• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GIVE MALATARE A SCHOLARSHIP!!

Citay-you are my hero.....In my opinion your case for Malatare is absolutely correct. Thanks-and I'm not his father, brother, or Native American. But I've watch Griz BB for 50 plus years, and have watched high school ball all over the state, but in particular Arlee for the last 6 years. I've also had high school coaches tell me they have a very difficult sell to college recruiters on Native American players, as they feel their "stick" rate is low. I'm not saying thats racist, but it seems to be a limiting issue and may well be true. As far as grades, I don't believe he is a Rhodes Scholar, but know for a fact he's far above what some say J R Camel was. As a business man, I think TD made the correct business decision. At the time he recruited Malatare-what he told him, was what he had at the moment.No scholarships available. But I also suspect he had a pretty good idea that some would soon be available. Obviously it was his call to make...

racehorsewilly said:
Citay-you are my hero.....In my opinion your case for Malatare is absolutely correct. Thanks-and I'm not his father, brother, or Native American. But I've watch Griz BB for 50 plus years, and have watched high school ball all over the state, but in particular Arlee for the last 6 years. I've also had high school coaches tell me they have a very difficult sell to college recruiters on Native American players, as they feel their "stick" rate is low. I'm not saying thats racist, but it seems to be a limiting issue and may well be true. As far as grades, I don't believe he is a Rhodes Scholar, but know for a fact he's far above what some say J R Camel was. As a business man, I think TD made the correct business decision. At the time he recruited Malatare-what he told him, was what he had at the moment.No scholarships available. But I also suspect he had a pretty good idea that some would soon be available. Obviously it was his call to make...
:thumb: Thanks for the insight. Here's hoping Mr. Malatare turns into a Montana hoops star.

citay said:
What irks me is the way minorities (and women) in this country have to keep "proving themselves," while the privileged continue to benefit from "legacy" status. This attitude is so baked into our country's ethos we simply take it for granted. At Penn, for example, an Ivy League school, 40% of admissions go to legacy kids (whose parents also went to Penn.) I'm told that nationwide at all schools, the legacy rate is around 30%

As you all know, I have quit following the Lady Griz (one of my early passions), simply because they do not actively recruit African-American players. Instead, a scholarship this year has gone to another legacy player, Shannon's own daughter, who despite failing to win a state championship, has not been asked to "prove herself" by walking on. Nor, on the Men's side, did Espe, Bevins and Besovic have to "prove themselves." They all came in on scholarship, and only proved that none of them could crack the top eight starting rotation.

Are you kidding me? Name one D1 school that has had more Native-Americans (mens and womens) than the U of Montana over the last 30 years. Seriously!

I admit, I am pulling for Malatare, and am a fan of his. With that said, how about we cool it with expectations, scholarship or no scholarship, how ethnicity comes into this, etc? Regardless, it is uncommon for small school basketball players to get Div 1 scholarships right out of high school. The only people who can determine if and when any player is worth of a scholarship is the head coach. That happens to be Travis DeCuire, in this case.

Even if DeCuire feels that Malatare is worthy of a scholarship now, part of DeCuire's job (or any college coach) is to get the most talent, depth, and value he can with the funds he has to work with. More power to any coach that can get a solid player to come aboard as a walk on. That is a win win for the player, coach, and program. The player is given opportunity to prove himself/herself to earn a scholarship. The coach has more options available to build an even deeper stronger team, and the program can possibly build a reputation for building up walk ons to easier get more later. Being successful at this can be huge for prestigious athletic programs (football and basketball). Nebraska football built it's football program with the best walk on program in the nation, at one point. After Solich was let go, that was somewhat lost. Scott Frost will bring that back to the program. Don't be surprised if that helps the Huskers return to among the best in the nation within the next 5 years (yes, they'd like sooner).

DeCuire is wise to try building a strong walk on presence. Malatare is a truly a local player, that will turn many borderline fans, into more interested and avid fans. At this point, we have no idea what kind of impact he will have. Will he have a Criswell Dlouhy (sp?) like impact, become a valuable contributor, and earn a scholarship? Will he fall just short of earning a div 1 scholarship and possibly play at a lower level? Realistically, the numbers are not in his favor. GRIZ walk ons generally don't make much of an impact. If he makes an impact, he will get a scholarship, just not now.

