• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Statement from Jeremy Calhoun

br fan said:
PlayerRep said:
br fan said:
PlayerRep said:
It means that Hauck, then, did not inherit a cadillac or a ferrari. Why is that hard for some of you to understand.

Hauck inherited a team that had just set an FCS record for consecutive wins before it lost 3 of its last 4, primarily due to injuries, and who had been to the national championship the two prior years. That team had holes it needed need to fill, but all teams do when they enter a new year, and I think you're minimizing what Hauck did inherit.

What were the injuries?

The major one was probably John Edwards. He played through it, but there was a reason for his performance at the end of that year including the 1-10 showing against the Cats. If you're interested, here's a link to the 2002 roster that lists who Hauck inherited from that team, and there's a lot of Grizzly greats on it.

https://gogriz.com/roster.aspx?roster=117&path=

You know what really stands out with that team? O-line. It's becoming a dead horse over here, but it's true....got to have the bigs upfront to set the tone, protect the QB, and run out the clock.

SoldierGriz said:
Merkleman said:
CatzWillRise said:
Not saying we'd need/want this, or that this would ever have a snowball's chance in hell of happening, but could Calhoun technically pursue a graduate transfer to MSU? Would that supersede the Big Sky inter-transfer stipulations?

Won’t happen. Montana has to give permission. Bobby will tell him he is free to go anywhere he wants and if JC picks a big sky school he will renege on his word and prevent it from happening. Don’t believe it? Just ask me.

Ok. I'm asking you. How did BH prevent you from playing for the cats?
He can't take a lateral without graduating and getting into grad school in a program not offered at UM. Appears that's not close. He can only go down. Merkleman likes to attack BH, but that is a BSC rule; most conferences have the same. Moot point anyhow. He can go to CWU.

kemajic said:
SoldierGriz said:
Merkleman said:
CatzWillRise said:
Not saying we'd need/want this, or that this would ever have a snowball's chance in hell of happening, but could Calhoun technically pursue a graduate transfer to MSU? Would that supersede the Big Sky inter-transfer stipulations?

Won’t happen. Montana has to give permission. Bobby will tell him he is free to go anywhere he wants and if JC picks a big sky school he will renege on his word and prevent it from happening. Don’t believe it? Just ask me.

Ok. I'm asking you. How did BH prevent you from playing for the cats?
He can't take a lateral without graduating and getting into grad school in a program not offered at UM. Appears that's not close. He can only go down. Merkleman likes to attack BH, but that is a BSC rule; most conferences have the same. Moot point anyhow. He can go to CWU.

Due to ncaa rules, no FCS transfer, except a grad transfer, can go to another FCS school and play the next year, with permission from the former school's coach or not.

Merkleman said:
hilinegrizfan said:
Bobby is looking past this year and strategizing for next, and the next, and the next year. as he should be. the feelings of a senior running back on his way out of the program who chose not to play against Idaho and the cats is not his priority. nor should it be.

Having a plan and executing a plan are two different things. I believe he his a plan. I just dont know if its the right one. He is in un-chartered waters. This isnt the new Ferrari he inherited his 1st stint here that he had to just keep putting gas in to keep it going. This is more like a 95 Caddy with a good engine but needs new tires and a tune up.

Bobby now has a track record. He took over a team his 1st time around that was already established and he took over a team he was hired to build into a contender.
In the 1st instance he was able to keep a good thing going. In the 2nd he failed miserably. This current team is somewhere in the middle.

This team is likely to take another step backwards next year. Have you seen next years schedule? If similar things happen again next year that happened this year, 6 wins will be tough even with a 12 game schedule. I will give the benefit of the doubt that they dont have PSU moment next year. Tell me where the for sure wins are.

@South Dakota
North Alabama
@Oregon
Monmouth
@UC Davis
Idaho State
@Sac State
EWU
@PSU
Idaho
Weber State
@Montana State

Oh I agree, next year's schedule is tough. It doesn't really have anything to do with calhoun or what I said about bobby's strategy though. the schedule is what it is.

hilinegrizfan said:
Merkleman said:
hilinegrizfan said:
Bobby is looking past this year and strategizing for next, and the next, and the next year. as he should be. the feelings of a senior running back on his way out of the program who chose not to play against Idaho and the cats is not his priority. nor should it be.

Having a plan and executing a plan are two different things. I believe he his a plan. I just dont know if its the right one. He is in un-chartered waters. This isnt the new Ferrari he inherited his 1st stint here that he had to just keep putting gas in to keep it going. This is more like a 95 Caddy with a good engine but needs new tires and a tune up.

Bobby now has a track record. He took over a team his 1st time around that was already established and he took over a team he was hired to build into a contender.
In the 1st instance he was able to keep a good thing going. In the 2nd he failed miserably. This current team is somewhere in the middle.

This team is likely to take another step backwards next year. Have you seen next years schedule? If similar things happen again next year that happened this year, 6 wins will be tough even with a 12 game schedule. I will give the benefit of the doubt that they dont have PSU moment next year. Tell me where the for sure wins are.

@South Dakota
North Alabama
@Oregon
Monmouth
@UC Davis
Idaho State
@Sac State
EWU
@PSU
Idaho
Weber State
@Montana State

Oh I agree, next year's schedule is tough. It doesn't really have anything to do with calhoun or what I said about bobby's strategy though. the schedule is what it is.

