• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

AZ Griz: I think you have the knowledge and experience to be taken seriously, and i generally agree with your common sense approach to (The Sky is Falling) posters.

Griz#64 said:
Christ sakes Guys: Jensen is gone. I am just happy that Humphrey is a quality Back.up if Sneed is injured... Have you seen the situation the Cats are in?? Rovig is down, Maybe they a have a Defensive tackle that can come in if TA goes south. Hell the Bobcat enshrined hero Sonny Holland may be able to Have another year of eligibility. Go Griz

:lol:

MiningCityGrizFan said:
The called handoff to a TE on the goal line.

The Griz were set up to make it a 7-point game, but for some unexplained reason, with a senior RB who has scored 26 TDs as a Grizzly (many in short-yardage, goal-line situations), the coaches decide to give the ball to Collin Bingham. A tight end who had never taken a handoff before then. At least not in college.

He subsequently fumbles and ND marches 98 yards to go up 21-0.

I get that Calhoun was in the doghouse to start the season because of the fight and the subsequent legal problems, but the kid has paid his dues. The staff put him on the 2-deep. He was flown to the game. He was ready to go.

SO WHY IN THE HELL DIDN'T ROSENBACH JUST HAVE HIS QB HAND THE BALL TO THE EXPERIENCED, VETERAN SENIOR RUNNING BACK?! WHY DID HE ONCE AGAIN HAVE TO GET CUTE (I'M STILL PISSED ABOUT THAT FAILED 2-PT CONVERSION LAST WEEK).

COACH HAUCK -- CAN YOU PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE STOP WITH THE PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE COACHING BULLS**T, STOP WITH THE HEAD GAMES, STOP PLAYING FAVORITES, START PUTTING YOUR BEST GOD D**N PLAYERS ON THE FIELD AND GIVE THEM THE BEST OPPORTUNITY TO COMPETE?!

This was a bad call and in the prior week the griz needed a 2 pt conversion against PSU so they went with a kicker fake play rather than a good 2 pt play utilizing the offense. That was another head scratcher that I was surprised Bobby was involved with.

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
25 - 38 (0 points in about 3 quarters) - 1 (yes, one pick that turned into 7 points). It effectively ended the game based Sneed's scoring production for the day a couple minutes in and before many figured out what channel the game was on! That is isn't pretty good, good or very good. "Completion percentage" don't score points or win games!. His one pick led to more points than he produced.

You said "A parent of a starting receiver is a very good person to evaluate QB's". I disagreed based on that statement.

I've got one for you, "A parent of a second string receiver is a very good person to evaluate receivers." And in his estimation his kid should be starting dammit! Move that starter's Dad you know down to 2nd string! He'll quit evaluating QB's and become "very good" at evaluating WR's!

25-38 is pretty good, especially when qb is under pressure and being rushed.

A parent of a receiver who isn't starting is probably not a good evaluator of receivers.

What type of completion % does it take to get to "good" or "very good" How often to QB's have "pretty good" "good" or "very good" games and go scoreless?

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
25 - 38 (0 points in about 3 quarters) - 1 (yes, one pick that turned into 7 points). It effectively ended the game based Sneed's scoring production for the day a couple minutes in and before many figured out what channel the game was on! That is isn't pretty good, good or very good. "Completion percentage" don't score points or win games!. His one pick led to more points than he produced.

You said "A parent of a starting receiver is a very good person to evaluate QB's". I disagreed based on that statement.

I've got one for you, "A parent of a second string receiver is a very good person to evaluate receivers." And in his estimation his kid should be starting dammit! Move that starter's Dad you know down to 2nd string! He'll quit evaluating QB's and become "very good" at evaluating WR's!

A parent of a receiver who isn't starting is probably not a good evaluator of receivers.

What type of completion % does it take to get to "good" or "very good" How often to QB's have "pretty good" "good" or "very good" games and go scoreless?

Being 25-38 is the definition of good or pretty good. A pick and no TD's or scores gets it back to pretty good. No fumbles helps. While scores are impacted by qb's and scoring, they are also impacted by the other's team defense, including pass defense; turnovers and where they are; drops by receivers; inopportune penalties; the quality of the o-line; occasional calls by refs; and other factors.

UND has a good defense. Very good corners, who play man. A very good pass rush with blitzing and sacks.

Surprised that you don't know these things. I guess you're just a basketball guy.

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:

Being 25-38 is the definition of good or pretty good. A pick and no TD's or scores gets it back to pretty good. No fumbles helps. While scores are impacted by qb's and scoring, they are also impacted by the other's team defense, including pass defense; turnovers and where they are; drops by receivers; inopportune penalties; the quality of the o-line; occasional calls by refs; and other factors.

UND has a good defense. Very good corners, who play man. A very good pass rush with blitzing and sacks.

Surprised that you don't know these things. I guess you're just a basketball guy.

Only you would cherry pick one stat from a game in which the offense scored ZERO points when Sneed was on the field to support how good he is. Look, I really like Sneed, I think he is a leader and a hell of an athlete, but it doesn't prevent me from looking at things objectively.

Sneed's FULL line against UND was 25/38 for 200 yards, no TDs, 1 interception.

That may be 66% but it is also 5.3 yards per attempt, which is bad. Spin it however you want, but that will rarely win games in the Big Sky. The ball is not getting pushed down the field enough.

If you want to say that was against the best defense the team has faced so far, no problem.

For the season, he is 161/260 for 1596 yards, 10 tds, 4 interceptions.

