• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring ball discussion: Offense

alabamagrizzly said:
'68griz said:
AZDoc said:
garizzalies said:
You’re wasting your breath, er thoughts. Time! Trust me; I’ve tried.
Some guys can tell he lacks vision and can’t find the hole. They can see better than he can. It’s clear as a bell on their grainy laptop

I played RB in college. He is a 1 cut back, period. Stats were similar but different styles. Those that can’t see that are wasting their breath, er thoughts. With last years line, he has big runs that made his stats look better. Calhoun was a better back when in there because was better getting something out of nothing. With a better line, Eastwood may be a better back because there is an open hole for him to hit and not have to improvise. My grainy laptop sees that just fine.
Thanks, Doc. Eastwood just doesn't have 'it.'

If we could only get Barry Sanders, we wouldn’t even need a line. Why can’t every RB be that good?
This is so funny to me right now. Not because I think that's what AzDoc was implying however...

I'm a part of a Vikings message board and someone honestly started a thread asking why Cousins wasn't as good as Tom Brady! Kirk fucking Cousins and the GOAT.

I maintain that video games are making fans completely irrational any more when it comes to sports. Every expert thinks that because they can call a game on Madden they are head coach material. Or because they rushed for 200 yards and 3 td's with CJ Anderson instead of Todd Gurley they think the Rams should have done the same thing in the Superbowl.

You make the best with what you have and every player isn't going to be the 2nd coming of a hall-of-famer....

SoldierGriz said:
Eastwood was a freshman RB last year. He was a workhorse, and we are lucky to have him back. He will be a big part of RTD... as long as Germer can get his act together, which remains to be seen.

Eastwood played extremely dinged up the last third of the season. Hope he is healthy and plays behind a better line in 2019 so he can be judged fairly for his performance. With our poor OL last year, I felt a young Eastwood waited too long to hit the holes that were open for a split-second and then quickly closed. Calhoun hit those small openings fast and hard and that was the difference to me. I think Eastwood is just going to get better.

AZDoc said:
garizzalies said:
mtgrizfankb said:
reinell30 said:
I hope I am dead wrong about Eastwood and he becomes a great back. I have read too many comments on here thru the last 12 months about how poor our running game is and that we need running backs. Got to have running backs in this recruiting class. If this is true, there are many people on here that share my opinion about Eastwood.

Janacaro is the man! Count on it!

What if I told you we had a back on our roster that had as good of a year and Jeremy Calhoun did his junior year when he got all the hype....

What if I told you there are stats to prove it....

What if I told you that was Adam Eastwood last year
Some guys can tell he lacks vision and can’t find the hole. They can see better than he can. It’s clear as a bell on their grainy laptop

I played RB in college. He is a 1 cut back, period. Stats were similar but different styles. Those that can’t see that are wasting their breath, er thoughts. With last years line, he has big runs that made his stats look better. Calhoun was a better back when in there because was better getting something out of nothing. With a better line, Eastwood may be a better back because there is an open hole for him to hit and not have to improvise. My grainy laptop sees that just fine.
So was Chase a one cut back, period? Or do you think his line had anything to do with his vision?

go96griz said:
SoldierGriz said:
Eastwood was a freshman RB last year. He was a workhorse, and we are lucky to have him back. He will be a big part of RTD... as long as Germer can get his act together, which remains to be seen.

Eastwood played extremely dinged up the last third of the season. Hope he is healthy and plays behind a better line in 2019 so he can be judged fairly for his performance. With our poor OL last year, I felt a young Eastwood waited too long to hit the holes that were open for a split-second and then quickly closed. Calhoun hit those small openings fast and hard and that was the difference to me. I think Eastwood is just going to get better.

Agree completely. Can’t wait for AE to make folks here eat their words.

garizzalies said:
AZDoc said:
garizzalies said:
mtgrizfankb said:
What if I told you we had a back on our roster that had as good of a year and Jeremy Calhoun did his junior year when he got all the hype....

So was Chase a one cut back, period? Or do you think his line had anything to do with his vision?

I would say Reynolds was primarily one-cut & could make minor course corrections during runs to get him by defenders. He saw the field like few others do. He could also lower a shoulder & get a tough yard. He didn’t have to run up anyone’s back because those lines could block, neither Eastwood or Calhoun had that luxury.

