• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

WR Talk

Paytonlives

Staff member
Poised to be a strength of the team along with DL

With Nagler moved to DE and Calhoun to CB Looks like the Griz have a more manageable 12 WR's

6 Keenan Curran Sr.
16 Jerry Louie-McGee R-Jr.
21 Lamarriel Taylor R-Jr.
18 Samuel Akem R-So.
29 Nick Fouch So.
82 Samori Toure R-So.
85 Danny Burton So.
7 Gabe Sulser Fr.
19 Malik Flowers R-Fr.
30 Jackson Groff Fr.
80 Mitch Roberts R-Fr.
83 Nick Germer Fr.

Seems like it goes
Curran
Toure
JLM
Akem
Sulser (Making push to play as a frosh)

But I sure hope we get to see JLM AND Sulser on the field at the same time.

"Broken Ankle" squad and capable of taking it to the house on any reception.

I think Groff and Germer "redshirt" But keep in mind the 4 game "red shirt" I bet every frosh plays this year aside from maybe a QB or S/DB.

If game 2 vs Drake at home is a blowout early... look for ALOT of Frosh to play in that game... empty the benches time

I agree with your "depth" chart; but I'm high on Akem. With his size I think he could be ready for a big year.

Top 4-5 should be pretty damn good, just need to work on securing the catch. I have to think drops will be a bigger deal this year, # of drops goes down I imagine. Fully expect this group to really shine this year.

Curran - the reliable receiver, smooth and consistent
JLM - Shifty play maker we all know what he brings
Susler- JLM 2.0, very quick off the ball and on first step
Toure- He is a sneaky good WR. He has a knack for finding space and catching players off balance.
Akem- He is a go getter. He is a guy who will go get that jump ball or make that tough catch.
Taylor- Similar to Toure, can find space and get open
Roberts- The dark horse of the WR good. better than what was expected. good hands and good at getting position on the defender.

mtgrizfankb said:
Toure- He is a sneaky good WR. He has a knack for finding space and catching players off balance.
Akem- He is a go getter. He is a guy who will go get that jump ball or make that tough catch.
Roberts- The dark horse of the WR good. better than what was expected. good hands and good at getting position on the defender.

Malik Flowers is another exceptionally smooth athlete at WR that hasn't been mentioned much. Despite all the position changes away from WR, talent still abounds at this position. Curran, Akem, JLM and Toure make for an exceptional 4-wide set on par with the caliper at much higher conference football. The question is how much will we see this formation. I hope Hauck recognizes the advantage this group can give him and utilizes them more than just on 3rd and long.

MTGRZ said:
I agree with your "depth" chart; but I'm high on Akem. With his size I think he could be ready for a big year.

I too am high on Akem. His physicality reminds me of Terell Owens.

We have great WRs, but do we have a QB who can get the ball to them???

mtgrizfankb said:

i would add Flowers......if memory serves me correctly he was recruited as a player to stretch the field over the top with his top end speed.....

4theluvofgriz said:
MTGRZ said:

I too am high on Akem. His physicality reminds me of Terell Owens.

We have great WRs, but do we have a QB who can get the ball to them???

you haven't been to practice have you? we have multiple QBs with that ability

go96griz said:
mtgrizfankb said:

Malik Flowers is another exceptionally smooth athlete at WR that hasn't been mentioned much. Despite all the position changes away from WR, talent still abounds at this position. Curran, Akem, JLM and Toure make for an exceptional 4-wide set on par with the caliper at much higher conference football. The question is how much will we see this formation. I hope Hauck recognizes the advantage this group can give him and utilizes them more than just on 3rd and long.

