• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Akoh

IF Akoh is done, yes, I agree UM will be another team and not nearly as good as they have been. He's the straw that stirs the drink.

However, I still think the Griz will/would win the conference and the conference tourney. The other guys will step up. Mainly the seniors and guys who have been playing. All of them are capable of upping their games.

There will/would be no waiting for Akoh to return. Every single one of the seniors is capable of upping their games. Same with the juniors. They want the ncaa's. They've been there before. They will listen to their coaches, who will know how to coach them to be the best they can be. I don't see any selfish players on the team.

Rorie is capable of looking to score earlier and scoring big, with drives, shorter jumpers and the 3. Morehead is stepping up his all around game. Oguine and Pridgett can step up their games, and still play within themselves. Falls and Manuel can too. Dorsey is now coming on and can be a huge plus.

The 3 young bigs have all played some. I think all 3 of them are better now and can play bigger roles, and play them well. They will listen to the their coaches. Freddie Brown has played a bit. I think he can come into a game and knock down a 3 or two.

Based on nothing, I still think Akoh will play. But if he doesn't, this team and coaches can and will find a way to get where they want to go, or at least go down swinging.

This team having been to the tourney last year will be a huge positive.

PlayerRep said:
IF Akoh is done, yes, I agree UM will be another team and not nearly as good as they have been. He's the straw that stirs the drink.

However, I still think the Griz will/would win the conference and the conference tourney. The other guys will step up. Mainly the seniors and guys who have been playing. All of them are capable of upping their games.

There will/would be no waiting for Akoh to return. Every single one of the seniors is capable of upping their games. Same with the juniors. They want the ncaa's. They've been there before. They will listen to their coaches, who will know how to coach them to be the best they can be. I don't see any selfish players on the team.

Rorie is capable of looking to score earlier and scoring big, with drives, shorter jumpers and the 3. Morehead is stepping up his all around game. Oguine and Pridgett can step up their games, and still play within themselves. Falls and Manuel can too. Dorsey is now coming on and can be a huge plus.

The 3 young bigs have all played some. I think all 3 of them are better now and can play bigger roles, and play them well. They will listen to the their coaches. Freddie Brown has played a bit. I think he can come into a game and knock down a 3 or two.

Based on nothing, I still think Akoh will play. But if he doesn't, this team and coaches can and will find a way to get where they want to go, or at least go down swinging.

This team having been to the tourney last year will be a huge positive.

:clap: :clap: :clap: I agree!

AllWeatherFan said:
If it's true that Jamar is out for the year, I say we shift strategies and go small ball with Dorsey, Moorehead, Rorie, Oguine and Pridgett as our starting five, and Falls, Manuel and Anderson off the bench. Sucks to lose Jamar, but it's time now to push the ball up court.

AllWeather is spot on. AllWeather has become AllWise.

Akoh is gone. Stop worrying about what we don't have, and concentrate on what we do. At the very least we have:
--The best athletes in the Big Sky;
--Great rebounding from the guard line;
--A team that suddenly can shoot. (Good shooting is contagious and this team has caught the bug. Was Manuel the carrier?)

So: Here's my strategy.

--Push that ball! No matter who gets that rebound, turn and push the ball upcourt. (This is where our rebounding from the guard line could be a huge strength.) And remember: No player is the history of basketball has ever been faster than a pass. Pass that ball upcourt! This has been a HUGE key to the Warriors's success. Green, Durant, Thompson, Curry (who's a surprisingly good rebounder)--the minute they grab a rebound, they pivot and go, pell-mell, putting tremendous pressure on the opposing defense, especially the bigs, because big guys don't like to sprint up and down the court. And, yes, the NBA is catching up to small-ball, largely because bigs have become adept three-point shooters. Not so in the Big Sky. Not yet, anyway.

--Increase our shots on goal. Don't wait until deep in the possession to work for a shot. This just lets their defenses get set. Many times this year I've seen our kids pass on a good shot early in the possession. No! You get a good shot, take it. At the end of any game, I want our kids to have taken more shots than the opponent--a lot more shots. And remember, three-point shots often lead to long rebounds, further decreasing the advantage of the bigs underneath.

--More drives to the basket! Put constant pressure on the opposing bigs. Oguine has the quickest first step I've seen this side of the NBA. Rorie is crafty with an exceptional handle. He should drive more. And Pridgett to my mind is one of the huge surprises of this year.Turn him loose inside. He's shown great quickness underneath and a surprising array of deft post moves.

--I agree, this is a high-risk way to play. Turnovers ensure--a major problem for the Warriors, I might add. But at this point, it's our best chance. Strolling up the court, getting into a set offense, using up the shot clock to devise an open shot--those are all things that work to the advantage of a team, like Weber, with quality bigs.

The injury to Akoh has shaken us. Now we must respond by shaking things up again. To our advantage this time.

Schweyen's head is on the block after repeated injuries kill any chance of a successful season, again. I assume the same standard would apply to MBB. Can't discriminate. Title IX and all that. Slippery slope. Beware, Travis.

tourist said:
Schweyen's head is on the block after repeated injuries kill any chance of a successful season, again. I assume the same standard would apply to MBB. Can't discriminate. Title IX and all that. Slippery slope. Beware, Travis.

One of the dumbest posts I’ve ever read on Egriz. And that’s says a shit ton. Even if you’re being a smart ass this is dumb as shit.

citay said:
AllWeatherFan said:
If it's true that Jamar is out for the year, I say we shift strategies and go small ball with Dorsey, Moorehead, Rorie, Oguine and Pridgett as our starting five, and Falls, Manuel and Anderson off the bench. Sucks to lose Jamar, but it's time now to push the ball up court.

