• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2020 Football Recruiting: 15 Verbals & 20 Offers

dayday said:
They offered some like Rostad and built those relationships with others. But they wait until summer camp and August before sending out those official offers. I don’t like the strategy and think it’s not modern. Their thought is that they want to do their homework and only offer the right fits. I think the bad part is that early offers matter to these kids in this social media age. I know for a fact they really liked Larison and there was mutual interest. They were going to offer but waited and he commits to UC Davis.

From the vids, kid would be better suited @ running back. This is a HS version of Sneed. Maybe Hawkins can coax a QB out of him, though it’s an odd fit given the offense they run. And no, it didn’t feature a running QB.

Rostad’s the better overall QB.

bgbigdog said:
dayday said:
They offered some like Rostad and built those relationships with others. But they wait until summer camp and August before sending out those official offers. I don’t like the strategy and think it’s not modern. Their thought is that they want to do their homework and only offer the right fits. I think the bad part is that early offers matter to these kids in this social media age. I know for a fact they really liked Larison and there was mutual interest. They were going to offer but waited and he commits to UC Davis.

From the vids, kid would be better suited @ running back. This is a HS version of Sneed. Maybe Hawkins can coax a QB out of him, though it’s an odd fit given the offense they run. And no, it didn’t feature a running QB.

Rostad’s the better overall QB.

Yeah I agree on Rostad. I like him a lot but I have no idea what fbs interest he’ll get. So good to have back up options. I think they should think about adding two QBs to the next class given the depth currently.

dayday said:

There is nothing stopping UM coaches from continuing the conversation with this kid while explaining their process to him. They can complete their homework and still offer down the road. Granted, it's a bit harder to flip somebody after their non-binding verbal, but they can work hard on him if they feel he is the right one. I also wish they would speed up the offers, but as we have seen at MSU, it doesn't necessarily lead to great results with the early shotgun approach.

go96griz said:
dayday said:

There is nothing stopping UM coaches from continuing the conversation with this kid while explaining their process to him. They can complete their homework and still offer down the road. Granted, it's a bit harder to flip somebody after their non-binding verbal, but they can work hard on him if they feel he is the right one. I also wish they would speed up the offers, but as we have seen at MSU, it doesn't necessarily lead to great results with the early shotgun approach.

Seems like there should be a happy medium....IOW, a medium that makes all us fans happy. :lol: :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
Two days from a 60 day quiet period and we know virtually nothing.

That's not bad...many people on here are about 60 years from the day they were born and still obviously know nothing!! :lol:

AZGrizFan said:

I agree we knew of several offers this time last year, and even had a commit or 2. I’m not sure how accurate scout is but it says we have 0 offers out I can bet we are the only team in the BSC that their scout page says that, might even be the whole fcs. Rostad is the only offer I’ve seen and I’m not even sure that is accurate, he tweeted an offer from msu but nothing from us.

grizfan1984 said:
AZGrizFan said:

I agree we knew of several offers this time last year, and even had a commit or 2. I’m not sure how accurate scout is but it says we have 0 offers out I can bet we are the only team in the BSC that their scout page says that, might even be the whole fcs. Rostad is the only offer I’ve seen and I’m not even sure that is accurate, he tweeted an offer from msu but nothing from us.

It’s all a big secret it seems which makes this board really lame. Quite honestly my perception is that that the first wave of official offers goes out in August. The line I’ve heard is that they will just say very interested or you will be offered by then. The big push is to get kids in camp to be further evaluated. I suppose the only good thing is they are patient about getting kids that are the right fit before just offering. The scholarship offer actually means it’s a true offer.

However, as discussed multiple times on here, I think in this day in age that is the wrong strategy. I think you miss out on some great players that want the early recruiting attention and offer. Also you just are not realistically going to get every kid that may be interested to your camp. I also believe that the recruiting social media attention and announcing transfers is good publicity for the program. Just one person’s opinion. I am hope it all works out. This place sells itself for our level of football.

Griz coaches will be at this event this weekend

https://twitter.com/CarterCarlson_/status/1133920046798069761

Talking to some coaches, there is a movement to ask kids not to report offers. I know it seems silly in this day and age, but there is some sound strategy in having players keep off of social media. First it is a recruiting violation nightmare for schools and coaches. Second, it leads players to use social media as a leverage and makes recruiting harder. Third, it allows other college coaches to know your business. This is just stuff I have heard from coaches.

Is that the correct mindset? I don't know, but there are more and more college coaches who aren't enamored with players posting this stuff all over social media. I know in a couple cases over the past few years it has led to problems with recruits knowing what other recruits were offered.

As for the UM currently, I think there are offers out there but knowing the scholly situation a bit I think this year is going to have a bit more of a tactical feel to offers. Less carpet bombing and more surgical.

Grizfan-24 said:
Talking to some coaches, there is a movement to ask kids not to report offers. I know it seems silly in this day and age, but there is some sound strategy in having players keep off of social media. First it is a recruiting violation nightmare for schools and coaches. Second, it leads players to use social media as a leverage and makes recruiting harder. Third, it allows other college coaches to know your business. This is just stuff I have heard from coaches.

Is that the correct mindset? I don't know, but there are more and more college coaches who aren't enamored with players posting this stuff all over social media. I know in a couple cases over the past few years it has led to problems with recruits knowing what other recruits were offered.

As for the UM currently, I think there are offers out there but knowing the scholly situation a bit I think this year is going to have a bit more of a tactical feel to offers. Less carpet bombing and more surgical.

Makes all kind of sense. I understand the excitement, but they should save the verbiage for their official commitment.

Paytonlives said:
Griz coaches will be at this event this weekend

https://twitter.com/CarterCarlson_/status/1133920046798069761

https://twitter.com/NW_Spotlight/status/1134858977936674818

bgbigdog said:
Grizfan-24 said:

Makes all kind of sense. I understand the excitement, but they should save the verbiage for their official commitment.

When Hauck was here the first time, it was just as it is now. REALLY quiet compared to other Griz coaches. And yes, my guess is there are probably a dozen or so offers already on the board.

Grizfan-24 said:

That makes a ton sense for the coaches but for the kids it makes zero sense. You need the recruiting buzz because it forces more and bigger schools to the offer table sooner. For example, if Idaho offers a kid that MSU is interested in then they are likely going to follow suit with an offer soon after then if you have enough of those it catches MW or PAC-12 coaches’ eye to think about watching the film and offering.

So point being if the coaches are saying here is a scholarship offer but don’t tell anyone; I would question the motives of that school looking out for what is best for the kid. I think the school that fully embraces social media with recruiting and that competition are typically the successful programs in the FBS and even FCS (see James Madison or NDSU). Just my two cents from the peanut gallery, lol.

Back