That is 62% and a 6.14 yards per attempt. He has also added a net of 423 rushing yards, with 5 touchdowns and 3 fumbles. I will not discount that 220 of those yards came in one game, as you keep doing when comparing him to a former Griz QB.

Like I said, I really like Sneed. I hope that he can lead this team to great things this year, but the yards per attempt illustrates a major shortcoming of the offense, and of course good completion percentages and limiting turnovers is very important, at some point if you can't throw the ball down the field consistently it doesn't matter. Otherwise teams would never move on from Alex Smith in the NFL.

grzz said:
PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Only you would cherry pick one stat from a game in which the offense scored ZERO points when Sneed was on the field to support how good he is. Look, I really like Sneed, I think he is a leader and a hell of an athlete, but it doesn't prevent me from looking at things objectively.

That may be 66% but it is also 5.3 yards per attempt, which is bad. Spin it however you want, but that will rarely win games in the Big Sky. The ball is not getting pushed down the field enough.

If you want to say that was against the best defense the team has faced so far, no problem.

That is 62% and a 6.14 yards per attempt. He has also added a net of 423 rushing yards, with 5 touchdowns and 3 fumbles. I will not discount that 220 of those yards came in one game, as you keep doing when comparing him to a former Griz QB.

Like I said, I really like Sneed. I hope that he can lead this team to great things this year, but the yards per attempt illustrates a major shortcoming of the offense, and of course good completion percentages and limiting turnovers is very important, at some point if you can't throw the ball down the field consistently it doesn't matter. Otherwise teams would never move on from Alex Smith in the NFL.

I'm not spinning anything, and I didn't cherry pick anything 25-38-1 is just plain pretty good. Oh, BS on 25-38 and a 5.3 per attempt not winning many Big Sky games. It would win a lot of games. 2.9 per attempt on 6-15-1 passing won the NAU game last season.

Had UM had no turnovers, it probably would have beaten UND, or at least be right in it, in my opinion.

I truly can't believe that some of you don't know how critical turnovers are, especially ones early in the game and at the wrong places on the field and wrong times.

grzz said:
PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:

And 70 of those passing yards came on the hitch and go.

grzz said:
PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Game, Set, Match, Grzz :clap: :clap: :clap:

PlayerRep said:
grzz said:
PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:

I'm not spinning anything, and I didn't cherry pick anything 25-38-1 is just plain pretty good. Oh, BS on 25-38 and a 5.3 per attempt not winning many Big Sky games. It would win a lot of games. 2.9 per attempt on 6-15-1 passing won the NAU game last season.

Had UM had no turnovers, it probably would have beaten UND, or at least be right in it, in my opinion.

I truly can't believe that some of you don't know how critical turnovers are, especially ones early in the game and at the wrong places on the field and wrong times.

I'm not spinning anything, and I didn't cherry pick anything

Followed by using an example of a once in a generation game where a converted tight end is the starting quarterback and the opponent's starting QB is kicked out of the game on a targeting call. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ursa Major said:
PlayerRep said:
grzz said:
PlayerRep said:

Followed by using an example of a once in a generation game where a converted tight end is the starting quarterback and the opponent's starting QB is kicked out of the game on a targeting call. :roll: :roll: :roll:

It was a recent example. Just went to last year's schedule and starting looking. Nothing was cherry picked.

25-38 wins a lot of football games.

Sneed is 2d in the conference in pass completion percentage. Only behind the Davis qb. 3d in the conference in passing yards per game. 3d in passing TD's. 3d in total offense. According to Big Sky conference stats.

PlayerRep said:
Ursa Major said:
PlayerRep said:
grzz said:

It was a recent example. Just went to last year's schedule and starting looking. Nothing was cherry picked.

Sneed is 2d in the conference in pass completion percentage. Only behind the Davis qb. 3d in the conference in passing yards per game. 3d in passing TD's. 3d in total offense. According to Big Sky conference stats.
Only if he could hit the wide open receivers, he might be leading the league in most of those categories!

catsack said:
PlayerRep said:
Ursa Major said:
PlayerRep said:

Only if he could hit the wide open receivers, he might be leading the league in most of those categories!

Nobody hits the wide open receivers all the time. Do you think the Griz receivers are open more often than the receivers of other teams?

Maier is at 64%. Sneed is at 62%.

Some of you seem to think that good qb's never miss.

Player, some light reading for you:

https://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/12/the-importance-of-passing-yards-per-attempt/

Oh, here is another:
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/7/8/4501716/nfl-statistics-yards-per-attempt

And another:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/261433-nfl-stat-analysis-yards-per-attempt-more-important-than-you-think

I could go on, but you won't read them anyway.

And if you're really curious, here is the NFL active yards per attempt career leaders. Most on the board would probably takes the guys at the top of the list because generally better QBs have better YPA numbers, but you may be a Matt Cassel guy, and that is fine...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_yds_per_att_active.htm

PlayerRep said:
catsack said:
PlayerRep said:
Ursa Major said:

Nobody hits the wide open receivers all the time. Do you think the Griz receivers are open more often than the receivers of other teams?

Good QBS rarely miss the wide open throws , Sneed misses more than not , he could easily have six more TD passes!

catsack said:
PlayerRep said:
catsack said:
PlayerRep said:

Good QBS rarely miss the wide open throws , Sneed misses more than not , he could easily have six more TD passes!

Good qb's miss wide open receivers frequently, in games. Pressure impacts throws. Vision, or blocked vision. Other factors. Jeez, good ab's miss receivers in practice, when they are no defenders, sometimes.

Back