• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Offensive Line

AZGrizFan said:
Walkon79 said:
Spanky2 said:
ilovethecats said:
Compared to some games of yours I watched early on where your line looked terrible, come cat griz I was actually pretty impressed. They improved a ton. Get some guys healthy and I don’t think this will be a position of huge concern for you going into 2019.

Maybe we didn’t watch the same game?

Maybe more a sign of conditioning than talent, IMO. The Cats OL and DL wore down their Griz counterparts in the second half.

Well, considering we were 10-1 if games had stopped after 3 quarters you might be onto something. :oops: :oops:
Conditioning and depth. Both sides of the line.

I think the team was very well-conditioned. Players I talked to said they had never been pushed so hard on conditioning. It had to have been the depth.

Hauck commented on lack of depth from the get-go. Also, he said after the first game that they had probably made a mistake playing too many players for too long, tiring them out, and then not having them with enough gas at the end. But they hung on in that game.

My guess is that due to lack of depth in certain positions, they weren't able to sub as much as they wanted to, to head off this late in the game problem. Recall that Hauck used to essentially platoon 2 teams on defense in his first stint.

As you know, I really can't imagine the the 4th quarter/late game problem was that the coaches forgot to coach as the game went on. Also, I noticed in the quarter by quarter opponent scoring stats recently that the Griz didn't give up many points in the 3d quarter this year. But, man, the 4th quarter was awful.

PlayerRep said:
I think the team was very well-conditioned. Players I talked to said they had never been pushed so hard on conditioning. It had to have been the depth.

Hauck commented on lack of depth from the get-go. Also, he said after the first game that they had probably made a mistake playing too many players for too long, tiring them out, and then not having them with enough gas at the end. But they hung on in that game.

My guess is that due to lack of depth in certain positions, they weren't able to sub as much as they wanted to, to head off this late in the game problem. Recall that Hauck used to essentially platoon 2 teams on defense in his first stint.

As you know, I really can't imagine the the 4th quarter/late game problem was that the coaches forgot to coach as the game went on. Also, I noticed in the quarter by quarter opponent scoring stats recently that the Griz didn't give up many points in the 3d quarter this year. But, man, the 4th quarter was awful.

Makes you wonder...especially in the last four games of the year....lots of true freshmen sitting unused on the bench. What’s worse a gassed starting LT or a fresh Tyler Ganoung? Or a fresh Sean Anderson? We saw what happened when Calhoun had to run two long routes back to back. He was beaten by 4 steps for an easy TD. Gotta think even a slightly less skilled player with fresh legs is gonna be more productive.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Makes you wonder...especially in the last four games of the year....lots of true freshmen sitting unused on the bench. What’s worse a gassed starting LT or a fresh Tyler Ganoung? Or a fresh Sean Anderson? We saw what happened when Calhoun had to run two long routes back to back. He was beaten by 4 steps for an easy TD. Gotta think even a slightly less skilled player with fresh legs is gonna be more productive.

I read an article - I can't find it anymore - that said Nebraska's starting offensive linemen played 95% of the snaps this season. Yes - I get Nebraska is down.

But, I'm not sure teams rotate offensive linemen the way they do defensive linemen. Depth is and obviously was an issue when dealing with injuries.

You don't see OL substitutions very often, with the main reason being that an OL must be very cohesive. And I don't really bye the "OL was tired excuse" for the very fact, that the OL pretty much works in a 5 yard area of space in short bursts.

grizindabox said:
You don't see OL substitutions very often, with the main reason being that an OL must be very cohesive. And I don't really bye the "OL was tired excuse" for the very fact, that the OL pretty much works in a 5 yard area of space in short bursts.

On the other hand, if an O-lineman is overmatched physically, you're durn tootin' that he will be tired by the fourth quarter. See: 4th Quarter 2018 Griz Meltdowns, Plural.

Happens when you're trying to put players who were not recruited as OL in as OL out of necessity when they M-I-G-H-T not have the size or skills to play on the OL at this level, no matter how much heart they have.

grizindabox said:

I’d agree with the continuity issue as being the critical factor in the number of snaps a lineman needs to play. But you’re wrong to think 65-85 instances of hand-to-hand combat in a no-huddle offense isn’t tiring.

bgbigdog said:
grizindabox said:

I’d agree with the continuity issue as being the critical factor in the number of snaps a lineman needs to play. But you’re wrong to think 65-85 instances of hand-to-hand combat in a no-huddle offense isn’t tiring.
Box probably never played the game.

Spanky2 said:
bgbigdog said:
grizindabox said:

played some OL in high school. late-game pass blocking wasn't nearly as difficult as late-game run blocking. often times, when you have the lead, (quality) late-game run blocking is the ticket to win.

Spanky2 said:
bgbigdog said:
grizindabox said:

Or Spanky hasn't played the game in over half a decade.

grizindabox said:
Spanky2 said:
bgbigdog said:
grizindabox said:

Decade?

CDAGRIZ said:
grizindabox said:
Spanky2 said:
bgbigdog said:

Decade?

Me thinks he meant “century”. :lol:

DAMN, it's official. The GRIZ have gone to hell, if Spanky is playing OL for us! Speaking of gone to hell, so has this thread.

Back