• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Volleyball

Happygriz1 said:
Allison Laurence rallied her team to a 5 set win over the defending big sky champs

I saw that. Very cool, and maybe a huge win for these girls

I decided on a whim early last season to go watch new coach, Allison Lawrence's, young Montana Grizzly volleyball team... and have been a loyal fan ever since.

Lawrence has dramatically reversed the culture of Montana volleyball.... a "Montana Tough" attitude that builds game by game. Picked to finish 9th in the Big Sky this year, the team has shown early signs they'll challenge that prediction. Last week Montana upset the defending Big Sky champs, Sac State (which promptly beat Montana State in Bozeman), before beating Portland State and then, tonight, ekeing out an exciting 5-set match win over the Bobcats before a large crowd in Dahlberg Arena.

They're still young and learning. Two freshmen, Sarina Moreno (Msla Sentinel H. S.) and Olivia Bradley (Nampa Idaho H. S.) are seeing a lot of time on court, and giving the Griz punch on offense and defense. It's a team that often seems over-sized and over-matched on court, but they play a fast, aggressive game. They never give up and, after losing several tight matches late, are now winning those same kind of matches late.

If you have a chance, take in a game or two. A top four finish still seems a bit of a long shot, but I think the team has a solid chance to qualify for the post season tourney.

[media]https://twitter.com/quartzglen/status/1044819835283214339[/media]

Last home match of the season tonight, and they got swept in three straight sets by Weber State.

Saturday's match at Idaho State is a must-win if they want to get into the tournament.

Congratulations to second-year Montana Volleyball coach Allison Lawrence and her GizzlyVB team on a resurgent 3-1 road victory that accomplished several steps for the team:
1. A 7th place finish in the final Big Sky Conf. league play standings.
2. The road win qualified Montana as a participant in the Big Sky post-season tourney after a four-year absence. With the win, Montana also moved ahead of 8th place Montana State in the standings.
3. I suppose that doesn't seem too impressive, but it signifies Lawrence's ability -- in just her second hear as head coach -- to reverse the team's slide to the bottom of the Big Sky under two previous coaches.
4. Two (or perhaps 3) of Lawrence's recruits -- Sarina Moreno fr. (Msla. Sentinel), Olivia Bradley fr. (Nampa, ID Skyview) and Bailey Perman So.(Pocatello ID Century) -- logged essential minutes (Moreno and Perman as full-time starters) for Montana this year. Add in three redshirts from this year and a pretty impressive recruiting class for 2019... and things look pretty promising for the future.
5. Montana will graduate veteran leaders Mykaela Hammer, Cassie Laramee and Alexis Urbach, but Lawrence has certainly started a turnaround for Montana.
6. It will probably take another year... but who knows... this team has a winning identity and, it's possible several incoming players can put Montana into contention once again.

Congrats Coach Lawrence! Best wishes in the tourney. Go Griz

Video below: Montana freshman, Olivia Bradley, serving up one her 6 service aces against Idaho State in last night's win.

[media]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizVB/status/1063981519981568000[/media]

Skyview is a factory here in Idaho. They have some legit D1 girls every year, and if the Griz can make that a solid pipeline, that'd be fantastic.

grizzlyjournal said:
Congratulations to second-year Montana Volleyball coach Allison Lawrence and her GizzlyVB team on a resurgent 3-1 road victory that accomplished several steps for the team:
1. A 7th place finish in the final Big Sky Conf. league play standings.
2. The road win qualified Montana as a participant in the Big Sky post-season tourney after a four-year absence. With the win, Montana also moved ahead of 8th place Montana State in the standings.
3. I suppose that doesn't seem too impressive, but it signifies Lawrence's ability -- in just her second hear as head coach -- to reverse the team's slide to the bottom of the Big Sky under two previous coaches.
4. Two (or perhaps 3) of Lawrence's recruits -- Sarina Moreno fr. (Msla. Sentinel), Olivia Bradley fr. (Nampa, ID Skyview) and Bailey Perman So.(Pocatello ID Century) -- logged essential minutes (Moreno and Perman as full-time starters) for Montana this year. Add in three redshirts from this year and a pretty impressive recruiting class for 2019... and things look pretty promising for the future.
5. Montana will graduate veteran leaders Mykaela Hammer, Cassie Laramee and Alexis Urbach, but Lawrence has certainly started a turnaround for Montana.
6. It will probably take another year... but who knows... this team has a winning identity and, it's possible several incoming players can put Montana into contention once again.

