• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Shannon???

Proud Griz Man said:
Good GJ - thanks for posting and highlighting that interview. :clap:

Maybe more importantly - were the interview's points made about Haslam being decisive and recognizing "not a fit" and punctually not renewing Stitt's contract, becoming a better listener and reading his own eMails, and working with the University President are key topics.

Also the heavy involvement of parents. :shock: :shock: :shock:

grizzlyjournal said:
HookedonGriz said:
Recent Haslam interview said Shannon is staying put

The interview from May 5 with MontanaSports.com (print and full-content broadcast) is excellent. Good range of questions from Slim Kimmel. Mr. Haslam is open and transparent regarding all aspects of the Montana program. I particularly respect how he clarified his own personal positions on certain areas, re: Haslam strongly believes that the strongest/hottest team should host post-season tourneys.

https://montanasports.com/sunday-conversation/2019/05/05/sunday-conversation-kent-haslam-talks-contract-negotiations-big-sky-conference-health/

PGM, I didn't listen to the interview. But, given that people/posters were saying the week before the Cat game that Haslam was planing to renew Stitt's contract, I'm not so sure that he was decisive and punctual in recognizing it wasn't a fit and not renewing the contract. And, then there were the rumors, which I know at least some are true, of big boosters calling Haslam (and Bodnar) and insisting that Stitt not be retained. And, is renewing a coach for only one year being decisive?

moneyball said:
Spanky2 said:
Money, those are extreme comments. Do you have information to support the comments or are you just ranting?

Everything that i say on this forum is fact. You can verify it if you want. Through the freedom of information act you can request all the emails to Haslam and the University from many people from March through about May of last year. You will find that there was enough cause to have a Climate Survey from the entire team. In the end some decided not to pursue the issues because they feared retribution from Shannon. Instead they just quit the team. The story that was spun in the Media was absolutely false and orchestrated by Shannon and Kent as to why the girls left the team. When the day comes that Shannon is fired I think then the story will be told. Until then no one is willing to bite the hand that feeds them.

This is consistent with what I have heard too. In fact, multiple people, including some long time posters, have essentially confirmed this, along with various other issues that have been raised. If some player and parents don't like or respect the coach, that's a problem, and it would seem that it would also start to impact recruiting. While the injuries were big again this year, one would think that not running off Sierra Anderson, who was a starter at times, would have helped with the depth this past season. I think almost any coach other than her, due to who she is, would not have been renewed. Let's hope the LG have a good season next year. I have no dog in the fight; I want what's best for the LG.

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:
Paytonlives said:
HookedonGriz said:
Recent Haslam interview said Shannon is staying put

So did she actually sign a contract/ extension???

I believe they are getting that done any time now. Hope it works out. I’m not that convinced.

One year renewal.

Thx for the info. I don’t think she’ll turn it around. But I will root for the lady Griz to win. I’m good with another year to see.

maroonandsilver said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:
Paytonlives said:
So did she actually sign a contract/ extension???

I believe they are getting that done any time now. Hope it works out. I’m not that convinced.

One year renewal.

A 1-year renewal will certainly impress potential recruits. :roll:

True, but not really any different than how the university used to renew contracts. I'm not really that optimistic, but I'm still cheering for the ladies.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
maroonandsilver said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

One year renewal.

A 1-year renewal will certainly impress potential recruits. :roll:

True, but not really any different than how the university used to renew contracts. I'm not really that optimistic, but I'm still cheering for the ladies.

Except that ALL the programs Shannon will be recruiting against have coaches with multiple-year contracts (including, of course, MSU). The AD is notifying all potential recruits that he has little or no confidence in Shannon, and potential recruits will have little confidence that Shannon will be their coach when they arrive on campus. This day and age, a 1-year contract is a Kiss Of Death.

If the negatives things some say about the coach are correct, maybe a one year contract will be a positive in recruiting.