Ya know I shouldn't have left him out. he is a good WR. We are just so deep at WR. JLM and Sulser will spend slot time. Toure could as well. Toure, Akem and Curran will spend a lot of time outside. Roberts will cycle in. Flowers is just gonna have to fight with Curran and Toure and Akem to get PT and its gonna be hard. He is worthy of playing though. We wont see much 4 wide this year. We will see a lot of 3 WR and a TE or 2 WR and TE. Got to remember that the OL will need help and we are also very deep at RB. Many sets will have a TE and either 2 RBs or a RB and FB.

mtgrizfankb said:
go96griz said:
mtgrizfankb said:

Ya know I shouldn't have left him out. he is a good WR. We are just so deep at WR. JLM and Sulser will spend slot time. Toure could as well. Toure, Akem and Curran will spend a lot of time outside. Roberts will cycle in. Flowers is just gonna have to fight with Curran and Toure and Akem to get PT and its gonna be hard. He is worthy of playing though. We wont see much 4 wide this year. We will see a lot of 3 WR and a TE or 2 WR and TE. Got to remember that the OL will need help and we are also very deep at RB. Many sets will have a TE and either 2 RBs or a RB and FB.

Which is exactly my point in red-shirting Sulser. We don't need Sulser this season. Why waste a once-in-10 years type of athlete in a season where we will not be a factor? Look to the future. How great would it be four years from now having Sulser still eligible when we are playing for a National Championship??? I assure you that many will be lamenting the fact that we burned his eligibility this season come 4 years from now. If we really needed him this year, that would be different. But we don't.

4theluvofgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
go96griz said:
mtgrizfankb said:

Which is exactly my point in red-shirting Sulser. We don't need Sulser this season. Why waste a once-in-10 years type of athlete in a season where we will not be a factor? Look to the future. How great would it be four years from now having Sulser still eligible when we are playing for a National Championship??? I assure you that many will be lamenting the fact that we burned his eligibility this season come 4 years from now. If we really needed him this year, that would be different. But we don't.

It's not about the need. Its about the fact he might be one of the best recievers we have on the team THIS year. If he is...he is going to play. If you can rotate him and JLM that is a big + to the team. Maybe he wont be up to it and he will redshirt but if he as good as he seems so far. He is gonna play and he is gonna make an impact. you don't hold talent back just to do so. Redshirts are for developing players not pausing their growth

Paytonlives said:
Poised to be a strength of the team along with DL

With Nagler moved to DE and Calhoun to CB Looks like the Griz have a more manageable 12 WR's

6 Keenan Curran Sr.
16 Jerry Louie-McGee R-Jr.
21 Lamarriel Taylor R-Jr.
18 Samuel Akem R-So.
29 Nick Fouch So.
82 Samori Toure R-So.
85 Danny Burton So.
7 Gabe Sulser Fr.
19 Malik Flowers R-Fr.
30 Jackson Groff Fr.
80 Mitch Roberts R-Fr.
83 Nick Germer Fr.

And exactly 1 senior!

mtgrizfankb said:
4theluvofgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
go96griz said:

It's not about the need. Its about the fact he might be one of the best recievers we have on the team THIS year. If he is...he is going to play. If you can rotate him and JLM that is a big + to the team. Maybe he wont be up to it and he will redshirt but if he as good as he seems so far. He is gonna play and he is gonna make an impact. you don't hold talent back just to do so. Redshirts are for developing players not pausing their growth

...and the coaches get 4 games to figure it all out...

mtgrizfankb said:
4theluvofgriz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
go96griz said:

Pausing their growth? We can argue the pluses and minuses forever, but I go back to three key points: 1) We have 5,6, or 7 very good (if not great) WRs without Sulser. There can not be much drop-off from him as a true frosh compared to our top 5-7 guys 2) I have no doubt that our team will be MUCH STRONGER 3-4 years from now than the one Bobby inherited, so why waste a year of his eligibility on a team not strong enough to compete for a NC? 3) I don't think anyone would disagree that Sulser would be much better as a 5th-year senior than he will be as a true frosh.

Again, just my opinion. Sulser is a rare talent who comes along infrequently. Play him in his 4 games..... but don't be tempted to play him enough to lose his red-shirt year.

I say play the best guys we've got, and if Gabe can be a regular contributor that adds to more points on the board all season long, then let it rock.

With so many other groups up in the air, the WR corps is stacked with playmakers and some guys who are awesome leaders on the team as well.

Back