• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz losing 3 players...

WyomingGrizFan said:
'68griz said:
I have heard not very complimentary things about Shannon. I don't really want to believe them but ....

I found it strange that whenever Shannon was talking to someone, that is, when on the bench, that she'd cover her mouth and speak in the aside, so to speak. I didn't know the other teams were reading lips out there!!! Makes me uncomfortable.

Maybe I'm missing something here but doesn't the elephant in the room point to her recent recruits? I mean, Msla Sentinel has a decent girls program but how many more very mediocre recruits does she have to secure from that pipeline that really didn't show me much over the last couple years. Just guessing here but maybe it has something to do with extreme favoritism? That is one thing that will drive players right out the door and in a hurry. Tabbing these girls early and them being her daughters/daughters friends has to lead to bias.

Btown said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
'68griz said:
I have heard not very complimentary things about Shannon. I don't really want to believe them but ....

I found it strange that whenever Shannon was talking to someone, that is, when on the bench, that she'd cover her mouth and speak in the aside, so to speak. I didn't know the other teams were reading lips out there!!! Makes me uncomfortable.

Maybe I'm missing something here but doesn't the elephant in the room point to her recent recruits? I mean, Msla Sentinel has a decent girls program but how many more very mediocre recruits does she have to secure from that pipeline that really didn't show me much over the last couple years. Just guessing here but maybe it has something to do with extreme favoritism? That is one thing that will drive players right out the door and in a hurry. Tabbing these girls early and them being her daughters/daughters friends has to lead to bias.

Did that factor into playing time for those that went to games?

Really hard to know where the program is at this point. Hard to lose your two best basketball players for two years in a row. They were better this year, but obviously the program was missing the type of talent that could further close the gap.

Strange looking at the women’s program, comparing it to where it was traditionally and looking at where it is now. There are three teams in the conference that are clearly better at this point, and I don’t know the program is trending in the right direction. The unplanned departures and forwhatever reasons they departed, doesn’t help for next years prospects or the near future.

I doubt any of the five incoming girls (save Mayhue) are going to provide the type of direct impact the team sorely needs. Frolich and Schweyen were two of the states best, but it is hard to know if that translates to improving the roster immediately. Don’t know. Someone who has watched girls basketball might be able to provide more.

I think there’s a sea change going on in all sports nationwide based a several things. Players are burning out sooner because they start sooner and play more during the off-season. As they burn out they see the big picture, as in their future, more clearly. Sports in college are a burden, you don’t know how well you’ll do or if someone will get recruited in over you (especially sucky if it’s the coach’s kids and friends) or where your scholarship stands. You have to deal with injuries, lack of social life, etc. If you’re riding the bench and not getting enough aid, the prospect of dumping all that baggage has to look relieving. Just isn’t as glamorous as it used to be imo.

getgrizzy said:
I think there’s a sea change going on in all sports nationwide based a several things. Players are burning out sooner because they start sooner and play more during the off-season. As they burn out they see the big picture, as in their future, more clearly. Sports in college are a burden, you don’t know how well you’ll do or if someone will get recruited in over you (especially sucky if it’s the coach’s kids and friends) or where your scholarship stands. You have to deal with injuries, lack of social life, etc. If you’re riding the bench and not getting enough aid, the prospect of dumping all that baggage has to look relieving. Just isn’t as glamorous as it used to be imo.

I think is becoming a bigger factor as well. I think it is more so in these kids that isolate on one sport like basketball and do AAU or traveling teams year around at the expense of becoming more well rounded and doing other sports. Burn out is real and the grind of college sports is not necessarily worth the money you get for it.

grizatwork said:
getgrizzy said:

I think is becoming a bigger factor as well. I think it is more so in these kids that isolate on one sport like basketball and do AAU or traveling teams year around at the expense of becoming more well rounded and doing other sports. Burn out is real and the grind of college sports is not necessarily worth the money you get for it.

In working in sports medicine, I see a whole lot of this as overuse injuries. More often than not, they are single, year round sport players. happens all the time. When you tell a kid they need to hold off a bit, well, let's just say it doesn't go over well. I just tell them and let it be what it is. Would love to follow them all and see where/how they end up on the injury curve.

My oldest daughter is pretty good at a variety of sports, with soccer probably being her best. There are people telling me she needs to start travel teams and play soccer exclusively. I just roll my eyes and tell them "I've got this".

grizatwork said:
getgrizzy said:

I would add that burn out is even more likely when the coaching staff makes the team experience miserable. The word in common use today is: "Climate".

There's a girl that just signed with Bozo that beat our recruits in the last 2 state championships. Athletic as anybody in the State, but didn't fit the mold for some reason. This program doesn't seem to be trending postitively.