A one year contract is the end of Shannon for several reasons. Let's forget for a moment that she is not a Division 1 level coach. She does not have the ability to develop players. Let's forget for a moment that many girls have quit the team during her reign. Let's forget for a moment that she has had many complaints from her players and the parents. Let's forget for a moment that the University felt there was enough evidence to justify a climate survey regarding the conduct and treatment of her players. Let's forget for a moment that she has a terrible win / loss record. I could go on and on and on. What does all this mean? She does not deserve the title of coach. She is an abusive narcissist who has no right to be mentoring young woman for any reason. The fact that Haslam is keeping her is simply because his own butt is on the line. If he admits that he made a mistake he would be in jeopardy of losing his own job. Let's face it, Haslam has made some stupid decisions with coaching in the last few years. Every coach in the league knows what is going on with the Lady Griz and you can be sure that they as well as AAU coaches are talking to recruits and making them aware of the problems. Shannon's reputation is way down. The girls currently on the team do not respect Shannon. There is almost no way that she will be able to foster a positive environment and pull the team together in a way that they can win a championship. A zebra can't change its stripes. But all of this isn't really about Shannon. It's about the girls. They will have to endure one more year of a hostile environment. They will have to endure a coach who knows her head is on the chopping block. If they think Shannon was bad before...just wait to see how the pressure gets to her and how she will take it out on the players. Shannon is notorious for making bad decisions during the game when she is loosing. The Lady Griz have the talent to compete and win but their job is much harder because of their coach. The only saving grace for Shannon will be if everyone comes back Healthy for the whole year and by some miracle have a wining season. Not going to happen, but If they do... it will not be because of Shannon. It will be in spite of her. I feel bad for the girls and wish them well, but can't wait for a new coach for the Lady Griz. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing but expecting different results. One more year isn't going to change the last 3 years and will not make any constructive positive difference.

moneyball said:
A one year contract is the end of Shannon for several reasons. Let's forget for a moment that she is not a Division 1 level coach. She does not have the ability to develop players. Let's forget for a moment that many girls have quit the team during her reign. Let's forget for a moment that she has had many complaints from her players and the parents. Let's forget for a moment that the University felt there was enough evidence to justify a climate survey regarding the conduct and treatment of her players. Let's forget for a moment that she has a terrible win / loss record. I could go on and on and on. What does all this mean? She does not deserve the title of coach. She is an abusive narcissist who has no right to be mentoring young woman for any reason. The fact that Haslam is keeping her is simply because his own butt is on the line. If he admits that he made a mistake he would be in jeopardy of losing his own job. Let's face it, Haslam has made some stupid decisions with coaching in the last few years. Every coach in the league knows what is going on with the Lady Griz and you can be sure that they as well as AAU coaches are talking to recruits and making them aware of the problems. Shannon's reputation is way down. The girls currently on the team do not respect Shannon. There is almost no way that she will be able to foster a positive environment and pull the team together in a way that they can win a championship. A zebra can't change its stripes. But all of this isn't really about Shannon. It's about the girls. They will have to endure one more year of a hostile environment. They will have to endure a coach who knows her head is on the chopping block. If they think Shannon was bad before...just wait to see how the pressure gets to her and how she will take it out on the players. Shannon is notorious for making bad decisions during the game when she is loosing. The Lady Griz have the talent to compete and win but their job is much harder because of their coach. The only saving grace for Shannon will be if everyone comes back Healthy for the whole year and by some miracle have a wining season. Not going to happen, but If they do... it will not be because of Shannon. It will be in spite of her. I feel bad for the girls and wish them well, but can't wait for a new coach for the Lady Griz. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing but expecting different results. One more year isn't going to change the last 3 years and will not make any constructive positive difference.

Ouch!

That's a pretty harsh assessment there, Moneyball.

I've been a season-ticket holder for the Lady Griz since the 2011-12 season, and it's a given that Shannon is no Robin Selvig. I've always held a pretty neutral viewpoint on her since she was promoted to head coach, and given the timing of Rob's retirement it made sense at the time to appoint her as HC. I wanted Shannon to do well from day one and it's clearly been a struggle for her, and injuries hitting many of her best players not named Jace Henderson or McKenzie Johnston have taken their toll. Giving her a one-year extension is IMO, really the best thing that UM can do at this point because if she can't get it right during the 2019-20 season, then it's time to bring in a new coach.

moneyball said:

For a minute there I wasn't sure whether you were discussing Shannon or Donald Trump?! While a zebra may not be able to change their stripes, a basketball coach is certainly able to alter the way they coach. I am not defending Shannon here, but I do have to wonder if you have any concrete proof about some of the more spurious allegations you make? We all know about the kids leaving, the injuries and the record, but the inability to foster a positive environment, the lack of respect, the indication that other coaches are all talking about her with potential recruits ...! Are these allegations based on fact or are they simple assumptions on what you think is going on? It sounds like she has already been tried, convicted and is awaiting execution!

Shannon was after a big recruit who just committed to Long Beach State. Was pretty bummed out to miss out on her.

