• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring ball discussion: Offense

argh! said:
i always thought that reynolds ran like a stiff, old white guy who defenders couldn't quite figure out, because they typically never saw such a runner. his lack of fluidity makes one think he's going to accidentally fall down on his own half the time, but he always kept upright and moving forward.

. . . and then eGriz . . .

giphy.gif

argh! said:
i always thought that reynolds ran like a stiff, old white guy who defenders couldn't quite figure out, because they typically never saw such a runner. his lack of fluidity makes one think he's going to accidentally fall down on his own half the time, but he always kept upright and moving forward.

Kinda like Jimmy Brown , Franco Harris

fanofzoo said:
argh! said:

you understand. great comparisons.

CDAGRIZ said:
argh! said:

. . . and then eGriz . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7knTgdgaSU

AZDoc said:
garizzalies said:
mtgrizfankb said:
reinell30 said:
I hope I am dead wrong about Eastwood and he becomes a great back. I have read too many comments on here thru the last 12 months about how poor our running game is and that we need running backs. Got to have running backs in this recruiting class. If this is true, there are many people on here that share my opinion about Eastwood.

Janacaro is the man! Count on it!

What if I told you we had a back on our roster that had as good of a year and Jeremy Calhoun did his junior year when he got all the hype....

What if I told you there are stats to prove it....

What if I told you that was Adam Eastwood last year
You’re wasting your breath, er thoughts. Time! Trust me; I’ve tried.
Some guys can tell he lacks vision and can’t find the hole. They can see better than he can. It’s clear as a bell on their grainy laptop

I played RB in college. He is a 1 cut back, period. Stats were similar but different styles. Those that can’t see that are wasting their breath, er thoughts. With last years line, he has big runs that made his stats look better. Calhoun was a better back when in there because was better getting something out of nothing. With a better line, Eastwood may be a better back because there is an open hole for him to hit and not have to improvise. My grainy laptop sees that just fine.

Maybe not the best way to break it down, pulled out his longest rushes from his stats:

37 yards vs Drake
68 yards vs Poly
14 yards vs Poly
14 yards vs Sac
17 yards vs PSU

His total stat line was 514 yards on 125 attempts, a 4.1 ypc average
Take out those 5 runs and he's got 364 yards on 120 attempts, a 3 ypc average

So yeah... those skew the numbers. But what was more interesting to me in looking at games where he put up big numbers vs games where he didn't.

Better showings: Drake, Sac, Poly, PSU. 343 of his total yards on 59 carries = 5.8 ypc & 6 TDs

So for all the other games he had 171 yards on 66 carries = 2.6 ypc & 3 TDs

---------

It's hard to fault just Eastwood considering the major issues with the O-line last season as well, however it would seem that his numbers might've been more inflated from weaker competition games, save the PSU game, than how they were inflated by some of his longest runs.

WaGriz4life said:
Give Sulser carries out of the backfield please. Use him like Percy Harvin at Florida

Love it, build in some Wildcat offense for him too. He needs the ball in his hands more this season.

BWahlberg said:
WaGriz4life said:
Give Sulser carries out of the backfield please. Use him like Percy Harvin at Florida

Love it, build in some Wildcat offense for him too. He needs the ball in his hands more this season.
Also, he can kick! (Was the backup kicker at Senior, I believe)

BWahlberg said:
WaGriz4life said:

I think first and foremost, first 2 possessions every game needs to run him on a jet or fly sweep no matter what. Make them see it on film...make them see it early...make them follow it the rest of the game. Force them to respect it and use it all day to move the defense.

argh! said:
fanofzoo said:
argh! said:

I didn't realize Jim Brown and Franco Harris were stiff, old white guys...who knew? :? :?

go96griz said:
dayday said:
Coaches are really high on trying Cy Sirmon at Center this spring because of his athleticism and smarts. They may have to bring him back over to DL if the depth isn’t there, This will be an interesting Spring to see how some guys progress. I don’t think this offense will be too bad off by the start of Fall camp if the OL continues to improve and they add another RB.

Heard Cy played all last season at 270. He came back after winter break at 290 intent on playing OL.

This coaching staff has been signing his praises for his football IQ, his athleticism, and his ability to adapt to new positions and put team over self. I've been hearing this about him since last season. Hope that's the case. Although I'm still a fan of Cody Meyer, I think he was just a little undersized and *maybe* unprepared for the role dropped on him last season, once Dallas Hart went down with an injury. With a year of experience, hopefully some added strength, and good work towards improvement I wouldn't count him out either. I've always liked how he plays mean.

behappp said:
I'm really looking forward to Sneed improving his accuracy and consistency too. If he can lock in with this WR crew, not only on the 10-15 yd throws, but on the 20 yd+ throws, we will score a ton of points.

:thumb:

Last season there was a fairly simple observation of "good Sneed" vs "bad Sneed". Games where he was more accurate, didn't force passes, and didn't lose fumbles - we won. On the other hand, games where he had a rough day, the team couldn't cover his mistakes and they all resulted in losses.

Can't pin the losses entirely on him, but for his own part - that has to clean itself up. The cat game is a prime example. 3 quarters of good Sneed = Griz winning and in control. 1 quarter of bad Sneed = well... we know the result. Again, that loss isn't entirely on him or any one player, but its something you can attribute to the end result.

BWahlberg said:
behappp said:
I'm really looking forward to Sneed improving his accuracy and consistency too. If he can lock in with this WR crew, not only on the 10-15 yd throws, but on the 20 yd+ throws, we will score a ton of points.

Last season there was a fairly simple observation of "good Sneed" vs "bad Sneed". Games where he was more accurate, didn't force passes, and didn't lose fumbles - we won. On the other hand, games where he had a rough day, the team couldn't cover his mistakes and they all resulted in losses.

Can't pin the losses entirely on him, but for his own part - that has to clean itself up. The cat game is a prime example. 3 quarters of good Sneed = Griz winning and in control. 1 quarter of bad Sneed = well... we know the result. Again, that loss isn't entirely on him or any one player, but its something you can attribute to the end result.

He (And you WRs) made some clutch plays on 3rd and long over and over and over again. It was maddening for a Cat fan.

poorgriz said:
BWahlberg said:
behappp said:

He (And you WRs) made some clutch plays on 3rd and long over and over and over again. It was maddening for a Cat fan.

Not as maddening as the final play was for Griz fans. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil:

AZGrizFan said:
argh! said:
fanofzoo said:
argh! said:

I didn't realize Jim Brown and Franco Harris were stiff, old white guys...who knew? :? :?

Totaly. Bronko Nagurski is a much better comparison.

AZGrizFan said:
argh! said:
fanofzoo said:
argh! said:

Thanks for laugh AZ!

Reynolds wasn't stiff at all. Had great vision, power, speed and sharp moves (not jukes) and altering of direction.

I tend to agree with AZDoc on Eastwood. I had felt all along that Eastwood had strength, speed and good hands, but lacked moves/cuts. Doc's more detailed description made sense to me.

My opinion, without one shred of evidence which is exactly like 99% of what is posted here, is that AE was coached to get pads low and get whatever yards he could. The weakness of the OL was well known and spending a whole lot of time trying to find that gaping hole was not going to result in much. I am in the camp that believes the AE skeptics will be won over when the Griz have an OL that can make second level blocks. No he will never be a Yohance Humphery but will be a very productive back that will get the yards the Griz need.

Back