• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Statement from Jeremy Calhoun

Yes it is unfortunate, both for JC and the Griz. We are a better team with JC in the backfield (IMO) but if BH is moving on and JC is leaving, it doesn't much matter now. I'm with the coach (even though I might question his decision and/or handling of the situation) and support him going forward. All the rest is background noise. Go Griz!

uofmman1122 said:
Walkon79 said:
PlayerRep said:
grizband said:
I fully believe if the Griz beat the Cats, they would have been included in the playoffs.

Me too.

And probably with the same result. Beat UIW handily and get blasted by NDSU :)
I'd actually bet pretty heavily that they'd instead send us to Weber or EWU, since we didn't play either of them during the season.

Yeah I'm not sure why we didn't go to Davis then? Probably too low of a seed for the last team to get into the tourney.

Dutch Lane said:
kemajic said:
Dillon said:
PhxGriz said:
If Calhoun was so integral to Bobby's plans, why was he used only enough to lose a year of eligibility?
Because he was in the Dog house so to speak!
And had yet another concussion.

Kem, he just got blasted when he got the last concussion. The defender launched, led with crown of the helmet contacted above the shoulders, was textbook targeting but wasn’t called. I looked at it again before I posted this. Was a vicious illegal hit I believe anyone would have been concussed from that hit. Jc is a tough kid who played hard. Unlucky maybe, but certainly not soft or not tough. My understanding is that he was well thought of by pretty much everyone on the team and coaches except for BH. The majority of outgoing seniors and upper class men were not happy how jc was treated this past season and wanted him to come back next season to play. I’m thinking that his brother leaves also unfortunately.
Was at the game and agree with your assessment of the hit, which was just below us. Just when JC was starting to get into rhythm. But I have heard just the opposite from other players; very letdown that he was not committed with them for the two important rivalry games and chance for post-season. He had had his best game, was healthy and available. I would be very surprised to see Justin leave; is coming into his own as a corner. Doubt he wants to play DII.

Walkon79 said:
uofmman1122 said:
Walkon79 said:
PlayerRep said:

And probably with the same result. Beat UIW handily and get blasted by NDSU :)
I'd actually bet pretty heavily that they'd instead send us to Weber or EWU, since we didn't play either of them during the season.

Yeah I'm not sure why we didn't go to Davis then? Probably too low of a seed for the last team to get into the tourney.
That's what I was thinking, although by that logic, we might've been sent to NDSU, anyway.

I read an interview with Nick Saban regarding the new (and at the time of the interview upcoming) redshirt rule. Saban expressed concern that star athletes who, for whatever reason, weren't starting anymore, would be more likely to bolt to other teams. Given that college teams can't really go out on the "waiver wire" to find last-minute replacements for players who bolt after playing in four games, Saban expressed a desire for this to be a "mutual decision" between these players and their coaches.

Jesus, doesn't that guy even know that it's a coach's unilateral decision? He's not only weak, he's also dumb.

Go Griz! Fight on!

greasewood said:
While I don't think what Bobby did was right, all this boils down to the fact that Calhoun screwed himself. He got himself in trouble & got suspended for the first 2 games. What would've happened to our season if he never got in the bar fight & ended up the #1 back from game 1 on? He dug his own grave.

You are right. He didnt do himself any favors getting into trouble. The problem here is, on this thread everyone has selective memory and suggests had he not gotten in trouble things would have been different.

The thing thats missing is that you can go way back to winter and before spring. JC was moved down the depth chart before any problems ever occurred in favor of Eastwood, long before any practices took place.

Look it up. I posted on here back then this very thing. I knew the depth chart. I knew the handful of guys that Bobby decided screw with from day 1 and he was one of them.

Bobby better than anybody should have known what it means to be a Griz that had laid it on the line for their team, played with injuries etc. Unfortunately he forgot that when he came back and listed guys that never earned anything as a Griz as 1st team before a single practice and gave them all of the 1st team reps. Guys that never wore the uniform. Calhoun was dinged up for spring but he was bumped down before that happened.

Sends a pretty bad message to the guys that worked there but off for this team before that guys that never played here didnt have to earn that distinction.

Despite my feelings for Hauck I rooted for this team every week. I have gotten to know many of the players and became friends with some of there parents. In fact a couple of current players are coming down to Florida for a visit over Winter break. I want nothing but the best for the players.

Bobby is looking past this year and strategizing for next, and the next, and the next year. as he should be. the feelings of a senior running back on his way out of the program who chose not to play against Idaho and the cats is not his priority. nor should it be.

