• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Damian Lillard

Lillard doesn't hold a candle to Micheal Ray's defense. Sugar was cat quick and could steal the ball away from ANYBODY. He either led the NBA or was near the top in both assists and steals. Realize how valuable extra possessions are to a team...

Richardsons offense although very good in the NBA for the day...... doesn't hold a candle to Lilliard''s offense in today's game.

Apples to Oranges....Agree not a fair comparison for the two players due the evolution of the game.

Lillard doesn't hold a candle to Micheal Ray's defense. Sugar was cat quick and could steal the ball away from ANYBODY. He either led the NBA or was near the top in both assists and steals. Realize how valuable extra possessions are to a team...

Richardsons offense although very good in the NBA for the day...... doesn't hold a candle to Lilliard''s offense in today's game.

Apples to Oranges....Agree not a fair comparison for the two players due the evolution of the game.

Kabooom said:

No winners in this debate.

I'm 68 and have no doubts about it.....MRR would have a hard time getting as many steals now because of the non-palming...everyone handles the ball much better now.....MRR would be lucky to average 3 steals, 10pt, and 4rbs now....He knew he couldn't play in the NBA anymore after his suspension so he made the right choice and went overseas.....MRR may not even be the greatest U of Montana player ever....he would have to beat out Larry K for that honor.....

sacstateman said:
I'm 68 and have no doubts about it.....MRR would have a hard time getting as many steals now because of the non-palming...everyone handles the ball much better now.....MRR would be lucky to average 3 steals, 10pt, and 4rbs now....He knew he couldn't play in the NBA anymore after his suspension so he made the right choice and went overseas.....MRR may not even be the greatest U of Montana player ever....he would have to beat out Larry K for that honor.....

Hey Sac, Don't you think that getting away with palming the ball has become so ridiculous, and so overlooked not only in the NBA, but across all levels of play... in particular , the NBA? The league that all the up-coming gym rats try to emulate, hence the degradation of the palming rule. I have no doubt Michael ray would have excelled as a defensive player in today's game and had just as many steals if not more because of all the allowed palming now-days. When you palm the ball, you are extending the time necessary for the ball to hit the floor, allowing more time to steal the ball. If palming the ball is handling the ball better.... which it does , then yes they are much much better players today....as far as getting away with palming the ball without getting whistled for it....that's on the refs, and hey in today's game the owners want to keep a high -scoring game...don't want that silly little no-palming rule slow the game down....$$$$$$ :)If all the better players of today played back in Richardson's era, half would be riding the bench or wouldn't even make the cut because they didn't know how not to turn the ball over because of their propensity to palm the damn ball all the time.......morphed for sure.

garizzalies said:
AZGrizFan said:
I’ll repeat it, because it bears repeating: Lillard would get KILLED in MMR’s NBA. The two games aren’t even comparable.
Do you really think the talent level in the nba was better 40 years ago? Do you think computers were better 40 years ago, too?
I was kind of joking around in this thread teasing all you old frogs and your crazy nostalgia but this is starting to get absurd. At first I thought you guys were just a bit over the hill, reliving the glory days, and a little out of touch. But now I realize I way underestimated you and your average age. As shown above, a 53yro gets it. So you guys must be much older than I thought. And not just old, you’re senile and dementia is starting to take hold.

I'm 56, and I'm not talking about talent. I'm talking about the physicality of the game. Go watch some of the old games with Bird, Laimbeer, Walton, Magic, McHale, Johnson, etc., etc....the shit they used to do on a regular basis would get Flagrant 2's now and automatic ejection. Today's players are prima donnas and most wouldn't last 10 minutes in the NBA of 30 years ago. Need I remind you it was Laimbeer who basically ended Krysto's NBA career...he was never the same after that knee injury (because medicine wasn't as good 30 years ago either! lol).

AZGrizFan said:
garizzalies said:
AZGrizFan said:
I’ll repeat it, because it bears repeating: Lillard would get KILLED in MMR’s NBA. The two games aren’t even comparable.
Do you really think the talent level in the nba was better 40 years ago? Do you think computers were better 40 years ago, too?
I was kind of joking around in this thread teasing all you old frogs and your crazy nostalgia but this is starting to get absurd. At first I thought you guys were just a bit over the hill, reliving the glory days, and a little out of touch. But now I realize I way underestimated you and your average age. As shown above, a 53yro gets it. So you guys must be much older than I thought. And not just old, you’re senile and dementia is starting to take hold.

I'm 56, and I'm not talking about talent. I'm talking about the physicality of the game. Go watch some of the old games with Bird, Laimbeer, Walton, Magic, McHale, Johnson, etc., etc....the shit they used to do on a regular basis would get Flagrant 2's now and automatic ejection. Today's players are prima donnas and most wouldn't last 10 minutes in the NBA of 30 years ago. Need I remind you it was Laimbeer who basically ended Krysto's NBA career...he was never the same after that knee injury (because medicine wasn't as good 30 years ago either! lol).
Laimbeer was a punk. He couldn't get up and down the floor with today's NBA players. Tell me one player he could defend on the Warriors roster? Could you imagine what Kevin Durant would do to him? Who on any of those Pistons teams could defend him? Rick Mahorn?..too slow Joe Dumars? too small. The same with Celtics and Lakers teams then. The game has changed for sure..not as physical but way better athletes.

