• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Will The Coaching Staff Learn From This Game?

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
Grizwold said:
MCGF I think you make some very valid points. Although I think Snead makes a lot of things happen with his feet. No way in hell does Gresch get away from half the rush that Snead gets away from. But he really needs to start putting the ball on the numbers. As for Eastwood, everybody has nailed it. He is not our best back and getting kind of pissed that he is the guy 90% of the time.
The Gresch fans here forget how he struggled in the tougher games last year and never did deliver a quality win, which Sneed did in his first outing. Sneed had the Griz cruising yesterday until a yanked XP, a punt return to the house and a fumble after a great pass. Then there was the long completion earlier to the one yard line negated by yet another penalty. Sneed's performance gave the team every chance to win.

Good post.

Sneed threw his first 2 interceptions of the season. The last one was more of a Hail Mary, so I discount that one.

Sneed is 81-127 for season. 63.8%. Jensen was 60.2% last season. 20 passing TD's and 10 interceptions. Sneed has 5 passing TDs and 2 picks.

Attendance was 4011 yesterday.

? regarding the comment about 'gresch fans', or even the rest of us, i didn't forget anything, and i doubt anyone else did, either. jensen was a redshirt freshman getting his first college playing time. sneed is a junior who has played quite a bit. also, sneed runs better, but jensen got the ball out a lot faster, and was accurate with the long ball. anyway, my point is that on top of you two making nothing but pure conjecture, it is not an apples-to-apples comparison.

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
This is a steaming pile of shit post

I agree. Mining doesn't have a clue about the game, or the game of football.

You could've ended at "I agree" and gotten your point across. Why do you feel the need to belittle everyone?

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
Grizwold said:
MCGF I think you make some very valid points. Although I think Snead makes a lot of things happen with his feet. No way in hell does Gresch get away from half the rush that Snead gets away from. But he really needs to start putting the ball on the numbers. As for Eastwood, everybody has nailed it. He is not our best back and getting kind of pissed that he is the guy 90% of the time.
The Gresch fans here forget how he struggled in the tougher games last year and never did deliver a quality win, which Sneed did in his first outing. Sneed had the Griz cruising yesterday until a yanked XP, a punt return to the house and a fumble after a great pass. Then there was the long completion earlier to the one yard line negated by yet another penalty. Sneed's performance gave the team every chance to win.
Sneed threw his first 2 interceptions of the season. The last one was more of a Hail Mary, so I discount that one.

Why discount the last one? It was a hail mary pass he didn't have to throw. He had open receivers elsewhere yet he chose to launch a desperation bomb into double (maybe triple) coverage.

Grizwold said:
This is where I disagree. Gresch has the ability to read the defense and get the ball out quick. That was a fundamental part of Stitt’s offense. So I don't believe him not being as fast as Sneed is actually that significant.

I conceded that Sneed’s fast, but I think he looks to run too quickly. He has improved at keeping his eyes downfield since week one, but he's often making throws without setting his feet. That is one of the reasons he struggles so much with accuracy.

That's not saying much for his deep ball issues, though. Yes Toure made a nice catch at the one-yard line that was called back after a holding penalty, but Sneed has either not seen wide open guys down field or misses them when he does see them.

I also think it's fundamentally wrong to play the QB that will compensate for a young OL. I think it would be better to play a QB that will compliment the best WR core in the FCS.

Again, Gresch is part of Griz history. He's NEVER coming back. I'm now wondering about Cam. He was the best JC QB in the nation, was he not? Not Sneed, Cam. And yet he was given virtually zero time during the non-conference games. Even when the Drake game was out of reach.

Why?

I heard a lot about every position being up for grabs and fostering competition, but I'm not seeing it at the QB and RB positions.

Proud Griz Man said:
I respect your opinion but disagree with your post. I believe that the UM coaching staff wants to win games, and plays the kids that are best prepared and perform best in practice. I think the UM coaching staff will work with the players to eliminate some of those critical mistakes that ultimately caused the WIU loss.

