• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Akoh

UMFan12 said:
go96griz said:
Unfortunately, Akoh is done for the season and he has already undergone surgery. Big loss, time to retool the team for a run with a smaller and quicker rotation. They will miss Akoh for match ups against big teams due to the huge drop off in talent and size down low.
Is that official or just a rumor?

Confirmed, surgery on knee for meniscus tear.

Like I said. If Decuire wins the conference tourney now with no Akoh, extend him 20 years and give him any $ amount he wants. Would be the finest work of a head coach almost ever. In Decuire I trust! You feeling the fever....we have Decuire!

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
citay said:
AllWeatherFan said:
If it's true that Jamar is out for the year, I say we shift strategies and go small ball with Dorsey, Moorehead, Rorie, Oguine and Pridgett as our starting five, and Falls, Manuel and Anderson off the bench. Sucks to lose Jamar, but it's time now to push the ball up court.

AllWeather is spot on. AllWeather has become AllWise.

Akoh is gone. Stop worrying about what we don't have, and concentrate on what we do. At the very least we have:
--The best athletes in the Big Sky;
--Great rebounding from the guard line;
--A team that suddenly can shoot. (Good shooting is contagious and this team has caught the bug. Was Manuel the carrier?)

So: Here's my strategy.

--Push that ball! No matter who gets that rebound, turn and push the ball upcourt. (This is where our rebounding from the guard line could be a huge strength.) And remember: No player is the history of basketball has ever been faster than a pass. Pass that ball upcourt! This has been a HUGE key to the Warriors's success. Green, Durant, Thompson, Curry (who's a surprisingly good rebounder)--the minute they grab a rebound, they pivot and go, pell-mell, putting tremendous pressure on the opposing defense, especially the bigs, because big guys don't like to sprint up and down the court. And, yes, the NBA is catching up to small-ball, largely because bigs have become adept three-point shooters. Not so in the Big Sky. Not yet, anyway.

--Increase our shots on goal. Don't wait until deep in the possession to work for a shot. This just lets their defenses get set. Many times this year I've seen our kids pass on a good shot early in the possession. No! You get a good shot, take it. At the end of any game, I want our kids to have taken more shots than the opponent--a lot more shots. And remember, three-point shots often lead to long rebounds, further decreasing the advantage of the bigs underneath.

--More drives to the basket! Put constant pressure on the opposing bigs. Oguine has the quickest first step I've seen this side of the NBA. Rorie is crafty with an exceptional handle. He should drive more. And Pridgett to my mind is one of the huge surprises of this year.Turn him loose inside. He's shown great quickness underneath and a surprising array of deft post moves.

--I agree, this is a high-risk way to play. Turnovers ensure--a major problem for the Warriors, I might add. But at this point, it's our best chance. Strolling up the court, getting into a set offense, using up the shot clock to devise an open shot--those are all things that work to the advantage of a team, like Weber, with quality bigs.

The injury to Akoh has shaken us. Now we must respond by shaking things up again. To our advantage this time.

That might...MIGHT get us through the tourney...but we're staring at another 30 point blowout in the first round without a legit big man in the middle. We will get eaten ALIVE by the perimeter defenses that are out there in the top tier P5 conference teams.

But...what else you gonna do? It's not like we have a ton of options sitting on the bench...

I wouldn't call a 14 point loss last year to a team that made it to the tournament finals "another 30 point blowout in the first round".

After we shot to the 10-0 lead they outscored us by 24. But I was referring more to the Wisconsin and Syracuse games in years past...

So question is...if it's "just" a meniscus injury, he isn't necessarily out for the season. If it's a simple tear he can be back in 2-3 weeks, which is tourney time. If it's a complex tear or bucket handle tear, that makes things a bit more season ending. Depends on the type of surgery.

In its game preview article the Ogden newspaper said that Akon is out with an arm injury suffered in the Ewoo game. Travis was quoted as saying “he could go tonight or be out for awhile”

So is it a knee or an arm?

AZDoc said:
So question is...if it's "just" a meniscus injury, he isn't necessarily out for the season. If it's a simple tear he can be back in 2-3 weeks, which is tourney time. If it's a complex tear or bucket handle tear, that makes things a bit more season ending. Depends on the type of surgery.

The word going around is that he plans to be out.

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
In its game preview article the Ogden newspaper said that Akon is out with an arm injury suffered in the Ewoo game. Travis was quoted as saying “he could go tonight or be out for awhile”

So is it a knee or an arm?
Akoh did not play against EWU.

go96griz said:
AZDoc said:

Now...I certainly didn't say it was smart for him to come back in 2 weeks...just making medical suggestions. He can play professionally somewhere in my opinion. If I'd be hindering my future, as well as only being 75%, I'd make that same decision if that's what it is. That also tells me though, that probably more than a simple meniscus as even a puss like me would be back in 3 weeks after a "simple" scope. As much as it sucks for the Griz, I think, unless he's feeling dynamite, that's the smart choice.

AZDoc said:

I had been thinking the same things. Perhaps it's the type that requires more recovery time.

Also, I finally learned why my first scope took so long to recover from and the second one didn't. The first was a bucket tear, and really took a couple months to recover. With the second, I was skiing at Big Sky 8, 9 and 10 days later, and in the bumps on the 10th. Was a bit sore after the bumps. And I was no spring chicken the second time. The first time I had gone to Mpls to have some hotshot partner of my buddy do the scope, so I had no initial visit or followup with him (or else he probably would have told me, or I remembered, about recovery time). In the learn something new every day category. Thx.

HookedonGriz said:
Like I said. If Decuire wins the conference tourney now with no Akoh, extend him 20 years and give him any $ amount he wants. Would be the finest work of a head coach almost ever. In Decuire I trust! You feeling the fever....we have Decuire!

IF. Big IF. I ass/u/me YOU are writing the check. :shock:

tourist said:
HookedonGriz said:

I’ll write a check...but I’ll need a lot of help :). Afraid mine would only cover like 1%

tourist said:
HookedonGriz said:

Well, technically, it's not one check. It's one check every year. You can't pay for ongoing expenses with one-time money. :)

Noted, AWF. "...checks." Accounting background? English background? At times I don't habla the language. :) Left my correct English composition skills behind me about 30 years ago.

go96griz said:
AZDoc said:

At least there is no rumor that he "doesn't want to play for the Griz anymore".....this thread would get looooong.

HookedonGriz said:
If? Do it regardless. Now!
IMO, TDC is the best coach UM has ever had. Obviously high praise, considering our coaching tree, but I’m a true believer. There is something about a defensive minded point guard that makes basketball look like a work of art.
Once Cal snatches him up this off-season, the UM coaching tree will account for one-quarter of all the active head coaches in the Pac12. That’s nutbars

Mousegriz said:
go96griz said:
AZDoc said:

At least there is no rumor that he "doesn't want to play for the Griz anymore".....this thread would get looooong.

I purposefully worded it that way for a reason.

Mousegriz said:
go96griz said:
AZDoc said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back