Congrats Coach Lawrence! Best wishes in the tourney. Go Griz

Video below: Montana freshman, Olivia Bradley, serving up one her 6 service aces against Idaho State in last night's win.

[media]https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizVB/status/1063981519981568000[/media]

:clap: :thumb:

I think next year with the dominant setter in Ashley Watkins being a senior this team will make some big pushes. Ashley as a junior is already in the top 10 (#6) for career assist. Don’t look past this player or this team being capable of some big things. And Olivia Bradley is real deal.

Looks like my previous statement of Olivia Bradley being a stud is no longer relevant to the Griz volleyball team she’s transferred to Boise state

Happygriz1 said:
Looks like my previous statement of Olivia Bradley being a stud is no longer relevant to the Griz volleyball team she’s transferred to Boise state

Beat me to it. Heard about that today.

https://broncosports.com/news/2019/1/16/womens-volleyball-broncos-add-nampa-native-and-transfer-olivia-bradley-to-roster.aspx

AZDoc said:
Happygriz1 said:

Beat me to it. Heard about that today.

https://broncosports.com/news/2019/1/16/womens-volleyball-broncos-add-nampa-native-and-transfer-olivia-bradley-to-roster.aspx

Bummer, a set back to a team that’s been steadily improving.

Seeing Bradley leave the program and transfer home to Boise (she's from nearby Nampa) is a bit of a shock. She was a pretty solid player for a true freshman and had a high ceiling. I wish her all the best at Boise State.

Just looked at the team's 2019 roster and just noticed that Baily Permann, who lead the team in blocks during the 2018 season, is no longer on the roster as well.

MissoulaCanucksFan said:
Seeing Bradley leave the program and transfer home to Boise (she's from nearby Nampa) is a bit of a shock. She was a pretty solid player for a true freshman and had a high ceiling. I wish her all the best at Boise State.

Just looked at the team's 2019 roster and just noticed that Baily Permann, who lead the team in blocks during the 2018 season, is no longer on the roster as well.

That would be a huge blow for this team, the only players left with any sort of consistent play time are Ashley Watkins and Sarina Moreno
Missy Huddleston did see play time but split a lot of time with other players

Happygriz1 said:
What is going on with all of the departures from this team in the last 4 years

I have no info on the departures themselves but women’s sports as a whole has a tendency to have far more departures then men’s for all sorts of various reasons.

alabamagrizzly said:
Happygriz1 said:

I have no info on the departures themselves but women’s sports as a whole has a tendency to have far more departures then men’s for all sorts of various reasons.

Such a weird culture within women’s sports and this. I couldn’t imagine playing for a program that hasn’t been doing well is easy but every player has the opportunity to change that. Leaving is a big sign of weekness to me. Anyone have any insight on the Baily Permann situation

Happygriz1 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Happygriz1 said:

Such a weird culture within women’s sports and this. I couldn’t imagine playing for a program that hasn’t been doing well is easy but every player has the opportunity to change that. Leaving is a big sign of weekness to me. Anyone have any insight on the Baily Permann situation

I know for men, more so then women, there’s a competitive drive to stay involved. Women have alsorts if various reasons to leave; home sick, family issues, future family considerations. It’s a fact that women are more emotionally driven in their decisions and can change their minds for any reason. I certainly wouldn’t consider it a weakness, just a different approach at decision making.

alabamagrizzly said:
Happygriz1 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Happygriz1 said:

I know for men, more so then women, there’s a competitive drive to stay involved. Women have alsorts if various reasons to leave; home sick, family issues, future family considerations. It’s a fact that women are more emotionally driven in their decisions and can change their minds for any reason. I certainly wouldn’t consider it a weakness, just a different approach at decision making.

I know for the softball team, we’ve had four girls leave early in the four year history of the program. One for homesickness, one for her choice of education(dentistry), one for family sickness, and one for loss of playing time.

Back