• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2nd scrimmage wrap

BWahlberg

DONOR
There's some good comments going in the Scrimmage #2 thread. Was going to add some takeaways.

This scrimmage was largely one (that seemed to me) as something to test and push individual guys more than to work on total team / defense / offense install stuff. I could be wrong there, but everything seemed generally basic in its approach but more built on seeing what key backups and rising players could do.

We saw Sneed for just the 7 on 7 and the first series where he promptly tossed a TD to a wide open JLM on what had to be a blown coverage. From there Cam Humphrey ran with the 1s, and Graves and Harris split with the 2s/3s.

The offense had little bursts but it largely was disjointed and unable to steadily move the ball. The defensive units and special teams squads again "won" the day. We had a few more forced fumbles, a few picks, and both the defense and ST had a scoop and score TD.

Upon reflection too they were either choosing rest guys, test backups, or we've got some that are out with injuries as many spots didn't have their expected starters in there. Gavin Robertson I don't think was out there, neither Olson or Lewis were I don't think. Nagler was out. O-line 1st team seemed to be intact, 2nd team was a mix and match again.

What I largely saw was some guys that are making a case to either start, or be heavy contributors, and this carried over from the first scrimmage.

Josh Egbo - I think Egbo is a starter as of right now, tough to tell if this is Bobby mind game to test Nash and/or Calhoun but Josh is making the most of his time. Multiple pass breakups that ended drives. He had a forced fumble in the first scrimmage.

Kadeem Hemphill - This guy had a good first scrimmage, a quiet start to the 2nd but ended it playing out of his mind, with two hard hits jarring out would-be catches, a pass breakup, and then a tipped pass that was picked. He's with the 2nd team right now, and playing well.

Eli Alford - One of our bigs actually sacked Graves when Graves in a full contact jersey. He's making me feel better that the new big dudes on the interior DL will be ready for this season.

Nash Fouch - RS Frosh safety, making the biggest moves of the spring in the safety group. He's been given a lot of looks with the 1s while some guys have been out and had made the most of it. He's got good size and had a scrimmage-ending interception yesterday. Him and Michael McGinnis have been rotating 1st team reps while Robertson is out.

Garrett Graves - I think he's our running back. Got a few looks there yesterday, didn't do too much with it, but I think he's got the best blend of power, speed, and athleticism of the group. It was a quiet day for most running backs, but I really like what I've seen from Graves when running.

Malik Flowers - Incredible contested catch yesterday. Flowers is coming along, he's going to be a role player and an ST guy again (I assume) but is showing up more and more in scrimmages as a WR now too. Watch for him in the years to come.

Brandon Purdy - I could be wrong but I've only seen Purdy and Peppinger kick. Based on accuracy, Purdy is well ahead there and I would think has the job locked down.

Lorenzo Brown - had a nice sack in the scrimmage. Brown has been a bit of a fascinating guy to watch in his young Grizzly career so far. He looks much leaner and stronger this year, but in individual drills he gets swallowed up by lineman way too easily, too often. But then in scrimmages the gamer comes out and he makes some plays.

Alex Gubner - Gubner has put together two strong scrimmages. Another big guy at almost 300 pounds, he has a hell of a motor for a guy his size. Had a TFL and I think forced a Jancaro fumble, but I could be wrong on that one.

Patrick O'Connell - With the staff resting Lewis and Olson O'Connell had himself a day with a few stops and a strip-sack and a scoop and score all on the same play. The younger LB corps of him, Welnel, Matthews, Flink, and others impress me. I lean to the thought that most of these guys aren't ready to be pressed into a starting role yet, maybe Welnel if needed, but they're all on a nice upward trajectory for the years ahead.

------------

A few other observations from yesterday:

- Cam Humphrey looked better than he has before, but still has some major consistency issues. He's rounding into a serviceable backup this year, but I've been wanting to see him push Sneed or show he'll be ready for the job in 2020, haven't seen that yet. And Graves and Harris behind him sure don't look the part to be starting QBs for this team.

- Sammy Akem continued to show he's a damn beast and probably the best overall WR on the team. Multiple big catches, all over the field, and now has quite the swagger to his game. He was the one guy all QBs could constantly connect with. Akem could be in for a record-breaking season.

- Dareon Nash blocked a long Peppenger fieldgoal attempt.

- Kobey Eaton picked off Wheeler Harris on a play. Credit Eaton for sticking with this team. He came here to be a WR for Stitt, converts to CB, has a rough 2018, but is making the most of what he can provide this spring.

- Gabe Sulser had a nice play where he broke 3 tacklers and turned a 5 yard gain into a 15 yard one.

-------

Overall this scrimmage felt like something to really test positions, depth, and give opportunities to younger guys to see if they're ready. Not sure what's in store for the spring scrimmage, could be a mix of what we saw yesterday plus a bit more dynamic football.

Brint I asked this on the other thread and I am curious to know if Dylan Cook played on the offensive line in the scrimmage. He was a pretty good athlete for his size in high school and had pretty good feet. I know learning how to play on the offensive line doesn't happen overnight so was wondering how he was doing. Did you see him at all?

BWahlberg said:
... basic in its approach but more built on seeing what key backups and rising players could do.

... Overall this scrimmage felt like something to really test positions, depth, and give opportunities to younger guys to see if they're ready. Not sure what's in store for the spring scrimmage, could be a mix of what we saw yesterday plus a bit more dynamic football.
Nice job, as usual, Brint. Thanks!

For me. reading this just reinforced the impression I've been getting from comments on various threads over the past few weeks. (It would be nice to be there, but that's not in the cards for us. :( )

I do not think BH and the staff are totally happy with all of the starting lineup (maybe they are, but that's hard to be sure of). But otherwise, I get the feeling they think it's good enough to look at what makes for a successful season -- DEPTH, because injuries are going to happen. And you cannot predict where they'll happen. Guys -- starters and backups -- are going to improve with live action, but you need to be know at every position who can step up right now when the main guy goes down.

