• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Who Are The UM Peer Schools?

dbackjon said:
indian-outlaw said:
EverettGriz said:
I'm still confused why anyone gives a f*** what the enrollment is when considering peer institutions.
It's one variable in judgeing. I would think job placement, salary, research dollars and national scholorships not sure what else. But we are a liberal arts school so we don't do well in any of those categories. Even eastern Washington has an engineering program that places students with pretty good jobs. Journalism and forestry have kind of fallen out of favor for the time being. We are not on par with the PAC 12 schools or mountain west.

Endowment is an another measuring stick. NAU, Montana and Idaho are the only Big Sky schools with endowments greater than $175M, with Idaho the highest in the 230's and Montana and NAU at 190 and 180.

MSU and WSU are in the low 110's, the rest below $100M (and most well below, EWU is at 18M)

Research: MSU, Idaho and Montana lead the way, Portland State and NAU next tier, ISU well back, and UNC/EWU/Weber/SUU far, far back.

Of course UC-Davis is top tier nationally.

Montana, Idaho, Montana State and NAU are the top academic schools, pretty big gap between those four and the rest of the conference.

Cal Poly and Davis are the top academic schools. Don't think it's even close.

US News Rankings --

Best Universities:

Davis tied for 38th

Idaho 165

UM 201

MSU 205

NAU 230

PSU 230

UNC 230

ISU Unranked

CP #1 in Top Public Schools
#12 in Regional Universities West (tie)

Sac St #69 (tie) in Regional Universities West

So Utah 81 (tie) in Regional Universities West

Weber #96-#127 in Regional Universities West

Best Universities:

UW 59

BYU 66

Utah 119

Colorado 96

Colo St. 140

Wash St 140

Wyo 183

Reno 201. UM also 201

Utah St 205

Boise St 230

UNLV 230

I think evaluating universities is pretty tough. UM has a great journalism school, law school etc.. MSU has great engineering programs etc.. And if we get into actually evaluating colleges in Montana you can't get much better than Montana Tech. Look at the ratings, job placement, costs etc.. and it has nothing to do with enrollment.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/montana-tech-2531

There is no answer that would make logical sense. Is Washington State a peer school in the PAC12? Although they occasionally have success in athletics, overall I would think that UCLA, USC, ASU, etc don't consider them a peer school. How about Vanderbilt in the SEC? Academically probably top tier, but athletically - no way.

It's a dumb argument to make because the answer is opinion based. To argue that EWU is not a peer school despite being in the Big Sky for 32 years is subjective at best. Did Idaho perform better when they went with their "peer" schools?

I can make the argument that neither UM nor MSU are peer schools of Montana Tech, which academically is far better than both (or at least once was). Does that make sense? Of course not. We are right where we need to be at this time, and schools like Southern Utah and especially Dixie State, are rapidly growing - and we've seen success from SU in athletics.

If University of Phoenix gets accepted into the Big Sky then people could complain, but for now I'm happy with the Big Sky - and a chance to actually win.

edit: per enrollment UM is 2nd smallest school in Big Sky, so that should be obvious why that is a dumb metric

CDAGRIZ said:
EverettGriz said:
I'm still confused why anyone gives a f*** what the enrollment is when considering peer institutions.

I guess it’s so a school, in this case MSU, can say, “Hey, we just cracked 14k enrollment this year, and 14k people can’t be wrong...”. Either way, I never thought I’d see 14k enrollment in Bozeman. What a time!

CDA, MSU is looking at over 17,000 enrollment this coming fall. Last Fall it was 16, 902. You are off on your numbers.

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
KoolMoeDee said:
From the Board of Regents website.

Enrollment https://mus.edu/data/Enrollment/enrollment.asp
Peers https://mus.edu/data/Peer_Analysis.asp

Thanks KMD, maybe (probably not) this'll put this thread to bed.

It should have, but as you noted there was almost no way that was gonna happen. ROFL.

EverettGriz said:

As a prospective student it wouldn’t matter to me if I was picking a school to attend. Knowing that enrollment was dropping might influence that decision. Will the program I’m looking at get dropped if enrollment continues to drop?

Even though our enrollment is dropping and MSU’s is growing I still consider MSU our peer in many ways.

Enrollment, however, is very important in other ways. It’s not a factor in selection unless I just want to be on a big campus or I just want a more quaint campus.

As far as peers KMD’s link (the one on peers; not enrollment) is about as close as you can get.

Surprised to see MSU campus enrollment is now nearly double of the UM campus. Equally surprising that we’re now under 8,000 on campus.

bigsky33 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
EverettGriz said:

I guess it’s so a school, in this case MSU, can say, “Hey, we just cracked 14k enrollment this year, and 14k people can’t be wrong...”. Either way, I never thought I’d see 14k enrollment in Bozeman. What a time!

CDA, MSU is looking at over 17,000 enrollment this coming fall. Last Fall it was 16, 902. You are off on your numbers.

I thought we cleared this up. No one gives a fuck.

Perhaps this highlights why enrollment doesn't mean shit. msu grads are evidently as dumb as the local drunk in the corner bar: fully incapable of grasping a simple and logical concept, so instead they just keep repeating the same meaningless point, but each time do so in a louder voice, believing that makes them more convincing.

grizband said:
dbackjon said:
indian-outlaw said:
EverettGriz said:
It's one variable in judgeing. I would think job placement, salary, research dollars and national scholorships not sure what else. But we are a liberal arts school so we don't do well in any of those categories. Even eastern Washington has an engineering program that places students with pretty good jobs. Journalism and forestry have kind of fallen out of favor for the time being. We are not on par with the PAC 12 schools or mountain west.