MiningCityGrizFan said:
At this point in the season, I am seriously questioning some of the coaching staff’s priorities. I think some of them still have a chip on their shoulders about being passed over for Stitt a few years back.

For those of you who are technically challenged, the short version is the close personal relationship between Sneed and Rosenbach is the reason that Gresch left the Griz football team.
It doesn’t matter that we had a proven winner in Jensen or a kid like Humphries with a better arm standing on the sideline, Sneed’s relationship with Rosenbach is all that matters.

Wait, wait, wait... Your post was far too civil and mature for eGriz. You didn't personally insult me and proclaim that your opinion is the only valid opinion on this site. And you forgot to declare that anyone who doesn't agree with you clearly doesn't understand football. :lol:

In all sincerity, thank you for your reply. It's beyond refreshing to be able to discuss Griz football with actual adults. Even those who have opinions that are different than mine!

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
Grizwold said:

Good post.

Sneed is 81-127 for season. 63.8%. Jensen was 60.2% last season. 20 passing TD's and 10 interceptions. Sneed has 5 passing TDs and 2 picks.

90% of Sneed’s Completions are short passes. He can’t throw downfield. You can spin it anyway you like, but until he proves he can consistently then he is average at best as a passer. He does more to help us with his feet. Gresch on the other hand, struggled with the short passes, but is very underrated for his feet. He is gone, can’t compare them at this point.

It doesn’t take a blind man to see that Hauck is playing favorites, for a variety of reasons. Many have said in past, that if you get in his “doghouse” you have to earn your way back. That means he plays those that fit his ideology. This is not unique to Hauck. We saw it years ago with Johnny Edwards, and we saw Stitt do the same thing.

The difference however is the outrage when someone not named Bobby Hauck commits the same offense. He is held to a different standard by most in Griz Nation. Has he earned it? Maybe so in some people’s eyes, but so has Donald Trump in some people’s eyes.

Personally I think he is the greatest coach in our history, however he must be fair, impartial and accountable or we are going to see issues down the road get even worse.

I won’t respond, because we all know that it’s useless to state opinions or argue with because even when you are wrong, you won’t admit it. :)

ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
Grizwold said:

Good post.

90% of Sneed’s Completions are short passes. He can’t throw downfield. You can spin it anyway you like, but until he proves he can consistently then he is average at best as a passer. He does more to help us with his feet. Gresch on the other hand, struggled with the short passes, but is very underrated for his feet. He is gone, can’t compare them at this point.

It doesn’t take a blind man to see that Hauck is playing favorites, for a variety of reasons. Many have said in past, that if you get in his “doghouse” you have to earn your way back. That means he plays those that fit his ideology. This is not unique to Hauck. We saw it years ago with Johnny Edwards, and we saw Stitt do the same thing.

The difference however is the outrage when someone not named Bobby Hauck commits the same offense. He is held to a different standard by most in Griz Nation. Has he earned it? Maybe so in some people’s eyes, but so has Donald Trump in some people’s eyes.

Personally I think he is the greatest coach in our history, however he must be fair, impartial and accountable or we are going to see issues down the road get even worse.

I won’t respond, because we all know that it’s useless to state opinions or argue with because even when you are wrong, you won’t admit it. :)

Not disagreeing with most of this post and not getting involved in whether Hauck plays favourites. Just have to say that Don Read was the greatest coach in Griz history and second place isn't even worth discussing. I was at the school when he took the dumpster fire of the mid-80's, when we had some very talented guys but no clue what to do, and made them into the GRIZ that we know and love. I "never played the game" but I took a few classes from Coach Read and if he didn't know it, it wasn't worth knowing. And that's not taking away from any other coach.

EverettGriz said:
Eriul said:
“Fans” are ridiculous. I can’t honestly understand how you watch the same game and come out thinking the rb/qb are the problem.

