• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: A rivalry renewed

BWahlberg

DONOR
After a first half total beatdown of the Vandals the Griz are looking red hot headed into their last regular season game against Bozeman State. Tonight renewed our 2nd oldest rivalry and the Griz picked it up right where they left it off, with a solid ass-kicking of the sorry excuse for a team that the Idaho Vandals are. Honestly for the life of me I'm not sure how the hell Idaho built this team in the FBS ranks. Give me Ungerer, Saunders (maybe), and the Elliss kids... and that's it. Having grown up hating this team more than the cats I loved seeing the Griz put it to a hapless Vandals team who should have been much more ready to play, but came out flat and apparently unmotivated to put up much of a fight.

A few general thoughts:

- While the SUU game remains (IMO) Sneed's best game, today featured some of his best passes, especially his deep shot to Akem for a TD. Once again with a clean(er) pocket and slightly less pressure Sneed was able to make things happen with his arm and his feet. He was a total threat once again, and we'll need him to be again next week too. Barring a pretty unexpected final stretch Sneed is going to finish as the leading rusher for this team, in addition to leading the whole way at QB. Quite the season so far for this guy.

- On his first carry I was iffy on JLM as a running back... but I believe he converted two 3rd downs on his other two carries. That's some good stuff.

- Akem has officially cemented himself as one of the top WRs in the Big Sky, and the dude is just a sophomore.

- Congrats Dante Olson on breaking the all-time tackle record for the Griz. 10 more stops tonight and he's got at least 1 more in front of him this year.

- Reggie Tilleman, in his home state, had his best game of his Griz career I'd say. 1 sack, 2.5 TFLs. Great to see such a hard working guy who is a vocal leader on this team have a big showing at Idaho.

- Robby Hauck is going to be a guy that MSU is going to take a key on. While he's a tackling machine he's shown issues with taking angles on ball carriers, either after a catch or when the RB/QB is running. He's a young guy and only going to get better, but far too often right now he's chasing guys or getting hurdled by guys as he's down on the ground. I'll give him props though too, that PBU at the end of the first half was great.

- Considering the talent they were against, maybe the best game for the OL, even though no running back had any meaningful numbers. Using Meyer and Martin to pull and help on the edge was helpful tonight many times.

- Get used to the sight of Garrett Graves running dudes over.

- Once again a team with a statistically better special teams unit was totally shut down. Props to the ST players and coaches for their work here.

------

This was a very good momentum-building win for the Griz and I'm damn glad the Little Brown Stein is staying where it belongs.

We're now on to the Cats, FTC.

Go Griz!

Great game in all phases of the game except Humphrey needs to be better than what he showed today.

45809637_2217979105158341_758014109441589248_n.jpg

BWahlberg said:
- Get used to the sight of Garrett Graves running dudes over.

It was exciting to see him have a few good runs - he's going to be a beast.
The new 4 game redshirt rule was a great change by the NCAA.

I bet the Griz celebrated a big win with a rousing FTC chant in the locker room after the game :clap:

The new 4 game redshirt rule is absolutely the best rule change in recent memory. For once the NCAA did something that made sense and is proving very beneficial!

I notice Brint when we win, you get these out quickly, but when we lose it takes a day or two. I never took you for a drowning out your sorrows kind of guy.

:)

As usual nice writeup

I cant believe Petrino plays his kid at QB, that kid is like NAIA level QB at best. I would be furious if I were a player or fan of that team. That kid suuuucks.

VictorG said:
End of 1st half for Idaho, some of the worst clock management I've ever seen......

I felt the same way. Their clock management against MSU cost them a chance at a win in Bozeman.

ordigger said:
I notice Brint when we win, you get these out quickly, but when we lose it takes a day or two. I never took you for a drowning out your sorrows kind of guy.

:)

As usual nice writeup

Well it helps speed it up when he can start writing at halftime!

Finally on a 4th and One we didn't try to run it up the middle. Maybe after all the failed attemp's, Rosey finally learned?

Good coverage by the defensive secondary. That Petrino kid had good pockets and lots of time to look for receivers and make throws. Tough to tell on tv but I’m guessing he just wasn’t seeing anyone open.

Good write up. My few observances...
Ungerer grabs his junk a lot
Petrino is not 6’ tall, unless they have 7’2” linemen...and he’s trash
On TV that first fg looked wide. I watched it numerous times and though it was no good. No matter
With Petrino out at Louisville, maybe the spuds should make it a 2 for 1 deal today

AZDoc said:
On TV that first fg looked wide. I watched it numerous times and though it was no good. No matter
With Petrino out at Louisville, maybe the spuds should make it a 2 for 1 deal today

We watched the fieldgoal on slow-mo, there's one rotation of the ball where you see the nose of it is inside the upright. It was close, but good.

BozAngelesGriz said:
Good coverage by the defensive secondary. That Petrino kid had good pockets and lots of time to look for receivers and make throws. Tough to tell on tv but I’m guessing he just wasn’t seeing anyone open.

I’m hoping they dial back the pressure next Saturday & focus on coverage & containing 15 & the running game. He can’t beat them with anything relating to passing. So why let him beat you with his legs?

BWahlberg said:
AZDoc said:

We watched the fieldgoal on slow-mo, there's one rotation of the ball where you see the nose of it is inside the upright. It was close, but good.

Excellent thx. Did you question it at first?

AZDoc said:
BWahlberg said:
AZDoc said:

Excellent thx. Did you question it at first?

Sure did! Hence why we backed it up and watched it frame by frame

Back