• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz in the AFF

ordigger said:
No 18 year old is ready for the NBA....ever. The lack of basic skill level contributes to the NBA continuing to slide into oblivion. Guys can’t hit free throws, post or even drive. Some of today’s biggest “stars” simply play pass the ball, until they can take a 3 pt play. I guess exciting for some fans but for me the lack of skills and 3 pt shooting has destroyed the game.

A system like the minor leagues in baseball would be perfect. They have alternatives from college, plus get paid but even better can learn wtf they are doing.

If the NBA has become what you suggest, I suppose you have to admit some HS stars are, indeed, ready for the NBA.

I support the AAF as a "minor league" to the NFL, and support talented HS FB players to be signed directly into the AAF, rather than the NCAA. I agree that baseball, w/ its farm system, has long been an access to talented players w/o going to college. Then, college football can back to its roots like the Ivy League, where football began. Yes, still have college football programs, but w/o the expense and pressure of what are effectively NFL minor leagues. Let talented players mature in the AAF instead of college, as in baseball. College baseball remains open to players who also desire a degree.

ordigger said:
No 18 year old is ready for the NBA....ever. The lack of basic skill level contributes to the NBA continuing to slide into oblivion. Guys can’t hit free throws, post or even drive. Some of today’s biggest “stars” simply play pass the ball, until they can take a 3 pt play. I guess exciting for some fans but for me the lack of skills and 3 pt shooting has destroyed the game.

A system like the minor leagues in baseball would be perfect. They have alternatives from college, plus get paid but even better can learn wtf they are doing.

Lol. Well you might want to pass that wisdom on to nba teams and scouts that have said the exact opposite.

Do you really believe that Ayton wasn’t ready out of high school but his half a year at Arizona (who only went there because corrupt coaches paid him to) is what made him nba ready? No chance.

I’m sorry but a lot has changed over the years. When they get rid of the rule you’ll once again see teams drafting kids out of high school proving they think these kids can be ready

ordigger said:

3 of the top 6 league wide FT %'s in the last 58 years have been the last three seasons. If you think today's players can't drive you may want to check out some of these guys; Harden, Westbrook, James, Durant, hell even Curry at 6'3 spends a ton of time in the lane. As for posting up it's a dying art because you have to shoot 50% from inside the lane, where you are going to face constant double teams, and the other team only has to shoot 33% from behind the arc, where you can't double team and often can't even get to the shooter. Games change as coaches get smarter and players adapt. Happens in every sport.

SaskGriz said:
ordigger said:

3 of the top 6 league wide FT %'s in the last 58 years have been the last three seasons. If you think today's players can't drive you may want to check out some of these guys; Harden, Westbrook, James, Durant, hell even Curry at 6'3 spends a ton of time in the lane. As for posting up it's a dying art because you have to shoot 50% from inside the lane, where you are going to face constant double teams, and the other team only has to shoot 33% from behind the arc, where you can't double team and often can't even get to the shooter. Games change as coaches get smarter and players adapt. Happens in every sport.

Brilliant post.

I’d also point out that Luka Doncic has been playing pro ball overseas since he was 14, got drafted when he was barely 19, and is killing it this season despite not being 20. But we force guys like Zion to go to school. It’s silly.

ilovethecats said:
SaskGriz said:
ordigger said:

Brilliant post.

I’d also point out that Luka Doncic has been playing pro ball overseas since he was 14, got drafted when he was barely 19, and is killing it this season despite not being 20. But we force guys like Zion to go to school. It’s silly.

As long as these kids don’t hire an agent, I’m all for it. Let them test the waters. Of course not hiring an agent reduces their chance of getting drafted. Once they hire an agent though, they lose every opportunity to have their college education paid for. For every LeBron/Kobe/Zion, there’s five Robert Swift/Ousmane Cisse/Ndudi Ebi‘s.

alabamagrizzly said:
ilovethecats said:
SaskGriz said:
ordigger said:

Brilliant post.

As long as these kids don’t hire an agent, I’m all for it. Let them test the waters. Of course not hiring an agent reduces their chance of getting drafted. Once they hire an agent though, they lose every opportunity to have their college education paid for. For every LeBron/Kobe/Zion, there’s five Robert Swift/Ousmane Cisse/Ndudi Ebi‘s.

