• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2019 Record - expectations and reality

poorgriz said:
Silenoz said:
poorgriz said:
jcu27 said:
Said every bobcat fan every year.

Anybody want to place a bet on whether or not the Bobcats have a losing season in 2019? Any amount? Didn't think so. :coffee:
We get it, the Bobcats are experiencing their modern heyday. Granted by heyday I mean still losing to EWU by double digits and getting shitfucked by teams like SDSU and NDSU, but hey what can you do?

Hey now, no need to throw a hissy fit! Nobody is saying the CATS are going to take down NDSU next year. I'm just trying to help y'all out here and point out that if you're expecting the CATS to have a losing season next year (Really stupid prediction), you're going to be seriously disappointed.

The cats may legitimately have the easiest schedule in all of big sky. Like I said they could literally fall asleep and wake up in the playoffs. It is what it is. If they don’t make the playoffs it would be a meltdown of epic proportion where one would have to think your head coach would seriously be on the chopping block

HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
Silenoz said:
poorgriz said:
Anybody want to place a bet on whether or not the Bobcats have a losing season in 2019? Any amount? Didn't think so. :coffee:
We get it, the Bobcats are experiencing their modern heyday. Granted by heyday I mean still losing to EWU by double digits and getting shitfucked by teams like SDSU and NDSU, but hey what can you do?

Hey now, no need to throw a hissy fit! Nobody is saying the CATS are going to take down NDSU next year. I'm just trying to help y'all out here and point out that if you're expecting the CATS to have a losing season next year (Really stupid prediction), you're going to be seriously disappointed.

The cats may legitimately have the easiest schedule in all of big sky. Like I said they could literally fall asleep and wake up in the playoffs. It is what it is. If they don’t make the playoffs it would be a meltdown of epic proportion where one would have to think your head coach would seriously be on the chopping block

Exactly! Thanks for agreeing with me. That's precisely why I felt the need to call out the stupid post suggesting that the CATS were going to have a losing season in 2019.

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
Silenoz said:

Exactly! Thanks for agreeing with me. That's precisely why I felt the need to call out the stupid post suggesting that the CATS were going to have a losing season in 2019.
One man's compulsive post is another man's hissy fit, am I right? Besides, if there one person who doesn't take teenagers playing football too seriously, it's me :thumb:

I called out the Cats being a lock to make the playoffs before last season. I'll do the same this year. Doesn't mean we can't enjoy a little late season schadenfreude at the same time.

IMO a lot of this season will depend on our internal defensive line. With our current situation any hardcore running game will take its toll on us. I don’t see any consistency in stopping a good offensive line with a good back. We need a transfer or even two.

I’m predicting a 7-4 season or a 6-6 season depending how Griz cat goes.
As far as the cats I’m going to say 8-4 or 7-5 depending how Griz cat goes.

Go Griz!

bigkid said:
IMO a lot of this season will depend on our internal defensive line. With our current situation any hardcore running game will take its toll on us. I don’t see any consistency in stopping a good offensive line with a good back. We need a transfer or even two.

Go Griz!

D-line, with Brint's assessment from another thread pasted at bottom:

I don't have any great insight on the d-line, but Gubner is big and mobile (or at least athletic), and I think he will become a star. Don't know how good he can be this fall, but I feel good about him. Sims is very good. I'm fine with the edge guys who played last fall. Assume they will be healthy and better. I wouldn't count out Vika. I have always liked his play, and I noticed that he looks bigger and has huge legs. He must be lifting hard. I haven't watched Grossman. While I don't know how good Mamula is and when he'll be able to contribute, he expects to be good-to-go full speed soon and has been lifting.

Defensive Line - I know this group lost some beef with Shaw and it's vocal guy with Tilleman. I'm not really sure where these guys are at, honestly. Seems like Gubner and Alford will be the big body guys, Sims we know is a stud - but hasn't flashed much in terms of stats. The buck/edge is a black hole, IMO. Nagler and Nelson - last years main guys at the spot haven't practiced much, if at all. Grossman started with the 1s and is clearly one hell of an athlete that looks the part, but I need to see much more of him to play the part, seems to still be something he's figuring out. Vika... maybe? He seems to be a good fit, but I want to see him make plays against the 1st team OL before I can figure out if he can be someone that could make a splash this fall."

BWahlberg said:
Honestly I expect this team to do better out of the simple sake that they didn't graduate much, no changes in coaching staff, there's more experience, and better depth. Yeah there's concerns in many spots, I'm not ignoring that.

Additionally it seems that as of lately, some of the top teams in the Big Sky usually fall flat the next year. I would assume that because of the way the teams have been built and coached that Weber and EWU would avoid that fate. ISU and UCD we'll have to see. In theory they should be good again, but we've seen teams like UND, SUU, and PSU go from good to awful in a single season.

Looking at the Griz schedule it's tough to really gauge at this point. One would think that they should go 3-1 in OOC, but nothings a given, both Monmouth and N. Alabama had good records, despite weaker overall schedules. USD is in the toughest football conference in the FCS.

In-conference if things generally stay constant;

- Sac, PSU, Idaho the Griz should be favored to win.
- ISU at home Griz should be favored slightly or a toss-up.
- MSU, WSU, EWU, UCD would presumably all be favored

So straight chalk you're at 7-5.

One could go either way here, if the Griz can steal 1 or 2 from the 4 games where they aren't favored then they're in great shape. On the other hand, they could also drop a game they should win, like one of those OOC games or a road game (@PSU).

