• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Future Schedule

Raider said:
MikeyGriz said:
ilovethecats said:
EverettGriz said:
Hmmm...if only there were a solution to this problem....

you think Wyoming should be FCS too....?

If the NCAA enforced their own rules, it would be. I don't think that Wyoming has met the minimum average attendance figures for many years. Isn't it 25,000 per game?

Are you serious? Do you know how many FBS schools average less than 25,000 in attendance?

The number is 15,000 BTW, and there are a number of FBS schools that flirt with that attendance requirement every year.

Why have a rule if you are not going to enforce it? Make it a 3 or 5 year average to even out fluctuations, I don't care. Eliminating non-complying teams would give us more teams for OOC games.

Here's a question to ponder: Would a non-compliant school be willing to take the "humiliation" of moving to FCS ... or would it just drop football and add some other (surely less expensive) sport to retain their D-I status?

The rule isn't meant to kick noncomplying teams OUT of the FBS. It was implemented and designed to keep teams from moving INTO it.

MikeyGriz said:
Raider said:
MikeyGriz said:
ilovethecats said:
you think Wyoming should be FCS too....?

If the NCAA enforced their own rules, it would be. I don't think that Wyoming has met the minimum average attendance figures for many years. Isn't it 25,000 per game?

Are you serious? Do you know how many FBS schools average less than 25,000 in attendance?

The number is 15,000 BTW, and there are a number of FBS schools that flirt with that attendance requirement every year.

Why have a rule if you are not going to enforce it? Make it a 3 or 5 year average to even out fluctuations, I don't care. Eliminating non-complying teams would give us more teams for OOC games.

It is a two year average -they've changed it a few times.

MAC attendance suffers because of the ESPN contract - they play many weeknight games in Oct and Nov - who wants to attend a Ball State at Miami O on a Tuesday night in November?

IdaGriz01 said:
Here's a question to ponder: Would a non-compliant school be willing to take the "humiliation" of moving to FCS ... or would it just drop football and add some other (surely less expensive) sport to retain their D-I status?

Ask Idaho.

tourist said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Ask Idaho.
Only a partial answer. The Vandals were one of the original 1-AA/FCS programs, when the subdivision started in 1978. They at least return to some “history.”

A look at the other bottom-ten attendance programs (like Idaho, under 15,000) is very interesting:
Ball State (with the worst 2017 attendance) does have some non-FBS history, with stints as a junior college, at D-II, and some 1-AA.
Akron (4th worst) had six years at D-II and eight years as a 1AA program.
Louisana-Monroe spent 11 years as part of the Southland Conference and even won a 1AA Nattie (1987) before moving up to FBS.
Massachusetts was another “founding” member of the 1AA subdivision and played in three championship games (winning once) before moving up in 2012.

Thus, all of these programs can at least look back to some significant time at the 1AA/FCS level. But fans of programs on the rest of the list would surely see a “retreat” to FCS as a major come-down:
Florida Atlantic started its football program in 2001. They only competed at the FCS level for three seasons, knowing it was just a necessary stepping stone to FBS.
Charlotte restarted its football program in 2013 and, like Fla. Atlantic, had a quick timetable to full FBS … in 2015.
The other three programs – Northern Illinois, New Mexico State and Kent State – have all been D-1 since 1966 or even before. So, they have zero history with 1AA/FCS.

tourist said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Ask Idaho.

Although most schools wouldn't have the double humiliation of taking the dropdown AND getting their ass kicked by the schools they dropped down to the level of.

Well done Spuds.

They really need to kick CWU off the list and replace them with Dixie State or another FCS program, playing a D2 does nothing for us in regards to schedule strength or even D1 wins

UTGrizFan said:
They really need to kick CWU off the list and replace them with Dixie State or another FCS program, playing a D2 does nothing for us in regards to schedule strength or even D1 wins

If you had read the thread you would find haslems response to this game.

“Central Washington and couldn’t find anyone else which occasionally will happen because of our need to always have six home games. Scheduling philosophy and priority remains the same in this order.

1 - Six home games
2- All Division 1 opponents
3- Home and home"

Back