• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

PlayerRep said:
catsack said:
PlayerRep said:
catsack said:
Only if he could hit the wide open receivers, he might be leading the league in most of those categories!

Nobody hits the wide open receivers all the time. Do you think the Griz receivers are open more often than the receivers of other teams?

Maier is at 64%. Sneed is at 62%.

Some of you seem to think that good qb's never miss.
Good QBS rarely miss the wide open throws , Sneed misses more than not , he could easily have six more TD passes!

Good qb's miss wide open receivers frequently, in games. Pressure impacts throws. Vision, or blocked vision. Other factors. Jeez, good ab's miss receivers in practice, when they are no defenders, sometimes.

Don't mess with him catsack! The guy is oblivious and monotonous! My god!

At least we've gotten a little more clear distinction between "pretty good" and "good".....and by inference "very good". "Very good" being at least one TD and no picks.

rgrizfan said:
Does anybody have a replay of the Bingham fumble? I would like to see the handoff.

It's on the UND highlights posted here somewhere. He appears to grab for the ball and loses the handle instead of letting the ball be placed in the pocket.

Fahque said:
rgrizfan said:
Does anybody have a replay of the Bingham fumble? I would like to see the handoff.

It's on the UND highlights posted here somewhere. He appears to grab for the ball and loses the handle instead of letting the ball be placed in the pocket.

Definitely not a running back or a person who is used to getting handoff's...

PlayerRep said:
Ursa Major said:
PlayerRep said:
grzz said:
Only you would cherry pick one stat from a game in which the offense scored ZERO points when Sneed was on the field to support how good he is. Look, I really like Sneed, I think he is a leader and a hell of an athlete, but it doesn't prevent me from looking at things objectively.

Sneed's FULL line against UND was 25/38 for 200 yards, no TDs, 1 interception.

That may be 66% but it is also 5.3 yards per attempt, which is bad. Spin it however you want, but that will rarely win games in the Big Sky. The ball is not getting pushed down the field enough.

If you want to say that was against the best defense the team has faced so far, no problem.

For the season, he is 161/260 for 1596 yards, 10 tds, 4 interceptions.

That is 62% and a 6.14 yards per attempt. He has also added a net of 423 rushing yards, with 5 touchdowns and 3 fumbles. I will not discount that 220 of those yards came in one game, as you keep doing when comparing him to a former Griz QB.

Like I said, I really like Sneed. I hope that he can lead this team to great things this year, but the yards per attempt illustrates a major shortcoming of the offense, and of course good completion percentages and limiting turnovers is very important, at some point if you can't throw the ball down the field consistently it doesn't matter. Otherwise teams would never move on from Alex Smith in the NFL.

I'm not spinning anything, and I didn't cherry pick anything 25-38-1 is just plain pretty good. Oh, BS on 25-38 and a 5.3 per attempt not winning many Big Sky games. It would win a lot of games. 2.9 per attempt on 6-15-1 passing won the NAU game last season.

Had UM had no turnovers, it probably would have beaten UND, or at least be right in it, in my opinion.

I truly can't believe that some of you don't know how critical turnovers are, especially ones early in the game and at the wrong places on the field and wrong times.

I'm not spinning anything, and I didn't cherry pick anything

Followed by using an example of a once in a generation game where a converted tight end is the starting quarterback and the opponent's starting QB is kicked out of the game on a targeting call. :roll: :roll: :roll:

It was a recent example. Just went to last year's schedule and starting looking. Nothing was cherry picked.

25-38 wins a lot of football games.

Sneed is 2d in the conference in pass completion percentage. Only behind the Davis qb. 3d in the conference in passing yards per game. 3d in passing TD's. 3d in total offense. According to Big Sky conference stats.

The problem with your analysis in this case is it is very simple minded and narrowly focussed. It doesn't tell the whole story.

reinell30 said:
Fahque said:
rgrizfan said:

Agreed. IMO, he shouldn't have been put in that situation

Fahque said:
reinell30 said:
Fahque said:
rgrizfan said:

So you mean Jeremy Calhoun should have gotten the damn ball?

reinell30 said:
Fahque said:
reinell30 said:
Fahque said:

Or Lee, or Eastwood..

