• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring ball discussion: Offense

70Griz said:
Nice work, Brint. :thumb: Two major concerns from me. One, we need a nasty, edge rushing DE - never did have that consistently last year. And two, I'm really nervous about our backup QB's. I hope someone will be able to really push Sneed, and we end up with a great backup QB.

We need a couple huge DL and a couple speedy DEs. The whole line needs to improve dramatically.

jcu27 said:
70Griz said:
Nice work, Brint. :thumb: Two major concerns from me. One, we need a nasty, edge rushing DE - never did have that consistently last year. And two, I'm really nervous about our backup QB's. I hope someone will be able to really push Sneed, and we end up with a great backup QB.

We need a couple huge DL and a couple speedy DEs. The whole line needs to improve dramatically.

Offense? C’mon man. :lol:

I'm really looking forward to Sneed improving his accuracy and consistency too. If he can lock in with this WR crew, not only on the 10-15 yd throws, but on the 20 yd+ throws, we will score a ton of points.

jcu27 said:
70Griz said:

This. Where’s Saenz when you need him?

reinell30 said:
I hope I am dead wrong about Eastwood and he becomes a great back. I have read too many comments on here thru the last 12 months about how poor our running game is and that we need running backs. Got to have running backs in this recruiting class. If this is true, there are many people on here that share my opinion about Eastwood.

Janacaro is the man! Count on it!

What if I told you we had a back on our roster that had as good of a year and Jeremy Calhoun did his junior year when he got all the hype....

What if I told you there are stats to prove it....

What if I told you that was Adam Eastwood last year

mtgrizfankb said:
reinell30 said:
I hope I am dead wrong about Eastwood and he becomes a great back. I have read too many comments on here thru the last 12 months about how poor our running game is and that we need running backs. Got to have running backs in this recruiting class. If this is true, there are many people on here that share my opinion about Eastwood.

What if I told you we had a back on our roster that had as good of a year and Jeremy Calhoun did his junior year when he got all the hype....

You’re wasting your breath, er thoughts. Time! Trust me; I’ve tried.
Some guys can tell he lacks vision and can’t find the hole. They can see better than he can. It’s clear as a bell on their grainy laptop

The hole some think was there was rapidly shut with oline guys getting manhandled in the middle

go96griz said:
dayday said:
Coaches are really high on trying Cy Sirmon at Center this spring because of his athleticism and smarts. They may have to bring him back over to DL if the depth isn’t there, This will be an interesting Spring to see how some guys progress. I don’t think this offense will be too bad off by the start of Fall camp if the OL continues to improve and they add another RB.

Heard Cy played all last season at 270. He came back after winter break at 290 intent on playing OL.

Well where ever he plays just have to really for the guy. Super hard worker with a great attitude. Willing to do whatever for the team. He is going to be a great leader for us next year.

garizzalies said:
mtgrizfankb said:
reinell30 said:

Some guys can tell he lacks vision and can’t find the hole. They can see better than he can. It’s clear as a bell on their grainy laptop

I played RB in college. He is a 1 cut back, period. Stats were similar but different styles. Those that can’t see that are wasting their breath, er thoughts. With last years line, he has big runs that made his stats look better. Calhoun was a better back when in there because was better getting something out of nothing. With a better line, Eastwood may be a better back because there is an open hole for him to hit and not have to improvise. My grainy laptop sees that just fine.

AZDoc said:
garizzalies said:
mtgrizfankb said:
reinell30 said:

I played RB in college. He is a 1 cut back, period. Stats were similar but different styles. Those that can’t see that are wasting their breath, er thoughts. With last years line, he has big runs that made his stats look better. Calhoun was a better back when in there because was better getting something out of nothing. With a better line, Eastwood may be a better back because there is an open hole for him to hit and not have to improvise. My grainy laptop sees that just fine.
Thanks, Doc. Eastwood just doesn't have 'it.'

With the OL we had last year, it doesn’t make much difference who you have at RB. In fact, it may have been better if there wasn’t an OL last year as they usually got in the way of the RB’s because they couldn’t block.

Eastwood was a freshman RB last year. He was a workhorse, and we are lucky to have him back. He will be a big part of RTD... as long as Germer can get his act together, which remains to be seen.

AZGrizFan said:
jcu27 said:
70Griz said:

I was clearly just responding to that guys post about DL.. reading comprehension?? I know the topic is about offense but he brought it up.

What will ever happen with Longoria? OL or DL...personally I think an immediate need is on the d-line unless we get another Shaw.

As far as the offense goes a big factor is can we keep Sneed healthy and can we hold on to the ball.

Go Griz!

nzone said:
What will ever happen with Longoria? OL or DL...personally I think an immediate need is on the d-line unless we get another Shaw.

As far as the offense goes a big factor is can we keep Sneed healthy and can we hold on to the ball.

Go Griz!

He is still listed as an OL and hangs out with that position group. Things could change come Spring ball though. Sacks is really recruiting for a transfer guy or two to come in summer too.

SoldierGriz said:
Eastwood was a freshman RB last year. He was a workhorse, and we are lucky to have him back. He will be a big part of RTD... as long as Germer can get his act together, which remains to be seen.
I agree about Eastwood. I don’t know what to think about Germer.

'68griz said:
AZDoc said:
garizzalies said:
mtgrizfankb said:

If we could only get Barry Sanders, we wouldn’t even need a line. Why can’t every RB be that good?

alabamagrizzly said:
'68griz said:
AZDoc said:
garizzalies said:

If we could only get Barry Sanders, we wouldn’t even need a line. Why can’t every RB be that good?

Wow...I'm not saying he is bad, far from it. My point is that he's a 1 cut type back. Different type runner than Calhoun was, and not the type we needed last season. As the O-line improves, he may be a 1 cut and blast through an actual hole for 12 yards. He is NOT a look for a hole and hit it guy. Simple fact, and one that, yes I understand because I played the game...and even the same position. I understand it's difficult to see the hole sometimes, or it closes a bit quicker than you expect, but there are also different types of runners. That is really the situation here.

jcu27 said:
AZGrizFan said:
jcu27 said:
70Griz said:

I was clearly just responding to that guys post about DL.. reading comprehension?? I know the topic is about offense but he brought it up.

I was agreeing with you. Get the sand out of your vagina.

dayday said:
nzone said:

Go Griz!

He is still listed as an OL and hangs out with that position group. Things could change come Spring ball though. Sacks is really recruiting for a transfer guy or two to come in summer too.

As long as ONE of those happens, I'm good with it. But if NEITHER happen, gonna be a LOOOOONG season without a middle of the line run stuffer.....

Back