• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring Game Thread:

alabamagrizzly said:
Not sure if it’s beeen mentioned in this thread but Harris looked legit.

Who's Harris?

My son had his spring fraternity party at some lake in northern Alabama this weekend. Do you live in Alabama?

PlayerRep said:
Missoula223 said:
PlayerRep said:
Missoula223 said:
Haha absolutely it is, and they tend to be caught at 10 yards but this one was caught at 13. If I can post a video of the film, I will. What do you think the route was?

Someone earlier mentioned it was on the deep ball, and I took that it was the fade thrown on the away sideline.

You keep coming back to the 1 throw but have yet to meet any of my other points? I said it was a good throw? But again, where has he been all spring? Has the defense been that bad all spring that OP is right in his questioning of them?

I assume the reason you got goofed up by the description of the throw down the middle is because you are the only one who thinks it was a short pass. Others seem to agree that it was a longer throw. Also, some of us were at the scrimmage, so we could see how Harris looked right, and then came back to the middle with the throw. Sure, give us a video. Maybe all of us are wrong.

By the way, I'm not sure I'd call the other throw to 2, a fade. Didn't seem like a fade to me.

Don't know why I should be answering your questions. I merely supplied Harris' scrimmage stats and agree with multiple posters that his thrown down the middle was nice. The bigger question is why, when Harris' stats were provided and several said he'd had a nice throw, that you started undercutting him. Seemed odd to me. Nobody said Harris should be the starter or is wonderful.

Both defense and offense have looked pretty good in the practices I've attended. Defense has had some guys hurt. I could see a transfer corner showing up later.

Questions for you. Were you at the scrimmage? Assume you weren't. Were you at any practices this spring? I was. Harris was busy working to learn the offense and improve, and making a lot of nice throws. He has a nice arm. Hauck told me that, by the way, but I've observed it too. Harris' grandfather played qb for Western Michigan (or Eastern) and then a bit at Michigan. I don't know if Harris will progress into a top qb, but is is clear that he has a nice arm and throws a nice-looking ball.

I never said it was short. I said it was a slant. Which are usually caught at 10 but with a faster receiver can be caught later in the route, up to 20 yards even depending on the trajectory of the throw. You keep circling back to that, but I have said it was a good throw so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make?

I said in one of my previous statements, that OP was making statements that I felt were premature, including Harris looking legit, and also that the defense had a long way to go, so I provided counter points. Which again, did no one else notice why the defense never pressured other than 3rd and short?

I was at the scrimmage, and have been at every practice. Harris rarely, rarely takes reps. And when he does, who is he playing against? He completed the "slant" or whatever you want to call it to Toure who was being guarded by Jalen Hemphill (walk on also not as good as brother Kadeem Hemphill). And the ball down the far sideline was definitely a fade over walk on corner Nick Fouch, you're crazy if you think otherwise. What is Hauck supposed to say about Harris? Of course he is going to say good things. As much as this has turned into me bad mouthing Harris, I don't think he's a bad player. But based on the scrimmage it's too soon to be all over his nuts like everyone on the Forum.

If you were at every practice, then you have to be associated with the UM program. I find it highly inappropriate for you to be posting what you have on egriz. I see that you said last year that you were at the MT state hoops tourney.

Hauck volunteered what he said about Harris' arm. He didn't have to say anything, but he did.

If you have been at every practice, then what do you think of his arm? No one who has watched him throw can say that he doesn't have a good arm, in my view.

I know about the receivers and d-backs in coverage on these plays. I would ask you a question or two. Why didn't the receivers make catches this long and TD's, and why didn't the d-backs give up long passes and TD's, on more plays, instead of just doing what they did on the throws made by Harris. If Harris is so bad, why didn't the other qb's do better. Why aren't you undercutting Sneed by pointing out this his TD was a shorter catch and fun?

Not associated with the program, just an old fan, but I do appreciate you trying to undercut my credibility, by bringing up the fact that I was at a basketball tournament.