Keep in mind that with exception to 1 game, the Griz lead in the 4th quarter of every loss. Additionally as has been pointed out, those losses usually hinged on one moment or series that could have tipped it the other way. I think a lot of this is due to the youth and thin ranks of the team, many of which return with more experience and as generally better players. I also like that ISU, EWU, and Weber at here in Missoula.

If I were to put a range on the amount of wins right now I'd say 7 or 8. I think I could talk myself in to 9 wins... but that would require some more pieces to come together with the progression of this team and presumably a few expected tough matchups on our schedule to totally fall apart.

There are two games I differ with what you're saying, but otherwise, I agree with your analysis.

-Idaho State the Griz should be favored. ISU had an identical conference record to Montana last year, but they lost their starting QB. Right now they have a senior transfer from University of Idaho (Gunnar Amos) as the projected starter, and in his limited playing time he has not looked great, never mind that he transferred out of Idaho because he didn't look to have a future at QB (not accusing my Vandals of being great at assessing talent though).

-Montana State should be a tossup. MSU has more of a feel-good-vibe to them because of the win at Montana and the first round playoff win, but they don't know who their QB is going to be, and if Montana doesn't fumble and the Griz take that last playoff spot, the perceived momentum between the Cats and the Griz shifts. MSU should still be solid, no question, but I think they're about even with Montana right now.

Overall, if we're dividing the Big Sky into projected tiers, EWU, UC-D, and Weber should all be tier 1, Montana State and Montana tier 2. I'm optimistic the Griz make some improvements over last year, but the schedule is tougher, and finishing slightly ahead of last year's win total should be viewed as a significant step forward.

PlayerRep said:
bigkid said:

Go Griz!

I don't have any great insight on the d-line, but Gubner is big and mobile (or at least athletic), and I think he will become a star. Don't know how good he can be this fall, but I feel good about him. Sims is very good. I'm fine with the edge guys who played last fall. Assume they will be healthy and better. I wouldn't count out Vika. I have always liked his play, and I noticed that he looks bigger and has huge legs. He must be lifting hard. I haven't watched Grossman. While I don't know how good Mamula is and when he'll be able to contribute, he expects to be good-to-go full speed soon and has been lifting.

Defensive Line - I know this group lost some beef with Shaw and it's vocal guy with Tilleman. I'm not really sure where these guys are at, honestly. Seems like Gubner and Alford will be the big body guys, Sims we know is a stud - but hasn't flashed much in terms of stats. The buck/edge is a black hole, IMO. Nagler and Nelson - last years main guys at the spot haven't practiced much, if at all. Grossman started with the 1s and is clearly one hell of an athlete that looks the part, but I need to see much more of him to play the part, seems to still be something he's figuring out. Vika... maybe? He seems to be a good fit, but I want to see him make plays against the 1st team OL before I can figure out if he can be someone that could make a splash this fall."

Man, there's a whole lotta "I don't know", and "I assume" and "maybe" in that post. :? :? And that's not an attack on you, PR, that's just the reality of the situation...

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
Silenoz said:

Cat fans could learn an important lesson from the 2018-2019 Tampa Bay Lightning.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
bigkid said:

Go Griz!

Man, there's a whole lotta "I don't know", and "I assume" and "maybe" in that post. :? :? And that's not an attack on you, PR, that's just the reality of the situation...
This is why I feel like the true freshman from Cheney has a chance to play early. The Oregon kid too

horribilisfan8184 said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:

Cat fans could learn an important lesson from the 2018-2019 Tampa Bay Lightning.

Did I miss the kittens going undefeated and losing in the 1st round?

WaGriz4life said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
bigkid said:

Go Griz!

This is why I feel like the true freshman from Cheney has a chance to play early. The Oregon kid too

I’m still surprised Longoria hasn’t moved back over to DT, atleast for just the depth alone. I haven’t heard much of him doing great on the O line. Coaches know best though and I’m certainly in no position to question their judgment from my sofa.

so I Bobby said he is going to meeting with kids this week and it is hump day. I wonder how those meetings have gone/going, must not be any surprises yet? Regardless Griz will be no less than 8-4 and more likely 9-3.

PlayerRep said:
bigkid said:

Go Griz!

Has Brayden Demming not been practicing?

alabamagrizzly said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

No, just the overconfidence or "pride goeth before the fall" implications

horribilisfan8184 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
poorgriz said:

No, just the overconfidence or "pride goeth before the fall" implications

You just watch your MOUTH mister...You are talking about the reigning Pre-Season Champs 30 years running.

horribilisfan8184 said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:

Griz fans could learn an important lesson from the last 3 losses to the Cats....

Bear Spray said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

Griz fans could learn an important lesson from the last 3 losses to the Cats....

Yes like we still have 13 in a row left before I get nervous! 😂😂

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
Silenoz said:

The C.A.T.S. might have a winning season but that’ll be more a function of their record than a reflection of their team. They reached their high water mark and instead of “trending,” 2019’s word of the year will be “receding.” Seems like they lost some key guys and, as much as I hate to admit it, nannycamgate resulted in a downgrade at DC.
Plus, they finally find the best QB at this level suited for that O—a kid who literally wins BSC awards at the position and breaks school records—and they want to move him to some other position. Their O will go back to a donkey show trying to look classy. I swear you fucking Cat People are masochistic.

HookedonGriz said:
Bear Spray said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
poorgriz said:

Wow, you won't be nervous until the cats win 16 in a row?

indian-outlaw said:
HookedonGriz said:
Bear Spray said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

Wow, you won't be nervous until the cats win 16 in a row?

Had the same thought. You would think Griz fans would be super humble at this point, losing 3 in a row to “lil bro”, which will be 4 in a row after this season.

Back