• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2019 Big Sky Softball Tourney

That was a huge play! UNC with runners at 1st and 3rd with 2 outs in last at at bat. They steal and catcher throws laser to 2nd baseman covering (runner holds short) who throws laser back home to catcher to get runner pegged at plate from third. Let’s go!

HookedonGriz said:
Man this is where the coaching drives me crazy. Griz have one out and then back to back walks put runners at 1 and 2. We decide to try and bunt the runners over (knowing full well the gal on deck, Petrino, would struggle to score them anyways as she’s struggled with the bat). Our bunter fouls the frost one, watches strike 2, and then takes a bad swing and miss for strike 3. Now Petrino is up and grounds out softly to the pitcher to end the inning. I don’t see many people bunting runners over with 1 out and your weakest hitter on deck. That was dumb.

The girl they had bunting was Hayton I think. Why you would have a hitter with a .275 average bunting when you already have a runner in scoring position with one out is beyond me? Then you look at the fact that you have a .275 hitter bunting to get to Petrino who is hitting .165 for the season and I just scratch my head?????

84GRIZ said:
HookedonGriz said:
Man this is where the coaching drives me crazy. Griz have one out and then back to back walks put runners at 1 and 2. We decide to try and bunt the runners over (knowing full well the gal on deck, Petrino, would struggle to score them anyways as she’s struggled with the bat). Our bunter fouls the frost one, watches strike 2, and then takes a bad swing and miss for strike 3. Now Petrino is up and grounds out softly to the pitcher to end the inning. I don’t see many people bunting runners over with 1 out and your weakest hitter on deck. That was dumb.

The girl they had bunting was Hayton I think. Why you would have a hitter with a .275 average bunting when you already have a runner in scoring position with one out is beyond me? Then you look at the fact that you have a .275 hitter bunting to get to Petrino who is hitting .165 for the season and I just scratch my head?????

Bingo! You’re like my brother from another mother on this. And Hayton looked like she had never laid down a bunt before. This is not the first time Melanie has made absolute blunder decisions like this in managing a game.

I thought Montana put the bat on the ball pretty well... their hard-hit shots just didn't find the gaps (7 l.o.b.). McGrath had two shots (with Pippel on base both times) that were caught within 4-5 ft. of the fence. And, with runners at 2nd and 3rd in the bottom of the 6th, had the batter in the box they'd pick 9/10 times.

Every game played in the Big Sky Conference tourney today -- except the last one -- was decided by ONE run. The fourth game was just postponed because of darkness, in the top of the 9th inning, with the score tied at 1-1 between Northern Colorado and Idaho State. It will resume tomorrow at 9 a.m.

Besides Montana's 1-0 loss to Northern Colorado, Portland State beat Sac State 2-1 and Weber State edged PSU 3-2. Montana will play PSU tomorrow at 11 a.m.

grizzlyjournal said:
I thought Montana put the bat on the ball pretty well... their hard-hit shots just didn't find the gaps (7 l.o.b.). McGrath had two shots (with Pippel on base both times) that were caught within 4-5 ft. of the fence. And, with runners at 2nd and 3rd in the bottom of the 6th, had the batter in the box they'd pick 9/10 times.

I absolutely love your support, passion, and allegiance to the softball team. It’simpressive and admirable. I will disagree though on what you said about their bats. They only had 4 hits, going 1 for 10 with runners on base, and 0 for 5 with runners in scoring position. Their hitting was awful. It’s hard to beat anyone with only four hits.

HookedonGriz said:
grizzlyjournal said:

I absolutely love your support, passion, and allegiance to the softball team. It’simpressive and admirable. I will disagree though on what you said about their bats. They only had 4 hits, going 1 for 10 with runners on base, and 0 for 5 with runners in scoring position. Their hitting was awful. It’s hard to beat anyone with only four hits.

Hooked: A careful examination of the game box score will reveal that you are absolutely correct and my statement regarding "bat-on-ball" pretty dumb. You're right. Four hits won't win many games. But, yes, I am taking a positive approach. I do have allegiance and support for the Montana softball team (passion? meh). I think that's ok. I do NOT follow the team with blind loyalty, thus believe there are signigicant areas where this young team is making daily progress. They're going to be winners.

There's a really good extended video, recently published, with Seattle Mariners' manager, Scott Servais. In it he discusses many aspects of the Mariners' makeover (a team I believe has some serious issues: I am not comparing them in any way to the Montana softball team). But, Servais offers some of his personal "philosophy of the game" about how to develop a team. In some (not all) games, it's ok to look beyond the box score. With some teams (not all teams) it's important to look at potential when a young team breaks down in some games.

Another example: Three years ago, Montana's talented young team had some awful breakdowns in their quest for a Big Sky title. Through the mistakes, though, you could see their talent. All that team did was convert that subpar season into two straight titles.

This Montana team is still fundamentally a work in progress. But, mistakes & all, they're a lot of fun to watch.

