• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz in the AFF

PDXGrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:
BDizzle said:
uofmman1122 said:
If they ever get any real money behind it, it might eventually give some of the best high school prospects a better ($$$) track to the NFL than the NCAA.

They also have the rule you have to be out of high school for three years. So unless that changes, you won't see your scenario happen.
That makes sense, I didn't know they had the same rule as the NFL.

If they got rid of that rule, I think they could easily threaten the NCAA for the best high school recruits (who then could actually be paid what they deserve).

Even the NBA got away from recruiting out of high school. The advantages of being in college (regardless of pay) are much greater for athletes than just going out at 18. They have a chance to develop, they have a chance to learn, and they also get a chance to mature. Half of NFL players have degrees. With the average time from rich to broke after football being 3.3 years, that education is paramount. It would be awful if the NFL or AFF started going after high school kids.

Actually the NBA is really considering dropping the one and done and thinking of allowing high school kids again. Big mistake I think but baseball is by far the worst at it.

alabamagrizzly said:
PDXGrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:
BDizzle said:
They also have the rule you have to be out of high school for three years. So unless that changes, you won't see your scenario happen.

If they got rid of that rule, I think they could easily threaten the NCAA for the best high school recruits (who then could actually be paid what they deserve).

Even the NBA got away from recruiting out of high school. The advantages of being in college (regardless of pay) are much greater for athletes than just going out at 18. They have a chance to develop, they have a chance to learn, and they also get a chance to mature. Half of NFL players have degrees. With the average time from rich to broke after football being 3.3 years, that education is paramount. It would be awful if the NFL or AFF started going after high school kids.

Actually the NBA is really considering dropping the one and done and thinking of allowing high school kids again. Big mistake I think but baseball is by far the worst at it.

The Baseball system is probably the best, IMHO - you can join the well developed minor league system out of HS (much easier to adjust at low minors) or you can go to college - either JC (must graduate) or 4-year school (not eligible to be drafted again for 3 years).

The NBA should use this system.

Football players aren't ready physically for the pros at 18

dbackjon said:
alabamagrizzly said:
PDXGrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:

The Baseball system is probably the best, IMHO - you can join the well developed minor league system out of HS (much easier to adjust at low minors) or you can go to college - either JC (must graduate) or 4-year school (not eligible to be drafted again for 3 years).

The NBA should use this system.

Football players aren't ready physically for the pros at 18

And neither are most baseball players. That's why you know the names of people like Robin Young and Bryce Harper. Those guys are few and far between....the baseball system is almost perfect.

alabamagrizzly said:
PDXGrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:
BDizzle said:

I think letting hoops kids go in right from high school is the right call. The guys that are ready to play right away are so far and between that the only thing I think it's doing is hurting college basketball.

Why force kids that are clearly ready to pretend to attend class for 6 months before they do what they ultimately were going to do anyway?

Football I can understand because it would be a safety issue first and foremost. But in the NBA, the size is only part of the equation. Skill trumps all. So what does it really gain from watching Zion Williams play a few months at Duke before being the #1 pick? Nothing. Except he makes Duke really really fun to watch...

ilovethecats said:
alabamagrizzly said:
PDXGrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:

I think letting hoops kids go in right from high school is the right call. The guys that are ready to play right away are so far and between that the only thing I think it's doing is hurting college basketball.

Why force kids that are clearly ready to pretend to attend class for 6 months before they do what they ultimately were going to do anyway?

Football I can understand because it would be a safety issue first and foremost. But in the NBA, the size is only part of the equation. Skill trumps all. So what does it really gain from watching Zion Williams play a few months at Duke before being the #1 pick? Nothing. Except he makes Duke really really fun to watch...

Agreed. Not to mention that if I'm a one-and-done, I'm not going to any more Psych 101 lectures after March Madness is over. That can't do wonders for APR.

CDAGRIZ said:
ilovethecats said:
alabamagrizzly said:
PDXGrizzly said:

Agreed. Not to mention that if I'm a one-and-done, I'm not going to any more Psych 101 lectures after March Madness is over. That can't do wonders for APR.
Absolutely.

I'll try to find it but I recallreading an article about how bad one and done is in so many areas but the APR was a huge one. You're a kid who knows he's a lottery pick in June...are you really all that worried about school once March Madness is done? Hell, most of them do just enough to stay eligible throughout the season and I'm sure there are a bunch of loopholes there too.

One and done sucks for the kids good enough to be in the NBA, and it sucks for college hoops.

uofmman1122 said:
grizband said:
Grizzoola said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see the AAF become a minor league for the NFL.
I believe that's partially the intent, rather than compete directly with the NFL.
If they ever get any real money behind it, it might eventually give some of the best high school prospects a better ($$$) track to the NFL than the NCAA.

They play on Sundays, broadcast by CBS. Loaded with lower level NFL talent, or wannabees, play in large and poorly attended stadiums. Sounds just like the Jets, Cardinals, Raiders, '49ers....

ilovethecats said:
alabamagrizzly said:
PDXGrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:

Spending a year learning from Coach K has got to be a huge waste of time, right?

cclarkblues said:
ilovethecats said:
alabamagrizzly said:
PDXGrizzly said:

Spending a year learning from Coach K has got to be a huge waste of time, right?

When a #1 pick makes $6.8 million, and a #15 pick makes about $3 million, I'd say it is a waste of time if the alternative is $0 and 6 months of GE courses.

CDAGRIZ said:
cclarkblues said:
ilovethecats said:
alabamagrizzly said:

When a #1 pick makes $6.8 million, and a #15 pick makes about $3 million, I'd say it is a waste of time if the alternative is $0 and 6 months of GE courses.