Still have yet to bag on Harris or even his arm for that matter, just don't think it's time to jump on his train after 3 throws in a scrimmage, which I have stated already. Last stringers got in late, just like Harris. Original poster didn't mention Sneed, not sure why he's being brought up?

PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Who's Harris?

My son had his spring fraternity party at some lake in northern Alabama this weekend. Do you live in Alabama?

I do, northern Alabama as a matter of fact. There’s s couple nice lakes here. He’s probably at Smith lake which has a little more “fun” stuff to do. Lake Guntersville is another biggie. There’s Wheeler Lake in the area also(no relation to that Harris fella). Of course non of them hold a candle to Flathead but that’s just my personal opinion.

I watched the scrimmage, Harris made some very nice throws, Graves did not. It was black and white. I left wondering why Graves is getting all this QB work, he isn't a qb. Harris on the other hand is.

PlayerRep said:
Paytonlives said:
https://twitter.com/FrankGogola/status/1117183582110269440

I think he’s NFL bound.

I agree. Only nitpick is that he seems to be a body catcher rather than a guy who snatches everything with his hands. Hope to see him keep working on that. He's got an insane catch radius with like a 7' wingspan and massive hands. LOVE his character, intelligence and work ethic.

Any way to early predictions on how high he could go in the draft PR? He's got all the potential in the world.

StumptownGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Paytonlives said:

I think he’s NFL bound.

I agree. Only nitpick is that he seems to be a body catcher rather than a guy who snatches everything with his hands. Hope to see him keep working on that. He's got an insane catch radius with like a 7' wingspan and massive hands. LOVE his character, intelligence and work ethic.

Any way to early predictions on how high he could go in the draft PR? He's got all the potential in the world.

I think you’re thinikg of his freshman year when he did more of that. This last season the dude had insane hands. He made some incredible high point grabs and some diving grabs across the middle bailing out his QBs bad throws quite a bit. I think he has improved his catching abilities 10 fold from freshman year.

HookedonGriz said:
StumptownGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Paytonlives said:

I think he’s NFL bound.

I think you’re thinikg of his freshman year when he did more of that. This last season the dude had insane hands. He made some incredible high point grabs and some diving grabs across the middle bailing out his QBs bad throws quite a bit. I think he has improved his catching abilities 10 fold from freshman year.

I agree with you, he's come a long way and will come further with his work ethic and coachablility which is scary. I expect to see continued improvement this year and next. Like I said just nitpicking.

StumptownGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Paytonlives said:

I think he’s NFL bound.

I have no clue where he would rank. It just occurred to me that with his huge progress last year, and more advancement this year, combined with his size, speed, ability to get separation and multiple terrific catches, that he's probably on the NFL radar or will be. I will watch for the body catching stuff, as I hadn't noticed or recalled that.

PlayerRep said:
StumptownGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Paytonlives said:

I think he’s NFL bound.

I have no clue where he would rank. It just occurred to me that with his huge progress last year, and more advancement this year, combined with his size, speed, ability to get separation and multiple terrific catches, that he's probably on the NFL radar or will be. I will watch for the body catching stuff, as I hadn't noticed or recalled that.

Probably didn’t notice because he really didn’t do it. As far as I can remember he was all hands. That’s why he came down with so many great catches.

alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Who's Harris?

I do, northern Alabama as a matter of fact. There’s s couple nice lakes here. He’s probably at Smith lake which has a little more “fun” stuff to do. Lake Guntersville is another biggie. There’s Wheeler Lake in the area also(no relation to that Harris fella). Of course non of them hold a candle to Flathead but that’s just my personal opinion.

It was Lake Guntersville.

PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Who's Harris?

It was Lake Guntersville.

Guntersville is nice too. If he’s in town still, tell him to go to the Top of the River. It’s a nice restaurant to check out. The Cathedral Caverns is a cool outdoor thing to do too, amongst some other places in the area.

