• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2019 Softball Season thread

HookedonGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
HookedonGriz said:
Well this team is now just 3-13 on the season. Not getting any hopes up that the conference games will go much better. Any way to bring Pinkerton back. This coaching staff is already failing imo.

Come conference schedule, don’t let that 3-13 record fool you. This team is and will be a much better team by then. Pitching, for whatever reason has taken a slide this year. We’ve committed way more errors then years past at this point but a lot of that is on a mostly brand new infield and very little on field practice except for game time due to the beautiful weather in Missoula. The bats are the best they’ve been since our record setting 2016 season. I definitely have higher hopes for this team right now then what I had at the beginning of season. Up until this last weekend at Stanford, we had been in all but two games. Last weekend saw our tuffest competition yet facing three teams who are either ranked nationally or receiving votes and one of them we faced twice. As far as blaming the coaching staff, most of our struggles have come because of our pitching, along with some untimely errors. In years past, our pitching had been our strength and Coach Meuchel has been the pitching coach throughout our program history. Basically what I’m saying hooked is have a little more patience. I believe this team will still surprise you.

I hope so man. I’ll cheer my ass off for them and catch some home games with the kiddos again, but man I gotta think they’ve lost some games they shouldn’t have. I feel like if they were going to make some noise in Conference their record would be a lot better now. Hopefully a lot of young, early, growing pains and it only gets better. I’m a bit nervous.

Have cautious optimism :thumb:

alabamagrizzly said:
HookedonGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
HookedonGriz said:
Well this team is now just 3-13 on the season. Not getting any hopes up that the conference games will go much better. Any way to bring Pinkerton back. This coaching staff is already failing imo.

Come conference schedule, don’t let that 3-13 record fool you. This team is and will be a much better team by then. Pitching, for whatever reason has taken a slide this year. We’ve committed way more errors then years past at this point but a lot of that is on a mostly brand new infield and very little on field practice except for game time due to the beautiful weather in Missoula. The bats are the best they’ve been since our record setting 2016 season. I definitely have higher hopes for this team right now then what I had at the beginning of season. Up until this last weekend at Stanford, we had been in all but two games. Last weekend saw our tuffest competition yet facing three teams who are either ranked nationally or receiving votes and one of them we faced twice. As far as blaming the coaching staff, most of our struggles have come because of our pitching, along with some untimely errors. In years past, our pitching had been our strength and Coach Meuchel has been the pitching coach throughout our program history. Basically what I’m saying hooked is have a little more patience. I believe this team will still surprise you.

I hope so man. I’ll cheer my ass off for them and catch some home games with the kiddos again, but man I gotta think they’ve lost some games they shouldn’t have. I feel like if they were going to make some noise in Conference their record would be a lot better now. Hopefully a lot of young, early, growing pains and it only gets better. I’m a bit nervous.

As of now, Sac St is the only team in the con with a winning record at 8-7 with their signature win against 5-12 UC Riverside. 8-10 Portland St does have a win against Maryland but they’ve also lost to teams that we defeated(Cal Poly). Offensively we’re 2nd in the con in hits and homers and 3rd in runs. Pitching wise, we’re 4th in Era, but showing our Jeckle and Hyde, we’re 1st in k’s and 6th in hits allowed. Something we’re not accustomed to is all the errors we’ve committed. We’re 6th in the league with 30 errors in 20 games. The only team with more is Sac St with 33 in 15 games.

These numbers represent a very broad generalization but they can give some perspective to where we’re at compared to the other teams in league. Like any sport, until we start playing our peers, it’s hard to gauge where we’re at.

alabamagrizzly said:
alabamagrizzly said:
HookedonGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:

As of now, Sac St is the only team in the con with a winning record at 8-7 with their signature win against 5-12 UC Riverside. 8-10 Portland St does have a win against Maryland but they’ve also lost to teams that we defeated(Cal Poly). Offensively we’re 2nd in the con in hits and homers and 3rd in runs. Pitching wise, we’re 4th in Era, but showing our Jeckle and Hyde, we’re 1st in k’s and 6th in hits allowed. Something we’re not accustomed to is all the errors we’ve committed. We’re 6th in the league with 30 errors in 20 games. The only team with more is Sac St with 33 in 15 games.

