• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Shocker

horribilisfan8184

Bobcats Notebook: QB Chris Murray won't return to Montana State football program

https://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/bobcats-notebook-qb-chris-murray-won-t-return-to-montana/article_128b5dc7-fd97-5a65-b651-8906b9194df6.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

He flew out of Bozeman on May 21, and said he was done, according to what a good Cat poster/friend told me a few weeks ago. I just looked back at the date of the PM.

As the article said, didn't get academically eligible. Too bad for him, but it was in his hands.

Bummer. Tremendous athlete and I really wanted the Griz to send him out with a loss. Hope he lands on his feet somewhere.

Yeah, yeah, Murray can't pass, blah, blah, and blah. The REAL story here is Choach doing a masterful job delivering quotes regarding expectations.

“I don’t anticipate us taking a step back.” BUT, "The one concern Choate has revolves around MSU’s growth at the skill positions after a spring practice session that was stunted due to poor outdoor field conditions." and "For a team that figures to use its fourth Week 1 starting quarterback in as many seasons, that aspect can’t be overstated."

It's simply a masterful display of managing expectations and informing the base of yet another factor beyond his control that could impact year 4 results. Absolutely textbook. And for good measure, he throws some stuff in about getting no respect and UM getting all the respect "over the hill." That riles the base that hates UM more than it likes the Bobs, and gets them in his corner no matter what.

Finally, Choach being Choach: "We’re just down here in Bozeman keeping our head to the grindstone, so we’ll see." (emphasis added)(citation in OP). He's straddling a double-edged sword perfectly with the mixed metaphors.

retiredpopo said:
Really is too bad. Some kids no matter how hard they study just have trouble academically.

This is true, but this really wasn't the issue with CM though.

CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:
retiredpopo said:
Really is too bad. Some kids no matter how hard they study just have trouble academically.

What was the issue?

He didn’t value himself and his worth. He had no desire to push himself. Didn’t want to get a leg up on society with his education. Now not only did he take a step back but the also now is a quitter on himself. Doesn’t look very good to perspective employers

mtgrizfankb said:
CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:
retiredpopo said:

What was the issue?

He didn’t value himself and his worth. He had no desire to push himself. Didn’t want to get a leg up on society with his education. Now not only did he take a step back but the also now is a quitter on himself. Doesn’t look very good to perspective employers

How does it go "you can lead a horse to water but........"

fanofzoo said:
mtgrizfankb said:
CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:

What was the issue?

How does it go "you can lead a horse to water but........"

....you can’t look him in the mouth.”

-Choach

mtgrizfankb said:
CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:
retiredpopo said:

What was the issue?

To be fair to the young man, school isn't for everybody. Just because a classroom isn't a good match for them doesn't mean that they aren't hard workers or won't be successful in life. Granted, now-a-days that is more outside the norm. I grew up working my way all through high school and had a part time job in college (in addition to work study) to help my family make ends meet. School wasn't for me right out of high school, so I just worked. I tried again 5/6 years later and it still wasn't for me.

Not saying that is the optimal path for everyone, but not having a college degree doesn't necessarily mean you aren't a hard worker. I've found showing employers you can work your tail off is often more important than a piece of paper. Though often it is helpful to have that piece of paper to get your foot in the door, it isn't the be all, end all.

Off my soapbox now. Carry on.

I like good news like this. Made my day. :thumb:
Kinesiology Major, $10 word for P.E. Major. Any of us who went to college know the first two years classes aren't terribly tough, yet he dug himself a hole so deep that he couldn't get out. Drops out a year ago to concentrate on grades, yet...
As I recall last years posts on Murray, there weren't too many posters who thought he would ever wear a Bobscat uniform again. I was surprised to see him on the field this spring. Close, but no cigar.

fourth Week 1 starting quarterback in as many seasons
This is the real shocker. We always hear how awesome of a recruiter Choach is.
Really? Why can’t he recruit the most important position? After 4yrs! Could it be that janky offense in sloppy Blowsmen? Or does he just suck?

It’s also weird how Oceans8 was able to stay on the roster and participate with the team even though he has not been eligible for over a year. I get that he did not have a scholly but he got other perks roster people get, like access to the team and facilities. How does that work? Sounds like special treatment to me, and way worse than hotdogs.

Another head scratcher, didn’t O’s8 graduate HS early? Did choach just assume that meant he was smart?

CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:
retiredpopo said:

What was the issue?

He shouldn't have been in and stayed with engineering. You realize that's what attracts football players to MSU?

“What we’ve really got to do is make up for lost time,” Choate said. “We only got about eight real practices in during spring ball and it was really difficult for receivers and quarterbacks to develop timing and consistency.

“I think that’s got to be a huge emphasis — that skill development and that timing between our skill players. And the camaraderie, the chemistry, is a huge piece

Who was the jackass C.A.T.roll who kept assuring us that Choach could give a shit about spring ball?

….maybe it was more than academics for Murray...maybe a entitlement mentality that had him working
hard to get himself back into the line up...who knows but maybe he just lost the will to fight for the QB
position and called it "quits"! ..too bad because this could comeback on him later in life!

Back