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Indoor practice facility

sdk.catfish said:
by PlayerRep » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:56 pm
And 2d teamers playing against 1st teasers is not like playing up against Oregon and Washington in full speed games.

So your saying that the 1st and 2nd teams aren't going full speed in practice? And I was told Hauck was a taskmaster. If that is the case it might explain 6-5. Sure glad you go to practice so that you can tell us these important "facts".

Come on, players never get hurt in practice, especially never in non-contact drills, only when they play up. Montana should quit scheduling FBS teams for the sake of the players health.

PlayerRep said:
sdk.catfish said:
If playing "up" causes injuries shouldn't it logically follow that lots of players of our 2nd, 3rd teams, and the rest of those players waiting in the wings, be injured more time than they are healthy. I mean don't they play "up" every practice?

Nope and nope. Practice is not the same as playing in games. If you'd ever played the game, you might have known that. And 2d teamers playing against 1st teasers is not like playing up against Oregon and Washington in full speed games.

So PR, did you ever "play up" in your playing days? If so, were you pissed at the administration and coaches for putting your safety at risk?

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
You mean the guy who was injured at Kentucky, and the guy who injured his lower leg when a big guy tackled and fell on him. Was that lack of intensity on someone's party. Answer: no it wasn't. Just an accident.

And just ask Josh Swogger and Tyson, the punter, and the others who got hurt at Iowa. And the linebacker who got hurt at Oregon and was not the same the rest of the season. And the guys injured at Wyo. years ago, which some coaches and others believed kept UM from winning the national championship.
And those are the only injuries we've suffered in that time span, right? Swogger in 2006; what was it a finger? Anecdotes are interesting, but you still fail to offer any credible data to support your claim. When it's against a cupcake it's an "accident", but when it's against an FBS foe it's because they are so much faster and stronger. No, an accident was the case of Josh Buss, hurting himself seriously lifting. Smacks of narrative, probably because you just don't like to play up.

First I've heard of anyone suggesting the 9-5 2014 team was NC caliber if not for the toll taken at Wyoming, who was only good enough to barely win the game.

First, UM doesn't play up and play the big teams very often. No, these were just a few that came to mind. There are multiple other examples.

Swogger broke his thumb his throwing hand. That's huge injury. Missed one game, I think, and played with a special glove after that for awhile. The punter went out for the season. Huge.

Yes, players get hurt in different ways. However, that's not the topic. The topic is players getting hurt more when UM plays up, especially against top teams. Bigger, faster, stronger, against smaller, slower, less strong players leads to more injuries.

I wasn't referring to the 2014 team. Note the words "years ago".

Show me that the data that proves your point. You no data either, and less anecdotes. Over the years, I have heard this from multiple coaches and multiple athletic directors.

I don't care if the Griz play up. I just don't have an orgasm over an FBS game, like some of you. I've gone to one away FBS game of UM over the years, and that was because I was invited to go on the team charter to Iowa. That was totally cool.

Less anecdotes? There are literally HUNDREDS of players who’ve played up for the Griz, and THOUSANDS who have played up in the FCS without getting injured....there are lots more “anedotes AGAINST your argument than for it, bro. Ha.

Let's talk about percentages. Exceptions don't prove anything. What about the ones who played up and got hurt? That's the topic. The topic isn't how many played up and didn't get hurt.

sdk.catfish said:
by PlayerRep » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:56 pm
And 2d teamers playing against 1st teasers is not like playing up against Oregon and Washington in full speed games.

So your saying that the 1st and 2nd teams aren't going full speed in practice? And I was told Hauck was a taskmaster. If that is the case it might explain 6-5. Sure glad you go to practice so that you can tell us these important "facts".

See 223's above post about tag and thud. Do you really don't understand that games at full speed, and full hitting, are much tougher than practices with thud and tag?

PlayerRep said:
So when you listed as one of your anecdotes, that carnage we suffered from the Wyoming game that many think cost this 9-5 team a NC, you were referring to another year? The only time we have played Wyoming since 1963 was 2014. I was there; other than the storm threat, it was a clean competitive game. I missed the carnage. And our team that year was not a NC caliber team and Wyoming had little to nothing to do with that.

poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
sdk.catfish said:
If playing "up" causes injuries shouldn't it logically follow that lots of players of our 2nd, 3rd teams, and the rest of those players waiting in the wings, be injured more time than they are healthy. I mean don't they play "up" every practice?