AZDoc said:
grizatwork said:
getgrizzy said:

In working in sports medicine, I see a whole lot of this as overuse injuries. More often than not, they are single, year round sport players. happens all the time. When you tell a kid they need to hold off a bit, well, let's just say it doesn't go over well. I just tell them and let it be what it is. Would love to follow them all and see where/how they end up on the injury curve.

My oldest daughter is pretty good at a variety of sports, with soccer probably being her best. There are people telling me she needs to start travel teams and play soccer exclusively. I just roll my eyes and tell them "I've got this".

As a self employed physical therapist I can attest to this. Kids over training is good for business unfortunately.

grizd said:
There's a girl that just signed with Bozo that beat our recruits in the last 2 state championships. Athletic as anybody in the State, but didn't fit the mold for some reason. This program doesn't seem to be trending postitively.

Yep. Kamden Holborn point guard from Helena High. Co-Class AA MVP. The Bobcat Women also have 2 Seton Hall transfers who will be eligible this coming season. And it looks like they are getting a transfer forward who started last year at North Dakota.
Cat-Women are trending upward, while the Lady Griz are shedding players right and left. Cats look like contenders next year. Lady Griz look like bottom-dwellers.

grizatwork said:
AZDoc said:
grizatwork said:
getgrizzy said:

As a self employed physical therapist I can attest to this. Kids over training is good for business unfortunately.

I wasn't going to say that...but no doubt! :lol:

maroonandsilver said:
grizd said:

Yep. Kamden Holborn point guard from Helena High. Co-Class AA MVP. The Bobcat Women also have 2 Seton Hall transfers who will be eligible this coming season. And it looks like they are getting a transfer forward who started last year at North Dakota.
Cat-Women are trending upward, while the Lady Griz are shedding players right and left. Cats look like contenders next year. Lady Griz look like bottom-dwellers.

And she appears to be best friends with the other co-MVP, another Helena girl that has verballed to UM. I hope this doesn't sway her away too.

grizd said:
maroonandsilver said:
grizd said:

And she appears to be best friends with the other co-MVP, another Helena girl that has verballed to UM. I hope this doesn't sway her away too.
Jamie Pickens has already signed with the Griz, so you have her. That said, as we have noted players are transferring like crazy now-a-days.

BTW speaking of transfers. There is a highly coveted Pac-12 guard transfer that both the Griz and Bobcats (not to mentions U of Seattle and NAU )are after. She has already visited Bozeman, but I do not know if she has visited Missoula yet. The Griz got on a little late, but are very much in the mix. Both the Griz and Bobcats (and I assume Seattle) recruited her out of high school but her senior year her recruiting really took off. I have heard she has the option of returning to her current school. I have been expecting some type of an announcement the past week, but nothing. I would guess no announcement could mean she is returning to her current school. Oh she has 3 years eligibility plus a redshirt.

Mslacat said:
grizd said:
maroonandsilver said:
grizd said:

Jamie Pickens has already signed with the Griz, so you have her. That said, as we have noted players are transferring like crazy now-a-days.

BTW speaking of transfers. There is a highly coveted Pac-12 guard transfer that both the Griz and Bobcats (not to mentions U of Seattle and NAU )are after. She has already visited Bozeman, but I do not know if she has visited Missoula yet. The Griz got on a little late, but are very much in the mix. Both the Griz and Bobcats (and I assume Seattle) recruited her out of high school but her senior year her recruiting really took off. I have heard she has the option of returning to her current school. I have been expecting some type of an announcement the past week, but nothing. I would guess no announcement could mean she is returning to her current school. Oh she has 3 years eligibility plus a redshirt.

Thought Pickens was a 2019 verbal??

go96griz said:
Mslacat said:
grizd said:
maroonandsilver said:

Pickens was a junior this year and she just gave a verbal commitment to the lady griz. Holborn will certainly be a good player for the cats, but the lady griz need size and Pickens should be a good player. Pickens had a higher scoring average than Holborn and averaged over 8 rebounds. Both of those stats may be better than the sentinel players coming to the lady griz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrueGriz said:
go96griz said:
Mslacat said:
grizd said:

Pickens was a junior this year and she just gave a verbal commitment to the lady griz. Holborn will certainly be a good player for the cats, but the lady griz need size and Pickens should be a good player. Pickens had a higher scoring average than Holborn and averaged over 8 rebounds. Both of those stats may be better than the sentinel players coming to the lady griz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, so has she signed a LOI or just just verbally stated it was her intention to next fall. I thought the latter which would make her very much in play for the cats or others.

Back