And that's a risk the players and teams who draft them have to deal with just like any other risky attribute.

alabamagrizzly said:
ilovethecats said:
SaskGriz said:
ordigger said:

Brilliant post.

That highly valuable 1-2 semesters of school filled with remedial GE classes at best, or straight up puff classes solely designed to be passed by athletes with as little work as possible?

There's definitely a place for the majority of CBB prospects in the NCAA, but there are always some every year that realistically do not need college basketball, and the only reason they're forced to play one year is to make the NCAA and schools as much money as possible.

ilovethecats said:
SaskGriz said:
ordigger said:

Brilliant post.

Completely agree with ILTC and Sask...Plenty of 18 year olds that are ready for the NBA...Doncic, Zion, Ayton, just to name a couple over the past 12 months...

Oredigger, you don't think Lebron or KD were ready when they were 18??? Not sure how much NBA you've watched lately, but its pretty good right now.

uofmman1122 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
ilovethecats said:
SaskGriz said:

Brilliant post.

That highly valuable 1-2 semesters of school filled with remedial GE classes at best, or straight up puff classes solely designed to be passed by athletes with as little work as possible?

There's definitely a place for the majority of CBB prospects in the NCAA, but there are always some every year that realistically do not need college basketball, and the only reason they're forced to play one year is to make the NCAA and schools as much money as possible.

I guess my argument isn’t as much against the early entry’s as it is against kids who are misguided on their basketball abilities by people who ultimately just want to make as much money off them as they can before they fall out the league after a year or two and no career to fall back on or ability to pay for a college education.

alabamagrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
ilovethecats said:
Brilliant post.

I guess my argument isn’t as much against the early entry’s as it is against kids who are misguided on their basketball abilities by people who ultimately just want to make as much money off them as they can before they fall out the league after a year or two and no career to fall back on or ability to pay for a college education.

I understand the hypothetical, but I'd bet there aren't many guys who are good enough to get drafted out of HS (in a two-round draft, no less) who stick around and graduate college. The one-and-done rule isn't saving the players you describe; they just enter the draft a year later without graduating. I don't think this happens:

NBA TEAM IN 2018: Kid, we want to pick you and pay you millions, but you have to be a year older.
KID: Damn. That sucks. See you next year.
NBA TEAM IN 2019: Kid, we plan to pick you and pay you millions!
KID: Nah, I'm good. I'm learning so much about CBB from Coach K, and I'm digging my classes so much that I'm going to stay and graduate.
NBA TEAM IN 2019: Welp, then we're going to pick someone else and pay him millions. Good luck in class for the next three years. Say hi to Coach K. Hope you don't get hurt.

marceagfan5 said:
ilovethecats said:
SaskGriz said:
ordigger said:

Brilliant post.

Completely agree with ILTC and Sask...Plenty of 18 year olds that are ready for the NBA...Doncic, Zion, Ayton, just to name a couple over the past 12 months...

Oredigger, you don't think Lebron or KD were ready when they were 18??? Not sure how much NBA you've watched lately, but its pretty good right now.

It’s boring. No creativity. Pass, catch and shoot. Of course there are some exceptions to any rule in regard to 18 year olds. NBA started dying 12-15 years ago. Of course the NFL will die long before the NBA because of safety issues but more so because of insurance coverage in regard to safety. Insurers simply don’t want to insure football - even at lower levels.

CDAGRIZ said:
alabamagrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:
alabamagrizzly said:

I understand the hypothetical, but I'd bet there aren't many guys who are good enough to get drafted out of HS (in a two-round draft, no less) who stick around and graduate college. The one-and-done rule isn't saving the players you describe; they just enter the draft a year later without graduating. I don't think this happens:

NBA TEAM IN 2018: Kid, we want to pick you and pay you millions, but you have to be a year older.
KID: Nah, I'm good. I'm learning so much about CBB from Coach K, and I'm digging my classes so much that I'm going to stay and graduate.
NBA TEAM IN 2019: Welp, then we're going to pick someone else and pay him millions. Good luck in class for the next three years. Say hi to Coach K. Hope you don't get hurt.