Fahque said:
reinell30 said:
Fahque said:
reinell30 said:

Or Lee, or Eastwood..

Yes, the Griz have been so good on 3d and 1 and 4th and 1 this season, with their running backs, that why not just do that. Jeez, how many posters have bitched about Eastwood not being able to pick up one yard? Lee hadn't even been in the game, had he? Let's bring him cold off the bench. I'm always good with Calhoun, and wish he hadn't gotten in trouble and wish he was playing more.

PlayerRep said:
Fahque said:
reinell30 said:
Fahque said:

Or Lee, or Eastwood..

Yes, the Griz have been so good on 3d and 1 and 4th and 1 this season, with their running backs, that why not just do that. Jeez, how many posters have bitched about Eastwood not being able to pick up one yard? Lee hadn't even been in the game, had he? Let's bring him cold off the bench. I'm always good with Calhoun, and wish he hadn't gotten in trouble and wish he was playing more.

I wasn't saying that they definitely would've picked up the touchdown or that they would not have fumbled, just don't understand putting a tight end in the backfield and expecting them to get the handoff when that is obviously not something they practice every day. And since your new favorite word seems to be jeez, I leave you with that. Jeez

Fahque said:
PlayerRep said:
Fahque said:
reinell30 said:

Or Lee, or Eastwood..

I wasn't saying that they definitely would've picked up the touchdown or that they would not have fumbled, just don't understand putting a tight end in the backfield and expecting them to get the handoff when that is obviously not something they practice every day. And since your new favorite word seems to be jeez, I leave you with that. Jeez

I can understand your asking the question. You don't necessarily know how often they practice the play. I'm just pointing out that people, maybe not you, have been complaining about Eastwood being unable to pick up key yards. Jeez, just a counterpoint to your post. Ha.

PlayerRep said:
Fahque said:
reinell30 said:
Fahque said:

Or Lee, or Eastwood..

It was second down and Calhoun traveled and played in the game. If the punishment is he can't come in the game at that point, that is a poor coaching decision.

grzz said:
PlayerRep said:
Fahque said:
reinell30 said:

Or Lee, or Eastwood..

It was second down and Calhoun traveled and played in the game. If the punishment is he can't come in the game at that point, that is a poor coaching decision.

So, tell us more. Do you think Eastwood would have picked up the 1? If so, why/how?

Had Calhoun been in the game at that point? He didn't have a rush by then. As I said, I like Calhoun.

I just find a lot of comments on egriz to be comments done in hindsight.

Had Eastwood carried and not made it, say in 2 straight carries, then the complaint would have been, why didn't they do something else?

Had Calhoun come in and fumbled, the complaint would have been, why did they bring a back who hadn't played at all, and who hadn't played much for a month?

I'm fine with asking the question about whether this was the right play? I am hamstrung a bit by not having seen the play. Did Bingham get hit in the back as he was starting to go down?

Stupid play calls that don't work look at critical times look monumentally stupid.*
Stupid play calls that do work are lucky, but still stupid.
Stupid play calls at critical times in multiple games that don't work suggest the play caller(s) has not mastered, or has lost or is beginning to lose the ability to learn from mistakes.

I expect these types of mistakes from a move-up head coach or first time coordinator, not a drop down seasoned head coach or drop down coordinator. I'd like nothing better than Bobby and this team to succeed. I never expected so many breakdowns in fundamentals, especially how they have snowballed as the season progressed, from a team coached by this staff. I was prepared to see a team lacking in experienced talent and depth at trench positions struggle, but not from the talented and experienced skill position players. Because of how well these players have shown they can play in early games we know they can do it. I expect Bobby and his staff will correct the breakdowns in fundamentals and restore discipline to fundamentals and play calling over the bye week. If I'm wrong on this, maybe it is true you can't go home again.

