• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GIVE MALATARE A SCHOLARSHIP!!

4theluvofgriz said:
flatheadedgriz said:
This is a win win. Phillip gets a chance to play right away in a very competitive league. The Griz get a chance to watch him as he grows right in their backyard.

Or perhaps watch him sign with Washington, or Utah, or Gonzaga. DeCuire has blown this one in my opinion. There is no guarantee that he will sign with Montana following JC ball. What would be the risk to give him a scholarship for one season to evaluate his ability to play at this level, then encourage him to transfer if he fails to meet that potential during his red-shirt season? Much better option in my opinion.

The posters trying to justify why this kid is unworthy of a scholarship simply because he plays Class C basketball, or because he plays Indian ball obviously don't understand the game. When a college coach evaluates a potential recruit, he looks for the skill set that translates to the college game. The level he plays in high school is way down the list of factors a coach considers. If you remember Alan Neilsen from Westby, or Criswell..... both were Class C kids who excelled at the Division I level. And neither of these two had the overall skill set that Malatare has. Both were basically great outside shooters, but lacked many of the other skills that Malatare has. He is a complete ball player, with no holes in his game except for his size. Even his lack of size is not as big a deterrent as some might think, because of his savvy on defense. He is one of the smartest defenders I have seen in high school at anticipating passes and filling passing lanes, which allows him multiple steals each game.

I may be wrong about this kid, but I don't think so. He will be a great Division I BB player for somebody, providing he can overcome the Indian curse that seems to follow many reservation kids to college.

We have a basketball coach at the University of Montana. His name is Travis Decuire. It is his job to evaluate potential recruits. So far, can you complain about his judgement on recruits? Has he not brought great talent to the University? Have his teams not been successful? What are your qualifications to question his judgement? Please inform me, or shut the f..k up!

Mousegriz said:
4theluvofgriz said:
flatheadedgriz said:
This is a win win. Phillip gets a chance to play right away in a very competitive league. The Griz get a chance to watch him as he grows right in their backyard.

Or perhaps watch him sign with Washington, or Utah, or Gonzaga. DeCuire has blown this one in my opinion. There is no guarantee that he will sign with Montana following JC ball. What would be the risk to give him a scholarship for one season to evaluate his ability to play at this level, then encourage him to transfer if he fails to meet that potential during his red-shirt season? Much better option in my opinion.

The posters trying to justify why this kid is unworthy of a scholarship simply because he plays Class C basketball, or because he plays Indian ball obviously don't understand the game. When a college coach evaluates a potential recruit, he looks for the skill set that translates to the college game. The level he plays in high school is way down the list of factors a coach considers. If you remember Alan Neilsen from Westby, or Criswell..... both were Class C kids who excelled at the Division I level. And neither of these two had the overall skill set that Malatare has. Both were basically great outside shooters, but lacked many of the other skills that Malatare has. He is a complete ball player, with no holes in his game except for his size. Even his lack of size is not as big a deterrent as some might think, because of his savvy on defense. He is one of the smartest defenders I have seen in high school at anticipating passes and filling passing lanes, which allows him multiple steals each game.

I may be wrong about this kid, but I don't think so. He will be a great Division I BB player for somebody, providing he can overcome the Indian curse that seems to follow many reservation kids to college.

I've been supportive of UM giving him a scholarship but one question I don't have answer to is: Has he competed in any summer AAU events/tournaments/etc. during his HS years?

This is the path most D1 players take...lots of summer tournaments playing on "all star" type teams with and against other good players from around the region/country. These are recruited heavily by all levels of college coaches. Recruits are compared playing against each. No "AA, A , B ,C" at AAU's.

Again, I don't have the answer to the question but it's a mark against Malatare if he hasn't. In today's game if you haven't ever played theses events it's more of a risk to offer scholarship than if he has. And if he has, and is a future "Washington, Gonzaga, Utah" recruit, why hasn't one D1 or D2 team offered him a scholarship? Did he get lots of steals by anticipating passes in a big AAU tourney last summer in Seattle? Or Vegas? or even Spokane?

Oh.....and Alan Nielsen was 6'7" and shot lights out from today's 3 point line, passed well and rebounded and defended pretty well.....he was 7 inches taller than Malatare. Criswell 6'3" shot lights out too and played with strength and physicality.

Anxious to hear if anyone knows about Malatare's summer basketball experiences...spinnin' circles around the guys at the Arlee gym and Polson 3 on 3 aren't enough!

Malatare participated sparingly in AAU when he was younger. He did not "dominate" the competition and he did not play last summer going into his senior year. Which I think hurt him but he had personal reasons for doing so. He also played against 2 AA Missoula schools last spring in full games and did not "dominate" in fact was held in check fairly easily by Worster and Beighle.
I'm excited for Phillip and his family. Can't wait to see where basketball takes him.
PS. Criswell played for Colstrip that was class A at the time. In high school, he was much more than just a shooter.

4theluvofgriz said:
flatheadedgriz said:

Scholarships aren't handed out to evaluate a guy with the plan to send them packing if it doesn't work out. That happens during the "evaluation period" in the spring and summer and overall it's a poor recruiting strategy. There are plenty of guys that have been offered scholarships that have already proved their ability to play at this level.

The first thing coaches decide is can they defend and rebound at the next level. Given he's undersized and plays at the C level that's probably where most of the concerns come from. Does he fit the mold of the type of guards we've been recruiting? Not physically.

Last thing, let's try to not compare the skill set of a Griz legend in Criswell and this kid... it's not really fair...

4theluvofgriz said:
flatheadedgriz said:

He has some work to do in the classroom before he can attend UM, much less play for UM is my understanding. Hopefully he can get that taken care of at NIC. I think it is a good personal decision for Malatare. Really really hope to see him in Maroon and Silver, but your criticism of TD is misplaced.

Why can't we just let this whole Malatare thing go? He is going to North Idaho for the same reason that Rayquan Evans is there...trouble in the classroom but going to a good program that is a good fit. If he can turn his academic issues around then we'll see what happens...until then, let it ride. The chances of him becoming a Griz are slight.

Mavman said:
I have watched some highlights and kid is decent. My question for those of you that watch him alot or are more in the know, How does he stack up to Jordan gregory, Timmy falls, Rorie, Oquine ????
Is he like a Criswell , Lake, or Gary Kane????

I played with Gary Kane (1989 Montana Gatorade Player of the Year) a long ass time ago, so I am a little biased. One thing I definitely will say is Kane was taller than Malatare.

But I have nothing but good things to say about the 6-foot Malatare. I seen him play this season in the state tournament, where Malatare averaged 18.7 points, 10.8 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 2.7 steals over Arlee’s three games at the state tournament. Great player for sure. Great person as well. Hope he does amazing.

Back