• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Will The Coaching Staff Learn From This Game?

PR tends to go into protect mode, just like when an athlete gets in trouble with the law. That's why Sneed passed so well and Eastwood ran so well today. If you think you're going to get an intellectually honest appraisal of the game from him, your fucking crazy. It's just the way it is.

The main issues begin and end with the Oline. All game planning is done around that liability. I have no knowledge of the other QBs on the roster ( still learning this team ) but Sneed is mobile and that may be his best strength behind this turnstile of an OLine. Same goes for Eastwood, but I just don't see his upside. He is an asset in the pass game, the boy can catch, not sure about his pass blocking. His Run ability is iffy, give him a north/south hole and he hits it hard and fast. He doesn't (or hasn't demonstrated so far) any cutback moves or the ability to chain moves. Perhaps we should give him the benefit of the doubt since he is a freshman. We all knew this would be a tough a tough match, WIU is a pretty athletic team that can stretch the field. They did it against the Illini, I'm sure they can do it against any team they face. This Griz team is a VERY young team and exciting to watch. I just wish I could give the Online cans of whoop ass and tell them " use this on game day ".

MCGF I think you make some very valid points. Although I think Snead makes a lot of things happen with his feet. No way in hell does Gresch get away from half the rush that Snead gets away from. But he really needs to start putting the ball on the numbers. As for Eastwood, everybody has nailed it. He is not our best back and getting kind of pissed that he is the guy 90% of the time.

EverettGriz said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:
rgrizfan said:
Still waiting to see them use a fullback on short yardage situations.

That's actually a great point. Why move Fa'atuies out of the linebacker rotation to never play him at fullback? Especially in short yardage situations?

Between Rosenbach and Pease, they can't put in a heavy short yardage / goal line package with a fullback?

And for crying out loud, on 4th and a foot DO NOT put your QB in a f***[*] shotgun. I put that one directly on BH.

This...

PlayerRep said:
Chet_Ripley said:
Hauck Jr probably shouldn't see the field much more this season either. Speaking of playing favorites...

Oh, come on. He was the co-leading tackler, with 11, I think. He played well today.

That’s great he had so many tackles. Probably explainable by the fact he was no where to be found in coverage. But hey, at least he’s a sure tackler after the catch.

“Fans” are ridiculous. I can’t honestly understand how you watch the same game and come out thinking the rb/qb are the problem.

Honestly... this board is filled with fucking idiots sometimes

I respect your opinion but disagree with your post. I believe that the UM coaching staff wants to win games, and plays the kids that are best prepared and perform best in practice. I think the UM coaching staff will work with the players to eliminate some of those critical mistakes that ultimately caused the WIU loss.

MiningCityGrizFan said:
At this point in the season, I am seriously questioning some of the coaching staff’s priorities. I think some of them still have a chip on their shoulders about being passed over for Stitt a few years back.

For those of you who are technically challenged, the short version is the close personal relationship between Sneed and Rosenbach is the reason that Gresch left the Griz football team.
It doesn’t matter that we had a proven winner in Jensen or a kid like Humphries with a better arm standing on the sideline, Sneed’s relationship with Rosenbach is all that matters.

The narrative has not changed. The o line and secondary were worrisome before the season, and they are still worrisome. Terrible first half for the back end...and o line still a -painful to watch- work in progress. Gotta get better pressure on qbs....many great ones in the conference. Team is young. Time to put things together to compete in the conference and get in a position to make the playoffs. All team goals still in tact.

They clearly stole one from uni, which may turn out to be key.

Eriul said:
“Fans” are ridiculous. I can’t honestly understand how you watch the same game and come out thinking the rb/qb are the problem.

Honestly... this board is filled with f***[*] idiots sometimes

This team has a host of problems. And yes, the QB’s inability to throw an accurate deep ball and the RB’s lack of vision and improvisation are two of them.

EverettGriz said:
Eriul said:

This team has a host of problems. And yes, the QB’s inability to throw an accurate deep ball and the RB’s lack of vision and improvisation are two of them.

+1

EverettGriz said:
Eriul said:

Agree, which is ironic to me in one way. Hauck is known as a coach who "makes you compete for your job day in and day out". I won't say Sneed is not the best option right now, because we have not had the chance to see anyone else. Deep balls concern me, especially when you have a receiving corps like the Griz. Sneed had only one good long pass yesterday and threw at least 6 of them. Underthrows, overthrows and just did not seem in synch. Running back - that is a different story. Time for Eastwood to compete for his job. Lee is getting screwed based on what I have watched. Robby, not sure so I will not make an uneducated comment on that one. Time will tell.

Ursa Major said:
PR tends to go into protect mode, just like when an athlete gets in trouble with the law. That's why Sneed passed so well and Eastwood ran so well today. If you think you're going to get an intellectually honest appraisal of the game from him, your f***[*] crazy. It's just the way it is.

Did I say anything about how Eastwood played? If so, please post it for me.

I summarized the game in multiple post as well as anyone did. I summarized the loss, and end of game, accurately, and just like Kem did. UM gave up a punt return and followed with a fumble. That's what happened. That no. 5 for WI is a very good and fast player. He didn't do much early, but he hurt us late. Again, a terrific player.

Like Kem, I am surprised that so many posters, and apparently you, can't see the obvious. I think Eriul and argh's view were somewhat similar to ours too.

Grizwold said:
MCGF I think you make some very valid points. Although I think Snead makes a lot of things happen with his feet. No way in hell does Gresch get away from half the rush that Snead gets away from. But he really needs to start putting the ball on the numbers. As for Eastwood, everybody has nailed it. He is not our best back and getting kind of pissed that he is the guy 90% of the time.
The Gresch fans here forget how he struggled in the tougher games last year and never did deliver a quality win, which Sneed did in his first outing. Sneed had the Griz cruising yesterday until a yanked XP, a punt return to the house and a fumble after a great pass. Then there was the long completion earlier to the one yard line negated by yet another penalty. Sneed's performance gave the team every chance to win.

kemajic said:
Grizwold said:
The Gresch fans here forget how he struggled in the tougher games last year and never did deliver a quality win, which Sneed did in his first outing. Sneed had the Griz cruising yesterday until a yanked XP, a punt return to the house and a fumble after a great pass. Then there was the long completion earlier to the one yard line negated by yet another penalty. Sneed's performance gave the team every chance to win.

Good post.

Sneed threw his first 2 interceptions of the season. The last one was more of a Hail Mary, so I discount that one.

Sneed is 81-127 for season. 63.8%. Jensen was 60.2% last season. 20 passing TD's and 10 interceptions. Sneed has 5 passing TDs and 2 picks.

Attendance was 4011 yesterday.

Lee is getting screwed is spot on. If Calhoun is back it would be a double screw job if Eastwood gets #1 spot.

Oline is not cutting it time to look at it all. Yes they are "young" but totally missing a guy right in front of you is not acceptable. WIU was young too. All areas need examined, players that get the start, play calls and although this might upset some....yes even oline coaching. Not seeing much improvement after a fullspring, fall camp and now 3 full games. Maybe time to let some other "young" guys have a chance to see if they can actually improve with reps because starters are not getting the job done despite the chances.

Back