BillingsMafia said:
I watched the scrimmage, Harris made some very nice throws, Graves did not. It was black and white. I left wondering why Graves is getting all this QB work, he isn't a qb. Harris on the other hand is.

For one, I don't think the coaches base things off of 3 throws in the Spring scrimmage...but I could be wrong.

PlayerRep said:
StumptownGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Paytonlives said:

I think he’s NFL bound.

I think we should strongly consider converting him to corner. :| :|

grizindabox said:
BillingsMafia said:

For one, I don't think the coaches base things off of 3 throws in the Spring scrimmage...but I could be wrong.

I agree, but coaches do like to see how players perform in live action, like a spring scrimmage, as well as in games. More pressure to perform in those situations. Limited data, but what's not to like about 2 TD's for his team in 2 possessions, set up or accomplished by 2 longer pass plays? As has been noted, the TD pass was perfectly thrown and hit the receiver in stride.

How would you rate Graves in the scrimmage?

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
Not sure if you're serious ... or making some kind of odd joke.

But, in reality, converting him to corner might just improve his NFL chances. (I hear loud screams.)

But here's why that makes a kind of perverted sense. Realistically, the NFL seems to view wide receivers as being "a dime a dozen" during many draft years. Except for the really outstanding talents, they seldom go all that high in the draft. And those are almost invariably from the power conferences. On the other hand, teams are always looking for corners, especially the proverbial “lockdown corner.”

Last year, NFL teams drafted 33 wide receivers. Most were from power-five conferences and only two were from FCS (Penn and Northern Iowa). The highest pick was #24 and their average draft number was 150.

In that same draft, teams took 29 corners. Again, most were from power-five conferences … but five came from FCS teams (Weber, Illinois State, Jacksonville State, Central Arkansas, and Western Carolina). The highest pick was #4 and their average draft number was 108.

Now, whether or not such a change would be best for the team is another question. And whether or not he’d be happy trying to make a change is yet another puzzle.

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
BillingsMafia said:

I agree, but coaches do like to see how players perform in live action, like a spring scrimmage, as well as in games. More pressure to perform in those situations. Limited data, but what's not to like about 2 TD's for his team in 2 possessions, set up or accomplished by 2 longer pass plays? As has been noted, the TD pass was perfectly thrown and hit the receiver in stride.

Less than ideal, but I agree with Brint that they really want him to be the #3 guy. My take, if the Griz have to rely on either this season, it won't be good.

IdaGriz01 said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
Not sure if you're serious ... or making some kind of odd joke.

But, in reality, converting him to corner might just improve his NFL chances. (I hear loud screams.)

But here's why that makes a kind of perverted sense. Realistically, the NFL seems to view wide receivers as being "a dime a dozen" during many draft years. Except for the really outstanding talents, they seldom go all that high in the draft. And those are almost invariably from the power conferences. On the other hand, teams are always looking for corners, especially the proverbial “lockdown corner.”

Last year, NFL teams drafted 33 wide receivers. Most were from power-five conferences and only two were from FCS (Penn and Northern Iowa). The highest pick was #24 and their average draft number was 150.

In that same draft, teams took 29 corners. Again, most were from power-five conferences … but five came from FCS teams (Weber, Illinois State, Jacksonville State, Central Arkansas, and Western Carolina). The highest pick was #4 and their average draft number was 108.

Now, whether or not such a change would be best for the team is another question. And whether or not he’d be happy trying to make a change is yet another puzzle.

Thanks for the analysis. Interesting.

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
BillingsMafia said:

Less than ideal, but I agree with Brint that they really want him to be the #3 guy. My take, if the Griz have to rely on either this season, it won't be good.

So we’re hoping this year turns into a mulligan for the backups? & somehow they just get exponentially better next season when Dalton rides off into the sunset. If they aren’t good enough now, I’d find it really tough to believe a season of watching Sneed from the sidelines is going to be all they need to get ready to take the reins. That’s a poor bet.

Back