I agree that some kids are definitely ready. LeBron probably coulda got drafted out of middle school. Like I said, im not saying early entry is a bad thing for those that can make it. My issue is with the kids that aren’t good enough to make it but someone is in their ear telling them they are and then after it’s too late, they fail. I’m sure LaVar Ball thought all three of his kids were NBA MVP’s right out the womb and only one of them will ever see an NBA court. I’m all for the draft out of high school if the kid is good enough to succeed at the pro level.

ordigger said:
marceagfan5 said:
ilovethecats said:
SaskGriz said:

Brilliant post.

It’s boring. No creativity. Pass, catch and shoot. Of course there are some exceptions to any rule in regard to 18 year olds. NBA started dying 12-15 years ago. Of course the NFL will die long before the NBA because of safety issues but more so because of insurance coverage in regard to safety. Insurers simply don’t want to insure football - even at lower levels.

Love your posts, digger, but you are seriously misguided on the NBA's popularity. It's better than ever. It doesn't mean you have to like it, but you can't just say it is dying or not as popular, etc.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradadgate/2018/04/25/the-2017-18-season-was-great-for-the-nba/#71bc02c52ecb

alabamagrizzly said:
CDAGRIZ said:
alabamagrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:

I agree that some kids are definitely ready. LeBron probably coulda got drafted out of middle school. Like I said, im not saying early entry is a bad thing for those that can make it. My issue is with the kids that aren’t good enough to make it but someone is in their ear telling them they are and then after it’s too late, they fail. I’m sure LaVar Ball thought all three of his kids were NBA MVP’s right out the womb and only one of them will ever see an NBA court. I’m all for the draft out of high school if the kid is good enough to succeed at the pro level.

I get what you're saying, and I agree. I'm trying to take it a step further by suggesting that if a kid isn't good enough to have a pro career, he likely wouldn't get drafted out of HS. Some might slip through the cracks for various reasons, but on average, if you're good enough to get drafted out of HS, you have the potential to make money in the NBA.

To that end, what about this: Let the HS grads test the waters without hiring an agent like they do with CBB underclassmen. Talk to teams; see if you have a chance to be drafted. If not, go to college. I'm confident the NBA talent assemssment is good enough to minimize the chance of a kid being in the league without the potential to make it. Just a thought.

A big thing to consider is your health. If you are forced to play a year in college, blow your knee out, what happens then? You never got paid. If at least you did that during your rookie year in the NBA, you'd at least have a chunk of change to help you transition from basketball to a more normal career path.

These kids, their biggest asset is their athletic ability and skill, obviously. That can be taken away at any time for any fluke reason. You need to maximize while you got it, as quickly as is legally allowed in your sport. I understand wanting to come back for another season to help your team win the NC, etc, but man you are risking your future by doing that.

CatzWillRise said:
A big thing to consider is your health. If you are forced to play a year in college, blow your knee out, what happens then? You never got paid. If at least you did that during your rookie year in the NBA, you'd at least have a chunk of change to help you transition from basketball to a more normal career path.

These kids, their biggest asset is their athletic ability and skill, obviously. That can be taken away at any time for any fluke reason. You need to maximize while you got it, as quickly as is legally allowed in your sport. I understand wanting to come back for another season to help your team win the NC, etc, but man you are risking your future by doing that.

Good points, and I totally agree.
While some will say that's a very rare occurrence, what if this happened anywhere else? Imagine being brilliant MSU grad (as difficult as that may be) and being offered five or six very lucrative train driving jobs right after graduation. You can only drive trains until you're 35-ish, BUT, there is a rule in pro train driving that requires you to first drive the Holiday/X-Mas train at the mall for free for a year before you can get paid big bucks for driving big trains. Then, throw in a 2% chance your train driving abilities get compromised somehow during that mall year (unruly children, burnout, torn ACL, pennies on the track, etc.), thus eliminating your chances of ever being a pro train driver.

You're gonna want to drive that fucking train to make some coin before you can't. Driving one at the mall for a year does nothing for you.

PeauxRouge said:
ordigger said:
marceagfan5 said:
ilovethecats said:
Brilliant post.

Love your posts, digger, but you are seriously misguided on the NBA's popularity. It's better than ever. It doesn't mean you have to like it, but you can't just say it is dying or not as popular, etc.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradadgate/2018/04/25/the-2017-18-season-was-great-for-the-nba/#71bc02c52ecb
I agree. Don’t have to love the nba but it’s more popular now than it ever has been. In a great place!

We’re all getting older. Something about get off my lawn and the nba is boring...

Back