• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Offensive Line

You make multiple good points. I agree that there is considerable talent on the existing o-line if they can get healthy and stronger. I also think they made good progress during the season, but the big injuries and nagging injuries held them back as a unit. Plus, the true frosh will be moving up the ladder.

A couple of names I haven’t heard anything about is how the progression of how Kanouse, Quick and Cook, anybody know how they are looking?

In terms of transfers, I can't think of many who were able to contribute right away. Quinn, Russum, Horn. Who else? Any JC's? Kistler had been recruited by Ohio St, I believe, but really wasn't a transfer. Balogh came directly to UM, and started as a frosh, after UW reneged on his scholarship and asked his to grey shirt.

One thing in common with this group, is that they all come from FBS or were recruited by FBS schools.

atomik235 said:
I'm cautious about posting to this, and may be a bit biased, I've read a lot about O-Line and this my 2 cents.
People seem to have forgot about Dallas Hart, he was the starting center and was lost pre season to a knee injury, if all went well with his knee I would expect him to be the starting Center next year as a Sr.. I would also expect Angel Villanueva to be the starting LG also a Sr.

So let's talk about the other 3 spots.

LT - I expect Sean to push Conlan for starting position (my bias) and FYI Sean is nasty on the field. And if not Conlan will only get better.

RG - I think Tyler Ganoung has a great chance to start (also my bias as he has become a good friend of Seans) FYI Tyler has a nasty streak also. I just can't see keeping Sirmon there as its not his natural position. There is also Cole Sain that has a nasty streak in him. This could be the only spot a JC transfer could take.

RT- I can't see any reason why Colton wouldn't continue to get better and keep this spot.

I won't get into a 2 deep, too much up for grabs there.

The rest:
not sure why everyone is taking about JC or FBS drop downs, at best a JC player would be a Sophomore, so what spot is he going to take? you only take JC if they are going to start. Why on earth would a FBS grad go play in the FCS? never going to happen, they will go to another FBS school. I guess there could some frustrated FBS guy that isn't getting any play time that would be tempted, but how easy is it to find that guy? and why isn't he playing?

Holding, you can grab pads inside the shoulders all day long and it isn't going to get called unless the defender tries to pull away and you don't let go.

What I didn't see from the O-Line this year was some nastiness, pancake a guy and then get on top of him, dominate a guy and then stand over him and let him know you own him...... Sean turned that switch on his Senior year in HS, nothing like taking the "will to play" out of a defender...

Germer is a good coach and I think the line will be better next year (again my bias)

Good post. Our current OL took huge hits with injuries (Hart and Villanueva) and departures (Jackson) which left the staff scrambling to make the Line serviceable. I think the OL actually exceeded expectations bc there was talk early that it was going to be really, really ugly. We ended up averaging 164 yards per game and put up 20 TDs and 4.9 ypc. Those are better stats than I ever expected, given the dire talk. There is still a lot of room for improvement but the current O Line did better than expected imo.

As for grad transfers, UM got a good one in Reid Miller last season and a good FBS transfer in David Shaw year prior. We need dudes like that if we can get them. Not easy, but not impossible.

Compared to some games of yours I watched early on where your line looked terrible, come cat griz I was actually pretty impressed. They improved a ton. Get some guys healthy and I don’t think this will be a position of huge concern for you going into 2019.

I hope 265 is correct about the OL. It has been ineffective for 3-4 years. In my view, we need 2-3 stud transfers to supplement the efforts of the current players. Maybe we aren’t able to get them? I don’t know the answer. As for Germer, that’s Bobby’s call.

ilovethecats said:
Compared to some games of yours I watched early on where your line looked terrible, come cat griz I was actually pretty impressed. They improved a ton. Get some guys healthy and I don’t think this will be a position of huge concern for you going into 2019.

Maybe we didn’t watch the same game?

atomik235 said:
I'm cautious about posting to this, and may be a bit biased, I've read a lot about O-Line and this my 2 cents.
People seem to have forgot about Dallas Hart, he was the starting center and was lost pre season to a knee injury, if all went well with his knee I would expect him to be the starting Center next year as a Sr.. I would also expect Angel Villanueva to be the starting LG also a Sr.

So let's talk about the other 3 spots.

LT - I expect Sean to push Conlan for starting position (my bias) and FYI Sean is nasty on the field. And if not Conlan will only get better.

RG - I think Tyler Ganoung has a great chance to start (also my bias as he has become a good friend of Seans) FYI Tyler has a nasty streak also. I just can't see keeping Sirmon there as its not his natural position. There is also Cole Sain that has a nasty streak in him. This could be the only spot a JC transfer could take.

