• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: Ugly

BWahlberg

DONOR
We're about 24 hours removed from the start of yesterday's game. There's plenty of other thoughts and posts on here so I'll try to summarize a few quick thoughts here from what we saw yesterday.

- UC Davis is a very good team, but certainly a beatable team. The first half the Griz were fired up and UCD had no composure. It was looking great for a Grizzly upset. However UCD came out with good focus, solid execution, and an aggressive plan to get back in the game. Not only did it work but they blew the doors off the Griz. Davis is loaded with skill, has a very diverse offense, and a defense that plays very aggressive which paid off big dividends. UCD seems to be on the inside track to win the Big Sky, it'll be interesting to see how they do come the playoffs. If UCD plays a team that punches them in the mouth the way the Griz did for a while, it'll be tough sledding. However if they can stick to what they do best... they could make a deep run.

- 4 more lost turnovers for the Griz and no takeaways by the Grizzly defense. Another game where turnovers doomed the Griz. In this game, unlike a few others, the turnovers didn't set the tone early. In this case it slammed the door shut on the Grizzlies chances. The picks thrown appeared to be into good coverage and in spots where the UCD defenders could cut on the ball and beat the WR to the catch pretty easily.

- Sammy Akem continues to show how damn good he's becoming at WR. He's had the best rise of any player on offense this season. He's really shown great improvement on catching the ball and using his size to create mis-matches.

- Pay attention to Sneed as he's about to receive the snap, he tends to squat/crouch right before it. Davis's defenders timed some of their blitzes to perfection on this. Sneed also can tend to rifle shorter/checkdown passes too hard when pressured. We've seen this quite a bit, passes that need a better touch on them are rocketed to the target and the ball bounces off the receiver. Happened a few times in the 2nd half. Sneed's season so far has been a series of great high points and some more frustrating results too. There's things which need to be improved mostly in the passing game for sure. I really like his fire, ability to motivate, and continual hard effort. You can tell the guys feed off this from him, and if he can work to improve some of his challenges as a passer he can develop into a better QB.

- 46 unanswered points, 36 allowed in the 4th quarter. That's just awful.

- I hope the injury to Sims isn't as bad as it appeared on the field. Also Eastwood returned but didn't look great post-game. Those are both big losses.

- Liked what I saw from Jace Lewis again, this guy will step up into Buss's role pretty well next season as a starter.

- My final thought is that while I may just have perceived this incorrectly from the stands, it sure felt like to me that the design and plan for the offense in the 2nd half was to try to kill the clock, treat the game like the Griz had an insurmountable lead, and grind it out. I don't think this is the kind of team that can do that... and we saw evidence of that here. I know this coaching staff's style is to get and hold a lead, but as UCD showed, they don't give a damn about that and can overcome it. In the 3rd quarter this game turned around for Davis. The Griz crossed midfield twice but couldn't do anything with it. When they failed to get the 4th and short, that appeared to be the moment where Davis knew they could not only come back, but get the win going away. Some personelle decisions didn't make much sense, 3rd and medium/long plays where Akem is on the bench, a 4th and 1 where Calhoun or Eastwood weren't on the field, and so on. I can't say for sure why, maybe the guys were gassed at that point, the design didn't need/use them, or whatever. I'm just a little baffled at some key points why the best option wasn't on the field. I'll fully admit, that's a fan's opinion which could be way off base.

--------------

Moving ahead it's going to be interesting to see with this redshirt rule if some guys start to get a few more looks, or if others (like Jeremy Calhoun) get shelved to save their RS. The Griz have two road games in front of them that I'm hoping they can rebound and get some wins and momentum heading into the cat game.

At the end of the day here, Davis was/is the better team. The Griz fought hard early but fell apart as the day went on. I admire the fight and effort, I wish they could've got the win but I think this team is just too flawed to hang with the top dogs like Davis is this year.

SUU is up next, hopefully the Griz can get back into their winning ways.

Go Griz!