AllWeatherFan said:
I read an interview with Nick Saban regarding the new (and at the time of the interview upcoming) redshirt rule. Saban expressed concern that star athletes who, for whatever reason, weren't starting anymore, would be more likely to bolt to other teams. Given that college teams can't really go out on the "waiver wire" to find last-minute replacements for players who bolt after playing in four games, Saban expressed a desire for this to be a "mutual decision" between these players and their coaches.

Jesus, doesn't that guy even know that it's a coach's unilateral decision? He's not only weak, he's also dumb.

Go Griz! Fight on!

Ya, I wonder how Saban would have reacted if his starting rb had come into talk to him the week before the Georgia game.

Merkleman, I just searched for "Calhoun" and then "Jeremy" in your prior posts, and couldn't find the post you just mentioned. Can you locate that post? I was interested to see what you had said earlier in the year. Thank you in advance.

PlayerRep said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Go Griz! Fight on!

Ya, I wonder how Saban would have reacted if his starting rb had come into talk to him the week before the Georgia game.

Exactly - you gotta let those players know who's in charge, otherwise, it's anarchy.

hilinegrizfan said:
Bobby is looking past this year and strategizing for next, and the next, and the next year. as he should be. the feelings of a senior running back on his way out of the program who chose not to play against Idaho and the cats is not his priority. nor should it be.

Having a plan and executing a plan are two different things. I believe he his a plan. I just dont know if its the right one. He is in un-chartered waters. This isnt the new Ferrari he inherited his 1st stint here that he had to just keep putting gas in to keep it going. This is more like a 95 Caddy with a good engine but needs new tires and a tune up.

Bobby now has a track record. He took over a team his 1st time around that was already established and he took over a team he was hired to build into a contender.
In the 1st instance he was able to keep a good thing going. In the 2nd he failed miserably. This current team is somewhere in the middle.

This team is likely to take another step backwards next year. Have you seen next years schedule? If similar things happen again next year that happened this year, 6 wins will be tough even with a 12 game schedule. I will give the benefit of the doubt that they dont have PSU moment next year. Tell me where the for sure wins are.

@South Dakota
North Alabama
@Oregon
Monmouth
@UC Davis
Idaho State
@Sac State
EWU
@PSU
Idaho
Weber State
@Montana State

I'm with you, Merkleman. A .500 season may be the best the Griz can do in 2019 -- not a good thought.

Merkleman said:
hilinegrizfan said:

Having a plan and executing a plan are two different things. I believe he his a plan. I just dont know if its the right one. He is in un-chartered waters. This isnt the new Ferrari he inherited his 1st stint here that he had to just keep putting gas in to keep it going. This is more like a 95 Caddy with a good engine but needs new tires and a tune up.

Bobby now has a track record. He took over a team his 1st time around that was already established and he took over a team he was hired to build into a contender.
In the 1st instance he was able to keep a good thing going. In the 2nd he failed miserably. This current team is somewhere in the middle.

This team is likely to take another step backwards next year. Have you seen next years schedule? If similar things happen again next year that happened this year, 6 wins will be tough even with a 12 game schedule. I will give the benefit of the doubt that they dont have PSU moment next year. Tell me where the for sure wins are.

@South Dakota
North Alabama
@Oregon
Monmouth
@UC Davis
Idaho State
@Sac State
EWU
@PSU
Idaho
Weber State
@Montana State
Are we still talking about Calhoun?

I don't disagree with your assertion that next year will be hard, but the idea that losing Jeremy Calhoun is solely what will keep us from being a great football team next season is a little much. :?

Merkleman said:
hilinegrizfan said:

@South Dakota
North Alabama
@Oregon
Monmouth
@UC Davis
Idaho State
@Sac State
EWU
@PSU
Idaho
Weber State
@Montana State

Hauck didn't inherit a new Ferrari last time. A good team and program and certainly better than what he got this time. Last team had just lost 3 of 4, including a Cat loss, and hadn't done much recruiting, I was told.

No one has succeeded at UNLV. At least, Hauck got UNLV to a bowl game in year 4. The current coach didn't. Coaching at FBS is different than FCS. Taking the Griz back up at this point will be much easier than taking UNLV anywhere.

Hauck took the team/program to a higher level in his last stint. Playoffs and conf championship in all 7 years. Only 1 conf loss in the last 4. To 3 national championship games, and 1 more semifinal. Large increases in attendance and fundraisers. To my knowledge, all or virtually all of the top donors and potential donors are with him now. QB memberships and attendance up.

The Griz didn't take a step backward this year. While they lost one more game, by a hair, they took many steps forward. The team will step another step or 2 forward next year. Every game looks winnable to me, except Oregon.

UM just needs more horses, more strength and more experience. The qb is special. The coaches loved the team and its attitude this year. I was hearing all of this in the fall, but just heard it again recently from a friend (and big donor) who had breakfast with Hauck last week.