Fact is, Malatare and DeCuire are on the same page and both very happy with the opportunity and situation. As fans' let's be patient and be as supportive as possible and hope for Malatare becomes a walk on success story. Let's hope he impacts future GRIZ to walk on, regardless of ethnicity. Welcome to GRIZ Nation, Phillip Malatare. We are pulling for you. Thank you for your belief in GRIZ basketball, and Coach DeCuire.

mtgrizrule said:
Fact is, Malatare and DeCuire are on the same page and both very happy with the opportunity and situation. As fans' let's be patient and be as supportive as possible and hope for Malatare becomes a walk on success story. Let's hope he impacts future GRIZ to walk on, regardless of ethnicity. Welcome to GRIZ Nation, Phillip Malatare. We are pulling for you. Thank you for your belief in GRIZ basketball, and Coach DeCuire.

+1

"Any time you get a full-ride scholarship to play for a team like that, it's a huge reward and honor."

Arlee's Phillip Malatare is taking his talents to Coeur d'Alene. #mtscores

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bozo JrCollegeofAG said:
mtgrizrule said:

+1

-1. :lol:

He’s going to North Idaho College.

This is a win win. Phillip gets a chance to play right away in a very competitive league. The Griz get a chance to watch him as he grows right in their backyard.

Congrats to Mr. Malatare! Good move by him. Hope to see him in Missoula in a year or two!

maroonandsilver said:
grizzlyjournal said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/406mtsports/status/993656997466771458[/tweet]

And Citay explodes!! :lol:
So here's what my heart doctor said:
"Citay, this is not a good diagnosis, for several reasons.
"First, by playing at North Idaho, he burns a year of eligibility. Now he's only got three years of eligibility, versus the maximum four.
Second, while they say he'll be playing against high-quality players, who is of higher quality than Rorie and Oguine? Scrimmaging against those guy during a redshirt year would really accustom him to the rigors of D1 ball.
"Third, DeCuire's system, especially on defense, is complicated. It takes time to learn. A year learning that system as a redshirt would be far better than learning another coach's system.
"Finally, what if Malatare lights it up over there and gets offers from other bigger schools? He's then got no commitment to a school that wouldn't give him a scholarship in the first place."
So you see, Citay, this is not good for your heart. And remember the wisdom of the Little Prince: "It is only the heart that sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

:lol:
citay said:
maroonandsilver said:
grizzlyjournal said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/406mtsports/status/993656997466771458[/tweet]

And Citay explodes!! :lol:
So here's what my heart doctor said:
"City, this is not a good diagnosis, for several reasons.
"First, by playing at North Idaho, he burns a year of eligibility. Now he's only got three years of eligibility, versus the maximum four.
Second, while they say he'll be playing against high-quality players, who is of higher quality than Rorie and Oguine? Scrimmaging against those guy during a redshirt year would really accustom him to the rigors of D1 ball.
"Third, DeCuire's system, especially on defense, is complicated. It takes time to learn. A year learning that system as a redshirt would be far better than learning another coach's system.
"Finally, what if Malatare lights it up over there and gets offers from other bigger schools? He's then got no commitment to a school that wouldn't give him a scholarship in the first place."
So you see, Citay, this is not good for your heart. And remember the wisdom of the Little Prince: "It is only the heart that sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

:lol:

Maybe, in an effort to balance the budget, UM has put a lower limit on its basketball scholarships than NCAA rules allow. Every little $10,000 adds up. Let's only give out 10 scholarships this year and save a few bucks.

Or more likely, a 7 footer from Slovenia or Slovakia will emerge, a lights out point guard from Finland or Norway will sign, an amazing athlete with tons of upside from Houston will arrive and the needed 3 pointer shooter will rise up from North Idaho JC!

flatheadedgriz said:
This is a win win. Phillip gets a chance to play right away in a very competitive league. The Griz get a chance to watch him as he grows right in their backyard.

