• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Indoor practice facility

Badjuju said:
getgrizzy said:
Badjuju said:
hokeyfine said:
i totally agree with this comment. it's nice to dream about an indoor practice facility, but the reality is that um needs money for academics. The budget isn't balanced yet, enrollment is still falling, etc. i would hope that bodner's focus isn't anywhere near athletic facilities.

I also agree with the comment. I know for a fact, some football players have dismissed the griz because of the academic reasons. Not just losing curriculum, but professors as well! Not good!

Hog wash! Like how many 1 or 2?

I guess we will see how many of the top athletes in the state end up going to UM. Might have a little to do with the recruiting style, I'm told, but that along with the decreasing curriculum doesn't bode well for the griz. You can't blame some of the smarter, "star" athletes for actually wanting to walk away with a real degree. Career options are a deciding factor in choosing a college, believe it or not!

Badjuju, good things are happening at UM despite your commentary. The Business School is the highest rated in the Big Sky Conference and UM is the highest rated university in the state of Montana according to US News & World Report (yes, that's higher than the school 200 miles to the east). UM's accounting program is ranked 16th nationally for schools with less than 17 faculty members and the program had the highest CPA exam pass rate of any public institution in the West. I am a Business School graduate so these are the areas where I have the most familiarity, however, UM has many other top notch programs. I agree that UM will lose a few athletes because we don't have engineering or ag, but beyond that the school pretty much covers all other standard programs and you can still get a quality education in a beautiful location for a reasonable price.

AZGrizFan said:
Badjuju said:
getgrizzy said:
Badjuju said:
I also agree with the comment. I know for a fact, some football players have dismissed the griz because of the academic reasons. Not just losing curriculum, but professors as well! Not good!

Hog wash! Like how many 1 or 2?

I guess we will see how many of the top athletes in the state end up going to UM. Might have a little to do with the recruiting style, I'm told, but that along with the decreasing curriculum doesn't bode well for the griz. You can't blame some of the smarter, "star" athletes for actually wanting to walk away with a real degree. Career options are a deciding factor in choosing a college, believe it or not!

From the UM website, this is the complete list of Bachelor's degrees offered at UM. I'm sorry, but talking about "real degrees" is disingenuous at best. There are lots and lots of "real" degrees offered at UM. Granted there's lots of fluff too, but every school has that. Hell, Bozeman State offers degrees in Interior Design, Culinary Arts, Child Development, China Studies, Horticulture, Film, Global/Multicultural Studies, Human Development, etc., etc., etc.

UM Degrees:
Anthropology
Art
Communicative Sciences and Disorders (see also Speech-Language Pathology)
Media Arts
*Teacher Preparation in Biology option
*Teacher Preparation in General Science option
Accounting
African American Studies
*Archaeology option
*Cultural and Ethnic Diversity option
*Forensic & Biological Anthropology option
*Linguistics option
*Medical Anthropology option
Applied Science
Astronomy
Biochemistry
*Health Professions option
Biology
*Cellular and Molecular Biology option
Ecology and Organismal Biology
*Field Ecology option
*Genetics and Evolution option
*Human Biological Sciences option
*Natural History option
Central and Southwest Asian Studies
Chemistry
*Environmental Chemistry option
*Forensic Chemistry option
*Pharmacology option
Classics
*Classical Civilization option
*Classical Languages option
*Latin option
Communication Studies
*Communication and Human Relationships option
*Organizational Communication option
*Rhetoric and Public Discourse option
Computational Biochemistry
Computer Science
Computer Science - Mathematical Sciences (combined degree program)
Dance
Early Childhood Education (see also Curriculum & Instruction)
East Asian Studies
Economics
Ecosystem Sciences & Restoration
*Aquatic Ecological Restoration option
*Terrestrial Ecological Restoration option
Elementary Education
English
*Creative Writing option
*English Teaching option
*Linguistics option
*Literature and the Environment option
*Literature option
Environmental Studies
Finance
Forestry
French
Geography
*Community & Environmental Planning option
*Physical Geography option
Geosciences
*Earth Science Education option
German
Health and Human Performance
*Exercise Science option
*Public & Community Health option
History
*History Education option
History - Political Science
International Business
International Field Geosciences
Japanese
Journalism (see also Environ Sci & Nat Res Journalism Masters)
Linguistics
Management and Entrepreneurship
Management Information Systems
Marketing
Mathematical Sciences - Computer Science
Mathematics
*Applied Mathematics option
*Combinatorics & Optimization option
*Mathematics Education option
*Pure Mathematics option
*Statistics option
Medical Laboratory Science
Microbiology
Music
Music Education
Native American Studies
Neuroscience
*Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience option
*Cognitive Neuroscience option
Parks, Tourism, and Recreation Management
Pharmaceutical Sciences
Philosophy
Physics
*Astronomy option
*Computational Physics option
Political Science
*American Politics option
*International Relations and Comparative Politics option
*Public Administration and Public Policy option
*Public Law option
Psychology
Resource Conservation
Russian
Social Work
Sociology
*Criminology option
*Inequality and Social Justice option
Spanish
Theatre
Musical Theatre Performance
Wildlife Biology
*Aquatic option
*Terrestrial option
Womens, Gender and Sexuality Studies