Honestly... this board is filled with f***[*] idiots sometimes

This team has a host of problems. And yes, the QB’s inability to throw an accurate deep ball and the RB’s lack of vision and improvisation are two of them.

Sure... I think you give Sneed a better O-line and his accuracy DRAMATICALLY improves.

As you said this team has a HOST of problems.

This thread is attempting to point the QB/RB as the main problems and that is so far from true

MiningCityGrizFan said:
Grizwold said:
This is where I disagree. Gresch has the ability to read the defense and get the ball out quick. That was a fundamental part of Stitt’s offense. So I don't believe him not being as fast as Sneed is actually that significant.

I conceded that Sneed’s fast, but I think he looks to run too quickly. He has improved at keeping his eyes downfield since week one, but he's often making throws without setting his feet. That is one of the reasons he struggles so much with accuracy.

That's not saying much for his deep ball issues, though. Yes Toure made a nice catch at the one-yard line that was called back after a holding penalty, but Sneed has either not seen wide open guys down field or misses them when he does see them.

I also think it's fundamentally wrong to play the QB that will compensate for a young OL. I think it would be better to play a QB that will compliment the best WR core in the FCS.

Again, Gresch is part of Griz history. He's NEVER coming back. I'm now wondering about Cam. He was the best JC QB in the nation, was he not? Not Sneed, Cam. And yet he was given virtually zero time during the non-conference games. Even when the Drake game was out of reach.

Why?

I heard a lot about every position being up for grabs and fostering competition, but I'm not seeing it at the QB and RB positions.
You know why.

Fahque said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
Grizwold said:

Why discount the last one? It was a hail mary pass he didn't have to throw. He had open receivers elsewhere yet he chose to launch a desperation bomb into double (maybe triple) coverage.

I don't disagree with you, but my view is that Sneed knew the game was about over and the Griz needed a TD, so he chucked the ball up to one of UM's taller receivers. It was 4th and 13 at the UM 38, with just over a minute left. I didn't notice short receivers open, but maybe there were some. My initial thought was the same as yours, i.e. should have looked for a first time and kept the hope alive.

Eriul said:
EverettGriz said:
Eriul said:
“Fans” are ridiculous. I can’t honestly understand how you watch the same game and come out thinking the rb/qb are the problem.

Honestly... this board is filled with f***[*] idiots sometimes

This team has a host of problems. And yes, the QB’s inability to throw an accurate deep ball and the RB’s lack of vision and improvisation are two of them.

Sure... I think you give Sneed a better O-line and his accuracy DRAMATICALLY improves.

As you said this team has a HOST of problems.

This thread is attempting to point the QB/RB as the main problems and that is so far from true

Sneed has a higher completion percentage than Jensen had. While too early to be statistically significant, Sneed has a lower interception to TD ratio than Jensen. I agree with those who think Jensen would be getting sacked a lot this year.

Fahque said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
This is a steaming pile of shit post

I agree. Mining doesn't have a clue about the game, or the game of football.

You could've ended at "I agree" and gotten your point across. Why do you feel the need to belittle everyone?

I don't view my comment as belitting. I view it as a little tiny jab at someone that I have come to believe, over many years, is largely a complainer and at times a Hauck hater. See my next post.

And, except for pure trolls and some Cat posters, I reserve my "jumping" for certain posters, whose history I know. I assume that group, again with those troll, Cat, etc. exclusions, are less than 10 posters.

…..pretty hilarious reading these posts..first lost and everybody is an expert! ...the game could
have gone either way so learn from your mistakes and move on...plenty of football to be played
and the players will get better...remember when Pflugrad team got destroyed by Sac St..and
everybody thought JJ was not up for the gag..and that year they just got better w/every game...be
patient they will get better...no reason to throw players under the bus! Go Griz!

MiningCityGrizFan said:
Proud Griz Man said:
I respect your opinion but disagree with your post. I believe that the UM coaching staff wants to win games, and plays the kids that are best prepared and perform best in practice. I think the UM coaching staff will work with the players to eliminate some of those critical mistakes that ultimately caused the WIU loss.