P.S. To HookedonGriz: If you want to look at a Montana team from this past year that had some truly awful breakdowns... I'd suggest examining the whys&hows of Montana's losses to Western Illinois, Portland State, UC Davis and Montana State... all losses that a couple of my Griz-freak football followers friends have problems explaining.

grizzlyjournal said:
HookedonGriz said:
grizzlyjournal said:

Hooked: A careful examination of the game box score will reveal that you are absolutely correct and my statement regarding "bat-on-ball" pretty dumb. You're right. Four hits won't win many games. But, yes, I am taking a positive approach. I do have allegiance and support for the Montana softball team (passion? meh). I think that's ok. I do NOT follow the team with blind loyalty, thus believe there are signigicant areas where this young team is making daily progress. They're going to be winners.

There's a really good extended video, recently published, with Seattle Mariners' manager, Scott Servais. In it he discusses many aspects of the Mariners' makeover (a team I believe has some serious issues: I am not comparing them in any way to the Montana softball team). But, Servais offers some of his personal "philosophy of the game" about how to develop a team. In some (not all) games, it's ok to look beyond the box score. With some teams (not all teams) it's important to look at potential when a young team breaks down in some games.

Another example: Three years ago, Montana's talented young team had some awful breakdowns in their quest for a Big Sky title. Through the mistakes, though, you could see their talent. All that team did was convert that subpar season into two straight titles.

This Montana team is still fundamentally a work in progress. But, mistakes & all, they're a lot of fun to watch.

Yes agree with what you’re saying. They are young and much improved in a lot of categories (team batting avg i believe is .307 this year) and they will only get better. I think they are a blast to watch. And you’re right you have to look beyond just the box score.

Other things that don’t show up in the box score are coaching gaffs like trying to bunt runners over with 1 our and s bad bunter at the plate followed by a .165 hitter on deck. Took them right out of the inning. Not the first time Coach Mel has made that mistake. Please tell me that one frustrated you too.

Valerie Vidal if UNC is now 2-0. In 19 innings she’s allowed 1 earned run after posting an era of 5.23 in the regular season.

HookedonGriz said:
grizzlyjournal said:
HookedonGriz said:
grizzlyjournal said:

Yes agree with what you’re saying. They are young and much improved in a lot of categories (team batting avg i believe is .307 this year) and they will only get better. I think they are a blast to watch. And you’re right you have to look beyond just the box score.

Other things that don’t show up in the box score are coaching gaffs like trying to bunt runners over with 1 our and s bad bunter at the plate followed by a .165 hitter on deck. Took them right out of the inning. Not the first time Coach Mel has made that mistake. Please tell me that one frustrated you too.

Know what you are talking about, from experience. (apologies for being long-winded) I played fastpitch softball (1967-70) in one of the greatest fp leagues in America... USAF Strategic Air Command FP Assn. (something like that). I think my batting average was around .180, but I got pretty good at sac. bunting and the worst thing was slapping a pop-foul bunt to 3b. So... yes. I admire the skills of Northern Colorado and Portland State, whose lineups each have 3 lefties who are pretty good at drag bunts and soft slap-pops just over the reach of the charging 3b. In Air Force fastpitch there were so many dominant pitchers some teams built their offense around drag-hitting and then (while on base) runners intentionally getting into run-downs to force a play at home. (The Griz played that strategy well against UNC.) Many, many top flight FP teams build their entire offensive strategy on sac bunts with one runner on base and with one out. It's a risky game plan... but look at the Big Sky results so far.... EVERY game won by 1-run... 2-1, 1-0, 1-0 and... 3-2!

I don't call the coach's strategy a mistake: I call it a late-game gamble that did not pay out.

alabamagrizzly said:
Valerie Vidal if UNC is now 2-0. In 19 innings she’s allowed 1 earned run after posting an era of 5.23 in the regular season.

She's got absolute command of her dropping sinker that slides just off the plate to the right. Deadly on lefties.

grizzlyjournal said:
HookedonGriz said:
grizzlyjournal said:
HookedonGriz said:

Know what you are talking about, from experience. (apologies for being long-winded) I played fastpitch softball (1967-70) in one of the greatest fp leagues in America... USAF Strategic Air Command FP Assn. (something like that). I was a 3rd-string fill-in for two guys shipped off for combat duty. I think my batting average was around .180, but I got pretty good at sac. bunting and the worst thing was slapping a pop-foul bunt to 3b. So... yes. I admire the skills of Northern Colorado and Portland State, whose lineups each have 3 lefties who are pretty good at drag bunts and soft slap-pops just over the reach of the charging 3b. In Air Force fastpitch there were so many dominant pitchers some teams built their offense around drag-hitting and then (while on base) runners intentionally getting into run-downs to force a play at home. (The Griz played that strategy well against UNC.) Many, many top flight FP teams build their entire offensive strategy on sac bunts with one runner on base and with one out. It's a risky game plan... but look at the Big Sky results so far.... EVERY game won by 1-run... 2-1, 1-0, 1-0 and... 3-2!

I don't call the coach's strategy a mistake: I call it a late-game gamble that did not pay out.

Griz come right back, tie the game with great base-running and rbi singles from McGrath and Pippel. Game tied 4-4. PSU makes pitching change.

Back