• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Akoh

rocklobster said:
Igotgoodsources said:
Dillon said:
fanofzoo said:
Has he even played half the games ?
What difference does it make - when your hurt your hurt! When playing sports unfortunately injuries happen & cheap shots happen!

Similarly, when you choose to quit you quit. He is Jeremy Calhoun of the basketball team. Yes, initially he did get hurt which caused him to miss games However, his injury at its worst is under 5 weeks for recovery.

That's a dumb statement. Dumbest post of the thread....... Where do you get you're information from? Teenagers? Sheesh!

Use_The_Magic_8_Ball_And_Have_Fun.jpg

Dr. Igotgoodsources speaks! :? By all accounts, Akoh is a leader on this team who merits lots of respect. I am sure he would be playing if he could and is agonizing over his inability to play. Remember, he has suffered two significant injuries this season, both coming during his efforts to help the Griz win. Your quitter comments are way out of line!

GrizWhiz said:
Dr. Igotgoodsources speaks! :? By all accounts, Akoh is a leader on this team merits lots of respect. I am sure he would be playing if he could and is agonizing over his inability to play. Remember, he has suffered two significant injuries this season, both coming during his efforts to help the Griz win. Your quitter comments are way out of line!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

For a guy who people say quit, it was interesting to see him cutting the net with the team and not being shunned by them. :roll:

Igotgoodsources said:
Dillon said:
fanofzoo said:
HookedonGriz said:
I agree, good chance on one and done without him. They look bad the last 3 games especially tonight.

What difference does it make - when your hurt your hurt! When playing sports unfortunately injuries happen & cheap shots happen!

Similarly, when you choose to quit you quit. He is Jeremy Calhoun of the basketball team. Yes, initially he did get hurt which caused him to miss games However, his injury at its worst is under 5 weeks for recovery.

If he is a quitter, why was he there to cut down the nets? One would think the team wouldn’t want him around for that.

ValleyGriz said:
For a guy who people say quit, it was interesting to see him cutting the net with the team and not being shunned by them. :roll:

Real people aren't saying he quit...just one troll that pops up every now and then. Akoh is obviously injured. From his injury information that is known...the MINIMUM anyone could expect him to be off his knee playing wise would be 4 weeks before he could run laterally and recover from jumps. He was injured the first week of Feb. He's about 30 days from injury, so just past 4 weeks. We also know there was additional checks done atleast a week after the injury. so either the swelling and pain was not subsiding and they looked further and found issue or he was recovering slower than expected. add not playing for 4+ weeks to the equation and you cant just come right back. you need to run and jump and get back in everyday playing shape. need to get the feel back. it was unrealistic for anyone to expect him to play at all this year. if he does... then great for the guy!! he deserves it! Don't count on seeing him in a jersey again however. Certainly because of his effort however, the guy is still very much a part of this team and what they stand for.

mtgrizfankb said:
ValleyGriz said:

Real people aren't saying he quit...just one troll that pops up every now and then. Akoh is obviously injured. From his injury information that is known...the MINIMUM anyone could expect him to be off his knee playing wise would be 4 weeks before he could run laterally and recover from jumps. He was injured the first week of Feb. He's about 30 days from injury, so just past 4 weeks. We also know there was additional checks done atleast a week after the injury. so either the swelling and pain was not subsiding and they looked further and found issue or he was recovering slower than expected. add not playing for 4+ weeks to the equation and you cant just come right back. you need to run and jump and get back in everyday playing shape. need to get the feel back. it was unrealistic for anyone to expect him to play at all this year. if he does... then great for the guy!! he deserves it! Don't count on seeing him in a jersey again however. Certainly because of his effort however, the guy is still very much a part of this team and what they stand for.

I was told in that first week of February that he wasn't coming back to play no matter anything happening with surgery or not.
4 weeks is usually the top of the line. As an out of shape 30 year old with no access to training facilities like these players I played competitive softball10 days removed from a bucket handle tear of my meniscus.
4 weeks is plenty of time.

ValleyGriz said:

If he was there I very well could be wrong. The first couple of days I was given information that he would not be returning to play the rest of the year weather medically cleared or not. Things seem to have changed since then. My apologies.

rocklobster said:
Igotgoodsources said:
Dillon said:
fanofzoo said:

That's a dumb statement. Dumbest post of the thread. Nothing personal. Have you ever had a meniscus tear? I have. It's painful and requires PT. There are different kinds of tears. He's an athlete who is a member of the team, and would not quit on his team. He'd be playing now if he could. Where do you get you're information from? Teenagers? Sheesh!
Actually..... I absolutely have had a bucket handle tear of my meniscus surgically repaired and in 10 days was playing competitive softball. The tear, and every minute prior to surgery are very painful. After surgery you experience almost zero pain what so ever.

