• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Future Schedule

EverettGriz said:
dbackjon said:
Spanky2 said:
Well, the playoffs group will likely attack me, but it would be positive for both Wyoming and Montana to negotiate a home and home series.

Never will happen as long as Wyoming is FBS and Montana is FCS

Hmmm...if only there were a solution to this problem....

you think Wyoming should be FCS too....?

Cats: as there is little or no interest at UM to move from the Big Sky to the FBS, I’m curious to know the mood at MSU? As UM is now the little brother to MSU, your school is now in the position of leadership. Your views, please

AllWeatherFan said:
EverettGriz said:
dbackjon said:
Spanky2 said:
Well, the playoffs group will likely attack me, but it would be positive for both Wyoming and Montana to negotiate a home and home series.

That's crazy talk, Everett.

UM should move up to FBS, play in the now-defunct WAC, lose $5 million more per year than it does now, and then figure out which academic departments to close in order to fund the extra deficit. Then, play Wyo. home and home, which will also cause additional deficit from lost revenue, compared to playing a weak FCS or D-II at home.

Apparently, UM hasn't been producing math whizzes. I know UM has produced some good accountants in the past, but not sure any of them post on egriz.

dbackjon said:
NAU has been Arizona State's best draw OOC most years we play down there. And a couple of years the NAU game was the best attended all season.

Placement in the schedule helps - first home game of the season, people excited to see what the home team will do (then they suck, so people stop coming, etc).

Interesting because from what I could find going back to 2011, the two times NAU played ASU those two games were one of the lowest-attended games for Arizona State. I got these numbers from ESPN box scores and couldn't find any attendance figures any farther back than 2011.

Arizona State 2016 Attendance
1. vs Washington State (50,582)
2. vs California (49,295)
3. vs UCLA (48,509)
4. vs Utah (48,220)
5. vs Northern Arizona (45,300)
6. vs Texas Tech (44,511)

Arizona State 2011 Attendance
1. vs Oregon (71,004)
2. vs Utah (58,107)
3. vs UCLA (55,672)
4. vs Illinois (54,128)
5. vs Washington State (53,658)
6. vs Northern Arizona (48,658)

Yukon said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
Spanky2 said:

Would it? I thought all or most FBS conference prohibited home and homes with FCS?
All, as far as I know.
Army played at Yale a few years ago, but that needed a waiver. Yale bowl holds 61,000.

And Yale beat Army in that game.

EverettGriz said:
dbackjon said:
Spanky2 said:

So Wyoming is joining the Big Sky? :mrgreen:

Montana had a chance to go FBS in what, 2011/12?

That window is closed for now. Unfortunately, there isn't a conference for Montana to move to.

There SHOULD be another western FBS conference (Sun Belt level), but the barriers to that are high.

get'em_griz said:
dbackjon said:
NAU has been Arizona State's best draw OOC most years we play down there. And a couple of years the NAU game was the best attended all season.

Placement in the schedule helps - first home game of the season, people excited to see what the home team will do (then they suck, so people stop coming, etc).

Interesting because from what I could find going back to 2011, the two times NAU played ASU those two games were one of the lowest-attended games for Arizona State. I got these numbers from ESPN box scores and couldn't find any attendance figures any farther back than 2011.

Arizona State 2016 Attendance
1. vs Washington State (50,582)
2. vs California (49,295)
3. vs UCLA (48,509)
4. vs Utah (48,220)
5. vs Northern Arizona (45,300)
6. vs Texas Tech (44,511)

Arizona State 2011 Attendance
1. vs Oregon (71,004)
2. vs Utah (58,107)
3. vs UCLA (55,672)
4. vs Illinois (54,128)
5. vs Washington State (53,658)
6. vs Northern Arizona (48,658)

I did specify OOC - so the conference games are not relevant.

