• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Where will Graves be used?

I find Graves to be a mystery. I keep wondering if they see him as a potential special package/wild cat contributor this year, with potential for the future. He's a very good athlete and very good and tough runner. But if he does have starting potential at other positions, it seems that his best use might be there. Maybe he mainly has potential at other positions now. The Griz seem have good rb depth, but it sure seems that Graves could get into that mix.

Harris doesn't and hasn't gotten the reps. He didn't have the playbook until he arrived at the start of fall practice last year. Assume he didn't get many reps in fall practice or during the fall season. He has always thrown a very nice ball when I have seen him, and seems to have a strong arm. Don't know how he reads defenses or how accurate he is, as I've most seen him throwing 1 on 1 or 7 on 7. He's tall, but he's not athletic like Sneed and Graves, and perhaps not Humphrey. He too is a bit of a mystery, but he sure had several good throws and guided his team to two quick TD's at the end of the scrimmage. I wonder if Hauck, Rosie and Pease know how to evaluate qb talent (obviously, a joke).

PlayerRep said:
I find Graves to be a mystery. I keep wondering if they see him as a potential special package/wild cat contributor this year, with potential for the future. He's a very good athlete and very good and tough runner. But if he does have starting potential at other positions, it seems that his best use might be there. Maybe he mainly has potential at other positions now. The Griz seem have good rb depth, but it sure seems that Graves could get into that mix.

Harris doesn't and hasn't gotten the reps. He didn't have the playbook until he arrived at the start of fall practice last year. Assume he didn't get many reps in fall practice or during the fall season. He has always thrown a very nice ball when I have seen him, and seems to have a strong arm. Don't know how he reads defenses or how accurate he is, as I've most seen him throwing 1 on 1 or 7 on 7. He's tall, but he's not athletic like Sneed and Graves, and perhaps not Humphrey. He too is a bit of a mystery, but he sure had several good throws and guided his team to two quick TD's at the end of the scrimmage. I wonder if Hauck, Rosie and Pease know how to evaluate qb talent (obviously, a joke).

Great points. I was not impressed at all with Graves at QB during the scrimmage, but he's a heck of an athlete and hopefully they find a spot on the field somewhere for him. I'd like to see more from Harris. Too small of a sample for me to really say one way or another but it was fun watching him get the silver team a couple quick scores.

Really have no idea, but it makes sense to have a QB on the roster that offers a different skill set. In the unfortunate event Sneed goes down and the backup isn't producing, they might feel they can coordinate an offense around Graves utilizing his athleticism that might get us by for a couple games.

Regardless, I'm assuming that a professional coaching staff who is constantly evaluating their personnel will be making better decisions on how to utilize Graves than fans would.

Sam A. Blitz said:
Really have no idea, but it makes sense to have a QB on the roster that offers a different skill set. In the unfortunate event Sneed goes down and the backup isn't producing, they might feel they can coordinate an offense around Graves utilizing his athleticism that might get us by for a couple games.

Regardless, I'm assuming that a professional coaching staff who is constantly evaluating their personnel will be making better decisions on how to utilize Graves than fans would.

Sam-I-Am, you speak wisdom. Griz history bears this out. I will drop two names, and let memories, or Google, go from there: Makena Simis, and Kyle Samson.

'Jack' Simis, or 'Jack' Samson got the job done. Idawho would probably have preferred to not face 'Jack.' The other 'Jack' tied the QB record for touchdowns in a single game(6). Jack of all trades is also Jack the Giant Killer.

...yeah not sure about Graves at QB..he appears to be a versatile athlete like Troy A..maybe LB position my
suit him better...he could put some additional muscle on and be a good one..tough QB's make good LB because
they can read the offense..will see?

Sam A. Blitz said:
...I'm assuming that a professional coaching staff who is constantly evaluating their personnel will be making better decisions on how to utilize Graves than fans would.

You serious? This is egriz.com, right? You're goin' ta drive me to drinkin.'

WyomingGrizFan said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
...I'm assuming that a professional coaching staff who is constantly evaluating their personnel will be making better decisions on how to utilize Graves than fans would.

You serious? This is egriz.com, right? You're goin' ta drive me to drinkin.'

I imagine driving you to drinking is a lot like driving a fish to water.

nice for him to have options. Back up Quarter Back or some type of hybrid position at times in the slot might work. Running Back makes no sense. We have really good new talent at Running Back that looks to be solid. Trust the process.

Griz2k said:
PlayerRep said:

Great points. I was not impressed at all with Graves at QB during the scrimmage, but he's a heck of an athlete and hopefully they find a spot on the field somewhere for him. I'd like to see more from Harris. Too small of a sample for me to really say one way or another but it was fun watching him get the silver team a couple quick scores.

I agree with both of these points. As a QB, Graves is a great athlete, and he would suffice if necessary, but I was not dazzled by his passing. We have an amazing receiving corp, and anyone should do well throwing to the talent corp, but he might be able to be more useful elsewhere. Where? I am not exactly sure, but our RB corp is definately less impressive than our WR corp. He might be forced into RB duty unless we get a better transfer. We might have the least impressive Rb-corp right now that I can remember in a long time if Adam Eastwood is our workhorse.

Zirg said:
He might be forced into RB duty unless we get a better transfer. We might have the least impressive Rb-corp right now that I can remember in a long time if Adam Eastwood is our workhorse.
We have an impressive transfer in Marcus Knight. I suspect he and an improved Eastwood will share the RB work and with an improving OL, our running game should be better and not have to rely heavily on Sneed.

kemajic said:
Zirg said:
He might be forced into RB duty unless we get a better transfer. We might have the least impressive Rb-corp right now that I can remember in a long time if Adam Eastwood is our workhorse.
We have an impressive transfer in Marcus Knight. I suspect he and an improved Eastwood will share the RB work and with an improving OL, our running game should be better and not have to rely heavily on Sneed.

I've seen Knight, and he may well be better than Eastwood, but I wasn't overly-impressed with him either. I still contend that this is potentially the worst RB collection in 20? some years unless someone else comes in.

kemajic said:
Zirg said:

He has some impressive numbers but he also fumbled 4 times last year in 130 carries last year. Yikes!

Zirg said:
kemajic said:
Zirg said:

He has some impressive numbers but he also fumbled 4 times last year in 130 carries last year. Yikes!

Hauck and Green weren't his coaches last year. Do you think they would recruit a persistent fumbler?

I think that having 4 RB's that all could contribute is a good thing especially with one of them being able to run a wildcat play, bet Bobby likes that idea.

Back