Some of you aren’t being fair to the young man. A family member had the surgery and it took him 6 weeks before he was able to play again and 6 months before he was 100%.

WOW, I really question the character of anyone questioning Akoh, in this case. This guy has busted his ass for the GRIZ for 3 years now. On the court, he is damn warrior. Off the court, he has been terrific and perfect role model for what a GRIZ is and should be. As someone who has dealt with various ankle, knee, and hamstring injuries, when I was in my early 20's, I'd be surprised to see him back this season. Rather than bashing him, for his missing, how about supporting the guy, and believe the best of him. Has he honestly given anyone reason to doubt him? Get well Jamar, 99% of GRIZ NATION is pulling for you. Screw the few stirring the pot.

Igotgoodsources said:
ValleyGriz said:

If he was there I very well could be wrong. The first couple of days I was given information that he would not be returning to play the rest of the year weather medically cleared or not. Things seem to have changed since then. My apologies.

But you said you had good sources.....

As I have said before, it's absolutely possible to play at a high level, well before 4 weeks after a meniscus surgery. There are a number of factors though and not every similar meniscus tear even recovers the same. My thoughts are that if he is able to play, he would play. If not, he wouldn't, simple as that.

AZDoc said:
As I have said before, it's absolutely possible to play at a high level, well before 4 weeks after a meniscus surgery. There are a number of factors though and not every similar meniscus tear even recovers the same. My thoughts are that if he is able to play, he would play. If not, he wouldn't, simple as that.

This is precisely it. Some of it comes down to what the activity is and have had PT's give longer rehabs for players over the years. As a coach, it comes down to pain tolerance, confidence in the knee and the player itself as to determine what is appropriate. I absolutely won't push a player to return early than the prescribed length, if they aren't committed to return.

I think Akoh is a bit different animal from say a 5-10 170 pound rec athlete. No being dismissive, but there is a big difference between the physical demands of both.

Ask around. There is some learning on this subject out there. Rocklobster may not be a dumb as some of you think.

PlayerRep said:
Ask around. There is some learning on this subject out there. Rocklobster may not be a dumb as some of you think.

Agreed. I am going to give the benefit of the doubt to a player who, for his entire Griz career, has been nothing but a hard worker a who represents all that is great with Montana basketball. If he can't play, he knows his body better than some people's "sources" claim to.

Igotgoodsources said:
ValleyGriz said:

If you went to Griz home games since his injury, you would have seen him standing in support of his teammates during warmups, and on the bench cheering his teammates on during the games.

Yep I was told a while back that Akoh was done for year and regardless of healing or clearance he wouldn’t be playing. Not sure why or what happened that led to that level of thinking (if True).

Once I saw him with the team and on the bench (which was immediately after I was told this) I dismissed it as rumor. He definitely wouldn’t be hanging around if his time was done.

I have had a great deal of experience with meniscal tears as well as every other structure that can be injured in the knee joint. I have seen the healing period on a repaired meniscus run anywhere from a couple of weeks to 10 months!

To compare one person's personal experience to anyone else and assume since you healed quickly everyone else will too is like comparing weekend league softball to Division 1 basketball at an elite competitive level!

Jamar Akoh will heal the way his body will allow. Everyone is different in this respect. I would not be surprised to see him play again this season! I would not be surprised to see his Grizzly career be over! Either way, that decision will be made by Jamar, his surgeon and the coaches.

All we can do is wish him a speedy recovery, whatever that will be, and wish him all the best in his future endeavors. I certainly do on both counts!

mtgrizrule said:
WOW, I really question the character of anyone questioning Akoh, in this case. This guy has busted his ass for the GRIZ for 3 years now. On the court, he is damn warrior. Off the court, he has been terrific and perfect role model for what a GRIZ is and should be. As someone who has dealt with various ankle, knee, and hamstring injuries, when I was in my early 20's, I'd be surprised to see him back this season. Rather than bashing him, for his missing, how about supporting the guy, and believe the best of him. Has he honestly given anyone reason to doubt him? Get well Jamar, 99% of GRIZ NATION is pulling for you. Screw the few stirring the pot.
+1

Back