That being the case, comments about the lack of readiness for the backup QB(s) so far are a bit unsettling. We know all to well how the starting QB going down can change the trajectory of a whole season.

BWahlberg said:
Garrett Graves - I think he's our running back. Got a few looks there yesterday, didn't do too much with it, but I think he's got the best blend of power, speed, and athleticism of the group. It was a quiet day for most running backs, but I really like what I've seen from Graves when running.
Ahead of Eastwood and Knight?

kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:

They honestly didn't run the ball much at all and true to form with Bobby and company, it was a steady rotation of guys at the spot.

As for my personal belief, I put him over Eastwood and Knight, yes. I've said that since I saw him in the first scrimmage. I believe he's our best guy out of the backfield. He's more of a physical runner than both. Better with ball security than both. From what I've seen gets through blocks quicker and has a better level when doing so. He powers through guys but can also make guys miss in the open field. I would venture that Knight might be a little more quicker/agile than him, but other than that, I think Garrett holds all of the advantages over this group.

Griz1 said:
Brint I asked this on the other thread and I am curious to know if Dylan Cook played on the offensive line in the scrimmage. He was a pretty good athlete for his size in high school and had pretty good feet. I know learning how to play on the offensive line doesn't happen overnight so was wondering how he was doing. Did you see him at all?

He's progressing nice for somebody who has never played OT before. To be honest, I'd put him in over most of the 2's on this team (in fact all but one of them). That's not saying much but he is closer to the top of this group then he is at the bottom.

hubcap said:
Griz1 said:

He's progressing nice for somebody who has never played OT before. To be honest, I'd put him in over most of the 2's on this team (in fact all but one of them). That's not saying much but he is closer to the top of this group then he is at the bottom.

Thanks hubcap. That is encouraging. He is one that I pulling for and I have no connection to him or to his family.

I am under the belief and taking it more of faith that the OL will be better. We have more experience, time in the weight room and numbers. However, I am concerned about running back just don’t think we have that game breaker bell cow. And one of those would greatly improve this offense into something dynamic because we have talent at QB, WR and TE. I had my hopes for Bell but now we won’t have him for Fall I’ll be curious if someone breaks through, Graves seems like an odd fit but if he becomes that guy then so be it. In the So. Utah game he showed a few things. I ultimately think If we stay status quo Knight is intriguing as he is only going to get more comfortable.

dayday said:
I am under the belief and taking it more of faith that the OL will be better. We have more experience, time in the weight room and numbers. However, I am concerned about running back just don’t think we have that game breaker bell cow. And one of those would greatly improve this offense into something dynamic because we have talent at QB, WR and TE. I had my hopes for Bell but now we won’t have him for Fall I’ll be curious if someone breaks through, Graves seems like an odd fit but if he becomes that guy then so be it. In the So. Utah game he showed a few things. I ultimately think If we stay status quo Knight is intriguing as he is only going to get more comfortable.

I wouldn’t doubt they pick up a drop down RB from somewhere close....Utah, Wash St, Wash, OSU, etc. There’s always someone not happy somewhere with their lack of reps and the Griz will have a shot to scoop them.

by PlayerRep » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:26 pm

Knight.

I find a lot of similarities between PR and Annie Savoy (Susan Sarandon's character in Bull Durham). Every year he chooses someone he can have a virtual (hopefully) bromance with. Last year it was with Sneed. This year with Knight. Hopefully Sneed isn't miffed with being second banana this year but I don't think he is missing out on much not being PR's first banana.

sdk.catfish said:
by PlayerRep » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:26 pm

Knight.

I find a lot of similarities between PR and Annie Savoy (Susan Sarandon's character in Bull Durham). Every year he chooses someone he can have a virtual (hopefully) bromance with. Last year it was with Sneed. This year with Knight. Hopefully Sneed isn't miffed with being second banana this year but I don't think he is missing out on much not being PR's first banana.

This from the poster who responds to his own posts. See other thread.

And Sneed was the Griz' best QB and had a great season. I called it early, and I was damn right. Once again.

Thank you Brint! Always wait to hear your summary of every practice, scrimmage and game. Much appreciated!

grizaremoregooder said:
How did Drew Turner look running the ball? I saw him on the highlight tape running up the sidelines.

He ran a little early but didn't much as the day went on, although honestly they didn't run much at all in the scrimmage. He looks taller/bigger than his roster size lists.

BWahlberg said:
kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:

They honestly didn't run the ball much at all and true to form with Bobby and company, it was a steady rotation of guys at the spot.

As for my personal belief, I put him over Eastwood and Knight, yes. I've said that since I saw him in the first scrimmage. I believe he's our best guy out of the backfield. He's more of a physical runner than both. Better with ball security than both. From what I've seen gets through blocks quicker and has a better level when doing so. He powers through guys but can also make guys miss in the open field. I would venture that Knight might be a little more quicker/agile than him, but other than that, I think Garrett holds all of the advantages over this group.

Yes to all of that and I want to add that Graves runs much like the kid from Drummond, what's his name. :D

BW, I agree with you about Graves, but at this point, Nash and Calhoun are still both fairly safe starting at CB. They are going to be pushed hard though!

granitegriz said:
BW, I agree with you about Graves, but at this point, Nash and Calhoun are still both fairly safe starting at CB. They are going to be pushed hard though!

Plus the transfer. Joke. Just kidding.

All the QB's looked great. WR's were great. OL is big and looks stronger and better or even a lot better than last year. By the beginning of the year the OL should be great. The new transfer RB is good or very good or even great.

Back