• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Nicholas

GrizWhiz said:
Karl received a waiver from the NCAA and is playing this year. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4278623/karl-nicholas

I wonder how he managed that. It's not like he was injured while he was here?

PeauxRouge said:
GrizWhiz said:
Karl received a waiver from the NCAA and is playing this year. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4278623/karl-nicholas

Hardship waiver

grizindabox said:
PeauxRouge said:
GrizWhiz said:

Hardship waiver
What hardship is that? Did I miss something?

grizband said:
grizindabox said:
PeauxRouge said:
GrizWhiz said:

Hardship waiver
What hardship is that? Did I miss something?

I'm assuming it has to do with the flooding in Houston/TX. I would imagine the spin would be that he had to leave UM due to helping his family? While I'm sure that would be awful, I don't think it had anything to do with him leaving here. But, who knows?

PeauxRouge said:
GrizWhiz said:

Probably argued that he was homesick and the NCAA gave it to him. Probably the same with Manuel

maroonandsilver said:
PlayerRep said:
GrizWhiz said:
PlayerRep said:
Maybe he can learn to play defense next year.
A little snarky don't you think? :? I wish Karl well at his new home. He was a lot of fun to watch!

Snark or true statement I liked him too, and wish he had stayed, and he will be missed, but the word was that his playing time went to zero because his defense was not up to par for what the coach wanted.

Karl is a great athlete with tremendous potential. What he could have been at UM will be missed. But he whined about every call against him, and was a pouter. If you watched him on the bench the last few games, he separated himself from the team, did not join in time out huddles. If his attitude was obvious to me as a fan, it was obvious to his teammates and coaches. There is no "I" in team, especially on a Travis team. Good by Karl, good luck. We are movin' on.

Karl was young and very out of place, geographically and socially, it seems. He definitely had/has talent and I am sure will have some success eventually wherever he ends up, but I think we are honestly better off without him. Texas and Montana are so different (in so many ways), and I think this experiment will officially end any future recruiting efforts in Texas.

Also, which has nothing to do with Karl personally, I find it outrageous if he is being allowed to play D1 ball this year. I don't care what the sob-story is.

Not starting. Has played in 3 of 4 games. Didn't play in last game. 15 minutes per game. 7th in minutes, or 8th is you count a guy who played 32 in one game. 3d leading scorer at 10.3. Had 17 in blowout loss to Miami. 3d leading rebounder at 4.7. Shooting 58%. 3/4 from line. No assists. 3 TO total. SFA has 3 or 4 inured players. Didn't see that KN was injured.

Zirg said:
maroonandsilver said:
PlayerRep said:
GrizWhiz said:
A little snarky don't you think? :? I wish Karl well at his new home. He was a lot of fun to watch!

Snark or true statement I liked him too, and wish he had stayed, and he will be missed, but the word was that his playing time went to zero because his defense was not up to par for what the coach wanted.

Karl is a great athlete with tremendous potential. What he could have been at UM will be missed. But he whined about every call against him, and was a pouter. If you watched him on the bench the last few games, he separated himself from the team, did not join in time out huddles. If his attitude was obvious to me as a fan, it was obvious to his teammates and coaches. There is no "I" in team, especially on a Travis team. Good by Karl, good luck. We are movin' on.

Karl was young and very out of place, geographically and socially, it seems. He definitely had/has talent and I am sure will have some success eventually wherever he ends up, but I think we are honestly better off without him. Texas and Montana are so different (in so many ways), and I think this experiment will officially end any future recruiting efforts in Texas.

Also, which has nothing to do with Karl personally, I find it outrageous if he is being allowed to play D1 ball this year. I don't care what the sob-story is.

Are you o.k. with Manuel being elgible to play this year. Why doesn't he have to sit out?

braves84 said:
Zirg said:
maroonandsilver said:
PlayerRep said:

Are you o.k. with Manuel being elgible to play this year. Why doesn't he have to sit out?
Some "sob stories" can be pretty compelling and legit! :?

Manuel is in his 4th year. He broke his leg as a frosh and missed the entire year. I suppose the ncaa agreed with the argument to let him play this year instead of making him sit a year, get a medical redshirt year, and then play this 5th and 6th years.

PlayerRep said:
Manuel is in his 4th year. He broke his leg as a frosh and missed the entire year. I suppose the ncaa agreed with the argument to let him play this year instead of making him sit a year, get a medical redshirt year, and then play this 5th and 6th years.

There was a story on KPAX yesterday which stated Manuel’s request was granted by the NCAA because he moved closer to home.

https://montanasports.com/cat-griz/montana-grizzlies/2018/11/23/perfect-timing-for-kendal-manuels-return-to-home-state/

go96griz said:
PlayerRep said:

There was a story on KPAX yesterday which stated Manuel’s request was granted by the NCAA because he moved closer to home.

https://montanasports.com/cat-griz/montana-grizzlies/2018/11/23/perfect-timing-for-kendal-manuels-return-to-home-state/

Thx. I assume Nicholas used the same argument.

PlayerRep said:
go96griz said:
PlayerRep said:

Thx. I assume Nicholas used the same argument.
Makes sense, their requests seem fairly similar.

Think Nicholas got 13 10 days ago, off the bench. Then, he started next 2 games, probably due to an injury in front of him. In 23 minutes and a loss to SF, he played 23 minutes, scored 1 on 0-5 shooting, and got 5 rebounds. In next game in 16 minutes, he scored 5 on 2-8 shooting, got 4 rebonds, and blocked 5 shots.

braves84 said:
Zirg said:
maroonandsilver said:
PlayerRep said:

I wasn't expecting him to be able to play, and I will stand by this statement:"Nobody that plays D1 basketball for one team should be able to play for another D1 team the next year". That's just my personal stance, and I'll never deviate from it.

Zirg said:
braves84 said:
Zirg said:
maroonandsilver said:

I wasn't expecting him to be able to play, and I will stand by this statement:"Nobody that plays D1 basketball for one team should be able to play for another D1 team the next year". That's just my personal stance, and I'll never deviate from it.

Do you feel the same way about D1 coaches (head coaches or assistant coaches) who leave for a program that pays them more or is a better fit for them? If not, how is it different?

Back