My sincerest apologies, definitely did not mean to offend anyone. Some people read waayy too deep into this. I was just commenting on the cancellation of a few degrees offered and a few professors being released. No offense intended! I've heard athletes, ie.football, basketball, and track, girls and boys, make a few comments over the years. Nothing intended about "real degree". My bad

There’s no denying that the 8-year enrollment decline and loss of degrees is extremely, extremely worrying. That has to be fixed as fast as humanly possible, because it feeds off itself: fewer students, less tuition revenues to support faculty and student services, fewer applicants, less tuition...

What happened to the original plan of replacing the Adams center with a new facility (including a parking garage) and converting the Adams Center. As I recall hiring a High-end BB coach was part of the plan. Granted that hire (Kennedy ) was a bust but DeCuire was supposed to be a reboot.......

Grand Valley State University a Div II school in Michigan has this indoor facility.

https://gvsulakers.com/sports/2014/6/25/fac_0625145508.aspx

It's a beautiful facility the entire University utilizes.

BTW Northwestern has an athletic budget of $60 million. They averaged 25k at football games until recently I think they avg over 30k now. An indoor facility in a state like Montana is a must regardless of whether the FB team plays in Jan or not.

This is what NDSU is building for $37.2M. Should break ground late this summer or early next spring. Word is half or more of the money is in hand. (ND requires 100% of the money to be raised before construction starts.) It doesn't have a track because NDSU already has a separate indoor track facility. NDSU has been making do with an inflatable bubble on the soccer pitch for the last several years because renovating the basketball arena and athletics building was far higher on the priority list.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/lssl2Kbdld4hA/?red=a

Mich Griz said:
Grand Valley State University a Div II school in Michigan has this indoor facility.

BTW Northwestern has an athletic budget of $60 million. They averaged 25k at football games until recently I think they avg over 30k now. An indoor facility in a state like Montana is a must regardless of whether the FB team plays in Jan or not.

The difference being that Grand Valley State had a coach who left, succeeded greatly, and generously gave back to the university. Whereas, we had a coach who left, failed miserably, and spent the next 3 years begging for his old job back. In the end, they got a beautiful facility, while we got a mediocre football coach.

Hammersmith said:
This is what NDSU is building for $37.2M. Should break ground late this summer or early next spring. Word is half or more of the money is in hand. (ND requires 100% of the money to be raised before construction starts.) It doesn't have a track because NDSU already has a separate indoor track facility. NDSU has been making do with an inflatable bubble on the soccer pitch for the last several years because renovating the basketball arena and athletics building was far higher on the priority list.

Why do they need an indoor facility?

dayday said:
Hammersmith said:

Why do they need an indoor facility?

NDSU? Because the Fargodome is owned and operated by the city. It's on NDSU property, but it was built using sales tax dollars. As part of the agreement, NDSU gets a fixed number of days rent-free and pays a reduced rate for additional days. But the facility is in high demand, being in use 300+ days per year. Plus, this IPF will include S&C facilities and an adjacent outdoor field.

gotgum said:
Mich Griz said:

The difference being that Grand Valley State had a coach who left, succeeded greatly, and generously gave back to the university. Whereas, we had a coach who left, failed miserably, and spent the next 3 years begging for his old job back. In the end, they got a beautiful facility, while we got a mediocre football coach.

Is anything in this post accurate, except maybe the nice facility? How much did the coach donate? anything? I see that the complex was re-named after the Kelly family in 2011, after being build in 2008.

Badjuju said:
My sincerest apologies, definitely did not mean to offend anyone. Some people read waayy too deep into this. I was just commenting on the cancellation of a few degrees offered and a few professors being released. No offense intended! I've heard athletes, ie.football, basketball, and track, girls and boys, make a few comments over the years. Nothing intended about "real degree". My bad

No offense taken, just trying to correct some oft-repeated misinformation that's out there. Kind of like "playing up causes more injuries" or "there's no crisis at the border"... :lol: :lol: :lol: These things get repeated enough they start taking on a life of their own.