These numbers represent a very broad generalization but they can give some perspective to where we’re at compared to the other teams in league. Like any sport, until we start playing our peers, it’s hard to gauge where we’re at.

Good post. That does take a more apples to apples look.

Our signature win against Rivertucky? Obviously you missed us sweeping LMU who is 9-7 (and 9-4 against everyone else).

SactoHornetFan said:
Our signature win against Rivertucky? Obviously you missed us sweeping LMU who is 9-7 (and 9-4 against everyone else).

My bad, I did not realize that LMU was on the come up like that. They definitely have had themselves a historic start to their season. Congrats on the home sweep of them. While I got you, I see Brookshire isn’t quite playing up to par. I recently predicted that she may go down as the greatest hitter in the cons short history and that includes the great Vicky Galasso of ISU. What do you think might be causing her “slump” and secondly, do you think Savanna Corr can continue to pitch so well in replacing Celina Mathias?

CAUTIOUS OPTIMISM -- I like that assesment, alabamagrizzly! At this point, in fact, I'm not even so cautious... I'm very positive re: the production of this young Montana team, for several reasons.

1. Mainly because they're still a young program and actually only in they're second recruiting cycle, they haven't evened-out starters from each class. Zero senior position players and only 2 juniors (battling for starting roles at that).

2. The ONLY Sr. leadership is coming from starting pitchers Colleen Driscoll and Maddy Stensby, both of whom struggled early. Driscoll pitched very well in the Stanford Invite, while Stensby seems to be working better in relief.

3. Not certain why, but jr. Michaela Hood is struggling & coach M is giving her a lot of leeway. The positive is that soph Tristin Achenbach is tossing innings and getting steadily stronger. She looked untouchable for 5 innings in her last outing (before getting more than touched-up in her 6th inning) against NDak State in another game they lost in late innings.

4. I think Montana looks to be right about where they were predicted pre-season. Some surprises. Weber State's pitching is very shaky right now. They might be having sore-arm or injury issues. The big surprise is Idaho State, due mainly to an impressive frosh pitcher (Pease) with a 1.81 era and a 4-0 record. She also looks capable of pitching on consecutive days. SAC and PSU look like solid locks on the top two spots.

5. I watched & listened to the excellent streamcasts of the Stanford Invite & the young p-b-p/color crew were very good. They mentioned several times that errors are waaaay up this year on all teams, mainly because of the very soggy weather conditions at all the California tourneys. They also noted that some pitchers were struggling with muddy/slippery mounds. So... something to consider.