On the 4th and 1 Calhoun had just limped off, several plays after it looked like Eastwood had broken his collarbone. Lee was all we had.

thanks for the write up b/w.....speaking in terms of the future of both teams, there is a disturbing fact about cal davis,,,,they are as young or younger than the griz....this was pointed out several times on the t.v. broadcast.....without significant and immediate talent upgrade, where does this leave us in the future ......the old adage is true..."coaches, coach and players play"

krammer said:
thanks for the write up b/w.....speaking in terms of the future of both teams, there is a disturbing fact about cal davis,,,,they are as young or younger than the griz....this was pointed out several times on the t.v. broadcast.....without significant and immediate talent upgrade, where does this leave us in the future ......the old adage is true..."coaches, coach and players play"

And coaches bring in the players that play. He isn't a high school coach that is stuck with the student body. He can go get players he needs, and had numerous scholarships to do it this year for the oline but for whatever reason did not get the job done (which he is paid to do). Having to switch guys to oline from other positions was a sign he did not have what was needed and we see how that has worked out. 2018 was in many ways a wasted year in a rebuilding process. Time to use the final 3 games to salvage some of it by using the true freshman (add Stoner to this list as well) to at least get some experience since they dont lose a year with new redshirt year.

AZGrizFan said:
On the 4th and 1 Calhoun had just limped off, several plays after it looked like Eastwood had broken his collarbone. Lee was all we had.

Don't know about Eastwood's collarbone. They pulled him to his feet with the same arm that they said was injured. I saw that as a positive thing re: the collarbone.

AZGrizFan said:

I think the play Calhoun got hurt on had a guy's arm whip across the upper part of both his thighs. I bet it did a little bone on bone. I winced when I saw it, thinking that was gonna hurt.

I mentioned in another post that hopefully the coaches play some other young guys that are still within that four game limit to see what they can bring to the team. I think that will aid in planning on how this team might start out next year.

I predicted that Griz would get whacked by Davis in a lopsided score. However what makes this loss so frustrating is the Griz did have this game in hand for the first half. Davis obviously had a time against the Griz in the first. Granted coaches look to make adjustments at the half on both teams. The Griz on offense went in a different direction more than likely figuring Davis would make adjustments on D. I just don’t understand why the coaches would not have went back to the game plan they had in the first half. Make Davis show they can make the stops.

We now go on the road against to teams with poor records. I can only hope we can win those games. However I just don’t know what to expect from this group.

The Griz / Cat game is a must win and I know Hauck knows that. Maybe some other young talent see the field in the next few games. They are part of a win against the cats to aid in a build for next years team.

I think this coaching staff should be looking to JC ranks and drop downs for some other O linemen to add more experience and ability

There are bound to be growing pains. Few things worthwhile come easily. The struggle is what makes success so meaningful. Just like half the fun being a Griz fan is not being a Cat fan and vice versa. You sort of need one to have the other. We will be alright.

Not worried about the young age of UC Davis. We have young players too and I believe they will be ready to compete in the future just fine.

Also if you think the second half conservative play calling ends when we become a better team in the future. Think again. Bobby fully believes in it. Won us alot of games. Also caused some frustrating losses. Villanova in the National Championship was one of those in my opinion.

BWahlberg said:
I admire the fight and effort, I wish they could've got the win but I think this team is just too flawed to hang with the top dogs like Davis is this year.

spoken like a true bobby apologist. others should read and learn.

by Ursus1 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:43 pm

And coaches bring in the players that play. He isn't a high school coach that is stuck with the student body. He can go get players he needs, and had numerous scholarships to do it this year for the oline but for whatever reason did not get the job done (which he is paid to do).

Ursus, I enjoy your posts so I don't mean this to be confrontational. But your post, along with many other posters, seem to assume that Hauck can just "go get the players he needs". This confuses me because it is not like you can just go to Costco and pick up 3 O lineman, a couple D-line studs and some all conference corner backs and drive home. Sometimes it may be more like going to the humane society and pick from what others have cast off. Hauck has to compete with other programs to get the best players and the FCS world has changed since his first stint. It is my opinion that many of the best of the best, especially the out of state players, are going to take a long look at going to programs that currently have winning programs (NDSU, EWU etc.) and I wouldn't put in Griz in that category. Coaching is hard and there is probably a 50/50 chance or greater that Hauck will never bring this program back to where it was. For every coach that wins there is another who loses. I have nothing against Hauck, and I don't really care if he stays 10 years. Some of those years may be a lot better than this one. I do hope he checks out opportunities for offensive and defensive coordinators in the off season but there may not be many of those at Costco either. I guess the one saving grace about recruiting in-state is that the Cats are just as shitty and twice as boring so there isn't much incentive for the best in-state players to go there.