* Testing the potential for success of the swinging gate conversion play and TE dive play would not have been stupid if tried in situations where failure would not affect the outcome of the game.

horribilisfan8184 said:
Stupid play calls that don't work look at critical times look monumentally stupid.*
Stupid play calls at critical times in multiple games that don't work suggest the play caller(s) has not mastered, or has lost or is beginning to lose the ability to learn from mistakes.

I expect these types of mistakes from a move-up head coach or first time coordinator, not a drop down seasoned head coach or drop down coordinator. I'd like nothing better than Bobby and this team to succeed. I never expected so many breakdowns in fundamentals, especially how they have snowballed as the season progressed, from a team coached by this staff. I was prepared to see a team lacking in experienced talent and depth at trench positions struggle, but not from the talented and experienced skill position players. Because of how well these players have shown they can play in early games we know they can do it. I expect Bobby and his staff will correct the breakdowns in fundamentals and restore discipline to fundamentals and play calling over the bye week. If I'm wrong on this, maybe it is true you can't go home again.

* Testing the potential for success of the swinging gate conversion play and TE dive play would not have been stupid if tried in situations where failure would not affect the outcome of the game.

Some play calls that work are good calls. Some play calls that work are deemed to have been brilliant. Had this played worked, or even if there had been no fumble and UM had scored on the next play, no one would have said anything about the play.

Any play, whether conventional or unconventional, that doesn't work, or that has a bad result, is subject to criticism.

I don't expect unconventional calls to come mainly from inexperienced coaches. Jeez, look at the Seahawks pass call on the one that got intercepted several years ago, in the Super Bowl.

PlayerRep said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

Some play calls that work are good calls. Some play calls that work are deemed to have been brilliant. Had this played worked, or even if there had been no fumble and UM had scored on the next play, no one would have said anything about the play.

Any play, whether conventional or unconventional, that doesn't work, or that has a bad result, is subject to criticism.

I don't expect unconventional calls to come mainly from inexperienced coaches. Jeez, look at the Seahawks pass call on the one that got intercepted several years ago, in the Super Bowl.

And here we are 4 years later still talking about how terrible that play call was...

hilinegrizfan said:
PlayerRep said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

And here we are 4 years later still talking about how terrible that play call was...

Had the play been successful, it would have been a great call. I thought it should be a run, but I never thought it was terrible call. I think it would a great play by the d-back.

PlayerRep said:
hilinegrizfan said:
PlayerRep said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

Had the play been successful, it would have been a great call. I thought it should be a run, but I never thought it was terrible call. I think it would a great play by the d-back.
or the eagles trick play in the super bowl last year where a flippin' tight end throws a td pass to the qb from the 1. people are calling it one of the greatest plays in super bowl history. if that tight end throws a crap ball or foles drops it we'd be saying how awful it is. what the hell is a tight end throwing for?! why the hell is the qb trying to catch?!

hindsight is just an AWESOME thing....

ilovethecats said:
PlayerRep said:
hilinegrizfan said:
PlayerRep said:

or the eagles trick play in the super bowl last year where a flippin' tight end throws a td pass to the qb from the 1. people are calling it one of the greatest plays in super bowl history. if that tight end throws a crap ball or foles drops it we'd be saying how awful it is. what the hell is a tight end throwing for?! why the hell is the qb trying to catch?!

hindsight is just an AWESOME thing....

good point. touche

PlayerRep said:

Had Eastwood carried and not made it, say in 2 straight carries, then the complaint would have been, why didn't they do something else?

Had Calhoun come in and fumbled, the complaint would have been, why did they bring a back who hadn't played at all, and who hadn't played much for a month?

I'm fine with asking the question about whether this was the right play? I am hamstrung a bit by not having seen the play. Did Bingham get hit in the back as he was starting to go down?

You just now coming to this conclusion? eGriz is single the greatest compilation of Monday morning QB's on the planet.

And no...he fumbled the exchange, essentially. never really had possession.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

You just now coming to this conclusion? eGriz is single the greatest compilation of Monday morning QB's on the planet.

And no...he fumbled the exchange, essentially. never really had possession.

No, I came to that conclusion many years ago, and it remains.

Back