REASONS FOR OPTIMISM:
• Last season Driscoll started slow and finished as one of the Big Sky's best. She seems to be repeating that pattern. IF Achenbach can continue her upward progress.... she's got an impressive 30 K's to 18 walk ratio (top 5 Big Sky) so far, but not full-game stamina. If she keeps improving, Montana can still have a decent pitching rotation and hope that Hood makes progress.
• An outstanding freshman class! I''m impressed and surprised (at a couple). Kudos to coach Meuchel for an outstanding recruiting class... despite unexpectedly losing two highly touted recruits. Currently the position-player rotation consists of 2 juniors, 3 sophomores (all locks to start) and... 4 impressive freshmen (two as locks to start). One of those frosh is catcher McKenna Tjaden, who is already filling an important role... technically as backup to soph Jessica McAlister. McAlister is so good that she's probably Montana's best at both catcher and 3b. What makes Tjaden so valuable is that she's an outstanding receiver (without quite the arm strength as McAlister behind the plate). When McAlister catches, freshman Kylie Becker plays the hot corner... and is doing quite capably on defense. That rotation is a good thing for Montana to have. The most impressive frosh, however, is probably SS Maygen McGrath. She's adjusting to the faster college game on defense, but not on offense. She has legit bat power, ranked 5th in the Big Sky @.368 with 4 doubles and 3 homers. Sophomore transfer Cami Sellers and sophomore Lexi Knauss are outstanding at 1b and 2b. Sellers has 11 rbi (batting 3rd) and Knauss @ leadoff has 22 hits & 5 doubles. The other lock as a starter is frosh cf Brooklyn Weisgram, who has made several outstanding throws to home already (at least one assist for an out). That leaves rf and lf, which have been capably played defensively by juniors Kylie Hayton and Ann Marie Petrino.... but (maybe the biggest surprise after last weekend) who are now joined in the rotation by late recruit, frosh Katie Pippel who -- in her first or second collegiate at bat -- hit a homer. Katie, Maygen, Cami and Brooklyn all have that classic profile of lean-yet-sturdy, athletic power women's softball players. So...
• Overall, though...the biggest cause for optimism is Montana's outstanding young hitting production, both for hits (3 players in the Big Sky top five in hits) & rbi...and a Big Sky best 9 homers.
• Their lone drawback so far has been late-inning collapses in at least four games they could have won... a mark of a young team, I guess.
• I think the Fresno State Bulldog Invite might give Montana an opportunity. None of the teams are the ranked power of Northwestern (23) and Stanford (just out of the top 25). Much depends on pitching, but I think They're capable of competing in every game. So... Go Montana.

grizzlyjournal said:
CAUTIOUS OPTIMISM -- I like that assesment, alabamagrizzly! At this point, in fact, I'm not even so cautious... I'm very positive re: the production of this young Montana team, for several reasons.

1. Mainly because they're still a young program and actually only in they're second recruiting cycle, they haven't evened-out starters from each class. Zero senior position players and only 2 juniors (battling for starting roles at that).

2. The ONLY Sr. leadership is coming from starting pitchers Colleen Driscoll and Maddy Stensby, both of whom struggled early. Driscoll pitched very well in the Stanford Invite, while Stensby seems to be working better in relief.

3. Not certain why, but jr. Michaela Hood is struggling & coach M is giving her a lot of leeway. The positive is that soph Tristin Achenbach is tossing innings and getting steadily stronger. She looked untouchable for 5 innings in her last outing (before getting more than touched-up in her 6th inning) against NDak State in another game they lost in late innings.

4. I think Montana looks to be right about where they were predicted pre-season. Some surprises. Weber State's pitching is very shaky right now. They might be having sore-arm or injury issues. The big surprise is Idaho State, due mainly to an impressive frosh pitcher (Pease) with a 1.81 era and a 4-0 record. She also looks capable of pitching on consecutive days. SAC and PSU look like solid locks on the top two spots.

5. I watched & listened to the excellent streamcasts of the Stanford Invite & the young p-b-p/color crew were very good. They mentioned several times that errors are waaaay up this year on all teams, mainly because of the very soggy weather conditions at all the California tourneys. They also noted that some pitchers were struggling with muddy/slippery mounds. So... something to consider.