Endowment is an another measuring stick. NAU, Montana and Idaho are the only Big Sky schools with endowments greater than $175M, with Idaho the highest in the 230's and Montana and NAU at 190 and 180.

MSU and WSU are in the low 110's, the rest below $100M (and most well below, EWU is at 18M)

Research: MSU, Idaho and Montana lead the way, Portland State and NAU next tier, ISU well back, and UNC/EWU/Weber/SUU far, far back.

Montana, Idaho, Montana State and NAU are the top academic schools, pretty big gap between those four and the rest of the conference.
UC Davis has an endowment over $1 billion

Yes, Davis is on a different level in endowment and academic standing, but they aren't a full member of the BSC, so didn't include them.

PlayerRep said:
dbackjon said:
indian-outlaw said:
EverettGriz said:

Cal Poly and Davis are the top academic schools. Don't think it's even close.

If they were full members, yes. But they are an one-sport affiliate. I didn't mention SUNY-Binghampton or Univ of Hartford's academics or endowment either

EverettGriz said:
bigsky33 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
EverettGriz said:

I thought we cleared this up. No one gives a f***.

Perhaps this highlights why enrollment doesn't mean shit. msu grads are evidently as dumb as the local drunk in the corner bar: fully incapable of grasping a simple and logical concept, so instead they just keep repeating the same meaningless point, but each time do so in a louder voice, believing that makes them more convincing.
Correct. MSU’s enrollment will begin to drop and ours will stabilize. Enrollment is dropping everywhere. Has been for 4-5 years. It’ll take another big hit in 2025 due to low birth rates from the great recession of 2007-2008. MSU could be back down to 12,000 and UM around 6,000. We’ll still be peers then too.

EverettGriz said:
bigsky33 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
EverettGriz said:

Was just correcting CDA as he consistently keeps getting the numbers wrong. I was just speaking to the numbers. I agree that enrollment is not an issue when it comes to peer schools.

bigsky33 said:
EverettGriz said:
bigsky33 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Was just correcting CDA as he consistently keeps getting the numbers wrong. I was just speaking to the numbers. I agree that enrollment is not an issue when it comes to peer schools.

Perhaps he gets it wrong on purpose just to watch people like you get their panties in a twist.

cclarkblues said:
bigsky33 said:
EverettGriz said:
bigsky33 said:

Perhaps he gets it wrong on purpose just to watch people like you get their panties in a twist.

Nothing in a twist at all. Just clarifying things. Kind of strange to put numbers wrong on purpose.

bigsky33 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
EverettGriz said:

Well, why didn't you say so?

Good stuff from the usual suspects over here. CDA's inverse counter-trolling techniques are in play and doing a good job. PR hasn't completely gone off the rails in his patented 'scorched earth' mode yet, but there's still time. A few posters are dancing around the answer but nobody has actually nailed it yet, which I'll do now. You’re welcome.

The MSU 5-foot-nothing President is staggeringly good at her job, and that is the common link in all the different elements of the dUMb decline and MSU's growth. I recently received a nice summary book highlighting the "What it Takes" capital campaign, and even without blue and gold colored glasses, the overall effectiveness is mind boggling. The effort went public in 2015 with a goal of $300M, and at the time of the recent announcement, MSU had raised $413M (and growing). Every aspect of the University is benefiting from this campaign including students, faculty, research, infrastructure and athletics. Cruzado has set the foundation for MSU to compete on a national stage in every element of the institution for decades to come.

I personally don’t see dUMb coming out of the current mess anytime soon and it will never come out of the current mess without landing its version of Cruzado. Sorry to be the one to deliver this downer over here, but there you go. Enjoy.

ABQCat said:
Good stuff from the usual suspects over here. CDA's inverse counter-trolling techniques are in play and doing a good job. PR hasn't completely gone off the rails in his patented 'scorched earth' mode yet, but there's still time. A few posters are dancing around the answer but nobody has actually nailed it yet, which I'll do now. You’re welcome.

The MSU 5-foot-nothing President is staggeringly good at her job, and that is the common link in all the different elements of the dUMb decline and MSU's growth. I recently received a nice summary book highlighting the "What it Takes" capital campaign, and even without blue and gold colored glasses, the overall effectiveness is mind boggling. The effort went public in 2015 with a goal of $300M, and at the time of the recent announcement, MSU had raised $413M (and growing). Every aspect of the University is benefiting from this campaign including students, faculty, research, infrastructure and athletics. Cruzado has set the foundation for MSU to compete on a national stage in every element of the institution for decades to come.

I personally don’t see dUMb coming out of the current mess anytime soon and it will never come out of the current mess without landing its version of Cruzado. Sorry to be the one to deliver this downer over here, but there you go. Enjoy.
It seems like "I hope your university crumbles, debilitating your local economy because I like another university's sports team" is taking the rivalry to an unnecessary extreme, but maybe that's just me.

Regardless of enrollments, endowments, capital campaigns, foundations, faculty achievements, research, infrastructure, presidents, local economies, growth trends, stock markets, national prestige, fundraising, technological advances, weather, climate, human evolution, etc., one thing will always be true: Bobcats suck.

Latest posts

Back