I am not concerned in the least about UM's RTD. I can't think of a better person to have working on that now at UM. Which is not to say that that or winning consistently in college football is easy.

PlayerRep said:
Merkleman said:
hilinegrizfan said:

@South Dakota
North Alabama
@Oregon
Monmouth
@UC Davis
Idaho State
@Sac State
EWU
@PSU
Idaho
Weber State
@Montana State

Hauck didn't inherit a new Ferrari last time. A good team and program and certainly better than what he got this time. Last team had just lost 3 of 4, including a Cat loss, and hadn't done much recruiting, I was told.

No one has succeeded at UNLV. At least, Hauck got UNLV to a bowl game in year 4. The current coach didn't. Coaching at FBS is different than FCS. Taking the Griz back up at this point will be much easier than taking UNLV anywhere.

Hauck took the team/program to a higher level in his last stint. Playoffs and conf championship in all 7 years. Only 1 conf loss in the last 4. To 3 national championship games, and 1 more semifinal. Large increases in attendance and fundraisers. To my knowledge, all or virtually all of the top donors and potential donors are with him now. QB memberships and attendance up.

The Griz didn't take a step backward this year. While they lost one more game, by a hair, they took many steps forward. The team will step another step or 2 forward next year. Every game looks winnable to me, except Oregon.

UM just needs more horses, more strength and more experience. The qb is special. The coaches loved the team and its attitude this year. I was hearing all of this in the fall, but just heard it again recently from a friend (and big donor) who had breakfast with Hauck last week.

I am not concerned in the least about UM's RTD. I can't think of a better person to have working on that now at UM. Which is not to say that that or winning consistently in college football is easy.
We only lost 12 seniors when Bobby took over in 2003. Only six were starters. They may have tanked at the end of the season, but there was a ton of talent returning. Replaced Johnny Montana with Craig Ochs at QB. That was an upgrade. Only lost one starter on the OL in Bryan Pelc. Ike Mincy and Trey Young were the only other big losses.

Was it a Ferrari? Probably not, but he had much better than average talent on that team. Other than an appearance in the chipper in 2004 Bobby’s first three years were fairly pedestrian for that era (1993-2009). We only had one three year stretch that was worse, but Joe Glenn took us straight to the chipper his first year, then won itall his second year. Cupboard was probably in similar shape.

getgrizzy said:
PlayerRep said:
Merkleman said:
hilinegrizfan said:

@South Dakota
North Alabama
@Oregon
Monmouth
@UC Davis
Idaho State
@Sac State
EWU
@PSU
Idaho
Weber State
@Montana State

We only lost 12 seniors when Bobby took over in 2003. Only six were starters. They may have tanked at the end of the season, but there was a ton of talent returning. Replaced Johnny Montana with Craig Ochs at QB. That was an upgrade. Only lost one starter on the OL in Bryan Pelc. Ike Mincy and Trey Young were the only other big losses.

Was it a Ferrari? Probably not, but he had much better than average talent on that team. Other than an appearance in the chipper in 2004 Bobby’s first three years were fairly pedestrian for that era (1993-2009). We only had one three year stretch that was worse, but Joe Glenn took us straight to the chipper his first year, then won itall his second year. Cupboard was probably in similar shape.

Well, then we agree. It wasn't a Ferrari. It actually wasn't even close, but it was a good and strong program and there was good talent. But all holes were not filled.

Other than going to the national championship in his second year, his first 3 years .... Your statement makes no sense. Going to Chattanooga is not pedestrian. 9-4, 12-3 (Chattanooga), 8-4, with 5 conference losses. Yes, pedestrian. Ha.

In 2002, also Peeples, Rosenberg, Brandon Neill, Mark Spencer, Zikmund, Colter.

PlayerRep said:
Well, then we agree. It wasn't a Ferrari. It actually wasn't even close, but it was a good and strong program and there was good talent. But all holes were not filled.

What does this statement mean? Is the expectation that a coach should come into a situation and have NO holes to fill? Isn't it obvious that all holes were not filled? Hell, there are new holes created every single off-season. Some created by graduation, some by attrition, some by injury, some by coaching changes, scheme changes, coach running off starters and All Americans, etc., etc.

Merkleman said:
This team is likely to take another step backwards next year.
I don't think so; we started 3 seniors of the 22 vs. MSU and BH has another recruiting year to fill the holes. Other teams on the schedule have far more turnover. And lose the "another"; we did not take a step back in 2018; the 2018 team was far better at the end of the year than the 2017 team.

Not saying we'd need/want this, or that this would ever have a snowball's chance in hell of happening, but could Calhoun technically pursue a graduate transfer to MSU? Would that supersede the Big Sky inter-transfer stipulations?

Back