Note that Pflu took over a team that had been 14-1 and 14-2, and in the national championship game both years, went to 7-4 his first year, and then took the team to the semifinals the next year.

PlayerRep said:
Note that Pflu took over a team that had been 14-1 and 14-2, and in the national championship game both years, went to 7-4 his first year, and then took the team to the semifinals the next year.

Well if we're sitting here this time next year gearing up for a semis game, we will all have been rightly and sufficiently shut up.

I won't hold my breath, though.

What’s so tough about next years schedule except Oregon? We have a good chance of winning all or most of the games. The Griz have the foundation of a good team with a few transfers to fill the holes. In addition, we have an excellent coaching staff.

Spanky2 said:
What’s so tough about next years schedule except Oregon? We have a good chance of winning all or most of the games. The Griz have the foundation of a good team with a few transfers to fill the holes. In addition, we have an excellent coaching staff.
Fewer fumbles and we will be golden.

Spanky2 said:

I see two tough games and then a couple of games we can win and then a bunch of games we should win.
could be 10-2 and worse case 8-4.

kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:

- picking up a yard on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1
- more FGs and PATs
- not going completely conservative in the second half every time we had a lead
- not getting outscored twice as much in the 4th Q

But yea, the fumbles should do the trick haha. We have a long ways to go and your savior has to get better, too.

Did you know we led going into the 4th Q in every game but one this year. They lost 4 of those games. I heard an interview that said from like 2010 to 2017 we had the lead going into the 4th Q like 70 times....you know how many we lost...5 games. This year is either quite the anomaly or shit coaching or shit execution or all the above.

HookedonGriz said:
kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:

- more FGs and PATs

But yea, the fumbles should do the trick haha. We have a long ways to go and your savior has to get better, too.
Don't hold your breath on that one.

That has been and likely will always be a Bobby Hauck staple, for better or worse.

NDSU has a similar philosophy, but they're so good it just seems like they continue to boatrace teams in the late 3rd and 4th quarters.
HookedonGriz said:
Did you know we led going into the 4th Q in every game but one this year. They lost 4 of those games. I heard an interview that said from like 2010 to 2017 we had the lead going into the 4th Q like 70 times....you know how many we lost...5 games. This year is either quite the anomaly or shit coaching or shit execution or all the above.
I wonder what devilishly clever and probably good-looking person crunched the numbers on that one... :lol: ;)

uofmman1122 said:
HookedonGriz said:
kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:

- more FGs and PATs

Don't hold your breath on that one.

That has been and likely will always be a Bobby Hauck staple, for better or worse.

NDSU has a similar philosophy, but they're so good it just seems like they continue to boatrace teams in the late 3rd and 4th quarters.
HookedonGriz said:
I wonder what devilishly clever and probably good-looking person crunched the numbers on that one... :lol: ;)

Credit where credit is due, that is some impressive stat crunching! It obviously caught my attention!

Spanky2 said:

I’m not saying you guys won’t win some games cause I expect you’ll be better. But on paper, if this isn’t considered a tough schedule by big sky standards I don’t know what is.

Twelve game schedule. FBS on he road. Almost all of them with winning records this season. Playing four playoff teams from this year. And a few teams you lost to this year.

Obviously next year is not this year. You guys could go 11-1. Hell maybe 12-0. But it looks to me that you guys play some pretty dang good teams next season.

ilovethecats said:
Spanky2 said:

I’m not saying you guys won’t win some games cause I expect you’ll be better. But on paper, if this isn’t considered a tough schedule by big sky standards I don’t know what is.

Twelve game schedule. FBS on he road. Almost all of them with winning records this season. Playing four playoff teams from this year. And a few teams you lost to this year.

Obviously next year is not this year. You guys could go 11-1. Hell maybe 12-0. But it looks to me that you guys play some pretty dang good teams next season.
We play the game to win, not just make an appearance. We always plan to beat everyone in the Big Sky.

Spanky2 said:
ilovethecats said:
Spanky2 said:

We play the game to win, not just make an appearance. We always plan to beat everyone in the Big Sky.
That’s a great mindset to have for sure! I just don’t think it means that all schedules are the same year after year.

ilovethecats said:
Spanky2 said:
ilovethecats said:
Spanky2 said:

That’s a great mindset to have for sure! I just don’t think it means that all schedules are the same year after year.
Also, all teams aren’t the same year after year.

Spanky2 said:
ilovethecats said:
Spanky2 said:
ilovethecats said:

Also, all teams aren’t the same year after year.

Agreed. Next year could be the toughest schedule um has ever played in their history. But if you believe that, then your first comment about the schedule not being hard aside from Oregon doesn’t make sense either right?

Cats-I believe Bobby will build a team of the North Dakota State caliber. Yes, it will take him 3 or 4 more years, but in the meantime it will be good for our development to play a tough schedule. By that, I mean Big Sky tough. If we are going to start winning the conference again, we should look to play all of the strong teams.

Spanky2 said:
Cats-I believe Bobby will build a team of the North Dakota State caliber. Yes, it will take him 3 or 4 more years, but in the meantime it will be good for our development to play a tough schedule. By that, I mean Big Sky tough. If we are going to start winning the conference again, we should look to play all of the strong teams.
I like the schedule for the same reason. Good conf home games to watch.

Back