• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

not out-coached

argh!

DONOR
just outplayed, really. also, you may laugh, but their team having a shaded area to stand on the sideline might have helped a little bit, just like montana having the warm sun and the other team shade during the winter at home might help a bit.

but my point is that the team was mostly ouplayed, in my view, not particularly out-coached. note i didn't say the coaching was great, overall.

I agree and I don't think UM was outplayed by much if at all. 4 turnovers, to 1. The late punt return allowed. UM should have won the game, but credit WI for continuing to play hard and playing very tough at the end. I never thought the Griz were some great team, and they aren't. Have good potential. Work in progress.

argh! said:
just outplayed, really. also, you may laugh, but their team having a shaded area to stand on the sideline might have helped a little bit, just like montana having the warm sun and the other team shade during the winter at home might help a bit.

but my point is that the team was mostly ouplayed, in my view, not particularly out-coached. note i didn't say the coaching was great, overall.

Totally agree. WTF am I saying?

PlayerRep said:
I agree and I don't think UM was outplayed by much if at all. 4 turnovers, to 1. The late punt return allowed. UM should have won the game, but credit WI for continuing to play hard and playing very tough at the end. I never thought the Griz were some great team, and they aren't. Have good potential. Work in progress.
+1

Am I disappointed? Of course. But let's get real. Just to start with, the Griz have a new coach. And don't tell me about his previous tenure at UM -- on average, his players were in elementary school when Hauck was here before.

So there's a new coach with a new system and lots of turnover on the roster (as discussed interminably). Sure, they had two games under their belts. Now they go on the road for the first time, get down by two quick scores, yet they fought back. Despite the many miscues (penalties, etc.), they lost by just 4 points. It's not like Armageddon, the "End Times," or whatever. To call that an "epic fail" is more than a bit over the top.

They will learn from this, in so many ways. Also, while we can't be sure right now, I suspect that WIU will be a better team than anyone has predicted. (Maybe not a playoff team, but competitive.)

...you take what you got...
...you put them in a position to win the game...
...yuge bobby guy..bobby didn't put them in the position...

... :shock: ...

I’m sure JLM and Bingham(hope his injury isn’t as bad as it looked) will take care of the ball better
Hope coaches put Lee in short run situations
Trying to understand how Defense gives up 350+ yards and 3 TDs in the air and D-Line cannot get pressure without blitzing and blitzing isn’t working (second half had glimpses of hope for Defense)
Hope pass coverage returns next week against Sac St

We were the better team (by far) for 52 of the 60 minutes. Just not the first two minutes or the last six.

Many little mistakes. Too many penalties. Those things will be cleared up, because minimizing risk/error is what Bobby Hauck does best.
Yes the punt return for touchdown and the fumble were glaring errors, but there were many smaller errors throughout the game that, if cleaned up, keep the Griz offense on the field, keep the Griz in control and keep the game out of reach for WIU.
It's going to be OK.

So much praise for the coaching staff that just lost a game they should have won. Had this coach been Stitt, he'd be castigated for days and fired. The two coaches resembled each other today.

GrizLA said:
So much praise for the coaching staff that just lost a game they should have won. Had this coach been Stitt, he'd be castigated for days and fired. The two coaches resembled each other today.

Hammer meet nail. Agree.

HookedonGriz said:
GrizLA said:

Hammer meet nail. Agree.

+1

'68griz said:
HookedonGriz said:
GrizLA said:

Hammer meet nail. Agree.

+1

hope you didn't read my comment as praising the coaching. don't think their in-game effort resulted in the loss, though.

argh! said:
'68griz said:
HookedonGriz said:
GrizLA said:

Hammer meet nail. Agree.

+1

hope you didn't read my comment as praising the coaching. don't think their in-game effort resulted in the loss, though.

Coaching staff made two mistakes on the same play.

A) should have taken the points and gone for the FG
B) Once they decide not to do THAT, should have called literally ANY other play than the one they did

AZGrizFan said:
argh! said:
'68griz said:
HookedonGriz said:
Hammer meet nail. Agree.

+1

B) Once they decide not to do THAT, should have called literally ANY other play than the one they did

and more, but i thought, not counting the first two, players were in pretty good position to make plays most of the time. better than the last couple games. there is a lot more to coaching than that, though, i know.

totally agree with the fg and 4th down comments.

AZGrizFan said:
argh! said:
'68griz said:
HookedonGriz said:
Hammer meet nail. Agree.

+1

Hauck doesn't agree with you on A, nor do I. I agree with you on B.

"We knew we were going to go for it on fourth down and we didn't get it," Hauck said after the game on his mindset on going for it. "Basically, I thought we would need more than those three points to win the game and that was right in hindsight."

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
argh! said:
'68griz said:

Hauck doesn't agree with you on A, nor do I. I agree with you on B.

"We knew we were going to go for it on fourth down and we didn't get it," Hauck said after the game on his mindset on going for it. "Basically, I thought we would need more than those three points to win the game and that was right in hindsight."

So he was omnipotent about the punt return? :lol:

Diesel said:
I’m sure JLM and Bingham(hope his injury isn’t as bad as it looked) will take care of the ball better
Hope coaches put Lee in short run situations
Trying to understand how Defense gives up 350+ yards and 3 TDs in the air and D-Line cannot get pressure without blitzing and blitzing isn’t working (second half had glimpses of hope for Defense)
Hope pass coverage returns next week against Sac St

I didn't get to see the game. What happened to Bingham?

Back