REASONS FOR OPTIMISM:
• Last season Driscoll started slow and finished as one of the Big Sky's best. She seems to be repeating that pattern. IF Achenbach can continue her upward progress.... she's got an impressive 30 K's to 18 walk ratio (top 5 Big Sky) so far, but not full-game stamina. If she keeps improving, Montana can still have a decent pitching rotation and hope that Hood makes progress.
• An outstanding freshman class! I''m impressed and surprised (at a couple). Kudos to coach Meuchel for an outstanding recruiting class... despite unexpectedly losing two highly touted recruits. Currently the position-player rotation consists of 2 juniors, 3 sophomores (all locks to start) and... 4 impressive freshmen (two as locks to start). One of those frosh is catcher McKenna Tjaden, who is already filling an important role... technically as backup to soph Jessica McAlister. McAlister is so good that she's probably Montana's best at both catcher and 3b. What makes Tjaden so valuable is that she's an outstanding receiver (without quite the arm strength as McAlister behind the plate). When McAlister catches, freshman Kylie Becker plays the hot corner... and is doing quite capably on defense. That rotation is a good thing for Montana to have. The most impressive frosh, however, is probably SS Maygen McGrath. She's adjusting to the faster college game on defense, but not on offense. She has legit bat power, ranked 5th in the Big Sky @.368 with 4 doubles and 3 homers. Sophomore transfer Cami Sellers and sophomore Lexi Knauss are outstanding at 1b and 2b. Sellers has 11 rbi (batting 3rd) and Knauss @ leadoff has 22 hits & 5 doubles. The other lock as a starter is frosh cf Brooklyn Weisgram, who has made several outstanding throws to home already (at least one assist for an out). That leaves rf and lf, which have been capably played defensively by juniors Kylie Hayton and Ann Marie Petrino.... but (maybe the biggest surprise after last weekend) who are now joined in the rotation by late recruit, frosh Katie Pippel who -- in her first or second collegiate at bat -- hit a homer. Katie, Maygen, Cami and Brooklyn all have that classic profile of lean-yet-sturdy, athletic power women's softball players. So...
• Overall, though...the biggest cause for optimism is Montana's outstanding young hitting production, both for hits (3 players in the Big Sky top five in hits) & rbi...and a Big Sky best 9 homers.
• Their lone drawback so far has been late-inning collapses in at least four games they could have won... a mark of a young team, I guess.
• I think the Fresno State Bulldog Invite might give Montana an opportunity. None of the teams are the ranked power of Northwestern (23) and Stanford (just out of the top 25). Much depends on pitching, but I think They're capable of competing in every game. So... Go Montana.

Great summary GJ! Like you I’m less cautious and more optimistic. The hitting of this young squad has been a VERY pleasant surprise. Sac St is the only BSC team consistently doing better then us and they are tearing it up. I was hoping they’re pitching would take a plunge with the graduation of Celina Mathias but Savanna Corr seems to have stepped up admirably.

I was expecting Becker to have a better bat but her defense was expected with her history. I did expect Reily Williams to have more impact but maybe she’s taking a little longer to catch up to the college game.

I thought though that Michaela’s health would be one of the biggest question marks coming into the season and it seems she’s either still recovering or, worse yet, lost something from her injury. Hopefully for her sake, she can recover some of that dominance from her Fr year. Achenbach has definitely shown stretches of what she can do and getting her control down was the one question mark she had coming out of high school. It looks like Coach Mel has helped with that.

Can’t wait for the con schedule to start. Go Griz!

I couldn't comment on Williams, because I've just missed seeing her in action. I DID see jr. Morgan Johnson though. Coach M has been giving her playing time at dp and -- though her average doesn't show it -- she has good presence and solid bat control at the plate. I'm thinking that if Morgan can get her bat going (coach M put her in at dp for a reason) she could be a huge asset. By far the best pitcheer I've seen this spring is Northwestern's Williams... elite. Montana got only 3 hits off her, but Johnson got one of them... a laser down the right field line. She's got power. So, here's hoping she'll start having more success. If so, then Montana has promise of being offensively very tough throughout the lineup. (I'm not ignoring Maddy Stensby here. She's been filling in at dp as well, but not when she's pitching).

grizzlyjournal said:
I couldn't comment on Williams, because I've just missed seeing her in action. I DID see jr. Morgan Johnson though. Coach M has been giving her playing time at dp and -- though her average doesn't show it -- she has good presence and solid bat control at the plate. I'm thinking that if Morgan can get her bat going (coach M put her in at dp for a reason) she could be a huge asset. By far the best pitcheer I've seen this spring is Northwestern's Williams... elite. Montana got only 3 hits off her, but Johnson got one of them... a laser down the right field line. She's got power. So, here's hoping she'll start having more success. If so, then Montana has promise of being offensively very tough throughout the lineup. (I'm not ignoring Maddy Stensby here. She's been filling in at dp as well, but not when she's pitching).

