Playoffs

Get the low down on Griz Football and the FCS
User avatar
putter
eGriz Club
Posts: 7238
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:00 am
Location: GF, MT

Re: Playoffs

Post by putter » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:26 pm

clawman wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:18 pm
The committee will consider lots of things such as best win?? Who would that be?
Who is your worst loss?
Considering you lost to UCD by 26 late in the season, which the Eagles just beat by 39 might be a good place to start.
The Eagles still remember that 7 wins is not the holy ground it used to be, they were snubbed last year, no quality wins and a couple of ugly losses.
I agree clawman. Griz have tough losses and no real quality win to hang their hat on....just hoping to get that 7th win to make them think about it.
So Let me get this straight.....Muslim terrorists fly planes into buildings and we are not supposed to judge all Muslim's for the actions of a few. A few crazy Americans commit heinous acts with guns but it is OK to condemn all gun owning Americans.. there is our congress for you.

GoldenEagle
Posts: 552
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Soaring over the Two Medicine Valley

Re: Playoffs

Post by GoldenEagle » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:33 pm

CDAGRIZ wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:25 pm
clawman wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:18 pm
The committee will consider lots of things such as best win?? Who would that be?
Who is your worst loss?
Considering you lost to UCD by 26 late in the season, which the Eagles just beat by 39 might be a good place to start.
The Eagles still remember that 7 wins is not the holy ground it used to be, they were snubbed last year, no quality wins and a couple of ugly losses.
Consider this, consider this: You're attempting to lecture fans of The University of Montana Grizzlies about the playoffs. Everything you know, everything you think you know, and everything you hope to know about the NCAA FCS Playoffs, we already know.
egriz arrogance. The mark of an elite program.
Last edited by GoldenEagle on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
IdaGriz01
Posts: 8522
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: Idaho Falls

Re: Playoffs

Post by IdaGriz01 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:36 pm

Bottom line (stark truth) on the "Brawl of the Wild" result:
Griz win they'll get a bid. Lose = OUT.

Might be also true for the kitties, but I'm not so sure on that.

Point: Not basing this just on $$$ for a Griz home game. No doubt, the NCAA loves money, but FCS is really a minor sideline in that regard. But at its second (or third) tier level. Montana brings some history to the event, which certainly helps their "story line."

Plus ... the NCAA committee has also shown a preference for team that are "on a role" at the end.

User avatar
CDAGRIZ
eGriz Club
Posts: 15986
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:52 pm
Location: West Coast

Re: Playoffs

Post by CDAGRIZ » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:51 pm

GoldenEagle wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:33 pm
CDAGRIZ wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:25 pm
clawman wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:18 pm
The committee will consider lots of things such as best win?? Who would that be?
Who is your worst loss?
Considering you lost to UCD by 26 late in the season, which the Eagles just beat by 39 might be a good place to start.
The Eagles still remember that 7 wins is not the holy ground it used to be, they were snubbed last year, no quality wins and a couple of ugly losses.
Consider this, consider this: You're attempting to lecture fans of The University of Montana Grizzlies about the playoffs. Everything you know, everything you think you know, and everything you hope to know about the NCAA FCS Playoffs, we already know.
egriz arrogance. The mark of an elite program.
Can't say I'm wrong, though. Never think, for one minute, that you are more than a simple prop to occupy my time.

hm.grwn.grizfan
Posts: 2333
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: Billings, Montana

Re: Playoffs

Post by hm.grwn.grizfan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:04 pm

I don’t even care at this point. The way this team played for several straight weeks I’m very surprised that they even got to 6 wins, much less have an opportunity to win a seventh and be in the conversation for a playoff bid. It’s all gravy at this point and I’m going to enjoy the ride. The team went 1-0 this week, hopefully they do it again next week, and god willing, the week after that! Go Griz! Payback is a bitch and it would be nice to knock MSU out of their first potential playoff berth in years while at the same time punching our ticket!
“We had a winning record last year and no one was happy about it. If they have a winning record down the road they throw a parade.” - Bobby Hauck -

GoldenEagle
Posts: 552
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Soaring over the Two Medicine Valley

