• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Wazzu Transfer Mason Vinyard 6'5" 230lb Rush Linebacker

StumptownGriz

grizfan1984 posted this in recruiting and I am just bringing it over to the main board.

VERY exciting pickup by Bobby in bringing the long and athletic DE/Rush LB - Mason Vinyard to Griz Nation. 6'5" 230lbs and ranked the 25th rated TE in the country out of High School. Vinyard is an athlete as talented or more so than anyone we currently have on the DLIne. This is a huge pickup. :thumb:

https://wsucougars.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5433

[media]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://t.co/H5xz577IVV">pic.twitter.com/H5xz577IVV</a></p>— Mason Vinyard (@Masonvinyard4) <a href="https://twitter.com/Masonvinyard4/status/1105668659777658880?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 13, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
[/media]

I see he posted on Twitter bio he is a commit but I haven’t seen anything else besides that. Nothing is official quite yet.

He was recruited to SDSU most likely that helped us with this pick up. Bobby probably has a pretty good read on this guy from his friends back in San Diego.

Let's not just make him a all-american yet. Hopefully the coaching staff has seen more than the one video of one play which some of you want to turn into the return of Lawrence Taylor. Drop-downs can be good and perhaps Mr. Vinyard can contribute at a high level but, from my personal perspective, I need more to be convinced than he is just another player who can't cut it at FBS level.

Dutch Lane said:
tourist said:
Maybe Hauck could play a little Choate and make him a QB, ala Anderson. :lol:

You think maybe he can run pass option :thumb:

As a former TE,maybe we can come up with a play where he heaves it in the air and runs up and grabs it and goes all the way :!: :!: :!:

sdk.catfish said:
Let's not just make him a all-american yet. Hopefully the coaching staff has seen more than the one video of one play which some of you want to turn into the return of Lawrence Taylor. Drop-downs can be good and perhaps Mr. Vinyard can contribute at a high level but, from my personal perspective, I need more to be convinced than he is just another player who can't cut it at FBS level.

Seems that you are the only one that mentioned the words "All American"

behappp said:
Dutch Lane said:
tourist said:
Maybe Hauck could play a little Choate and make him a QB, ala Anderson. :lol:

You think maybe he can run pass option :thumb:

As a former TE,maybe we can come up with a play where he heaves it in the air and runs up and grabs it and goes all the way :!: :!: :!:

Now, THAT would be a trick. Reminds me of one of Dice Clay's lines: Eat a bushel of apples and sh*t a fruit salad. Now, THAT's a trick! :lol:

grizindabox said:
sdk.catfish said:

Seems that you are the only one that mentioned the words "All American"

One poster says: "VERY exciting pickup"u and t"his is a huge pickup", and that translate into egriz making him into an all-American and Lawrence Taylor.

"At 6-foot-5 and 200 pounds, ESPN reports that Vinyard ran a 4.62 40-yard dash and a 4.10 20-yard shuttle, both of which are listed as the top for TE-H, which is more of a blocking TE than a route-running TE." He's already put on nice weight.

My thought is that his one play looked all-American quality. Ha.

Speed on the edge will be very nice to have again. 10.9 100 in high school. 51 sec 400.

1972 said:
Speed on the edge will be very nice to have again. 10.9 100 in high school. 51 sec 400.

If you look @ the sack highlight posted it came from the inside. He’s not heavily muscled, but he’s got some power- though this was a speed move. Like the well known foot-speed aficionado & part-time resident @ Sch/Sha EVG recently noted, and I’m paraphrasing here, “ can’t coach it.

agree he certainly looks the part.....the question is "why"....why does he feel the need to leave....is wsu loaded at d/e ?? welcome to the griz family Mason.

krammer said:
agree he certainly looks the part.....the question is "why"....why does he feel the need to leave....is wsu loaded at d/e ?? welcome to the griz family Mason.

Listen to the commentators in Stumpy’s post - he hadn’t seen the field in a while (sparingly) & there were a lot of bodies in front of him.

bgbigdog said:
krammer said:

Listen to the commentators in Stumpy’s post - he hadn’t seen the field in a while (sparingly) & there were a lot of bodies in front of him. Way if the world, kids move on when it looks like things aren’t going their way.

I would'nt mind seeing him get "sneaked" in at TE and running a seam down the center of the field as a potential vertical option?

Unread post by bgbigdog » Sat May 18, 2019 12:22 pm
If you look @ the sack highlight posted it came from the inside. He’s not heavily muscled, but he’s got some power- though this was a speed move. Like the well known foot-speed aficionado & part-time resident @ Sch/Sha EVG recently noted, and I’m paraphrasing here, “ can’t coach it.

Really I have no problem with this guy and if he contributes that will be great. I guess my issues lie within the present recruitment's class is size. I don't believe you can coach size anymore than you can coach speed. Trying to bring in undersized lineman and bring them up to DL weight isn't just about lifting weights and nutrition. NDSU brings them in bigger and they get even bigger after that. Hauck's philosophy,
if that is what it is, seems to be that that the players can put on the weight to be FCS competitive. Not sure that I agree with that philosophy. Maybe the West Coast recruiting trend needs to be examined on the O and D lines and recruiting OL and DL lineman that exhibit a healthy "biscuits and gravy with fruit sides" lineman would be beneficial. Start looking at the heartland would be my advice. Can Fargo really be more attractive than Missoula????????

sdk.catfish said:
Unread post by bgbigdog » Sat May 18, 2019 12:22 pm

Really I have no problem with this guy and if he contributes that will be great. I guess my issues lie within the present recruitment's class is size. I don't believe you can coach size anymore than you can coach speed. Trying to bring in undersized lineman and bring them up to DL weight isn't just about lifting weights and nutrition. NDSU brings them in bigger and they get even bigger after that. Hauck's philosophy,
if that is what it is, seems to be that that the players can put on the weight to be FCS competitive. Not sure that I agree with that philosophy. Maybe the West Coast recruiting trend needs to be examined on the O and D lines and recruiting OL and DL lineman that exhibit a healthy "biscuits and gravy with fruit sides" lineman would be beneficial. Start looking at the heartland would be my advice. Can Fargo really be more attractive than Missoula????????

..Fargo is closer to Minnesota and Wisconsin especially if you want your family and friends to come
and watch you play..Missoula is out of the traveling hub...

Back