Morgan has always been such a big question mark to me. She was so dangerous in high school and hasn’t carried over that power/average yet to the collegiate level. I know some girls take longer then others and I was really hoping she would get it this year. I know she’s had limited at bats in years past but this year she’s been given a bigger opportunity and I’d love to see her get in on track. For one, she’s a local product and I know for me coming out of Big Sky High, I’d have loved nothing more then to shine for the Griz. I’m sure she feels the same way and I really hope she gets it going.

alabamagrizzly said:
SactoHornetFan said:

My bad, I did not realize that LMU was on the come up like that. They definitely have had themselves a historic start to their season. Congrats on the home sweep of them. While I got you, I see Brookshire isn’t quite playing up to par. I recently predicted that she may go down as the greatest hitter in the cons short history and that includes the great Vicky Galasso of ISU. What do you think might be causing her “slump” and secondly, do you think Savanna Corr can continue to pitch so well in replacing Celina Mathias?

Brookshire will be fine. She's tied for the team lead in RBI with a.280 against some pretty stiff pitching. She also got off to a slow start last year with only one HR in the first 15 games. Then she really took off. Not really worried about her. The real surprise is Corr. She is 4-1 with a 0.31 ERA in her last 5 appearances, including two wins over LMU.

SactoHornetFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
SactoHornetFan said:

Brookshire will be fine. She's tied for the team lead in RBI with a.280 against some pretty stiff pitching. She also got off to a slow start last year with only one HR in the first 15 games. Then she really took off. Not really worried about her. The real surprise is Corr. She is 4-1 with a 0.31 ERA in her last 5 appearances, including two wins over LMU.

Ya, I was really hoping she wouldn’t step up like that :D . Your Washington transfer has really made an impact too. Once again I really think you guys are the team to beat and everyone will be looking up at you this year, especially since you get to host the con tourney, which I’m not a fan of how it’s now determined by the way.

alabamagrizzly said:
SactoHornetFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
SactoHornetFan said:

Ya, I was really hoping she wouldn’t step up like that :D . Your Washington transfer has really made an impact too. Once again I really think you guys are the team to beat and everyone will be looking up at you this year, especially since you get to host the con tourney, which I’m not a fan of how it’s now determined by the way.

We would have hosted the tourney last year but, because we as a conference is so spread out, last minute flight bookings have proved to be cost prohibitive now. Which is why hoops is now all together at a neutral site. The days of reg season champ hosting are over. Each sport chooses how to set it up. We will host volleyball tourney this year though we didn't win the regular season in the fall (pre-set bid).

Aubert staying healthy is one thing, but we have like a five-headed monster with Alas, Rasmussen, Brookshire, Speith and Aubert in the lineup. The team is batting as a whole almost .300.

The way the young kids are playing cautious optimism is turning into excitement. It might not be this year but the future is certainly bright. This softball program has a similar vibe to the Lady Griz. BB teams f the late 80's to M's 90's - fan support way outsized to the program, and a montana coach and core of players. Would not surprise me to see this team win tournament games in a few years.

Grizbeer said:
The way the young kids are playing cautious optimism is turning into excitement. It might not be this year but the future is certainly bright. This softball program has a similar vibe to the Lady Griz. BB teams f the late 80's to M's 90's - fan support way outsized to the program, and a montana coach and core of players. Would not surprise me to see this team win tournament games in a few years.

Agree 100% Grizbeer. This is a very young, but gritty group. Outstanding facility and "outsized" support, as you note. I watched over the weekend & got a kick out of their energy. If their pitching can stabilize a bit, they might shake things up a bit in the Big Sky this season.

grizzlyjournal said:
Grizbeer said:

Agree 100% Grizbeer. This is a very young, but gritty group. Outstanding facility and "outsized" support, as you note. I watched over the weekend & got a kick out of their energy. If their pitching can stabilize a bit, they might shake things up a bit in the Big Sky this season.