Re: Playoffs

Post by GoldenEagle » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:06 pm

CDAGRIZ wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:51 pm
GoldenEagle wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:33 pm
CDAGRIZ wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:25 pm
clawman wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:18 pm
The committee will consider lots of things such as best win?? Who would that be?
Who is your worst loss?
Considering you lost to UCD by 26 late in the season, which the Eagles just beat by 39 might be a good place to start.
The Eagles still remember that 7 wins is not the holy ground it used to be, they were snubbed last year, no quality wins and a couple of ugly losses.
Consider this, consider this: You're attempting to lecture fans of The University of Montana Grizzlies about the playoffs. Everything you know, everything you think you know, and everything you hope to know about the NCAA FCS Playoffs, we already know.
egriz arrogance. The mark of an elite program.
Can't say I'm wrong, though. Never think, for one minute, that you are more than a simple prop to occupy my time.
I feel so insignificant. :lol:

User avatar
CDAGRIZ
eGriz Club
Posts: 15986
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:52 pm
Location: West Coast

Re: Playoffs

Post by CDAGRIZ » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:28 pm

GoldenEagle wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:06 pm
CDAGRIZ wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:51 pm
GoldenEagle wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:33 pm
CDAGRIZ wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:25 pm


Consider this, consider this: You're attempting to lecture fans of The University of Montana Grizzlies about the playoffs. Everything you know, everything you think you know, and everything you hope to know about the NCAA FCS Playoffs, we already know.
egriz arrogance. The mark of an elite program.
Can't say I'm wrong, though. Never think, for one minute, that you are more than a simple prop to occupy my time.
I feel so insignificant. :lol:
Think about the place where you live, wonder why you haven't before.

George Ferguson
Posts: 5934
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:35 pm
Location: Havre, MT
Former Name: havgrizfan

Re: Playoffs

Post by George Ferguson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:41 pm

Not a done deal, but it's a very REAL possibility the winner of the Brawl gets in. No matter how many Griz fans think the Griz don't deserve it. With the carnage today in the FCS, coupled with both teams appearing to be red-hot, the winner will be hard for the committee to keep out.

SaskGriz
Posts: 1956
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:55 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: Playoffs

Post by SaskGriz » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:15 am

GoldenEagle wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:06 pm
CDAGRIZ wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:51 pm
GoldenEagle wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:33 pm
CDAGRIZ wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:25 pm


Consider this, consider this: You're attempting to lecture fans of The University of Montana Grizzlies about the playoffs. Everything you know, everything you think you know, and everything you hope to know about the NCAA FCS Playoffs, we already know.
egriz arrogance. The mark of an elite program.
Can't say I'm wrong, though. Never think, for one minute, that you are more than a simple prop to occupy my time.
I feel so insignificant. :lol:
Isn't that what it says on the Welcome to Cheney sign?

GoldenEagle
Posts: 552
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Soaring over the Two Medicine Valley

Re: Playoffs

Post by GoldenEagle » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:08 am

SaskGriz wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:15 am
GoldenEagle wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:06 pm
CDAGRIZ wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:51 pm
GoldenEagle wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:33 pm

egriz arrogance. The mark of an elite program.
Can't say I'm wrong, though. Never think, for one minute, that you are more than a simple prop to occupy my time.
I feel so insignificant. :lol:
Isn't that what it says on the Welcome to Cheney sign?
I live in Spokane, but I'm more Montana than either of you dumbasses.

retiredpopo
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:45 pm

Re: Playoffs

Post by retiredpopo » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:28 am

When we win Saturday we are in and only a fool would think otherwise. We will host a game take that to the bank.

bigkid
eGriz Club
Posts: 1852
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:11 am

Re: Playoffs

Post by bigkid » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:36 am

A weber win against isu gives them the auto bid...eastern seeded and Davis a first round bye. Isu sunk its own ship on Saturday and msu and Montana stay alive with the winner hosting a playoff game. My prediction for the 24th attendance is 21000 at Washington Grizzly Stadium. :coffee:

grizare#1
Posts: 1384
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:27 pm

Re: Playoffs

Post by grizare#1 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:49 am

George Ferguson wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:41 pm
Not a done deal, but it's a very REAL possibility the winner of the Brawl gets in. No matter how many Griz fans think the Griz don't deserve it. With the carnage today in the FCS, coupled with both teams appearing to be red-hot, the winner will be hard for the committee to keep out.
Except for that little loss against the worst team in the fcs, PSU. That game alone will keep us out. Hope I'm wrong but if we don't make it you can hang your hat on that one.