MiningCityGrizFan said:
At this point in the season, I am seriously questioning some of the coaching staff’s priorities. I think some of them still have a chip on their shoulders about being passed over for Stitt a few years back.

For those of you who are technically challenged, the short version is the close personal relationship between Sneed and Rosenbach is the reason that Gresch left the Griz football team.
It doesn’t matter that we had a proven winner in Jensen or a kid like Humphries with a better arm standing on the sideline, Sneed’s relationship with Rosenbach is all that matters.

Wait, wait, wait... Your post was far too civil and mature for eGriz. You didn't personally insult me and proclaim that your opinion is the only valid opinion on this site. And you forgot to declare that anyone who doesn't agree with you clearly doesn't understand football. :lol:

In all sincerity, thank you for your reply. It's beyond refreshing to be able to discuss Griz football with actual adults. Even those who have opinions that are different than mine!

I don't believe for a second that you wanted to have a football discussion. Like many of your posts over the years, you mainly wanted to complain and do it in a fairly harsh manner. And you wanted to blame the coaches, especially Hauck. And, you couldn't just do this in an existing thread, you had to create your own thread with the title you chose.

I see that a number of people don't agree with you, or much of what you said, so it's not just me.

I had seen you posting how embarrassed you were in the game thread, so it didn't surprise me when I saw you new thread. That's your mode of operation. You hadn't posted since mid-August. Not one post. It was June before then. I figured you just saw a chance to come on the board and start complaining, like you have in the past.

I recall that when you first came on the board a dozen years ago, in 2006, you wanted to replace Hauck with Van Diest. So, you've never had any credibility with me, and we've tangled before.

In my first post in your thread, I said the following: "If you want to debate some points, be specific and I will debate you." Don't believe a I got a response from you. Figured that you were afraid to actually engage in specifics.

I love to discuss and date the specifics, but I find that posters like you just want to use your conclusions and usually won't discuss and provide specifics.

As I have said, it has nothing to do with jumping posters who don't agree with me. I tend to go after posters whom I think are over-the-line, posters whose "views" I don't respect, trolls, jerks, some Cat posters, etc. Case in point. '68 Griz agreed with your post. I like '68. I would never jump him. I didn't even comment on this post, even though I obviously didn't agree with it.

grizghost said:
…..pretty hilarious reading these posts..first lost and everybody is an expert! ...the game could
have gone either way so learn from your mistakes and move on...plenty of football to be played
and the players will get better...remember when Pflugrad team got destroyed by Sac St..and
everybody thought JJ was not up for the gag..and that year they just got better w/every game...be
patient they will get better...no reason to throw players under the bus! Go Griz!

This seems so obvious to me, as well as a fairly large number of other posters who have made similar comment.

PlayerRep said:
grizghost said:

This seems so obvious to me, as well as a fairly large number of other posters who have made similar comment.

Third this sentiment. Settle down folks. Lots of games left. Who the hell are we to judge the coaching staff? Especially after 3 games! Glad to see there are still some sane posters on here.

MiningCityGrizFan said:
I'm now wondering about Cam. He was the best JC QB in the nation, was he not? Not Sneed, Cam. And yet he was given virtually zero time during the non-conference games. Even when the Drake game was out of reach.

Why?

correct me if i'm wrong, but hasn't cam only been with the griz a month or so?

kemajic said:
Grizwold said:

It’s yet to be determined whether UNI was a quality win. That being said, I completely agree with the rest of your post. Sneed did everything he could. If I could take two passes back, they would be a) the pass he threw where the offensive guy fell down while catching it...if it had been thrown in stride it’s a TD; and b) the pass he needed to throw OVER the defender (our guy was 3-4 steps behind him) and instead he threw a rope that the defender was able to jump up and tip. THAT was a TD also if thrown correctly. He’s running for his life half the time back there, so the fact he’s able to complete any passes at all is a minor miracle.

Back