Akoh is gone. Stop worrying about what we don't have, and concentrate on what we do. At the very least we have:
--A team that suddenly can shoot. (Good shooting is contagious and this team has caught the bug. Was Manuel the carrier?)

--Push that ball! No matter who gets that rebound, turn and push the ball upcourt. (This is where our rebounding from the guard line could be a huge strength.) And remember: No player is the history of basketball has ever been faster than a pass. Pass that ball upcourt! This has been a HUGE key to the Warriors's success. Green, Durant, Thompson, Curry (who's a surprisingly good rebounder)--the minute they grab a rebound, they pivot and go, pell-mell, putting tremendous pressure on the opposing defense, especially the bigs, because big guys don't like to sprint up and down the court. And, yes, the NBA is catching up to small-ball, largely because bigs have become adept three-point shooters. Not so in the Big Sky. Not yet, anyway.

--Increase our shots on goal. Don't wait until deep in the possession to work for a shot. This just lets their defenses get set. Many times this year I've seen our kids pass on a good shot early in the possession. No! You get a good shot, take it. At the end of any game, I want our kids to have taken more shots than the opponent--a lot more shots. And remember, three-point shots often lead to long rebounds, further decreasing the advantage of the bigs underneath.

--More drives to the basket! Put constant pressure on the opposing bigs. Oguine has the quickest first step I've seen this side of the NBA. Rorie is crafty with an exceptional handle. He should drive more. And Pridgett to my mind is one of the huge surprises of this year.Turn him loose inside. He's shown great quickness underneath and a surprising array of deft post moves.

--I agree, this is a high-risk way to play. Turnovers ensure--a major problem for the Warriors, I might add. But at this point, it's our best chance. Strolling up the court, getting into a set offense, using up the shot clock to devise an open shot--those are all things that work to the advantage of a team, like Weber, with quality bigs.

The injury to Akoh has shaken us. Now we must respond by shaking things up again. To our advantage this time.

That might...MIGHT get us through the tourney...but we're staring at another 30 point blowout in the first round without a legit big man in the middle. We will get eaten ALIVE by the perimeter defenses that are out there in the top tier P5 conference teams.

But...what else you gonna do? It's not like we have a ton of options sitting on the bench...

Devils advocate, Hook. Can't really compare apples and oranges. Honest question: Did MBB plan to play four guards, or did they have early season injuries to big men?

tourist said:

....possibly slippin' all the way to Berkeley and 7 figures next year!

AZGrizFan said:
citay said:
AllWeatherFan said:

--I agree, this is a high-risk way to play. Turnovers ensue--a major problem for the Warriors, I might add. But at this point, it's our best chance. Strolling up the court, getting into a set offense, using up the shot clock to devise an open shot--those are all things that work to the advantage of a team, like Weber, with quality bigs.

That might...MIGHT get us through the tourney...but we're staring at another 30 point blowout in the first round without a legit big man in the middle. We will get eaten ALIVE by the perimeter defenses that are out there in the top tier P5 conference teams.

But...what else you gonna do? It's not like we have a ton of options sitting on the bench...

I agree but the Big Dance is irrelevant at this point. We'll worry about that when we get there. Right now, Sky is the limit--of our thinking.

AZGrizFan said:
citay said:
AllWeatherFan said:

I wouldn't call a 14 point loss last year to a team that made it to the tournament finals "another 30 point blowout in the first round".

grizzlyjournal said:
Missoulian Griz beat writer, Kyle Hansen's, Griz-Weber preview is an interesting read. It starts with a mini-profile on Sr. Bobby Moorehead, gets a nice perspective of the Griz-Wildcat rivalry from coach DeCuire & finishes with a "we'll wait & see" take on Akoh's condition... implying that there's still some hope for Jamar's return.

The word I was getting as of last night was consistent with what Travis' above quote.

PlayerRep said:
grizzlyjournal said:
Missoulian Griz beat writer, Kyle Hansen's, Griz-Weber preview is an interesting read. It starts with a mini-profile on Sr. Bobby Moorehead, gets a nice perspective of the Griz-Wildcat rivalry from coach DeCuire & finishes with a "we'll wait & see" take on Akoh's condition... implying that there's still some hope for Jamar's return.

The word I was getting as of last night was consistent with what Travis' above quote.

Sounds like a game time decision! Whatever the case, Travis will have a strategy. If Weber is without Braxton, that will help. Akoh was dressed for the last game. Three point shooting and Bobby guarding Harding will help. Also, Oguine on Johns. It’s a tough game with or with Akoh. Go Griz!

Over the years I have come to this conclusion about knee injuries: You might as well blow the thing out, because sprains and strains are an absolute bear to deal with. You lose functional strength and it is fatiguing. The knee never feels well and it robs you of leg and back strength.

Having dealt with it myself a couple of times, those types of lingering knee issues are just awful to deal with. Hopefully Akoh is able to plug through it.

Is there a strength conditioning issue going on at UM? I mean since Shannon took over for Robin she hasn't had her full team yet because of knee injuries. Now Akoh? I just wonder what kind of training these young folks are getting?

citay said:
Akoh is gone. Stop worrying about what we don't have, and concentrate on what we do.

Right on. Or, to put that slightly differently: "Don't expect our young, inexperienced bigs to do the best they can in Akoh's absence, change our strategy to mitigate our need for a quality big!"

Unfortunately, Akoh is done for the season and he has already undergone surgery. Big loss, time to retool the team for a run with a smaller and quicker rotation. They will miss Akoh for match ups against big teams due to the huge drop off in talent and size down low.

go96griz said:
Unfortunately, Akoh is done for the season and he has already undergone surgery. Big loss, time to retool the team for a run with a smaller and quicker rotation. They will miss Akoh for match ups against big teams due to the huge drop off in talent and size down low.
Is that official or just a rumor?

Back