• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring Game Thread:

grizindabox said:
BillingsMafia said:
I watched the scrimmage, Harris made some very nice throws, Graves did not. It was black and white. I left wondering why Graves is getting all this QB work, he isn't a qb. Harris on the other hand is.

For one, I don't think the coaches base things off of 3 throws in the Spring scrimmage...but I could be wrong.

Have you personally talked with any players on the down low about his ability at QB? Didn't think so

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
BillingsMafia said:
I watched the scrimmage, Harris made some very nice throws, Graves did not. It was black and white. I left wondering why Graves is getting all this QB work, he isn't a qb. Harris on the other hand is.

For one, I don't think the coaches base things off of 3 throws in the Spring scrimmage...but I could be wrong.

I agree, but coaches do like to see how players perform in live action, like a spring scrimmage, as well as in games. More pressure to perform in those situations. Limited data, but what's not to like about 2 TD's for his team in 2 possessions, set up or accomplished by 2 longer pass plays? As has been noted, the TD pass was perfectly thrown and hit the receiver in stride.

How would you rate Graves in the scrimmage?

Less than ideal, but I agree with Brint that they really want him to be the #3 guy. My take, if the Griz have to rely on either this season, it won't be good.

There probably isn’t a team in the country that will feel good about having to rely on their 3rd or 4th string QB but for what it’s worth, Stitt won with a 4th string QB vs a 2nd string QB.

alabamagrizzly said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

I agree, but coaches do like to see how players perform in live action, like a spring scrimmage, as well as in games. More pressure to perform in those situations. Limited data, but what's not to like about 2 TD's for his team in 2 possessions, set up or accomplished by 2 longer pass plays? As has been noted, the TD pass was perfectly thrown and hit the receiver in stride.

Less than ideal, but I agree with Brint that they really want him to be the #3 guy. My take, if the Griz have to rely on either this season, it won't be good.

There probably isn’t a team in the country that will feel good about having to rely on their 3rd or 4th string QB but for what it’s worth, Stitt won with a 4th string QB vs a 2nd string QB.

Bobby lost with handpicked transfer starter against a linebacker playing QB

Ursus1 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:

Bobby lost with handpicked transfer starter against a linebacker playing QB

See, that just proves that anything’s possible.

bgbigdog said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

So we’re hoping this year turns into a mulligan for the backups? & somehow they just get exponentially better next season when Dalton rides off into the sunset. If they aren’t good enough now, I’d find it really tough to believe a season of watching Sneed from the sidelines is going to be all they need to get ready to take the reins. That’s a poor bet.

So I’m guessing you’ve never heard of player development and you must think every eventual starter was that good straight out of high school?

alabamagrizzly said:
bgbigdog said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:

So we’re hoping this year turns into a mulligan for the backups? & somehow they just get exponentially better next season when Dalton rides off into the sunset. If they aren’t good enough now, I’d find it really tough to believe a season of watching Sneed from the sidelines is going to be all they need to get ready to take the reins. That’s a poor bet.

So I’m guessing you’ve never heard of player development and you must think every eventual starter was that good straight out of high school?

I’ve heard we’ve got a JC lined up for next year. A player Bobby was recruiting to SDSU that fell through and went the JC route.

Ursus1 said:
grizindabox said:
BillingsMafia said:

Have you personally talked with any players on the down low about his ability at QB? Didn't think so

"down low" sounds so creepy.

getgrizzy said:
alabamagrizzly said:
bgbigdog said:
grizindabox said:

I’ve heard we’ve got a JC lined up for next year. A player Bobby was recruiting to SDSU that fell through and went the JC route.

That would certainly be Bobby’s move.

I am if the belief that you (1) recruit the best guys you can find out if HS, which I think means they’re really good to great, (2) they’ll compete their asses off & believe they should be the starter and (3) will be ready to produce when they’re called upon.

Last year was a total anomaly in that Sneed lasted the season without a major injury despite taking a bad beating over the course of it. Not sure that happens again so the backups need to be ready. That goes for all the positions.

bgbigdog said:
Last year was a total anomaly in that Sneed lasted the season without a major injury despite taking a bad beating over the course of it. Not sure that happens again so the backups need to be ready. That goes for all the positions.

