• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
ordigger said:
It does seem at times Hauck gets a little to cute with his plays. Last week that stupid 2 point try contributed to that loss.

Do you think Hauck called that play? I don't.

Are you suggesting Hauck didn't recognize a play call with the TE lined up in the backfield to receive a handoff? Holy shit! We've got bigger problems than I thought!!!

Dp you think Hauck called the play? You are truly a football idiot.

I think he's the headcoach. I think he wears a headset. I think he listens to every personnel package and every play call. And I think he has the ability to override any of those. And if he doesn't, we....are....FUCKED!!!!!!!

But then, I'm only an expert on the game and never played it in 19ought2, so.....

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Do you think Hauck called that play? I don't.

Are you suggesting Hauck didn't recognize a play call with the TE lined up in the backfield to receive a handoff? Holy shit! We've got bigger problems than I thought!!!

I think he's the headcoach. I think he wears a headset. I think he listens to every personnel package and every play call. And I think he has the ability to override any of those. And if he doesn't, we....are....f***[*]!!!!!!!

But then, I'm only an expert on the game and never played it in 19ought2, so.....

Answer the question. Do you think he called the play? Of course, he didn't.

Do you think Rosenbach or Pease have any experience in calling plays?

Do you think you are a better play caller than Rosenbach and Pease?

You may be the dumbest football poster on egriz.

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

I think he's the headcoach. I think he wears a headset. I think he listens to every personnel package and every play call. And I think he has the ability to override any of those. And if he doesn't, we....are....f***[*]!!!!!!!

1. I don't know, and don't care. He's the head coach. He's responsible and could certainly override any call as shitty as that one. And if he doesn't, well.....

2. I think they do. I don't know that any of it is great or overly succussful, and I think their careers are in reverse.

3. About even. I know I wouldn't have called that cluster fvck.

MiningCityGrizFan said:
The called handoff to a TE on the goal line.

The Griz were set up to make it a 7-point game, but for some unexplained reason, with a senior RB who has scored 26 TDs as a Grizzly (many in short-yardage, goal-line situations), the coaches decide to give the ball to Collin Bingham. A tight end who had never taken a handoff before then. At least not in college.

He subsequently fumbles and ND marches 98 yards to go up 21-0.

I get that Calhoun was in the doghouse to start the season because of the fight and the subsequent legal problems, but the kid has paid his dues. The staff put him on the 2-deep. He was flown to the game. He was ready to go.

SO WHY IN THE HELL DIDN'T ROSENBACH JUST HAVE HIS QB HAND THE BALL TO THE EXPERIENCED, VETERAN SENIOR RUNNING BACK?! WHY DID HE ONCE AGAIN HAVE TO GET CUTE (I'M STILL PISSED ABOUT THAT FAILED 2-PT CONVERSION LAST WEEK).

COACH HAUCK -- CAN YOU PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE STOP WITH THE PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE COACHING BULLS**T, STOP WITH THE HEAD GAMES, STOP PLAYING FAVORITES, START PUTTING YOUR BEST GOD D**N PLAYERS ON THE FIELD AND GIVE THEM THE BEST OPPORTUNITY TO COMPETE?!
WHAT OC called this friggin' PLAY??????

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

1. I don't know, and don't care. He's the head coach. He's responsible and could certainly override any call as shitty as that one. And if he doesn't, well.....

2. I think they do. I don't know that any of it is great or overly succussful, and I think their careers are in reverse.

3. About even. I know I wouldn't have called that cluster fvck.

Like I've said, you are a football idiot.

Nationally ranked tennis player? That is pretty funny.

MiningCityGrizFan said:

The Griz were set up to make it a 7-point game, but for some unexplained reason, with a senior RB who has scored 26 TDs as a Grizzly (many in short-yardage, goal-line situations), the coaches decide to give the ball to Collin Bingham. A tight end who had never taken a handoff before then. At least not in college.

I get that Calhoun was in the doghouse to start the season because of the fight and the subsequent legal problems, but the kid has paid his dues. The staff put him on the 2-deep. He was flown to the game. He was ready to go.

SO WHY IN THE HELL DIDN'T ROSENBACH JUST HAVE HIS QB HAND THE BALL TO THE EXPERIENCED, VETERAN SENIOR RUNNING BACK?! WHY DID HE ONCE AGAIN HAVE TO GET CUTE (I'M STILL PISSED ABOUT THAT FAILED 2-PT CONVERSION LAST WEEK).

COACH HAUCK -- CAN YOU PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE STOP WITH THE PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE COACHING BULLS**T, STOP WITH THE HEAD GAMES, STOP PLAYING FAVORITES, START PUTTING YOUR BEST GOD D**N PLAYERS ON THE FIELD AND GIVE THEM THE BEST OPPORTUNITY TO COMPETE?!