Nope and nope. Practice is not the same as playing in games. If you'd ever played the game, you might have known that. And 2d teamers playing against 1st teasers is not like playing up against Oregon and Washington in full speed games.

So PR, did you ever "play up" in your playing days? If so, were you pissed at the administration and coaches for putting your safety at risk?

Is anyone discussing or complaining about safety? Answer: No. The topic is injuries.

I played D-I every game I played. We won the Lambert Trophy one year as the best team in the East. Had we played Penn St, Syracuse, BC, Pitt, Army, Navy, and West Virginia every year, like we played Harvard, Yale and Cornell, I think we would have had a lot more injuries. I think it's funny that some of you never-played-the-gamers don't understand that.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
So when you listed as one of your anecdotes, that carnage we suffered from the Wyoming game that many think cost this 9-5 team a NC, you were referring to another year? The only time we have played Wyoming since 1963 was 2014. I was there; other than the storm threat, it was a clean competitive game. I missed the carnage. And our team that year was not a NC caliber team and Wyoming had little to nothing to do with that.

It must have been a game with someone other than Wyo. My mistake.

If the current Griz team played in the Pac-12, do you think the Griz would not have anymore injuries than they have playing in the Big Sky?

PlayerRep said:
Show me that the data that proves your point. You no data either, and less anecdotes. Over the years, I have heard this from multiple coaches and multiple athletic directors.
My point? We're talking about your point. It is you that takes the position that playing up leads to more injuries. I am reacting to your position, challenging your point mostly because you have no data to back it up. I have never seen data myself that supports that point or the reverse, itself suggesting there is little difference. Your point is no more than your opinion. I have seen injuries in play up games, in play down games, in conf. games, in practice, and exercise and weight training. To pull one out of this list like you have done needs believable supporting data, not anecdotes and not opinion because you played the game and listen to coaches and athletic directors. You have established your opinion.

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:

If the current Griz team played in the Pac-12, do you think the Griz would not have anymore injuries than they have playing in the Big Sky?
It's a silly scenario, so I have not thought about it. So I don't know.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
My point? We're talking about your point. It is you that takes the position that playing up leads to more injuries. I am reacting to your position, challenging your point mostly because you have no data to back it up. I have never seen data myself that supports that point or the reverse, itself suggesting there is little difference. Your point is no more than your opinion. I have seen injuries in play up games, in play down games, in conf. games, in practice, and exercise and weight training. To pull one out of this list like you have done needs believable supporting data, not anecdotes and not opinion because you played the game and listen to coaches and athletic directors. You have established your opinion.

Yes, that's my point. I at least have anecdotal evidence, along with conversations with many coaches and athletic directors. You have nothing.

Again, do you think the Griz would not have more injuries if the team they have now played in the Pac-12? You won't answer that question, because you know damn well that they would have more injuries. Your are absolutely nailed on that question.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:

It's not a silly scenario. It's a question that absolutely proves my point.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:

Just for the record we played Wyoming in 1997 and Brian AhYat was the quarterback and he injured his leg. After that he was never the same until later in his final year 1998 IMO.

PlayerRep said:
Again, do you think the Griz would not have more injuries if the team they have now played in the Pac-12? You won't answer that question, because you know damn well that they would have more injuries. Your are absolutely nailed on that question.

I would say the Paul Wulf Wazzu teams didn't have an unusually high number of injuries, and they were the quality of a bad BSC team.

Griz1 said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:

Just for the record we played Wyoming in 1997 and Brian AhYat was the quarterback and he injured his leg. After that he was never the same until later in his final year 1998 IMO.
You're right; forgot about that. Might have won that one had Ah Yat not gotten hurt. There's a real anecdote for PR. A kid from Columbus, Brian Brown, was a starting DB for Wyoming that year.

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:

It's not a silly scenario. It's a question that absolutely proves my point.
You have done nothing to PROVE your point. A lawyer should know what proof constitutes.

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:

Yes, that's my point. I at least have anecdotal evidence, along with conversations with many coaches and athletic directors. You have nothing.

Declare victory by nailing. LOL. I did answer the question, read more carefully, please. I don't know anymore or any less than you know.

The topic was indoor practice facilities...so do bigger more athletic players have more injuries practicing indoors? Or because they are indoors do they practice with less intensity? I figure by adding this and getting it back on topic we'll get to 17 pages

Well, the Griz will be ok anyway as the AD is scheduling play down games which will negate the injury problem and get us in the play offs. There could be a problem though in the play offs if we advance and play a team with big players. Maybe we should reconsider playing in the play offs as there could be more injuries.

Back