I believe that studying under Coach K for a year and really learning the game of basketball is well worth the money.

cclarkblues said:
CDAGRIZ said:
cclarkblues said:
ilovethecats said:

I believe that studying under Coach K for a year and really learning the game of basketball is well worth the money.
Put it this way - you have a job and they say, hey, study this thing for 6 months and then make 3 million dollars. You have another job offer on the table, you can learn on the fly and make double your money right away. Easy choice for me. Pay me my money.

cclarkblues said:
CDAGRIZ said:
cclarkblues said:
ilovethecats said:

Coach K is great. I’m sure guys could learn from him. Hell, I’m sure Lebron James has learned from him. That’s great. You know who else knows a little something about basketball? NBA basketball coaches. And NBA assistant basketball coaches. And NBA players.

It’s completely useless to make high school players who would be lottery picks in the NBA go to school for half a year just because they would play for a good college coach. That doesn’t make sense.

A great golfer could learn a shit-ton from great college coaches too but if they can make millions out of the gate and win events should we really make a rule that says they need at least a year in college? What does that do?

College hoops would be better for it and individual players would benefit as well if they have the goods.

cclarkblues said:
CDAGRIZ said:
cclarkblues said:
ilovethecats said:

Coach K might be losing out, then. He should quit coaching and charge the the 10 best HS recruits 2.5 million apiece to teach them how to play basketball for 9 months.

CDAGRIZ said:
cclarkblues said:
CDAGRIZ said:
cclarkblues said:

Coach K might be losing out, then. He should quit coaching and charge the the 10 best HS recruits 2.5 million apiece to teach them how to play basketball for 9 months.

:thumb:

CDAGRIZ said:
cclarkblues said:
ilovethecats said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Don't quite understand the #1 vs #15. Is a kid more likely to be #1 coming out of high school or after a year of college? I would think it would improve his draft potential.

cclarkblues said:
CDAGRIZ said:
cclarkblues said:
ilovethecats said:

Don't quite understand the #1 vs #15. Is a kid more likely to be #1 coming out of high school or after a year of college? I would think it would improve his draft potential.

Oh, I was just trying to outline that one not need be a top 10 pick to make millions in his rookie year versus zero in college.

Obviously, #1 only goes to one guy. So, #15 out of HS with two years of earnings makes almost as much as a dude who spent a year taking classes hoping to be #1. This ignores time value of money and potential endorsement coin for the hypothetical dude who was allowed to skip his one fall semester of college coursework in favor of the draft.

Further, I don't think it's an absolute that a top HS prospect's draft profile rises with one year in college. Especially when NBA teams draft on potential and seek to shape players as is evident in recent years. Put another way, if you're making a multi-million dollar investment in a player, would you rather have him in your system a year early, or have him go play a different game for a year for a coach you cannot control? One year of college isn't always better.

cclarkblues said:
CDAGRIZ said:
cclarkblues said:
ilovethecats said:

Might help some guys. Though being forced to go to school and suffering an injury could ruin their career.

If guys need college to improve their stock then they should go to school. But there’s a lot of guys that don’t need that. Ayton wasn’t the #1 pick last year because he went to Arizona. We was the top pick despite that. Zion isn’t going to be the #1 pick because he went to Duke. He’s going to be the top pick because he’s ready. He was ready last year. Hell he was probably ready his sophomore year in high school!

I think most guys need college. But I think there are some every year that don’t need it. And I do t think they should be forced to go to school and pretend to go to class for 5 months before ultimately leaving like should have been able to do from the beginning.

ilovethecats said:
cclarkblues said:
CDAGRIZ said:
cclarkblues said:

Might help some guys. Though being forced to go to school and suffering an injury could ruin their career.

If guys need college to improve their stock then they should go to school. But there’s a lot of guys that don’t need that. Ayton wasn’t the #1 pick last year because he went to Arizona. We was the top pick despite that. Zion isn’t going to be the #1 pick because he went to Duke. He’s going to be the top pick because he’s ready. He was ready last year. Hell he was probably ready his sophomore year in high school!

I think most guys need college. But I think there are some every year that don’t need it. And I do t think they should be forced to go to school and pretend to go to class for 5 months before ultimately leaving like should have been able to do from the beginning.

Great points.

No 18 year old is ready for the NBA....ever. The lack of basic skill level contributes to the NBA continuing to slide into oblivion. Guys can’t hit free throws, post or even drive. Some of today’s biggest “stars” simply play pass the ball, until they can take a 3 pt play. I guess exciting for some fans but for me the lack of skills and 3 pt shooting has destroyed the game.

A system like the minor leagues in baseball would be perfect. They have alternatives from college, plus get paid but even better can learn wtf they are doing.

ordigger said:
No 18 year old is ready for the NBA....ever. The lack of basic skill level contributes to the NBA continuing to slide into oblivion. Guys can’t hit free throws, post or even drive. Some of today’s biggest “stars” simply play pass the ball, until they can take a 3 pt play. I guess exciting for some fans but for me the lack of skills and 3 pt shooting has destroyed the game.

A system like the minor leagues in baseball would be perfect. They have alternatives from college, plus get paid but even better can learn wtf they are doing.

Agreed. Though I find it... interesting that when it comes to non athletic paying jobs or hell, even inventing something, you can start making your money whenever you want. You aren't required to spend x amount of time in school or whatever. Granted I think some of those pro athlete restrictions are needed for physical maturity - especially in football.

Back