• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

I am still a believer

Maxim

DONOR
I thought the Griz responded well after being done early. Some ill timed penalties and a few missed opp.cost them this game. Otherwise we win. It happens. They played better for their first road game than i thought they might. They even started having some success running the ball. The team is young, and the o-line needs a lot of work/exp and yet they looked like the better team to me. I take that as a positive. They did not play their best and still almost won, there are some playoff qualities in that. I don't think most expected this to be our year. However i feel good about the future.

I am the walrus. Goo Goo G'joob

Seriously though. How many of us predicted we would start out 3-0? I honestly think it bites because we actually have some potential.

We'll be fine. A lot of the issues we can clean up. However, there are concerns:

Sneed really looked rough on his longer throws today. If he continues to struggle, and we can get a bit of a better run game established, I wonder if we see Humphrey inserted.

Speaking of, the O-Line still looked rough. Meyer had a rough day against Saunders, but that's a tough load to ask a guy coming back off of an injury. Not expected a huge improvement anytime soon.

Defense is doing a good job, but the breakdowns in coverage are starting to get worrying.

That said, this team looks pretty good, even with all of the problems they've had. If we're 2-3 in two weeks, I'll start to really worry.

giphy.gif

This team plays hard. That is best part about them. As long as they continue to play hard and grow from week to week I’m in. One thing for sure is they hurt and are pissed off way more than anyone on this board.

uofmman1122 said:
We'll be fine. A lot of the issues we can clean up. However, there are concerns:

Sneed really looked rough on his longer throws today. If he continues to struggle, and we can get a bit of a better run game established, I wonder if we see Humphrey inserted.

Speaking of, the O-Line still looked rough. Meyer had a rough day against Saunders, but that's a tough load to ask a guy coming back off of an injury. Not expected a huge improvement anytime soon.

Defense is doing a good job, but the breakdowns in coverage are starting to get worrying.

That said, this team looks pretty good, even with all of the problems they've had. If we're 2-3 in two weeks, I'll start to really worry.

Putting someone in over Beaver would be a start, Beaver is getting his butt handed to him repeatedly. When he was replaced was able to handle it better last week and this week. Beaver has been the weakest link so far. He just needs to get his footwork and hands right. I watched Home use is shoulders to block and not engage the D lineman. His technique is also sloppy, he has been standing up to make blocks rather than keeping low Zs and Vs. That makes it hard to both run and pass block when you are constantly on your heels.

PDXGrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:

Putting someone in over Beaver would be a start, Beaver is getting his butt handed to him repeatedly. When he was replaced was able to handle it better last week and this week. Beaver has been the weakest link so far. He just needs to get his footwork and hands right. I watched Home use is shoulders to block and not engage the D lineman. His technique is also sloppy, he has been standing up to make blocks rather than keeping low Zs and Vs. That makes it hard to both run and pass block when you are constantly on your heels.

Who should replace him? Serious question.

BigPapa406 said:
PDXGrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:

Cole Sain. He did great last week and when Beaver went out during the game, his side of the line suddenly wasn’t as much of a sieve as it was.

PDXGrizzly said:
BigPapa406 said:
PDXGrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:

Cole Sain. He did great last week and when Beaver went out during the game, his side of the line suddenly wasn’t as much of a sieve as it was.

Okay cool as I said I appreciate your view. I didn't watch the line last week after the game was in hand. I saw the center go down first play after half and thought it was amazing a lineman was out there. Blocking on a running play***

Me too. The Griz are 2-1 with a win over a top 15 team and a close road loss to a playoff team heading into conference play.

This is a young team with a new coaching staff. There are likely to be some transitional growing pains.

Today was a winnable game. I think they were in control of the game for about 50 minutes. I’m hopeful that some mistakes will turn into learning opportunities.

Go Griz!

Jaredkuehn said:
Me too. The Griz are 2-1 with a win over a top 15 team and a close road loss to a playoff team heading into conference play.

This is a young team with a new coaching staff. There are likely to be some transitional growing pains.

Today was a winnable game. I think they were in control of the game for about 50 minutes. I’m hopeful that some mistakes will turn into learning opportunities.

Go Griz!

Who was a top 15 team? Please don't say northern Iowa.

nzone said:
This team plays hard. That is best part about them. As long as they continue to play hard and grow from week to week I’m in. One thing for sure is they hurt and are pissed off way more than anyone on this board.

Yep.

nzone said:

I hope so. And I believe in these kids. We are blessed to have gentlemen like them to rep MONTANA

Hell yes. If you were to tell me before the season started that after 3 games the Griz would be 2-1 I would have guessed they would have lost today. I think this feels way worse than it is because of HOW it happened. Yes, it's disappointing, and the team would be the first to admit that; but I don't think the sky is falling.

New coaching staff
Very young team
Effort has/is improving

These are realities that have led us to where we are. The Griz are 2-1 heading into the conference portion of the season. How they respond this week may tell us a lot about their character. Based on the fight and grit we saw today I don't see any reason to believe this team won't compete their tails off week in and week out. Today was full of odd plays. Uncharacteristic fumbles, special teams, and penalties did the Griz in. They are all things that can be fixed.

Aside from the obvious issues (line play, secondary), this team has many bright spots. I also believe the running game will improve weekly, as will pass protection.

You can dwell on the negative aspects of this game, but I can assure you that a negative attitude will only ensure a negative result. I'm betting this team doesn't have a negative attitude and outlook. Yes, there are always things to improve upon, but too much negativity becomes toxic. I suggest we as fans take a deep breath, keep our glasses full, and enjoy the work the team is putting into each week.

BigPapa406 said:
Jaredkuehn said:

Go Griz!

Do you want me to show you instead?

Preseason coaches poll
14v65fq.png

Stats Preseason poll
1rrczr.png

Jaredkuehn said:
BigPapa406 said:
Jaredkuehn said:

Go Griz!

Do you want me to show you instead?

Preseason coaches pole
14v65fq.png

Stats Preseason poll
1rrczr.png

Facts can be a real SOB. Too bad they mean almost nothing in 2018. Good post though.

Same, but damn this loss hurts. I knew WIU was going to go deep often and I knew we couldn't run the ball worth a damn. That 4th and 1 call inside the 10 was a killer.

Hell yeah. I'm not letting the last 7 minutes of that game dampen my outlook. But, those 7 minutes happened. And, the 90 seconds at the beginning happened too.

North Dakota has my attention looking forward.

Oso Negro said:
Same, but damn this loss hurts. I knew WIU was going to go deep often and I knew we couldn't run the ball worth a damn. That 4th and 1 call inside the 10 was a killer.

I get that we can’t run “consistently”, or even when we absolutely need to get a yard, but we got 133 yards on the ground, averaging 3.9/rush. That is hardly the definition of “couldn’t run the ball worth a damn”

Honestly, I put our continual failure to pick up 4th & 6” on Rosenbach. Call a different fucking play. Everybody in the STADIUM knows what’s coming. The DE’s and LB’s are crashing down. How about a fucking bootleg or something different?

Back