Mining,

What is the passive-aggressive play calling?

What are the head games?

Where is Hauck playing favorites?

Who are the best players not getting the field?

Can't wait to see your response. Thanks in advance.

It seemed to me, right before the snap there was some confusion, I'm not sure he was supposed to get the ball, the running back(can't remember who was in then) looked confused and went the wrong way. I could be wrong, looked wrong from the very beginning.

1972 said:
It seemed to me, right before the snap there was some confusion, I'm not sure he was supposed to get the ball, the running back(can't remember who was in then) looked confused and went the wrong way. I could be wrong, looked wrong from the very beginning.

It did look rushed, I wasn't sure the RB was even set. Very poorly executed play on many levels.

No one play lost this game. It certainly did kill momentum and made the game feel like the PSU game. The players I am certain wanted to avoid anything that looked like the PSU game and were determined and certain it couldnt be that bad again. Then it was, and sometmes when you are focused on avoiding something rather than just focusing on playing fundamentally correct you end up recreating the very thing you are trying to avoid. Its in your head. They had to be thinking, like I was, we couldnt have that many bad plays ever again but we did. Defense I am sure was frustrated and demoralized as well because it just didnt matter how well they played they kept getting put in bad situations. Though they made mistakes too. Bye week couldnt have come at a better time.

Looks to me like it all went to hell when they stepped into the GoGravy Center.

It might have been better had they played this one in the elements. @ least that might have slowed the Siouxzies. Or there might have been more turnovers... never mind.

It’s funny that guys on here think that call was “cute” or “tricky”. It was a simple hand off to the fullback. Lol. I’m sure they practiced that play. If the players execute it, it probably isn’t a horrible call with the problems they have had with the o line and short yardage.

GGG21 said:
It’s funny that guys on here think that call was “cute” or “tricky”. It was a simple hand off to the fullback. Lol. I’m sure they practiced that play. If the players execute it, it probably isn’t a horrible call with the problems they have had with the o line and short yardage.

Except that fullback was a tight end, when we have actual fullbacks on the team.

AZGrizFan said:
GGG21 said:

Except that fullback was a tight end, when we have actual fullbacks on the team.

And that makes it tricky or cute? Ok.

AZGrizFan said:
GGG21 said:

A TE who later had a bad drop on a third down.

PlayerRep said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:

I get that Calhoun was in the doghouse to start the season because of the fight and the subsequent legal problems, but the kid has paid his dues. The staff put him on the 2-deep. They flew him to ND and dressed him out. He was ready to go.

Mining,

What is the passive-aggressive play calling?

What are the head games?

Where is Hauck playing favorites?

Who are the best players not getting the field?

Can't wait to see your response. Thanks in advance.

Not passive-aggressive play calling, passive-aggressive coaching.

I was specifically referring to the way they are destroying Jeremy Calhoun's senior season. The kid got into trouble over the off-season, ended up suspended for the first three games. Finally has a chance to play against Sac State and ends up taking a shot.

https://twitter.com/ShaunRainey/status/1043901284917510144

Despite the shot he takes (I still think it was targeting), he appeared okay and was seen on video celebrating with his team in the locker room.

https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizFB/status/1043896032751276032

He is not allowed to make the trip to Cal Poly -- he's from SoCal, so that was the last game many of his family and friends would get to come and see him play in because he's a senior.

He doesn't play at all versus Portland State -- Homecoming game his senior year.

He makes the two-deep for the North Dakota game and is left on the bench in a goal-line situation despite having scored more touchdowns than any other player wearing a Griz helmet that day and has to watch a TE fumble a hand-off he's taken 10,000 during his career.

All of this is what I consider to be passive-aggressive coaching.

Forcing a senior RB to watch as you call a goal-line running play to a TE who has never taken a hand-off before, that is a clear example of what I consider to be a head game.

And for those of you saying Bingham probably practiced that play before, so it wasn't a cute play -- I disagree (shocker, right?). I coached dozens of young players on how to receive a handoff over the years. If they've never taken a hand-off before, they tend to want to grab for the ball rather than allow it to be placed in their gut.

That's the key coaching point you reinforce with the handoff drills.

Unfortunately, when I watched that play yesterday, Bingham appears to reach for the ball rather than allow Sneed to complete the handoff and not surprisingly, it led to a fumble. That tells me that he wasn't prepared to be taking that handoff in that situation and it's on the coaches for putting him in that position.

As for the playing favorites and best players not getting on the field.

I would again say Eastwood playing over Calhoun at running back is a clear sign of favoritism. With his size, ability, and experience, there is no question in my mind that Calhoun should have been in on that goal-line play.

I think the fact that he is a Stitt guy has played into his role on this team or lack thereof. Another example of the passive-aggressive coaching I alluded to earlier.

