• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Who Are The UM Peer Schools?

What the hell is a peer school? Go ask your wife which of her ex's you are a peer of...make sure to find out where you rank. I'm sure it will be nothing but constructive. TROLL ON DUDES, TROLL ON

Copper Griz said:
Spanky2 said:
If correct, sad to hear we are a peer school of Eastern Washington, Northern Colorado, Southern Utah. I wasn’t aware that it was based on population.

Utah State University (also referred to as USU or Utah State) is a public land-grant research university in Logan, Utah. It is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.[9] With nearly 20,000 students living on or near campus, USU is Utah's largest public residential campus.[10] As of Fall 2018, there were 27,932 students enrolled including 24,880 undergraduate students and 3,052 graduate students.[1] The university has the highest percentage of out-of-state students of any public university in Utah totaling 23% of the student body.[11]

U of M - between 10k- 11k. Wyoming is approximately 12,397. MSU enrollment is approx 14,725.

Population and enrollment matter. Why do we think a state of 1 million and an institution of 10-11k is deserving of a “higher status”. Seriously, we can’t win the FCS title and the school is struggling academically. What is your argument. Are you just trolling?

MSU enrollment for the past school year was just under 17,000. It is expected that it will surpass 17,000 in the fall.

bigsky33 said:
Copper Griz said:
Spanky2 said:
If correct, sad to hear we are a peer school of Eastern Washington, Northern Colorado, Southern Utah. I wasn’t aware that it was based on population.

Utah State University (also referred to as USU or Utah State) is a public land-grant research university in Logan, Utah. It is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.[9] With nearly 20,000 students living on or near campus, USU is Utah's largest public residential campus.[10] As of Fall 2018, there were 27,932 students enrolled including 24,880 undergraduate students and 3,052 graduate students.[1] The university has the highest percentage of out-of-state students of any public university in Utah totaling 23% of the student body.[11]

U of M - between 10k- 11k. Wyoming is approximately 12,397. MSU enrollment is approx 14,725.

Population and enrollment matter. Why do we think a state of 1 million and an institution of 10-11k is deserving of a “higher status”. Seriously, we can’t win the FCS title and the school is struggling academically. What is your argument. Are you just trolling?

MSU enrollment for the past school year was just under 17,000. It is expected that it will surpass 17,000 in the fall.

Central Florida's enrollment is 67,000, so they must be 3.5 times better than MSU and almost 5 times better than the U of M. MIT's is almost exactly the same as the U of M, so there is our peer school. :roll:

UM is peerless. I do think it’s interesting how MSU went from barely 7,000 students to almost 14,000 students currently, in just four short years.

CDAGRIZ said:
UM is peerless. I do think it’s interesting how MSU went from barely 7,000 students to almost 14,000 students currently, in just four short years.

MSU to almost 17,000 students.

https://www.montana.edu/news/18011/msu-sets-fall-enrollment-record-sees-increases-in-retention-and-graduation-rates

Copper Griz said:
Spanky2 said:

Oops! I posted before I saw that you actually did research. I thought they weren’t quite up to 14k in Bozo. Thanks for posting the actual number.

From the Board of Regents website.

Enrollment https://mus.edu/data/Enrollment/enrollment.asp
Peers https://mus.edu/data/Peer_Analysis.asp

KoolMoeDee said:
From the Board of Regents website.

Enrollment https://mus.edu/data/Enrollment/enrollment.asp
Peers https://mus.edu/data/Peer_Analysis.asp

Thanks KMD, maybe (probably not) this'll put this thread to bed.

SaskGriz said:
What the hell is a peer school? Go ask your wife which of her ex's you are a peer of...make sure to find out where you rank. I'm sure it will be nothing but constructive. TROLL ON DUDES, TROLL ON

Subtle, eh? :lol:

CDAGRIZ said:
Copper Griz said:
Spanky2 said:

Oops! I posted before I saw that you actually did research. I thought they weren’t quite up to 14k in Bozo. Thanks for posting the actual number.

The actual number for Fall of 2019 enrollment is 16,902 at MSU. This fall the estimate is over 17,000.

EverettGriz said:
I'm still confused why anyone gives a f*** what the enrollment is when considering peer institutions.
It's one variable in judgeing. I would think job placement, salary, research dollars and national scholorships not sure what else. But we are a liberal arts school so we don't do well in any of those categories. Even eastern Washington has an engineering program that places students with pretty good jobs. Journalism and forestry have kind of fallen out of favor for the time being. We are not on par with the PAC 12 schools or mountain west.

EverettGriz said:
I'm still confused why anyone gives a f*** what the enrollment is when considering peer institutions.

In the case of UM and MSU, it is an indication of enrollment success (growth and decline), tuition income, and state allocation of funds. There may be some other reasons too, but I basically agree with you.

EverettGriz said:
I'm still confused why anyone gives a fuck what the enrollment is when considering peer institutions.

I guess it’s so a school, in this case MSU, can say, “Hey, we just cracked 14k enrollment this year, and 14k people can’t be wrong...”. Either way, I never thought I’d see 14k enrollment in Bozeman. What a time!

indian-outlaw said:
EverettGriz said:
It's one variable in judgeing. I would think job placement, salary, research dollars and national scholorships not sure what else. But we are a liberal arts school so we don't do well in any of those categories. Even eastern Washington has an engineering program that places students with pretty good jobs. Journalism and forestry have kind of fallen out of favor for the time being. We are not on par with the PAC 12 schools or mountain west.

Endowment is an another measuring stick. NAU, Montana and Idaho are the only Big Sky schools with endowments greater than $175M, with Idaho the highest in the 230's and Montana and NAU at 190 and 180.

MSU and WSU are in the low 110's, the rest below $100M (and most well below, EWU is at 18M)

Research: MSU, Idaho and Montana lead the way, Portland State and NAU next tier, ISU well back, and UNC/EWU/Weber/SUU far, far back.

Of course UC-Davis is top tier nationally.

Montana, Idaho, Montana State and NAU are the top academic schools, pretty big gap between those four and the rest of the conference.

dbackjon said:
indian-outlaw said:
EverettGriz said:

Endowment is an another measuring stick. NAU, Montana and Idaho are the only Big Sky schools with endowments greater than $175M, with Idaho the highest in the 230's and Montana and NAU at 190 and 180.

MSU and WSU are in the low 110's, the rest below $100M (and most well below, EWU is at 18M)

Research: MSU, Idaho and Montana lead the way, Portland State and NAU next tier, ISU well back, and UNC/EWU/Weber/SUU far, far back.

Montana, Idaho, Montana State and NAU are the top academic schools, pretty big gap between those four and the rest of the conference.

Post of the year.

dbackjon said:
indian-outlaw said:
EverettGriz said:

UC Davis has an endowment over $1 billion

Latest posts

Back