Gaeilge1 said:
moneyball said:

For a minute there I wasn't sure whether you were discussing Shannon or Donald Trump?! While a zebra may not be able to change their stripes, a basketball coach is certainly able to alter the way they coach. I am not defending Shannon here, but I do have to wonder if you have any concrete proof about some of the more spurious allegations you make? We all know about the kids leaving, the injuries and the record, but the inability to foster a positive environment, the lack of respect, the indication that other coaches are all talking about her with potential recruits ...! Are these allegations based on fact or are they simple assumptions on what you think is going on? It sounds like she has already been tried, convicted and is awaiting execution!

I have no first hand info, but my impression, from talking to some former LG and people close to the program, is that, unfortunately, much or most of what moneyball is saying is correct or largely correct, especially what you summarized above: "the inability to foster a positive environment, the lack of respect, the indication that other coaches are all talking about her with potential recruits".

PlayerRep said:
Gaeilge1 said:
moneyball said:

I have no first hand info, but my impression, from talking to some former LG and people close to the program, is that, unfortunately, much or most of what moneyball is saying is correct or largely correct, especially what you summarized above: "the inability to foster a positive environment, the lack of respect, the indication that other coaches are all talking about her with potential recruits".

Ow! That coming from PR. That actually merits much of the negativity on LG basketball.

If you remove Shannon and her legacy connection to the program, and then evaluate the program and the progress over the past three years, what is the conclusion?

I am completely okay with Shannon getting another year. Maybe its taste, philosophy or a piece of resentment or past grievance held within myself for twenty years, but there are a number of off putting things about the program that give me a bit of pause when considering the future of the program. I don't feel like repeating myself at this point.

If the admin is happy where the program is at, then so be it. Good enough for me.

I find it most disturbing that AAU coaches are steering their girls away from the Lady Griz.

One of the former Lady Griz, who chose to leave with eligibility remaining, recently told me that playing for Shannon was "the worst experience of my life!).

maroonandsilver said:
I find it most disturbing that AAU coaches are steering their girls away from the Lady Griz.

One of the former Lady Griz, who chose to leave with eligibility remaining, recently told me that playing for Shannon was "the worst experience of my life!).

I would guess that when you are as good a player as Shannon was (and she was VERY good, a Kodak All-American, remember) you lose patience fast with players less skilled, players who are not at your level and never will be. There is a notable arrogance that develops when you are as good as Shannon was, and that arrogance probably carries over as a coach. So there's probably a great deal of frustration on both sides of the equation, players and coach.

But if her attitude is such that it's driving away players, and creating animosity among AAU coaches, then this can't last. It's very much my opinion that within any subset of American culture, be it sports, business, academia, entertainment or whatever, reputation counts, and bad news spreads fast. As a friend of mine once said, "Ya gotta draw the line somewhere."

citay said:
maroonandsilver said:

I would guess that when you are as good a player as Shannon was (and she was VERY good, a Kodak All-American, remember) you lose patience fast with players less skilled, players who are not at your level and never will be. There is a notable arrogance that develops when you are as good as Shannon was, and that arrogance probably carries over as a coach. So there's probably a great deal of frustration on both sides of the equation, players and coach.

But if her attitude is such that it's driving away players, and creating animosity among AAU coaches, then this can't last. It's very much my opinion that within any subset of American culture, be it sports, business, academia, entertainment or whatever, reputation counts, and bad news spreads fast. As a friend of mine once said, "Ya gotta draw the line somewhere."
I may be way off base here but my take on the whole thing is Shannon is trying to coach like Selvig coached & Selvig coached like Heathcoat coached. In your face, high pressure all the time, my way or the highway kind of thing. Shannon needs to do her own thing. Time to try a different approach Coach! Players will play their hearts out if they respect & admire her. Just one mans opinion.

Dillon said:
citay said:
maroonandsilver said:

I may be way off base here but my take on the whole thing is Shannon is trying to coach like Selvig coached & Selvig coached like Heathcoat coached. In your face, high pressure all the time, my way or the highway kind of thing. Shannon needs to do her own thing. Time to try a different approach Coach! Players will play their hearts out if they respect & admire her. Just one mans opinion.

That's a good opinion, in my view. You've drawn a direct link to a coach who was not only the trunk of the Montana coaching tree, but "old school" as well. But the Bobby Knight school of coaching--yelling, humiliating players in public--is long gone. Let a Tom Izzo humiliate a player in public, as he did this past year, and there are recriminations, explanations and apologies all around. Steve Kerr is today's model coach.

Back