• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Who Are The UM Peer Schools?

ABQCat said:
Good stuff from the usual suspects over here. CDA's inverse counter-trolling techniques are in play and doing a good job. PR hasn't completely gone off the rails in his patented 'scorched earth' mode yet, but there's still time. A few posters are dancing around the answer but nobody has actually nailed it yet, which I'll do now. You’re welcome.

The MSU 5-foot-nothing President is staggeringly good at her job, and that is the common link in all the different elements of the dUMb decline and MSU's growth. I recently received a nice summary book highlighting the "What it Takes" capital campaign, and even without blue and gold colored glasses, the overall effectiveness is mind boggling. The effort went public in 2015 with a goal of $300M, and at the time of the recent announcement, MSU had raised $413M (and growing). Every aspect of the University is benefiting from this campaign including students, faculty, research, infrastructure and athletics. Cruzado has set the foundation for MSU to compete on a national stage in every element of the institution for decades to come.

I personally don’t see dUMb coming out of the current mess anytime soon and it will never come out of the current mess without landing its version of Cruzado. Sorry to be the one to deliver this downer over here, but there you go. Enjoy.

Bodnar is already better than the MSU president. And people at UM like him, as opposed to the MSU president.

AllWeatherFan said:
Regardless of enrollments, endowments, capital campaigns, foundations, faculty achievements, research, infrastructure, presidents, local economies, growth trends, stock markets, national prestige, fundraising, technological advances, weather, climate, human evolution, etc., one thing will always be true: Bobcats suck.

+1 for eternity!

AllWeatherFan said:
Regardless of enrollments, endowments, capital campaigns, foundations, faculty achievements, research, infrastructure, presidents, local economies, growth trends, stock markets, national prestige, fundraising, technological advances, weather, climate, human evolution, etc., one thing will always be true: Bobcats suck.

POTY

uofmman1122 said:
ABQCat said:
Good stuff from the usual suspects over here. CDA's inverse counter-trolling techniques are in play and doing a good job. PR hasn't completely gone off the rails in his patented 'scorched earth' mode yet, but there's still time. A few posters are dancing around the answer but nobody has actually nailed it yet, which I'll do now. You’re welcome.

The MSU 5-foot-nothing President is staggeringly good at her job, and that is the common link in all the different elements of the dUMb decline and MSU's growth. I recently received a nice summary book highlighting the "What it Takes" capital campaign, and even without blue and gold colored glasses, the overall effectiveness is mind boggling. The effort went public in 2015 with a goal of $300M, and at the time of the recent announcement, MSU had raised $413M (and growing). Every aspect of the University is benefiting from this campaign including students, faculty, research, infrastructure and athletics. Cruzado has set the foundation for MSU to compete on a national stage in every element of the institution for decades to come.

I personally don’t see dUMb coming out of the current mess anytime soon and it will never come out of the current mess without landing its version of Cruzado. Sorry to be the one to deliver this downer over here, but there you go. Enjoy.
It seems like "I hope your university crumbles, debilitating your local economy because I like another university's sports team" is taking the rivalry to an unnecessary extreme, but maybe that's just me.

No.....it's me and many others too. I recall not that many years ago during "The Streak" when UM enrollment was also booming and MSU's lagging. Occasional mention of enrollment issues back then from UM folks and plenty of mention of "The Streak". Bozeman/MSU folks today seem overly proud of that truly historic "Montanaornian" town they've created down there with a growing college enrollment.

Both schools are important to the State, their communities and each other. Rivalries are great on the field and off the field among fans of both sides. Rivalries over enrollment....and hopes a State unit struggles and fails seems a bit much, but maybe that's just me.

AllWeatherFan said:

It's a universal truth. Great post.

The previous few years of UM/MSU fan relations reminds me of a familiar situation with many examples. Here's one of them: A group of guys are out on a golf trip or bachelor party. As usual, some are interesting/funny, and some are kind of shy/awkward. It doesn't make anyone better or worse than one another, it's just the way it is. One of the latter gents makes a comment that gets a positive reaction from the group. Maybe a, "Holy shit, Larry, you're hilarious! Who knew?" Then, rather than leaving it alone, he attempts to recreate the moment with every comment for the rest of the trip; each falling flat to the cringe of the group. It's a classic, "You're a lot better when you don't try to be anything you're not" situation.

IDK, it just reminds me of some "recently vocal" MSU fans. I mean, you're still Bobcats . . .

PlayerRep said:
ABQCat said:

Bodnar is already better than the MSU president. And people at UM like him, as opposed to the MSU president.
University President is not a popularity contest, particularly when tough restructuring decisions need to be made. I doubt there are few at MSU who don't highly respect their president.

AllWeatherFan said:

:clap:

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
ABQCat said:

University President is not a popularity contest, particularly when tough restructuring decisions need to be made. I doubt there are few at MSU who don't highly respect their president.

Huh? So, you think there are more than a few at MSU who don’t highly respect their president?

Cal Tech plays in D-III but has alumni who have walked on the moon and design satellite missions to Neptune & Pluto. Portland State has the highest student enrollment in the state of Oregon. Don't know for sure where I am going with this, but enrollment is not related to the prominence of the institution.

CDAGRIZ said:
bigsky33 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
EverettGriz said:
I'm still confused why anyone gives a f*** what the enrollment is when considering peer institutions.

I guess it’s so a school, in this case MSU, can say, “Hey, we just cracked 14k enrollment this year, and 14k people can’t be wrong...”. Either way, I never thought I’d see 14k enrollment in Bozeman. What a time!

CDA, MSU is looking at over 17,000 enrollment this coming fall. Last Fall it was 16, 902. You are off on your numbers.

Well, why didn't you say so?

It's so fucking easy that it's boring. Like shooting fish in a thimble.

Back