AZGrizFan said:
garizzalies said:
AZGrizFan said:

Agreed...If the game never morphed from that era of physicality, many of today's gifted two sport athlete's might be taking a different career path to the now dumbed-down and less physically abusive NFL... :)

garizzalies said:
AZGrizFan said:
Oh Heck Tad-pole....You probably weren't even a shine in your Dad's grinning eyes when this was going on to comprehend or to have any interest or empathy for those who remember.Here's an old and out-dated phrase that definitely applies to you......Here, let me dust it off....Children are to be seen, and not heard.
No, really, just joking. :)

Baja!

UncleRico said:
AZGrizFan said:
garizzalies said:
AZGrizFan said:

Laimbeer was a punk. He couldn't get up and down the floor with today's NBA players. Tell me one player he could defend on the Warriors roster? Could you imagine what Kevin Durant would do to him? Who on any of those Pistons teams could defend him? Rick Mahorn?..too slow Joe Dumars? too small. The same with Celtics and Lakers teams then. The game has changed for sure..not as physical but way better athletes.

Kevin Durant would have got chopped down inside and abused like a Red Headed Step-child out front back then......Because physical guys like Liambeer would get away with abusing Durant's tooth-pick like frame. The old school guys would have made particle- board out of the tooth-pick. I know... it's hard for today's Show Crowd come to grips with that...

AZGrizFan said:
garizzalies said:
AZGrizFan said:

There you go arguing nostalgia and how the game changed again. But that’s not the debate. The question is who is the best nba-er from the BSC? You mention all kinds of players but no analysis of the two we’re actually debating. You’re just making shit up and not looking at it objectively.
“today’s players are prima donnas.” Really? That’s how you’re going to compare MRR to DL? You said you’re “not talking about talent” so you must be talking about something off the court? You really want to compare character flaws? If I had to assign the “prima Donna” title to one of them, it certainly would not be DL. Do a little research and you might see that DL is far from a prima donna. For cripes sake do you even remember MRR’s most famous quote? Is it dementia or selective memory? Payton please post so AZ can see your sig.

garizzalies said:
AZGrizFan said:
garizzalies said:
AZGrizFan said:

There you go arguing nostalgia and how the game changed again. But that’s not the debate. The question is who is the best nba-er from the BSC? You mention all kinds of players but no analysis of the two we’re actually debating. You’re just making shit up and not looking at it objectively.
“today’s players are prima donnas.” Really? That’s how you’re going to compare MRR to DL? You said you’re “not talking about talent” so you must be talking about something off the court? You really want to compare character flaws? If I had to assign the “prima Donna” title to one of them, it certainly would not be DL. Do a little research and you might see that DL is far from a prima donna. For cripes sake do you even remember MRR’s most famous quote? Is it dementia or selective memory? Payton please post so AZ can see your sig.

MRR's most famous quote?..... is debatable as well as there's a few of those Buttes to choose from also
..lol.
Blanket generalizations sometimes fail. I don't think there's many on this board who think Damien Lillard is a Primadonna

Who is the greatest nba player from the BSC?

A 4-time all nba player and (I believe) the only all nba-er from the conference?

Or someone who literally received a lifetime ban from the nba?

Only in this little sliver of cyberspace is this even a debate.

Hell, from this perspective, the argument could be made that Stucky was a better nba-er than Sugar

16c35deddfa257dc3dd8fb48bf10e1c9.jpg

Toying with Bay area loyalties.... Damian Lillard arriving for game one of the NBA West Championship series.

[media]https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1128436658620313601[/media]

Trivia questions. Who has the best NBA career 3-pt shooting percentage?

Who was the best NBA career 3-pt shooting percentage? Steph and Seth Curry?

PlayerRep said:
MRR would have played way better than Lilliard did tonight. Ha.

He will bounce back..game 7 Sunday and then right at it. But the Warriors are so good the Blazers need to play near perfect to compete.

PlayerRep said:
Trivia questions. Who has the best NBA career 3-pt shooting percentage?

Who was the best NBA career 3-pt shooting percentage? Steph and Seth Curry?

I cheated and googled it. Steve Kerr? wow. He didn't shoot often but was usually wide open. Helps to play on same team as Jordan and Pippen. Speaking of Kerr..he summarized it best with this.

“Just watching our guys and how talented they are and how talented Houston is, there’s no way I could have played in the NBA today,” Kerr said Monday during Game 1 of the WCF. “I came around at the right time, 20 years ago.”

Back