Or perhaps watch him sign with Washington, or Utah, or Gonzaga. DeCuire has blown this one in my opinion. There is no guarantee that he will sign with Montana following JC ball. What would be the risk to give him a scholarship for one season to evaluate his ability to play at this level, then encourage him to transfer if he fails to meet that potential during his red-shirt season? Much better option in my opinion.

The posters trying to justify why this kid is unworthy of a scholarship simply because he plays Class C basketball, or because he plays Indian ball obviously don't understand the game. When a college coach evaluates a potential recruit, he looks for the skill set that translates to the college game. The level he plays in high school is way down the list of factors a coach considers. If you remember Alan Neilsen from Westby, or Criswell..... both were Class C kids who excelled at the Division I level. And neither of these two had the overall skill set that Malatare has. Both were basically great outside shooters, but lacked many of the other skills that Malatare has. He is a complete ball player, with no holes in his game except for his size. Even his lack of size is not as big a deterrent as some might think, because of his savvy on defense. He is one of the smartest defenders I have seen in high school at anticipating passes and filling passing lanes, which allows him multiple steals each game.

I may be wrong about this kid, but I don't think so. He will be a great Division I BB player for somebody, providing he can overcome the Indian curse that seems to follow many reservation kids to college.

[emoji38]
4theluvofgriz said:
flatheadedgriz said:

Or perhaps watch him sign with Washington, or Utah, or Gonzaga. DeCuire has blown this one in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

4theluvofgriz said:
flatheadedgriz said:

Or perhaps watch him sign with Washington, or Utah, or Gonzaga. DeCuire has blown this one in my opinion. There is no guarantee that he will sign with Montana following JC ball. What would be the risk to give him a scholarship for one season to evaluate his ability to play at this level, then encourage him to transfer if he fails to meet that potential during his red-shirt season? Much better option in my opinion.

The posters trying to justify why this kid is unworthy of a scholarship simply because he plays Class C basketball, or because he plays Indian ball obviously don't understand the game. When a college coach evaluates a potential recruit, he looks for the skill set that translates to the college game. The level he plays in high school is way down the list of factors a coach considers. If you remember Alan Neilsen from Westby, or Criswell..... both were Class C kids who excelled at the Division I level. And neither of these two had the overall skill set that Malatare has. Both were basically great outside shooters, but lacked many of the other skills that Malatare has. He is a complete ball player, with no holes in his game except for his size. Even his lack of size is not as big a deterrent as some might think, because of his savvy on defense. He is one of the smartest defenders I have seen in high school at anticipating passes and filling passing lanes, which allows him multiple steals each game.

I may be wrong about this kid, but I don't think so. He will be a great Division I BB player for somebody, providing he can overcome the Indian curse that seems to follow many reservation kids to college.

I've been supportive of UM giving him a scholarship but one question I don't have answer to is: Has he competed in any summer AAU events/tournaments/etc. during his HS years?

This is the path most D1 players take...lots of summer tournaments playing on "all star" type teams with and against other good players from around the region/country. These are recruited heavily by all levels of college coaches. Recruits are compared playing against each. No "AA, A , B ,C" at AAU's.

Again, I don't have the answer to the question but it's a mark against Malatare if he hasn't. In today's game if you haven't ever played theses events it's more of a risk to offer scholarship than if he has. And if he has, and is a future "Washington, Gonzaga, Utah" recruit, why hasn't one D1 or D2 team offered him a scholarship? Did he get lots of steals by anticipating passes in a big AAU tourney last summer in Seattle? Or Vegas? or even Spokane?

Oh.....and Alan Nielsen was 6'7" and shot lights out from today's 3 point line, passed well and rebounded and defended pretty well.....he was 7 inches taller than Malatare. Criswell 6'3" shot lights out too and played with strength and physicality.

Anxious to hear if anyone knows about Malatare's summer basketball experiences...spinnin' circles around the guys at the Arlee gym and Polson 3 on 3 aren't enough!

Latest posts

Back