• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz in the AFF

Bertram

eGriz Club
DONOR
A couple former Griz have landed on rosters of Alliance of American Football teams (https://aaf.com/). Ryan McKinley will play for the Memphis Express, and Robert Luke for the Salt Lake Stallions.

A few other Big Sky (and MVFC) players on the various rosters too, as well as a few NAIA Montanans too.

Neither of the above mentioned seem to be on active rosters as the season begins this weekend.
But as mentioned elsewhere on here Tyrone Holmes is now on the San Antonio Commander's roster.

...along with 49 other FCS players

FCS Players on AAF Rosters

Eastern Conference

Atlanta Legends (Coach Kevin Coyle)

Khalil Bass, LB, Portland State; Tyson Graham Jr., DB, South Dakota; Garrett Hudson, TE, Richmond; Carlos Merritt, DB, Campbell; Cameron Nizialek, P, Columbia; Peter Pujals, QB, Holy Cross; Matthew Schmidt, OL, Furman

Birmingham Iron (Coach Tim Lewis)

Aaron Adeoye, DE, Southeast Missouri State; Elijah Campbell, DB, Northern Iowa; Connor Davis, TE, Stony Brook; Larson Graham, OT, Duquesne; Jacob Hagen, DB, Liberty; Shaheed Salmon, LB, Samford; Colton Schmidt, P, UC Davis

Memphis Express (Coach Mike Singletary)

Brandon Barnes, TE, Alabama State; Terrell Bonds, DB, Tennessee State; Malik Boynton, DB, Austin Peay; Dontez Byrd, WR, Tennessee Tech; Jessamen Dunker, OG, Tennessee State; Montori Hughes, DT, UT Martin; Charles James II, DB, Charleston Southern; Brandon Maiden, DB, Jackson State; Anthony Manzo-Lewis, FB, Albany; Anthony Morris, OT, Tennessee State; Robert Myers, OG, Tennessee State; Demetrius Rhaney, C, Tennessee State; Davis Tull, LB, Chattanooga

Orlando Apollos (Coach Steve Spurrier)

Kevin Anderson, QB, Fordham; Andrew Ankrah, DE, James Madison; Jerome Couplin III, LB, William & Mary; Ryan Davis Sr., DE, Bethune-Cookman; Ishmael Hyman, WR, James Madison

Western Conference

Arizona Hotshots (Coach Rick Neuheisel)

Siupeli Anau, DT, Northern Arizona; Jack Heneghan, QB, Dartmouth; Andrew Lauderdale, OL, New Hampshire; Jacob Ohnesorge, C, South Dakota State; Sione Teuhema, LB, Southeastern Louisiana; Alex Thompson, OL, Monmouth

Salt Lake Stallions (Coach Dennis Erickson)

Karter Schult, DE, Northern Iowa; Ed Shockley, LB, Villanova; C.J. Smith, DB, North Dakota State; Josh Woodrum, QB, Liberty

San Antonio Commanders (Coach Mike Riley)

Winston Craig, DT, Richmond; Tyrone Holmes, LB, Montana; Darnell Leslie, LB, Monmouth; Arthur Miley, DL, Southern; Joseph Zema, P, Incarnate Word

San Diego Fleet (Coach Mike Martz)

Brian Brown, WR, Richmond; Kendall James, DB, Maine; Alex Ross, QB, Coastal Carolina; Justin Williams, DB, Hampton
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20190204112447287067504&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

AZGrizFan said:
That's quite the list of head coaches...
Indeed, Tyrone Holmes' team has Matt Troxel on board at the OC /QB coaching spot too

Here’s Tyrone’s schedule.

San Antonio’s schedule
Sat Feb 9th @ 6pm CBS
Sun Feb 17th @ 2pm CBS Sports Network
Sun Feb 24th @ 6pm NFL Network
Sun Mar 3rd @ 2pm CBS Sports Network
Sun Mar 10th @ 6pm NFL Network
Sun Mar 17th @ 2pm CBS Sports Network
Sat Mar 23rd @ 6pm NFL Network
Sun Mar 31st @ 6pm NFL Network
Sat Apr 6th @ 2pm Bleacher Report Live
Fri Apr 12th @ 6pm Bleacher Report Live

I’m pretty sure most of these networks have their own additional fees except the CBS game which is showing two games at the same time. Not sure how that works.

HookedonGriz said:
Holmes had a nice sack early coming off the edge

btXmCCq.jpg

Grizzoola said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see the AAF become a minor league for the NFL.
I believe that's partially the intent, rather than compete directly with the NFL.

grizband said:
Grizzoola said:
I believe that's partially the intent, rather than compete directly with the NFL.
If they ever get any real money behind it, it might eventually give some of the best high school prospects a better ($$$) track to the NFL than the NCAA.

The way the teams get players is interesting. From ESPN,

“the league figured out the top 30 NFL-producing colleges over the past 10 seasons (USC is No. 1), and gave each team three high-producing schools. Then they gave teams up to 30 other area schools in a certain range to pull allocations from.

If a player doesn't fit that grouping, they also assigned four NFL teams to each AAF team; if a player played for a team or was in training camp with a team, then his rights were given to the respective AAF team. This was done with both geographic and population data (for instance, San Antonio has the Cowboys, Texans, Chiefs and Eagles).

There is also at least one CFL team assigned to each team. If a player hits none of these lists, then there was a first-come, first-served rights list of 25 players. If multiple teams put in a request for the same player, they went by their waiver list.” (ESPN)

uofmman1122 said:
grizband said:
Grizzoola said:
If they ever get any real money behind it, it might eventually give some of the best high school prospects a better ($$$) track to the NFL than the NCAA.

They also have the rule you have to be out of high school for three years. So unless that changes, you won't see your scenario happen.

BDizzle said:
uofmman1122 said:
grizband said:
Grizzoola said:

They also have the rule you have to be out of high school for three years. So unless that changes, you won't see your scenario happen.
That makes sense, I didn't know they had the same rule as the NFL.

If they got rid of that rule, I think they could easily threaten the NCAA for the best high school recruits (who then could actually be paid what they deserve).

uofmman1122 said:
BDizzle said:
uofmman1122 said:
grizband said:

That makes sense, I didn't know they had the same rule as the NFL.

If they got rid of that rule, I think they could easily threaten the NCAA for the best high school recruits (who then could actually be paid what they deserve).

Even the NBA got away from recruiting out of high school. The advantages of being in college (regardless of pay) are much greater for athletes than just going out at 18. They have a chance to develop, they have a chance to learn, and they also get a chance to mature. Half of NFL players have degrees. With the average time from rich to broke after football being 3.3 years, that education is paramount. It would be awful if the NFL or AFF started going after high school kids.

Back