User avatar
TCCGRIZ
eGriz Club
Posts: 1307
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 9:21 pm
Location: Butte America

Re: Playoffs

Post by TCCGRIZ » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:01 am

GoldenEagle wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:06 pm
CDAGRIZ wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:51 pm
GoldenEagle wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:33 pm
CDAGRIZ wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:25 pm


Consider this, consider this: You're attempting to lecture fans of The University of Montana Grizzlies about the playoffs. Everything you know, everything you think you know, and everything you hope to know about the NCAA FCS Playoffs, we already know.
egriz arrogance. The mark of an elite program.
Can't say I'm wrong, though. Never think, for one minute, that you are more than a simple prop to occupy my time.
I feel so insignificant. :lol:
That's because you are .
From a fan of mine "When I need a policeman to police my posts, you'll be the first person I call"

DrainBramage
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:29 pm

Re: Playoffs

Post by DrainBramage » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:20 am

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/fc ... acketology

This bracket gave a spot to the winner of the cat-griz game

SaskGriz
Posts: 1956
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:55 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: Playoffs

Post by SaskGriz » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:49 am

GoldenEagle wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:08 am
SaskGriz wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:15 am
GoldenEagle wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:06 pm
CDAGRIZ wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:51 pm


Can't say I'm wrong, though. Never think, for one minute, that you are more than a simple prop to occupy my time.
I feel so insignificant. :lol:
Isn't that what it says on the Welcome to Cheney sign?
I live in Spokane, but I'm more Montana than either of you dumbasses.
And you've got the best words, now go build a wall and make me pay for it.

grzz
eGriz Club
Posts: 2467
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:55 pm
Location: Missoula, MT

Re: Playoffs

Post by grzz » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:50 am

DrainBramage wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:20 am
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/fc ... acketology

This bracket gave a spot to the winner of the cat-griz game
That bracket had the cats getting in over UND ifnthey beat the Griz. If the Griz beat the cats and UND wins at NAu, the committee won't put Griz over a UND team that beat them easily.

HookedonGriz
eGriz Club
Posts: 6843
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: Playoffs

Post by HookedonGriz » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:54 am

Need a few MAJOR things to happen for the winner of the Brawl to get in:

- first, the Griz need to win the Brawl.....the more convincing the better
- next, Weber needs to knock out ISU so they aren’t in the discussion at all
- then, NAU needs to knock out UND in Arizona so they are no longer part of the discussion
- then we need a little bit of help nationally for a couple other bubble teams to go down

If all these things happen, and they may, then winner of the Brawl is in for sure. If some of these things don’t come to fruition, then winner is in the discussion but very much a bubble battling other resumes at that point. And with the cats or Griz having no quality wins to hang their hats on, it would be an uphill battle.

griz4life
eGriz Club
Posts: 5998
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:41 pm

Re: Playoffs

Post by griz4life » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:46 pm

That we're in 'cause we're the Griz ship sailed away long ago. There is not way in hell a team with a 7-4 record with wins against teams it should beat and losses against teams it could have defeated gets in.

Montana's best outcome for 2018 is to match its 2017 7-4 record, with a new QB and a new coaching staff. It will have lost no ground for the transition, which is better than a lot of teams with new coaches and personell can say. The Griz were also the only team to fire a 7-4 coach last year. To maintain that record is good. Next year, there better be a couple more games in the win column.
"I kept waiting for a smirk, but instead he recalled how many countless hours he spent making sure I stayed out of trouble and how tough it was to keep me on the path to success.
"We would do anything for him.He was our leader and we would go anywhere he took us--It just so happened to be Huntington, West Virginia, and our school's first national championship," Dave Dickenson.

User avatar
Yukon
Posts: 3302
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:51 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Playoffs

Post by Yukon » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:08 pm

grzz wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:50 am
DrainBramage wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:20 am
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/fc ... acketology

This bracket gave a spot to the winner of the cat-griz game
That bracket had the cats getting in over UND ifnthey beat the Griz. If the Griz beat the cats and UND wins at NAu, the committee won't put Griz over a UND team that beat them easily.
wonder if the committee would favor a conference team over an independent? Or late season comparison. UND lost to Idaho in Moscow and Griz destroyed Idaho in Moscow.
"Facts are stubborn things" John Adams

Post Reply