UM offers plenty of "in-demand" degrees. Unless there's a specific specialty engineering curriculum an athlete is looking for, or unless they want to live in the land of the Californians (Bozo), there's no real reason to go to MSU over UM from a degree standpoint.

Sell beer in the stadium with $1 of every glass going to the Indoor facility. Add $5 to every home game ticket. It is the little things like this that people don't mind paying for. 3/4 million on just tickets for home games in One year. Beer sales would probably best that by a long ways. These are just 2 small ways to earn money. I know there are lot more.

AZGrizFan said:
Badjuju said:

No offense taken, just trying to correct some oft-repeated misinformation that's out there. Kind of like "playing up causes more injuries" or "there's no crisis at the border"... :lol: :lol: :lol: These things get repeated enough they start taking on a life of their own.

UM offers plenty of "in-demand" degrees. Unless there's a specific specialty engineering curriculum an athlete is looking for, or unless they want to live in the land of the Californians (Bozo), there's no real reason to go to MSU over UM from a degree standpoint.

Playing up, especially against Big 5 teams, does result in more injuries. Not on every play. Not in every game. But over the long run. Just correcting the misinformation that comes from fans too removed from the program to know.

reinell30 said:
Sell beer in the stadium with $1 of every glass going to the Indoor facility. Add $5 to every home game ticket. It is the little things like this that people don't mind paying for. 3/4 million on just tickets for home games in One year. Beer sales would probably best that by a long ways. These are just 2 small ways to earn money. I know there are lot more.

:thumb:

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Badjuju said:

Playing up, especially against Big 5 teams, does result in more injuries. Not on every play. Not in every game. But over the long run. Just correcting the misinformation that comes from fans too removed from the program to know.

I don't think the stats and data back this up? What is the reasoning? I remember Rob Ash definitely did not hold this opinion. He said injuries are pretty much random, and in fact a team was more likely to see more injuries when playing DOWN rather than UP, due to the fact that players in lower divisions were likely not quite as well coached on fundamentals, proper blocking and tackling techniques, etc. I have no idea if the stats back that up or not. I'd be curious to see what Hauck thinks. You should ask him. I don't buy that you're more likely to get injured because of the fact that the players are bigger and stronger, however there may be something to the fact that upper division teams have more depth, so can rotate fresh players more often while the lower division players are getting gassed, and potentially more likely to get injured?

reinell30 said:

If you enjoy watching the figurative shifting of goalposts, you should pursue the beer in the stadium idea. You'll be taken on a journey of changing primary reasons why it simply cannot be done.

CDAGRIZ said:
reinell30 said:

If you enjoy watching the figurative shifting of goalposts, you should pursue the beer in the stadium idea. You'll be taken on a journey of changing primary reasons why it simply cannot be done.

That is pretty much what I have become accustomed too, is hearing why everything can't be done instead of how it can be done. I could begin the battle from afar, but it would be a lot better if someone in the local area would take on this fight. I am sure the person (s) would have plenty of support.

reinell30 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
reinell30 said:

That is pretty much what I have become accustomed too, is hearing why everything can't be done instead of how it can be done. I could begin the battle from afar, but it would be a lot better if someone in the local area would take on this fight. I am sure the person (s) would have plenty of support.

I agree about the support, but when those brave souls took it up the last time, I think it went something like this:

-Sell beer in the stadium?
---Can't. Not enough bathrooms.
-Get porta-potties?
---Can't. Nowhere to put them.
-Literally move some chain-link fencing to make room?
---Can't. (???).
-OK, make part of that South parking lot a beer garden open during games?
---Can't. Would take up too much parking.
-OK, there's honestly no more space for parking that could relocate the 100 cars we need to displace to make room for a beer garden in the South parking lot?
---Nope. Can't be done. Martha bought that spot, and she will be mad if we move her.
-OK, maybe just put a bigger line of porta-potties outside the stadium and allow in/out for bathroom use?
---Can't. The ticket takers at the gates would be overwhelmed.
-OK, just keep it as is, sell beer, and tell everyone to hold it until they can use the existing bathrooms?
---It can't be done.

I know there has to be a LOT more to the story, because it honestly feels like someone saying he wants to change the channel, but he can't, because the remote is "all the way over there".

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Badjuju said:

Your opinion is respected, but you'd be hard pressed to back this up with real data.

Back