Dang, I was hoping I would wake up today and this whole 46 points in 18 minutes thing was just a bad joke. Nope I guess not.

I noticed the Sneed pre-snap crouch as well and mentioned it on a thread or two a couple weeks ago. If a casual observer like me can see it, you damn well bet a DC and defense has picked up on it and is taking advantage of it. I can’t bekeive our staff hasn’t fixed an obvious and glaring problem.

argh! said:
BWahlberg said:
I admire the fight and effort, I wish they could've got the win but I think this team is just too flawed to hang with the top dogs like Davis is this year.

spoken like a blind mofo

grizindabox said:
argh! said:
BWahlberg said:

spoken like a blind mofo

have you noticed how quickly games get away from this group?

argh! said:
grizindabox said:
argh! said:
BWahlberg said:

spoken like a blind mofo

I'm sure it's Bobby's fault, none of our previous coaches including Stitt ever had that happen to his teams! :roll:

MikeyGriz said:
argh! said:
grizindabox said:
argh! said:

spoken like a blind mofo

I'm sure it's Bobby's fault, none of our previous coaches including Stitt ever had that happen to his teams! :roll:

None of the UM coaches in the last 3 decades have inherited a team that was ranked in the 30's in the national polls, had lost to the Cats 2 years in a row, and hadn't made the playoffs for 2 years in row. Do you not understand how the quality of the team/program inherited affects how the next several seasons go, and how long it takes to climb back to the top 10?

sdk.catfish said:

And coaches bring in the players that play. He isn't a high school coach that is stuck with the student body. He can go get players he needs, and had numerous scholarships to do it this year for the oline but for whatever reason did not get the job done (which he is paid to do).

Ursus, I enjoy your posts so I don't mean this to be confrontational. But your post, along with many other posters, seem to assume that Hauck can just "go get the players he needs". This confuses me because it is not like you can just go to Costco and pick up 3 O lineman, a couple D-line studs and some all conference corner backs and drive home. Sometimes it may be more like going to the humane society and pick from what others have cast off. Hauck has to compete with other programs to get the best players and the FCS world has changed since his first stint. It is my opinion that many of the best of the best, especially the out of state players, are going to take a long look at going to programs that currently have winning programs (NDSU, EWU etc.) and I wouldn't put in Griz in that category. Coaching is hard and there is probably a 50/50 chance or greater that Hauck will never bring this program back to where it was. For every coach that wins there is another who loses. I have nothing against Hauck, and I don't really care if he stays 10 years. Some of those years may be a lot better than this one.
I do hope he checks out opportunities for offensive
and defensive coordinators in the off season but there may not be many of those at Costco either. I guess the one saving grace about recruiting in-state is that the Cats are just as shitty and twice as boring so there isn't much incentive for the best in-state players to go there.

Might want to put the 'ol tail between the legs and give a call to Mike Ferriter.

MTGRZ said:
sdk.catfish said:

Ursus, I enjoy your posts so I don't mean this to be confrontational. But your post, along with many other posters, seem to assume that Hauck can just "go get the players he needs". This confuses me because it is not like you can just go to Costco and pick up 3 O lineman, a couple D-line studs and some all conference corner backs and drive home. Sometimes it may be more like going to the humane society and pick from what others have cast off. Hauck has to compete with other programs to get the best players and the FCS world has changed since his first stint. It is my opinion that many of the best of the best, especially the out of state players, are going to take a long look at going to programs that currently have winning programs (NDSU, EWU etc.) and I wouldn't put in Griz in that category. Coaching is hard and there is probably a 50/50 chance or greater that Hauck will never bring this program back to where it was. For every coach that wins there is another who loses. I have nothing against Hauck, and I don't really care if he stays 10 years. Some of those years may be a lot better than this one.
I do hope he checks out opportunities for offensive
and defensive coordinators in the off season but there may not be many of those at Costco either. I guess the one saving grace about recruiting in-state is that the Cats are just as shitty and twice as boring so there isn't much incentive for the best in-state players to go there.

Might want to put the 'ol tail between the legs and give a call to Mike Ferriter.

I think that ship has sailed.

Back