RT- I can't see any reason why Colton wouldn't continue to get better and keep this spot.

I won't get into a 2 deep, too much up for grabs there.

The rest:
not sure why everyone is taking about JC or FBS drop downs, at best a JC player would be a Sophomore, so what spot is he going to take? you only take JC if they are going to start. Why on earth would a FBS grad go play in the FCS? never going to happen, they will go to another FBS school. I guess there could some frustrated FBS guy that isn't getting any play time that would be tempted, but how easy is it to find that guy? and why isn't he playing?

Agree with your take on dropdowns and JC transfers. Very hit and miss...also, good to hear there's some "nastiness" in the up and comers....always thought we had the talent, especially in the last couple of recruiting classes (Stitt's last and BH's first)...No doubt loss of Meyer preseason hurt. And then Jackson hanging them up and Scott going down with concussion issues. That's three projected starters, and then Angel has surgery and isn't 100% all year, Meyer's replacement takes shots and is playing injured most of the year...tough to make a go of it when they go down rapid fire like that.

Can't WAIT to see your son on the field full time. Still get goosebumps watching his senior tape. :shock: :shock:

Not sure I agree with your take on Germer, but you're certainly much closer to the situation than I am.

HookedonGriz said:
As for grad transfers, UM got a good one in Reid Miller last season and a good FBS transfer in David Shaw year prior. We need dudes like that if we can get them. Not easy, but not impossible.

Shaw wasn't a Grad transfer. He played two years for us.

AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:

Correct re-read what I wrote :)

Spanky2 said:
I hope 265 is correct about the OL. It has been ineffective for 3-4 years. In my view, we need 2-3 stud transfers to supplement the efforts of the current players. Maybe we aren’t able to get them? I don’t know the answer. As for Germer, that’s Bobby’s call.

This post is incorrect. The OL was not ineffective for 3-4 years. we ran schemes that were ineffective. in fact in 2016 we had 3 OL that all got on the All big sky teams. we are not going to get 2-3 STUD transfers...that doesn't happen on the OL anywhere so its not going to happen for a FCS school. as previously mentioned we have 18 OL on the roster 8 of them True Freshman. You can't bail on those guys and their development. We will have 2 starters that were injured 2 that are seniors next year. Overall we will be MUCH improved next year on a line that improved quite a bit as the year went on, not a single starter in our final game was even 300 pounds. That will change quite a bit next year as well.

AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:

And Shaw transferred from Maryland because they wanted to move him to o-line and he wanted to stay at d-tackle. Think I read that Shaw's dad and 2 brothers were all o-lineman and 2 played for Penn St.

HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:

Correct re-read what I wrote :)
:oops: :thumb:

mtgrizfankb said:
Spanky2 said:

This post is incorrect. The OL was not ineffective for 3-4 years. we ran schemes that were ineffective. in fact in 2016 we had 3 OL that all got on the All big sky teams. we are not going to get 2-3 STUD transfers...that doesn't happen on the OL anywhere so its not going to happen for a FCS school. as previously mentioned we have 18 OL on the roster 8 of them True Freshman. You can't bail on those guys and their development. We will have 2 starters that were injured 2 that are seniors next year. Overall we will be MUCH improved next year on a line that improved quite a bit as the year went on, not a single starter in our final game was even 300 pounds. That will change quite a bit next year as well.

I'm with you, kb. Glass half-full kind of guy WRT the O-Line and their potential.

mtgrizfankb said:
Spanky2 said:

I question with the current OL that we will be much improved next year and I don’t agree that they improved this year. Maybe your correct we can’t get the transfers....maybe not. If we plan on entering next season with existing talent without transfers, we are in for another disappointing year.

Spanky2 said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Spanky2 said:

I question with the current OL that we will be much improved next year and I don’t agree that they improved this year. Maybe your correct we can’t get the transfers....maybe not. If we plan on entering next season with existing talent without transfers, we are in for another disappointing year.
Atomik made some great points as to why we probably won't be that bad off. Why do you think otherwise?

I don’t think it’s wise to proceed with a wish and a prayer. Better to hedge our bet, if we can. Some say we can’t get transfers. If they are correct, we proceed with existing talent. However, I believe we can get transfers. By the way, isn’t atomic a player Father?

mtgrizfankb said:
Spanky2 said:

Yep. :clap:

Sam, many of the JC OL are being recruited by FBS schools. If you are correct, why are they going after them?

Back