[media]https://youtu.be/7MNCF-hN7tQ[/media]

garizzalies said:
AZDoc said:
garizzalies said:
mtgrizfankb said:

Chase's vision was very evident when he was past the line in open space. Like Mariani, truly elite. He saw angles and lanes others could not see. At the line of scrimmage, he had patience and trust for his blockers. Yeah, his blockers were better than what we have now, but CR made them better. He was levels above what we have for RBs now.

garizzalies said:
AZDoc said:
garizzalies said:
mtgrizfankb said:

he was more a 1 cut back, but had some lateral movement. Not like Yo or Lex, but some. He was also powerful and his line was good. Exactly the point of a previous post I made. I think Eastwood will be serviceable. He's not an all time great, but his style is NOT what they needed last year with that line. Improvement of the line may help with his style. I'm not bashing anyone, just making the point that some people think he's bad or "he's a freshman". Nope, he was neither. He was a style back and wasn't perfect for the offense. Better line play will help his style. Some can agree, some can disagree...just my uneducated opinion.

AZDoc said:
garizzalies said:
AZDoc said:
garizzalies said:

he was more a 1 cut back, but had great vision and some lateral movement. Not like Yo or Lex, but some. He was also powerful and his line was good. Exactly the point of a previous post I made. I think Eastwood will be serviceable. He's not an all time great, but his style is NOT what they needed last year with that line. Improvement of the line may help with his style. I'm not bashing anyone, just making the point that some people think he's bad or "he's a freshman". Nope, he was neither. He was a style back and wasn't perfect for the offense. Better line play will help his style. Some can agree, some can disagree...just my uneducated opinion.

I for one am excited to see how our young Griz develop this spring. I don't think the running back position is as bad as many seem to think Eastwood will be a good back as he was for much of the year last year. Our young guys have a ton of potential. Turner could be the real deal. Let's hope he gets some reps. I still think Graves is a QB, but if made into a RB, I think he can be a difference maker as well. Just a great competitor. Janacaro also has ability to great. Should be a fun spring season to see what we come up with. And of course the new JUCO transfer may be an asset as well.

QB should be in good hands with Sneed. I really think Graves is going to push Humphries for the #2 spot. Hopefully they find another position for Wilson. I don't think he'll ever see field as a legit QB.

kemajic said:
garizzalies said:
AZDoc said:
garizzalies said:

Chase's vision was very evident when he was past the line in open space. Like Mariani, truly elite. He saw angles and lanes others could not see. At the line of scrimmage, he had patience and trust for his blockers. Yeah, his blockers were better than what we have now, but CR made them better. He was levels above what we have for RBs now.

Not to mention, as the video shows, some pretty good down field blocking by receivers and lineman. Almost like they expected him to hit the second level on every carry.

kemajic said:
garizzalies said:
AZDoc said:
garizzalies said:

Watching him fake that all-world LB or safety from App State during the playoff game was absolutely priceless. He's STILL looking for his jockstrap...

The other thing about Chase was his nose for the end zone. Unmatched. Calhoun showed well at this, too, but Chase was in another league. If he needed 5 yards for a TD, he found a way to get 5 1/2--routinely.

I'm going to go ahead and say we will get a good look at our backup QB this year. Sneed was super lucky to not miss much game time due to injury. Smaller guy who runs....it's going to happen. I hope QB2 is ready to roll this year!

hubcap said:
He hasn't yet. Doubt he will either.

thank you....i really like his game at linebacker (le Texier).....i hope they use him at full back if they keep him there....it's a waste in talent for him not to be on the field somewhere imo....

i always thought that reynolds ran like a stiff, old white guy who defenders couldn't quite figure out, because they typically never saw such a runner. his lack of fluidity makes one think he's going to accidentally fall down on his own half the time, but he always kept upright and moving forward.

AZGrizFan said:
jcu27 said:
AZGrizFan said:
jcu27 said:
We need a couple huge DL and a couple speedy DEs. The whole line needs to improve dramatically.

This. Where’s Saenz when you need him?

I was clearly just responding to that guys post about DL.. reading comprehension?? I know the topic is about offense but he brought it up.

I was agreeing with you. Get the sand out of your vagina.

Yeah I actually meant to quote the guy that said "offense?? c'mon man" my bad :(

Back