The biggest favorite though is Sneed. He should have been taken out and kept out against PSU. Humphrey came in that game and led the best drive of the day in the 2nd quarter. He didn't score, but it was his first meaningful game action as Griz. I was excited to see what he'd do in his second series. Plus, there was finally life in the team and some excitement in the stadium. For some unexplained reason though, Sneed was out there again the very next offensive series.

I take that last part back. It's not unexplained. It's favoritism.

And what's worse, when you see how well Gresch is doing, they have a lot riding on Sneed's success. If you are following him, it's pretty obvious he's going to end up at a major FBS school. Which means that Hauck and company will have to explain why they let that level of talent walk in favor of a kid who clearly struggles to consistently complete downfield throws.

So it appears that they are going to play Sneed and won't take him out until the team is struggling because they need him to be successful for their own credibility.

For the record, this is nothing personal about Sneed. I admittedly am still bothered by how Jensen was treated, but that ship has sailed. And I don't blame Sneed for that, I blame Rosenbach and to a lesser degree Hauck because I believe there was some animosity towards Stitt, and Gresch was Stitt's guy. I believe the passive-aggressive head games and favoritism towards Sneed are the reason Gresch ultimately left.

Again, this isn't about Gresch. He's on to bigger and better things. No, this is about the players on the team now. Specifically, the talent the Griz have at the skill positions that don't complement Sneed's strengths as a QB. The fact is that Sneed is a tremendous athlete, but very average QB.

There are a number of different packages that Rosey could develop for Sneed so that he could allow him to contribute in the right situations. But with the way this offensive unit is built, especially with a young OL, Sneed as a full-time starter is now a liability.

Teams have a blueprint on how to beat Sneed. They don't have to defend the long ball; they can bring up the safeties to key on the run, overwhelm the line, and take away the short passing game. And truth be told, Sneed lacks touch on his short passes as well.

His struggles led to UM losing the time of possession battles, which forces the defense to play way too much. Dante is a stud, but the defense playing 2/3rds of every game is one of the reasons why he's leading the nation in tackles.

As the season goes on, the defense will inevitably wear down. Do you want to watch Troy Anderson run all over a worn down Grizzly defense (coming off two straight road games) next month?

I sure as hell don't.

Humphrey should be starting against UC Davis coming out of the bye week. The Griz offense will have two full weeks to prepare with Cam taking the majority of the snaps with the ones. That will confuse Davis because they have virtually zero film on Cam -- similar to the advantage Sneed had over UNI.

Best of all, it will force teams to respect the long ball for the rest of the season. That will prevent defenses from keying on the run. It will open up the running lanes and allow Rosey to begin mixing the play and the pass.

That's precisely what he did yesterday with the last TD to Sammy. It was a play action that worked because they overplayed the run and forgot that a QB was in the game that could make the throw over the top.

Best of all, it will keep the Griz defense from having to play almost 40 minutes a game.

Alright, as usual, my post is way too long, but those are my thoughts...

Great post, MCGF.

I agree with all of it, but perhaps none more so than how teams are defending the Griz. There is no respect for any deep balls -- why would there be? -- and the safeties are crowding on nearly every play. This has the effect of taking away the run game and the crossing routes in the passing game. If you can't extend the defense, it's difficult to win in today's game. And unfortunately Sneed has shown absolutely no ability to do so.

AZGrizFan said:
Phenomenal post, MiningCity. :clap: :clap:

I would say long-winded post. All he said was that Calhoun should play more, and should have gotten the goal line snap instead of Bingham, and Humphrey should start. None of those things would have caused the Griz receivers, running backs, and returners not to fumble. Fumbles are most of what caused the 3 losses, along with some special team goof ups. Sneed has only 3 picks this season. That is darn good.

I like Calhoun and would be fine with him playing more. However, he did get into trouble (the punch) and then got into more trouble a month or so later. And there is the athletic code of conduct, which the coaches don't administer. He did get a concussion. Don't think that can be blamed on passive-aggressive coaching. The refs call targeting, not the coaches or the fans. Calhoun didn't go to CP due to his concussion. Don't know what the story was for PSU. Calhoun had one less carry than Eastwood yesterday.

The fact remains that Sneed has a higher passing percentage than Jensen had last year and has this year, a higher passing percentage than Humphrey yesterday and this year, and is a much better runner than both of them. Apparently, a very good leader too.

If you guys think Mining's is a great post, go for it. Shows me that none of you have a clue.

Agreed: where is Lee.or, any experience Running back.Even the Damn Quarter back..Christ, This is the kinda Crap that gets Coaches Run off.Justifiably. Just unbelievable that experienced Coaches would even consider that crap in a pivotal game down two TDs....

Back