2010 NAU game was second most attended (only #5 Oregon outdrew)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Arizona_State_Sun_Devils_football_team

2008 - only the Georgia and Oregon games out drew NAU

2003 - highest attended home game was NAU (NAU drew 9K more than Utah State did)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Arizona_State_Sun_Devils_football_team

ilovethecats said:
EverettGriz said:
dbackjon said:
Spanky2 said:

If the NCAA enforced their own rules, it would be. I don't think that Wyoming has met the minimum average attendance figures for many years. Isn't it 25,000 per game?

MikeyGriz said:
ilovethecats said:
EverettGriz said:
dbackjon said:

If the NCAA enforced their own rules, it would be. I don't think that Wyoming has met the minimum average attendance figures for many years. Isn't it 25,000 per game?

Are you serious? Do you know how many FBS schools average less than 25,000 in attendance?

The number is 15,000 BTW, and there are a number of FBS schools that flirt with that attendance requirement every year.

Raider said:
MikeyGriz said:
ilovethecats said:
EverettGriz said:

Are you serious? Do you know how many FBS schools average less than 25,000 in attendance?

The number is 15,000 BTW, and there are a number of FBS schools that flirt with that attendance requirement every year.

But I think that's largely due to weather....

SoldierGriz said:
Grizbeer said:
SoldierGriz said:
Spanky, running the table on an all FCS schedule and winning the BSC gets the Griz a top 4 seed guaranteed...if not top 2. That guarantees home playoff games. It's the path that led to most if not all of the Griz deep playoff runs in the past. It's the formula required now to RTD. Recruits like to win, that's what they like.

I assume what you are saying here is winning 3 fcs non-conf games AND winning the bsc, but not necessarily 11-0 and undefeated gets a top 4 seed, and probably a top 2? I don't think that is really true. 6-2 conference is usually good enough to win the conference, but 3 limited or non-scholarship wins won't lead to a strong enough sos to get a top seed. If you are saying Griz go undefeated in conference then surely a team that good could also afford a loss against a top ranked fcs or bsc and still get a top seed.

I'm not saying it has to be 3 top ranked or FBS teams on the non-conf schedule, but there has to be at least 1 top level fcs and 1 mid level fcs. Again the Griz had 7 d-1 wins in 2017 and got left out of the playoffs because the playoff committee wasn't impressed with the teams they beat including Valparaiso and savannah state.

I understand every year is different. I'm not sure Weber had a top FCS or Mid FCS win outside of conference last year...they did beat ewu and then lost to NAU in conference. Utah loss seemed irrelevant. #2 seed.

If a team has 2 plus conf losses, then yes, would need high quality out of conf FCS wins to get seed consideration. These wins most likely need to be over other playoff teams. But, 1 conf loss, conf champ, and wins in all out of conf FCS games gets top 4 seed vast majority of the time.

Undefeated BSC team with all FCS wins is absolutely guaranteed top 4 seed and I don't think it matters who those teams are. This may not be true for every conference, but it is for BSC.
Curious why you believe the selection committee would apply different rules to the BSC than other FCS conferences?

EverettGriz said:
Raider said:
MikeyGriz said:
ilovethecats said:

But I think that's largely due to weather....

I came up with 44, but its quite a few either way.

UM would rank 83rd of 128 in FBS attendance, sandwiched right between Fresno State and Kansas.

Raider said:
... I came up with 44, but its quite a few either way.

UM would rank 83rd of 128 in FBS attendance, sandwiched right between Fresno State and Kansas.
I came up with 45 that didn't make it to 25 thousand, based on the NCAA data for 2017. (The NCAA has not yet posted the official numbers for 2018.) But, as you suggest, the exact number is a minor quibble ... basically it means that about a third of the teams in FBS draw fewer than 25 thousand fans per home game.

Some of the teams in that group: UNLV (18,389), Georgia Southern (20,819), and Wyoming (21,266). Appalachian State just managed to slide past, at 26,153.