True, but how many teams are successful if they are down to #3/4 on the depth chart?

Not there on the spot, so do not have much in the way of eyeball views ... except on the infrequent YouTube (etc.) posts.

But reading a wide range of comments here and on other threads ... I'm getting a weird feeling. I know I've said this before in various threads, but no one has really commented.

We seem to be seeing a lot of work with the two and threes, and mostly token appearances by the supposed ones. Is that accurate?

If so, one can draw two conclusions (one good, one scary): The scary interpretation is that the staff thinks the ones are the best out there, but they ain't that great. Without writing off the year, they're pushing the subs ... hoping some will step up and be good.
On the good side, maybe they think the ones are pretty damn good -- good enough to win a bunch of games if they stay healthy. So their goal is to build depth to be ready when the usual injuries happen.

Any thoughts?

IdaGriz01 said:
Not there on the spot, so do not have much in the way of eyeball views ... except on the infrequent YouTube (etc.) posts.

But reading a wide range of comments here and on other threads ... I'm getting a weird feeling. I know I've said this before in various threads, but no one has really commented.

We seem to be seeing a lot of work with the two and threes, and mostly token appearances by the supposed ones. Is that accurate?

If so, one can draw two conclusions (one good, one scary): The scary interpretation is that the staff thinks the ones are the best out there, but they ain't that great. Without writing off the year, they're pushing the subs ... hoping some will step up and be good.
On the good side, maybe they think the ones are pretty damn good -- good enough to win a bunch of games if they stay healthy. So their goal is to build depth to be ready when the usual injuries happen.

Any thoughts?

I think it's the latter. Hard to imagine, with the talent returning (especially on the offensive side of the ball) that the one's aren't the best we have...

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Any thoughts?
I think it's the latter. Hard to imagine, with the talent returning (especially on the offensive side of the ball) that the one's aren't the best we have...
Well, that does not quite address my point. I totally agree that the ones are the best guys available. My question is: Are the coaches pushing the twos and threes because the best (the ones) aren't good enough to win a lot of games, or because they're really good and the team needs to build depth for a deep run?

IdaGriz01 said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Any thoughts?
Well, that does not quite address my point. I totally agree that the ones are the best guys available. My question is: Are the coaches pushing the twos and threes because the best (the ones) aren't good enough to win a lot of games, or because they're really good and the team needs to build depth for a deep run?

My GUESS is trying to reduce chances of injuries for 1's, not putting already injured bodies through more wear and tear (yes some 1s are not 100% and won't be due to not having some surgeries during offseason) , trying to see who gets shown the door in the next few weeks, getting newer guys reps with playbook since last fall many were just scout team thus not even running a lot of the system and trying to figure out who can maybe be solid backups.

Ursus1 said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Any thoughts?

My GUESS is trying to reduce chances of injuries for 1's, not putting already injured bodies through more wear and tear (yes some 1s are not 100% and won't be due to not having some surgeries during offseason) , trying to see who gets shown the door in the next few weeks, getting newer guys reps with playbook since last fall many were just scout team thus not even running a lot of the system and trying to figure out who can maybe be solid backups.

I mentioned this at the end of last year about the team. When Bobby was here before he relied on lots of depth and substitution, especially on defense. We didn't have near enough depth last year, ahead in nearly all of our games to start the 4th quarter, then wore down.
As I've watched this spring, it's seems to me that most of the starters (minus a couple) are playing lots of snaps, feel like Bobby is trying to add depth to fix the big problem last year. On defense they are rotating lots of players in the scrimmages.

PlayerRep said:
Paytonlives said:
pussycatkillerz said:
Knight is gonna be good and Akem could be in store for a superstar season.

Would be nice to see a RB that can run away from the Defense

Knight.

See his early long run to 1 or so and td run to corner late in game.

Ya, Knight did run away from the defense. Great explosiveness. Looked like he reached into the end zone too. Refs may have missed that one.

Back