• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: Meltdown

PlayerRep said:
Ursus1 said:
Had they taken the field goal it could have changed the outcome NO ONE knows since they didn't. Ever think if they were down by 1 instead of 4 they might have approached the final drive differently needing only a field goal to win. Do not claim it had nothing to do with it.....it may or may not have but we will never know because they didn't attempt it (Hell dont even know if they would make it, he missed a friggin extra point)

No one knows anything then. I just go with the best info available.

So, you are saying that if UM takes the FG (and, under your view, no one knows if the FG would have been made, or whether it might have been blocked and returned for a TD), then UM doesn't give up a punt return, doesn't fumble a pass, and no. 5 doesn't make several great plays?

Okay, I get it. Ha.

I still say my analysis is the more likely one. But, you are right, if the team bus had shown up 5 minutes later to the stadium, or parked in a different spot, everything might have been different, and no one can know what would have happened or whether UM would have won or lost.

I think you are on to something with the bus....

My point is we really can't be sure. Personally I would have tried to get bv the 3, had a lead on the road at that time, defense was playing very well at that time and the "must get one yard" offense has not been working well this year with that line. My second choice would have been going for it but giving Sneed a run/pass option since that oline cant knock anyone off the ball. No way on Earth would I run straight line Eastwood into the middle of that line it was doomed (that is on Rosy). Still cant figure out why we moved 2 linebackers to fullback if never going to use it, but that is off topic.

Hauck agrees with me (or vice versa). Of course, what does he know compared to the astute football analysts on egriz.

"We knew we were going to go for it on fourth down and we didn't get it," Hauck said after the game on his mindset on going for it. "Basically, I thought we would need more than those three points to win the game and that was right in hindsight."

I agree with Ursus1's post above, except for taking the 3.

If a meltdown is going to happen it was better now than later. We will become a better football team as a result of all this but it really stings for players,coaches,and fans. The big take away will be it was great to stay focused early,play hard and stay in the game. But keep your eye on the prize,STAY FOCUSED and realize the score is always tied. No lead is big enough! We need to beat Sac State this week so learn and move on....

Go Griz!1

Unfortunately, the GRIZ gave away this game. Fortunately, they are still the 2-1, which is what I expected. I just thought we would likely lose a close one to NIU, and win a close one against WIU.

I am fine with a defense giving up a few long passes, but giving up as many as we did against WIU, is unacceptable and discouraging. Then top that off with giving up a punt return for a TD! All that is so unlike a Hauck coached team.

With that said, it was great to see the GRIZ comeback strong after giving up early TD's, with 18 unanswered points, to take the lead. The team absolutely refused to get down on themselves with an explosive early start by WIU. Other than giving up too many long passes, I thought the defense played well. I do think, the GRIZ have to get more consistent QB pressure with 4 man rushes. Overall, I still have a lot of faith in the defense.

Offense is another story. To me, the lack of consistent offensive line play, especially run blocking, is really hindering the offensive potential. The GRIZ have ZERO running game. There is not one running play the OL consistently gets the job done. It is a sure sign of trouble when a team struggles to execute simple dives and off tackle plays. I am thinking more screens, flares, and shuttle passes actually may be set up, naturally. Hell, opposing DL's are getting through that easily on plays not designed to let them through.

It was nice to see the GRIZ have the time to at least attempt a few longer passes. Too bad, Sneed struggled with those passes. 1 of them, he was not sure what kind of pass to throw. He threw a low line drive dart, when he should have thrown a longer touch pass over the coverage. It looked to me, the WR had primary cover man beat. It was a matter of Sneed making the right throw. Then again, I have not watched the game again. Simply, my observation from seeing it during the game.

Is it me, or does the offensive play calling seem to have gone a little more conservative, compared to the NIU game? Seemed to me, the play calling and execution of the WIU game was more forced? Rather it be play calling or player execution, too few plays for our play makers.

Overall, I just think the team was mentally "off" in this game, in every aspect (play calling, execution, offense, defense, and special teams). Hard to believe, had any 1 of those thing been more consistent, the GRIZ would have won. I am guessing, that is all due to this being the 1st road trip for a very young team. Maybe that was too much for the coaching staff to overcome, and the coaches thought it was best to minimize pressure to the young players.

On the bright side, a young team can only get better. I doubt a Hauck coached team will be that "off" in every aspect, as much as the team was this game. The Sac State game will show if this team bounces back strong, or loses itself. I am betting on a strong bounce back.

TCCGRIZ said:
A young team made some undisciplined mental errors . BW is right about the oline , flashes of good and bad .
To all you whining about Sneed ,yes he made his share of mistakes but so did alot of other players .
You win as a team and you lose as a team . Including coaches
This team knows they let this game slip away and will be fired up and refocused this week.
Time to move on and take care of business in WaGriz this coming Saturday .