Pitching has been quite the conundrum this year. Year in and year out it has been our strength as with fielding. I can understand the spike in errors due to nearly a completely new starting line up, but these pitchers have been here before and been pretty successful up tell this year. I’ve wondered if Michaela has lingering injury issues but coach suggested last week that the pitchers might be pushing too hard and just needed to settle in and use what they know. One thing is for sure, when they do get dialed in, this team will be dangerous.

Huge 3 game sweep of a really good Nevada team heading into conference play. Should be an exciting con schedule coming up. Road series’s at WSU and Sac will be tuff though.

alabamagrizzly said:
Huge 3 game sweep of a really good Nevada team heading into conference play. Should be an exciting con schedule coming up. Road series’s at WSU and Sac will be tuff though.

The sweep of Nevada was incredible. It has to be a good confidence booster to the team and especially the pitchers. Sac State, despite an eyebrow-twitrch loss to Southern Utah at Cedar City, is still a prohibitive Big Sky favorite, with the top-3 pitchers in conference in era. Weber State, after some early pitching struggles -- is the early co-leader in the Big Sky with a 2-0 record -- and looks capable of overwhelming opponents with its offensive power. But Idaho State cannot be overlooked. A pre-season pick to finish 6th in conference, the Bengals are currently tied for first with Weber State at 2-0, after sweeping Portland State in Pocatello (game three was a weather cancellation). That's largely due to freshman hurler, Autumn Pease, currently sporting the fourth best era in the Big Sky (2.66) and -- with a 6-2 record -- sporting more wins than all other ISU pitchers combined. Montana hosts ISU this week. How they do against Pease may be a factor in winning their opening weekend in Big Sky action.

grizzlyjournal said:
alabamagrizzly said:

The sweep of Nevada was incredible. It has to be a good confidence booster to the team and especially the pitchers. Sac State, despite an eyebrow-twitch loss to Southern Utah at Cedar City, is still a prohibitive Big Sky favorite, with the top-3 pitchers in conference in ERA. Weber State, after some early pitching struggles -- is the early co-leader in the Big Sky with a 2-0 record -- and looks capable of overwhelming opponents with its offensive power. But Idaho State cannot be overlooked. A pre-season pick to finish 6th in conference, the Bengals are currently tied for first with Weber State at 2-0, after sweeping Portland State in Pocatello (game three was a weather cancellation). That's largely due to freshman hurler, Autumn Pease, currently sporting the fourth best ERA in the Big Sky (2.66) and -- with a 6-2 record -- sporting more wins than all other ISU pitchers combined. Montana hosts ISU this week. How they do against Pease may be a factor in winning their opening weekend in Big Sky action.

alabamagrizzly said:

That was a big deal, especially in the way they did it with multiple walk off and come from behind wins! I’ll take that any day and twice on Sundays! Now let’s keep it rolling.

I coach a youth fastpitch team who woudnt have made such baseunning blunders!!

Griz hosting Idaho St. Down 4-0 in the bottom of 3. Griz load bases, no outs.

They make first out at plate by hesitating and then trying to score on a wild pitch over head of catcher. So rule number 1 broken, don’t make the first out at home or 3rd...ever.

Next batter smokes a ball to third base side and runner on 3rd tries to advance and gets gunned at home by 1 mile.

Then as that is happening the hitter tries to round first base and take second and they gun her out by a mile.

Then coach Meuchel gingerly walks off the field like “oh well, not our luck”. No! That was a lesson in the worst baserunning ever to be seen in back to back plays. Like I said my 12 year old trave team knows better and I would expect a little more accountability from the coach to her players. That was uuuuuuuugly and why I’ll nver stand behind this coaching staff. Pinkerton would have lost his mind, and that is why he won titles and why this team will struggle.

Back