FYI: Ten teams did not make the 15 thousand attendance cut in 2017. Ball State was the worst (7,789), followed closely by New Mexico State (9,545). Idaho, BTW, checked in at 7th worse (11,190).

How did Idaho manage to remain FBS with the 15,000 requirement. The Mini Dome Tater Shed is at full capacity at 16,000. Any picture I have seen of the 'crowd' for ANY game shows way more aluminum than people. One picture of a Sun Belt game I've seen shows no more than 5,000, but the claim was 14,500. Blatant lying. Living in Pokey for as long as I did, I know what 5,000 fans in that cookie cutter Holt Dome looks like. Seen it many times.

tourist said:
How did Idaho manage to remain FBS with the 15,000 requirement. The Mini Dome Tater Shed is at full capacity at 16,000. Any picture I have seen of the 'crowd' for ANY game shows way more aluminum than people. One picture of a Sun Belt game I've seen shows no more than 5,000, but the claim was 14,500. Blatant lying. Living in Pokey for as long as I did, I know what 5,000 fans in that cookie cutter Holt Dome looks like. Seen it many times.

NCAA goes by tickets sold. Real easy for a booster to buy a bunch of cheap seats as part of donation. A lot of MAC schools have that going on as well.

Spanky2 said:
SoldierGriz said:
Grizbeer said:
SoldierGriz said:
Spanky, running the table on an all FCS schedule and winning the BSC gets the Griz a top 4 seed guaranteed...if not top 2. That guarantees home playoff games. It's the path that led to most if not all of the Griz deep playoff runs in the past. It's the formula required now to RTD. Recruits like to win, that's what they like.

I assume what you are saying here is winning 3 fcs non-conf games AND winning the bsc, but not necessarily 11-0 and undefeated gets a top 4 seed, and probably a top 2? I don't think that is really true. 6-2 conference is usually good enough to win the conference, but 3 limited or non-scholarship wins won't lead to a strong enough sos to get a top seed. If you are saying Griz go undefeated in conference then surely a team that good could also afford a loss against a top ranked fcs or bsc and still get a top seed.

I'm not saying it has to be 3 top ranked or FBS teams on the non-conf schedule, but there has to be at least 1 top level fcs and 1 mid level fcs. Again the Griz had 7 d-1 wins in 2017 and got left out of the playoffs because the playoff committee wasn't impressed with the teams they beat including Valparaiso and savannah state.

I understand every year is different. I'm not sure Weber had a top FCS or Mid FCS win outside of conference last year...they did beat ewu and then lost to NAU in conference. Utah loss seemed irrelevant. #2 seed.

If a team has 2 plus conf losses, then yes, would need high quality out of conf FCS wins to get seed consideration. These wins most likely need to be over other playoff teams. But, 1 conf loss, conf champ, and wins in all out of conf FCS games gets top 4 seed vast majority of the time.

Undefeated BSC team with all FCS wins is absolutely guaranteed top 4 seed and I don't think it matters who those teams are. This may not be true for every conference, but it is for BSC.
Curious why you believe the selection committee would apply different rules to the BSC than other FCS conferences?

Selection committee respects the BSC as it does the Missouri Valley and CAA. I think that is obvious by seeds granted and at-large selections overall. We typically see 3 or 4 make it from BSC every year, same or more from others above. I will admit I am going off memory on this and did not do any research.

dbackjon said:
tourist said:

NCAA goes by tickets sold. Real easy for a booster to buy a bunch of cheap seats as part of donation. A lot of MAC schools have that going on as well.

Thank you dback. NCAA is a total joke. Follow the money.

Spanky2 said:
So, you gentlemen seem to think it prepares our team by playing cream puff opponents leading up to the play offs? Let me guess——no problem, right?

Playing cream puffs doesn't make or break a championship caliber team, it only makes middle of the road teams look like more. Maybe just maybe it is less about the opponent and more about them...

Back