A new special teams coach and an o line will go a long way. Go Griz! I will wear maroon and silver next week.

thanks BW, good write up as usual. I'm still puzzled by the special teams play. its killing us. does any one have any idea about Bingham's injury? some said it looked ugly and I'm not sure I want to hear that.

NorthEndZoneDan said:
thanks BW, good write up as usual. I'm still puzzled by the special teams play. its killing us. does any one have any idea about Bingham's injury? some said it looked ugly and I'm not sure I want to hear that.

They also said Calhoun would be gone for weeks and he came back in in the same game....so, I wouldn’t place a ton of emphasis on what was said here... :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:

They also said Calhoun would be gone for weeks and he came back in in the same game....so, I wouldn’t place a ton of emphasis on what was said here... :lol:

Bingham couldn't move his left arm (if I recall correctly). My brother and I immediately had the same thought at the same time, each of us saying something like, "Damn, that doesn't look good." We both think it is a shoulder injury. Just my opinion, will be lucky if he is out only 2 to 4 weeks.

As for Calhoun, it didn't look as bad. I was relieved to see him back though.

mtgrizrule said:
AZGrizFan said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:

Bingham couldn't move his left arm (if I recall correctly). My brother and I immediately had the same thought at the same time, each of us saying something like, "Damn, that doesn't look good." We both think it is a shoulder injury. Just my opinion, will be lucky if he is out only 2 to 4 weeks.

How is Larry doing, Rule? Haven't seen you guys around for awhile.

dc953abed4d07540068b17b5bc39a120.jpg

Ursa Major said:
mtgrizrule said:
AZGrizFan said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:

He is doing good. We both work evenings. At least I am finally off weekends.

mtgrizrule said:
Ursa Major said:
mtgrizrule said:
AZGrizFan said:

He is doing good. We both work evenings. At least I am finally off weekends.

:lol: :thumb:

4th and less than 1 on the 6 yard line. Make that and this thread is never written. I agree with Bobbie on going for it. We lost the first 2 - 3 minutes and the last 5 - 6 minutes. The rest of the game, we owned. I'll be wearing Copper, Silver, and Gold this weekend and cheering for Super Dave and the Griz!

MikeyGriz said:
4th and less than 1 on the 6 yard line. Make that and this thread is never written. I agree with Bobbie on going for it. We lost the first 2 - 3 minutes and the last 5 - 6 minutes. The rest of the game, we owned. I'll be wearing Copper, Silver, and Gold this weekend and cheering for Super Dave and the Griz!

I don't necessarily disagree with going for it on 4th down. I do disagree with, once again, trying to go up the middle. Any other play call would have been better, I believe.

Ursa Major said:
grizindabox said:
So many are dwelling on not kicking the FG, but even if they did, there is no telling how the rest of the game plays out.

True--but, if you are on the road in that situation, you take the points. That was a f*** up that I would think the coaches would own. Lets just be honest about it.

I am more upset that they used the same play that netted them no gain on the third and one. Ok you decide to go for it, but how about you don’t use a play that hasn’t worked the entire season. Just stupid play call! The coaches need to understand that they don’t have a team that can just push forward and get a yard against anyone. Adapt your offense like you have done in every down and distance situation. That was just a lazy play call.

'68griz said:
MikeyGriz said:

I don't necessarily disagree with going for it on 4th down. I do disagree with, once again, trying to go up the middle. Any other play call would have been better, I believe.

Agreed

zootownrox said:
'68griz said:
MikeyGriz said:

Agreed

Ya, I get that our O-Line needs drastic improvement, but I think people are under-appreciating having Calhoun in at running back... I feel like he might have found a way to get that yard.

Ursa Major said:
grizindabox said:
So many are dwelling on not kicking the FG, but even if they did, there is no telling how the rest of the game plays out.

True--but, if you are on the road in that situation, you take the points. That was a f*** up that I would think the coaches would own. Lets just be honest about it.

Were up 4. WIU had not had any movement in the second half at all. a TD at the start of the 4th would be demoralizing. plus if you get stopped they are back in their own goal.sure a FG makes it 7 points. a TD makes it 10. I am willing to bet the OC and DC were both saying...lets go for it! WIU 2nd half possessions before the final TD. 6 plays, 3 plays, 5 plays, 3 plays, 6 plays. I mean we dominated them defensively in the second half. Their TD they only had to go 40 yards. I mean... if they had to go the entire field...slim to no chance. coaching did not lose this game. silly mistakes by a young team did

zootownrox said:
'68griz said:
MikeyGriz said:

Agreed

:thumb: Gotta play to your strengths.

Back